S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 24th, 2016, 06:21 AM   #21
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Powerdyne has a new "platinum" version of the Arius. Major rework of the trucks and trick new cushions, Hmm. Interestingly, they indicate the new trucks will work on the old plates. I will be looking into this ASAP.
I saw some pictures earlier while on break at work.

Looks like the "new" trucks have done away with the cushion stabilization pins. Supposedly "new" cushions? Would this mean they dont fit in the old style trucks? The odd image view I saw earlier looks like it would choke the action up more.

I hope they fixed the axle issue, maybe they dont know of it.

Also hate on the way the axis pins bushings can wear on the truck and plates.
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #22
ThatRabbit

Default Platinum?

I tried searching for them and haven't found anything. Maybe it's still insider info...?? I'd be curious to see what their all about. I'm having surgery on my shoulder in a couple weeks so I'm not in a huge hurry to buy. Anxious, maybe a little
ThatRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #23
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

http://wickedskatewear.com/powerdyne...numplates.aspx

Appears they have a split cushion setup now. I presume this will entertain the tuner side of people. Where you can set up firm with soft for a difference in compression.
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #24
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRabbit View Post
I tried searching for them and haven't found anything. Maybe it's still insider info...?? I'd be curious to see what their all about. I'm having surgery on my shoulder in a couple weeks so I'm not in a huge hurry to buy. Anxious, maybe a little

Insider?? If you happen to be a Riedell dealer.. There may be some potential here, although the add copy is typical BS. "Unmatched stability and response in a simplified design" I was always under the Impression those capabilities were essentially mutually exclusive @ the unmatched end of the spectrum.. Gotta love sk8 add copy.
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #25
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

so far Ive seen 2 skaters on the Arius....the one guy I see every week. I can say Im impressed how they have held up under some of the abuse he has dished out on them...like jam skating with some big jumps. He hasn't gotten back on his Avantis since skating these for the past few months....
Old February 25th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #26
ThatRabbit

Default Arius Platinum

Okay, so I checked them out. I'm still curious as to how they ride but, I think I'm going to stick with the DA45's like you originally suggested, Doc. The more research I do, the more I'm thinking it's the right direction to go. At least for this build.
Old February 25th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #27
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Okay, so I checked them out. I'm still curious as to how they ride but, I think I'm going to stick with the DA45's like you originally suggested, Doc. The more research I do, the more I'm thinking it's the right direction to go. At least for this build.

"At least for this build"?? be careful. SEDS is highly contagious. I should know..
Old February 26th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #28
ThatRabbit

Default SEDS

I don't know what that means exactly, but after searching the threads I have determined that it has something to do with a obsessive desire to have all of them... Bass guitars, for example. I'm down to three...

I'm headed up to Salem tomorrow after work to try on a pair of Bonts they have in stock. I measured my foot (as explained on Bont's website) and determined that I'm a 7 wide. I've never measured wide in any other shoe so I found that peculiar. Anyhow, she has a 7 reg in stock so I'm going to see how it feels and go from there. I'm pretty flippin' excited. Her prices are much better than anything I've found on the internet so I'll be able to get ceramic bearings and, I'm thinking Shamans, and still come in under budget.
Old February 26th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #29
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

So, how to tell if you are a wide?? Look @ the throat of the boot after you lace up them up. Yes, lace them up both up and tie them like you are going for a roll.

Don't be surprised if you come up wide in a Bont. Their sizing system is a bit peculiar.

Good luck and have fun.
Old February 26th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #30
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default SEDS>>

Quote:
I don't know what that means exactly, but after searching the threads I have determined that it has something to do with a obsessive desire to have all of them... Bass guitars, for example. I'm down to three...
Skate Equipment Deficiency Syndrome. First sticky @ the top of Ask Doc Sk8. If you are selling Bass guitars, you are accumulating funds for more sk8s.
Old February 27th, 2016, 12:10 AM   #31
ThatRabbit

Quote:
Skate Equipment Deficiency Syndrome. First sticky @ the top of Ask Doc Sk8. If you are selling Bass guitars, you are accumulating funds for more sk8s.
Hopefully I won't be selling any more. There's really only two things I like in this world.. Going fast and playing loud.

Back on topic. What's your opinion of the Bones Turbo wheels?
Old February 27th, 2016, 04:11 AM   #32
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Back on topic. What's your opinion of the Bones Turbo wheels?
I was all about those in 101a until I got my Corey Phantoms in VFH. The Turbos wear quick. Our floor does not really care if we have grooves on out wheels. Several of the local derby sk8rs use 'em, everything from 92 to 101s. YMMV
Old February 28th, 2016, 01:50 AM   #33
ThatRabbit

Default So I tried on some Bonts

I can't say that I was at all disappointed, but I also don't feel like I was completely sold. I tried on a pair of Blue Streaks as well. The shop is ordering a pair on red line 595 so I can try the three on and make my decision. She kept mentioning something about the durability/longevity of the Bonts. What's your opinion?

I'm very impressed by the weight and quality of the Avenger mags. I'm absolutely certain that I want to buy those. She's got some Arius Platinums coming in...

Wheels? I was looking at Turbo 92s, but she also has some Bont FXX. I don't know anything about the smaller bearings, would they make a difference in my roll?
Old February 28th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #34
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
I can't say that I was at all disappointed, but I also don't feel like I was completely sold. I tried on a pair of Blue Streaks as well. The shop is ordering a pair on red line 595 so I can try the three on and make my decision. She kept mentioning something about the durability/longevity of the Bonts. What's your opinion?

See my note on Bont durability in the Quad forum..

I'm very impressed by the weight and quality of the Avenger mags. I'm absolutely certain that I want to buy those. She's got some Arius Platinums coming in...

Wheels? I was looking at Turbo 92s, but she also has some Bont FXX. I don't know anything about the smaller bearings, would they make a difference in my roll?
Sk8ing physics:

1) Try boots on to assure the fit. How they feel will depend on how they are put together and how you sk8. So you really don't know until you roll.
2) Avengers are not real happy on soft wheels unless you have them so cranked down they don't turn. The DA45 action will typically let you roll 3-5 points more Shore A for any given compound on any given floor.
3) The FXX wheels are not as hard as they are marked. In fact I have checked several sets. They all seem to be 88 or 89 vs what ever they are marked. Bont Royal Assassins @ 95A will most likely work better than the 92 Turbos or any of the FXX wheels. My preferred wheel is a VFH (+100A) Corey Sk8s Phantom (essentially the same as the Royal Assassin. Scott Corey pours those too) Yeah I love the micro bearings. They got a bad rap when the inline guys tried to introduce them, and there were 2 different sizes available. 8 x 16 x 5mm (micro) and 8 x 19 x 5mm (mini) and the retail end was not technically literate enough to tell them apart. But then again, I don't get real wrapped up in all the bearing hype.

As in all this stuff, it's my personal take. YMMV
Old February 28th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #35
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:

Leather soles for this guy. Most bont reviews about durability need to be taken with a grain of salt. Derby is hard on gear.

If you thought the mags were light, the Arius is about 100 grams lighter. Dunno how much weight it put on between the original version and the platinum tho

Fxx are lighter than turbos, and the grip is crazy. I think they are softer than the rating suggests. For that price maybe take a consideration at royal assassins or phantoms. Aussie thane just takes TONS of abuse. Fxx and assassins weigh about the same 91grams or so. Turbos weigh 128 or so. I havent noticed any problems with roll myself.

Love the set of 95A assassins. Everyone does. They all want those wheels. Our rink is middle ground of grip.

Wrote that yesterday, but was waiting for docs response : p
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #36
ThatRabbit

Quote:
Sk8ing physics:

1) Try boots on to assure the fit. How they feel will depend on how they are put together and how you sk8. So you really don't know until you roll.

[B] So I tried on a pair of fitting boots because the 7s Bonts website sizing calculator told me that's what I was and they were too short. The 7.5 was great in length and didn't feel narrow. I did have some heel slippage, however, they were a fitting boot, didn't have the top strap, and weren't heat molded to my foot.

2) Avengers are not real happy on soft wheels unless you have them so cranked down they don't turn. The DA45 action will typically let you roll 3-5 points more Shore A for any given compound on any given floor.

I wasn't aware of this. So on the wood floor I will be skating mostly I would normally use a 92a or so, I could actually go up a few points... Good to know

3) The FXX wheels are not as hard as they are marked. In fact I have checked several sets. They all seem to be 88 or 89 vs what ever they are marked. Bont Royal Assassins @ 95A will most likely work better than the 92 Turbos or any of the FXX wheels. My preferred wheel is a VFH (+100A) Corey Sk8s Phantom (essentially the same as the Royal Assassin. Scott Corey pours those too) Yeah I love the micro bearings. They got a bad rap when the inline guys tried to introduce them, and there were 2 different sizes available. 8 x 16 x 5mm (micro) and 8 x 19 x 5mm (mini) and the retail end was not technically literate enough to tell them apart. But then again, I don't get real wrapped up in all the bearing hype.

I won't be able to get any Corey's anytime soon since they're custom poured. The RAs are a bit pricier but that blue is incredible delicious looking. It seems to be only in a 92a though. As far as the bearings go, I didn't think it would make a bit of a difference, and the amount of weight you save is astonishing. I'm trying to find out what the availability is like.

As in all this stuff, it's my personal take. YMMV
You've gained my trust in skate matters, and I appreciate your input. I just wish I could make my mind up with the boot thing..
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #37
ThatRabbit

Apparently I need to work on my bold tactics..
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #38
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Placement of the front part of the plate is critical. Getting the fore / aft position is usually straight forward. Centering the plate get tricky. Ideally, the plate is centered on the boot at the front axle. This keeps the skate from pulling one way or another. Since Bonts don't have a clearly defined sole like a Riedell, finding the center can be challenging.
What he said. Takes a fair bit of study to get them placed correctly. Definitely not something one can just "eyeball".
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:24 AM   #39
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Exclamation Leather soles?? Really.

Leather soles are an abomination on sk8s. Nothing like using 17th century technology in the 21st. The chemicals used in tanning do not go away. The moisture from the sk8r and the world in general combines with the chemicals into a ticking time bomb. Since almost every plate in the world is held on with some sort of galvanized steel fastener, which is not what the plates are made if they are metal, well... There is always a galvanic response.

I have yet to see any kind of plate corrosion on a rubber or composite sole. I never see any kind of composite sole wrap around a plate after extended use and don't remember when I have seen a rubber sole fail like that (may have, but don't remember when). Why do ya think I had a ratted out OG 395 red line converted to a blue line with a 125 sole (besides to annoy the "traditionalists", that is?? ) The boots will be getting an Ultimate plate before too long. Rubber and magnesium are much happier together.

My 2 cents, YMMV...
Old February 29th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #40
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Personally I didn't like the sole on the bont I had after I got to skating it.(not sure if all older skaters would like or dislike it) It was harder to get feedback from it, maybe a less stiff composite would have a better feel? I dont know if other skaters may have similar reviews on that or not. Everything was SUPER rigid with that setup. I don't suppose it would have been as bad on a traditional kingpin.

The weight was great though. Just couldn't seem to get used to the soles. The probe plate glued to that carrera is kind of the middle ground between the leather and the composite on that bont.

Galvanic responses would happen with or without the sole material in the mix with the salt from sweat eventually getting down to the hardware, or another catalyst from the outside of the boot. Wouldn't it? It's a bit late so im unsure at this point.