S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #21
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

How about Diego though...

1:04:47 and finishing almost a full 5:00 in front of Joey Mantia. Now that's a feat in that wind.

Wow, just WOW!
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #22
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
How about Diego though...

1:04:47 and finishing almost a full 5:00 in front of Joey Mantia. Now that's a feat in that wind.

Wow, just WOW!
And from what I read he skated a long time solo... truly amazing. You have to figure without the headwind, he would have been right there for the record and the money.
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #23
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Saturday was the coldest weather I've ever skated in - it was brutal, especially with the wind. I can't decide whether I would prefer last year's driving rain or this year's freezing cold

It was my slowest marathon time, which was actually shocking despite the cold/wind. I really thought we were moving, especially since we had such a large group, right up until the end. There were a lot of attacks, which I'm not quite used to - a good number of them being led out by Tigger! (Susan), the newbie to marathons! This girl is amazing I tell you! A larger group also means more opportunity for catastrophe, and there were quite a few - at least three I can recall. I cringe every time I hear a shriek and the sound of somebody making contact with the ground. The last time it happened was just a couple miles before the finish line - a girl in front of me hit a crack that stopped her skate and went down hard, face down it looked like. The girl directly in front of me and I had to do an acrobatic maneuver to avoid her, and barely missed her. I hope everyone that crashed (especially her, it looked bad) is ok.

As for my finish - it's just a solidification of what I'm lacking and what I need to work on. I was near the front of the pack starting the climb near the finish, and knowing this is where I have an advantage I jumped out and ran up the hill as fast as I could. I was in the lead coming up the hill, down it and into the last corner, where I was taken over in the sprint (Tigger was one of them!) I'm happy with my results, but I know if I really want to get better I have to start doing indoor or at least sprinting some more. I have no excuse not to other than I just don't like it

I'm sorry I missed some of you. Tom, we saw a big group of Rainbow skaters after the finish and were looking for you, but didn't see you. Maybe next time! Mike, not sure how I managed to miss you the whole weekend

Way to go Tigger!!!!!!
909 Susan Welch 160 3/126 9/1066 1:37:27 3:43
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #24
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I'm sorry I missed some of you. Tom, we saw a big group of Rainbo[w] skaters after the finish and were looking for you, but didn't see you. Maybe next time!
I was probably still skating! Great time Tigger - you've made some *amazing* progress!
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #25
The Major

I'll take this year's cold over last years rain any day. It was only cold right before the start. Once the race started I didn't notice the cold that much. I did really feel the wind once we got closer to town. It was a big factor the entire race. Any of you should not use this race as a bench mark in terms of time. None of the times were fast in less your last name was Rosero.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #26
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
I'll take this year's cold over last years rain any day. It was only cold right before the start. Once the race started I didn't notice the cold that much. I did really feel the wind once we got closer to town. It was a big factor the entire race. Any of you should not use this race as a bench mark in terms of time. None of the times were fast in less your last name was Rosero.
I guess I wouldn't have done a 1:30 time then. More likely a 1:50+
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #27
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Wow, great reports and great skating, everyone. Don, sorry you had such a tough time of it.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #28
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Tigger, I'm copying your report in here - hope you don't mind. I forgot about the mix-up with the guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Sept. 15th -- NSIM

I raced with the Advanced women (or was it Wave A? Why is there no consistency between the group names across races??? I know cycling has its problems, but at least we had consistent names for the categories ). I said hello to Jessica before the start, and recognized several other women from the SPIM.

It was cold and windy (30 degrees at the start, and I think 6-12 mph cross/headwinds), making for some tough decisions on how much to wear. During the race, I saw plenty of people who appeared to have cramped up in the cold, and was glad I decided to go with tights, a long sleeve jersey, and a short-sleeve jersey on top.

My impression of the pack I was in was that the wind really held us together. There were several solo jumps, and a couple jumps with 2-3 people that I thought could have gone, but we never got enough people working together making a real jump from the pack to get away.

There were 6-8 skaters doing nearly all the pulls (Jessica, Heather P., Martha, Vickie, Lynne, a couple others, and I did what I could). As it worked out, nearly all of us stayed together through the race. There was one crash at the beginning and several more toward the end, but no serious injuries of which I know.

We had some trouble passing a couple packs. Especially on the off-ramp from I-35, there was a pack that would not get out of our way. Some of the guys would move to the right, and others went left to take advantage of a passing opportunity. Most everyone else was excellent about letting us by, but this blocking nearly made more of us crash since we were skating over debris in the left shoulder of the off-ramp, and allowed skaters we had just dropped to catch back up.

Then, on the hill up to the bridge over I-35, the decisive move was made. I was planning on making it, but never got the chance. Jessica tore up that hill like she was being pulled up it. I followed her and one other skater to the right of the rest of the pack, and we pushed over the top of the bridge. I admit I was scared after hopping over a couple downed skaters and almost crashing while passing the men's pack. I couldn't force myself to be aggressive enough in the descent, but Jess sure was! She took a great line through the torn-up corner, and pushed it as hard as she could to the finish. I made a more conservative descent and pushed it after the corner. I was thinking "too bad I'm not a sprinter" but then thought "well, who says I'm not?" I surprised myself by passing one woman after the final corner and closing in on (but not passing) one more.

Overall: my second race was another fantastic learning experience. I learned how to maneuver within the pack, and got a pretty good feel for what to expect from the other skaters. Next time, I'd like to be more bold, not to mention more solid on my skates. There are a bunch of strong women in that pack, and I'd love to see us making some breaks. And I'd like to pass along a huge "thank you!" to all the volunteers, all the folks we passed who encouraged us, and especially all the women within the pack who skate hard but fairly... it is having others like that around that makes this so much fun!
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #29
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
...As for my finish - it's just a solidification of what I'm lacking and what I need to work on.....
... I'm happy with my results, but I know if I really want to get better I have to start ....
Disney ........... #2
Saint Paul ...... #2
North Shore ... #2

Are you sure you don't work for AVIS?
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #30
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Hah!!! Yes, I do see a pattern emerging - but one that will be broken in three weeks if I can help it
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #31
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. The cold was a factor only in warming up, and it really called into question if the race was worth it. I wore only a skinsuit with arm warmers, but once we started, the cold completely went away within a quarter mile. The only time i noticed it was when i tried to get the cap off my water bottle. Also, it was hard to drink and swallow at race pace when my face was chilled as it was. Talking to Jeremy Anderson afterward, he mention that only his fingers were cold. The only thing i;d do different next year is have gloves (with fingers, not just palm sliders) available just in case.

Wind really took it;s toll. It was a factor for anyone up front of the paceline, and every turn i took pulling, it was really evident. And when i tucked back into the pacelines, it was one of those "oh my god, are we really going this slow?" I have to attribute this to the wind.

Cramping hit several folks i talked to including myself. I thought it was due to the wind, but someone was trying to tell me that it was due to the cold. Probably a bit of both.

But in the final analysis, besides how unpleasant the cold was before the race, this was a good event. The wind was something we have to expect occassionally, and i;ve skated races alone in 30MPH headwinds, so this was a factor, but nothing we shouldn't be prepared for. The cold was not ideal, but at least on the surface, it was a non-issue once the race started. Maybe it effected times in less obvious ways, i don't know....

Times were well off of everyone;s PBs, probably due to the wind. I think it effected how pacelines functioned quite a bit, and it seems like those strong enough to rough it out alone faired better as evidenced by a couple of very strong solo effort times in Pro Open (Diego Rosero) and Pro Vet (Luis Mieja). That's my read of it.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #32
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Congrats to everyone!
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #33
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

OK, a more detail story of mine......

My plan was really simple, get as much warm-up as possible (a repeat of what I did in St. Paul), get on either of the first 3 packs and stays till the end. But the weather was making the race miserable for almost everyone.

In the morning, the temperature was in 30's, something I had never experienced before. My face, fingers and feet were numb before the race. I tried to get as much warm-up as possible, but I could hardly skate at all. My feet were so numb to the point that I could not feel the edges, nor keep the weight at the heel. I had to stop repeatedly during the warm-up to check whether my boots were too tight or not. It's definitely not easy to tie laces when the fingers were numb!

So, at the start line, I had the feeling that things might get really wrong during this race, as I didn't have enough warm-up plus the coldness. The start was fairly slow, and I decided not to push hard, just tried to find an easy paceline to get in. I stuck with one, but had to drop to another one, and the same thing repeatedly because I felt like I had no control over my own stability. Plus, the ankles started to get uncomfortable, so by mile 2, I had to give up and went into "damage-control" mode and skated by myself while pacelines after pacelines went by.

To make things worse, my eyes started to "fog" up, due to the dry and cold air. It's painful and irritating. I was practically skating half-blind for the whole race. When the sun finally came up, it's worse because of the glare. I could see where other skaters were, but I couldn't see any road hazards at all, and I had to trust the person ahead of me.

That was hard for me, after so much preperation for the race, and I was struck by something I wasn't (and couldn't) prepare for and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I limped for a while, and things started get a little bit better.

About mile 6, a small paceline came by. Despite the pain, I decided to jump on. Things started to get a little easier, by mile 8 I was almost recovered. Then a critical move, a very fast paceline came by, I said to myself this is a train I can't afford to miss. I took off and jumped on. That's the paceline I stayed with for the remainder of the race.

Most of the skaters in that paceline were from the wave behind. The momentum was pretty amazing, because it kept passing other pacelines with ease, and picking more and more skaters in the process. I was also surprised by how cooperative everyone was. Everyone did his fair share of pulling (it wasn't easy in the wind), and no sudden acceleration or deceleration. Basically everyone was trying to keep the paceline in a good shape. I pulled quite a lot towards the last 1/3 of the race. There're 2 instances when 2 or 3of the faster skaters starting to pull away, I managed to drag the whole paceline back to them. By the time we hit Lemon Drop Hill, my muscles were in huge pain (so was everyone).

I did not repeat my mistake from last year by jumping on a paceline too late going downhill. I was able to stay on, but not easliy. The last is the worst place to be, and I kept ending up there. A few times when I was able to slot into the middle of the paceline, it felt so nice because I didn't need to skate hard at all because I was almost "sucked" along by a vaccum ahead of me.

After coming out of the last tunnel, I was in the worst place again. Did an explosive breakaway going up the off-ramp, and passed the entire paceline. But my legs were in such a bad shape by the time I got to the top of the ramp, I couldn't squat down, crossover nor sprint at all. Lost 5 or 6 places before hitting the finish line. But still made up places from the attempt.

I am pretty happy with my result, even though I wasn't skating as good as I did in St. Paul. I was in pacelines for the most of the race, 22 out of 26 miles, more than the rest of the season combined! Almost everything went as planned except the first 6 miles of the race. I had 4 breakaways, all successful.

Some picture and video

JT and Lenny

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=S6300093.flv

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=S6300094.flv

Jessica vs JT on air hockey
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #34
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Whoa, I didn't know there was video being taken!

Even though it doesn't seem like it from the videos, I won that game
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #35
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

I'm glad you guys skate better than you play air hockey!
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #36
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Quote:

Too bad I didn't have video for the moments you guy knock the puck off the table.
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #37
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
I'm glad you guys skate better than you play air hockey!
I believe that is a challenge. I will see you, sir, at the next event-side air hockey table.
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #38
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinghornet View Post
WTH (heck)!!

Ahhh... this picture explains Speedy's marathon time... AND Lenny's marathon time!
panch0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #39
speedysktr
President of Everything

Hilarious pic.
We need a fill in the caption contest for that one.
Congrats on your race Lenny, I'm glad to see you back in the game.

sorry, prank0, I think you're the only homophobic one on the board. A little more skate racing and a little less junior high grade humor (attempt) huh?
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #40
sk8scott

Quote:

Hmm... Are you sure you didn't finish 2nd?

Congrats to all who skated at Northshore, braving the cold and the headwind. I hope it was a fun race despite the elements.

For those who might be down about their finishing times, don't underestimate the effect of a stiff headwind. I used to skate back & forth on the VA Beach boardwalk, and on really windy days it sometimes took more than twice as long to skate the 2.6 miles upwind as it did to go downwind.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote