S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #1
likeflying

Default Never Too Old To Skate!!

I am a 63 yr old retired woman with husb, 2 grown sons, 3 cats and 2 dogs who is finally skating like I have thought about doing for 23 yrs!!! Of course I skated as a kid- on the sidewalk with those disgusting skates with a key but also at a rink with nice skates. Years later at the age of 35 or so and always looking for a fun way to exercise, I bought a pair of the skates that are tennis shoes with wheels on them. I went outside for short periods but was discouraged that I did not get the hang of it. For yrs I told myself that I needed lessons so I could do it right- my goal was to skate outside on bike paths, streets, where ever. In the fall of 2007 I saw an article in my neighborhood paper about a nearby rink having a class just for us older folk and I decided that was for me. It took me another few months to get up the courage and I went in December. I could not believe the fantastic skaters there (some over 70), as well as beginners like me. I have been going every week and am so proud that I actually put one of my goals into reality. I don't skate very fast and I am getting better every week. By April when we have beautiful days, I hope to skate outside. I am not really fond of rinks or bowling alleys- I love the great outdoors!! And when I found this forum, I was soooo excited. It came up when I googled a problem I have- aching feet when I have skated not very long- 10 minutes. I suppose it makes sense because I am totally unrelaxed and worried about falling. Hello to you all!!!!

Last edited by likeflying; January 19th, 2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: used wrong too
likeflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #2
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Welcome to the forum & congrats on making some of your goals!! You will find lots of suport, advice, & info here from skaters that are "old", "young", & "well within your age range". (age is truly relative on sk8s ) Good Luck & keep us posted!!
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #3
ShortnBlondeSk8r

Welcome to the forum. You'll love this place.
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #4
giarc25

Welcome aboard, glad to hear you are out there doing what you always wanted to do!
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #5
NWGlenn

Welcome aboard... we need more of us "Diamond +" types here.

You're rolling on quad skates - they're fine for the rink but if you do outdoors skating you're better off with some rec inlines. Check with your instructor for some tips and maybe rent a pair of inlines to practice with. The inlines can cope with debris and pavement irregularities much better than quads. Best of Luck!!

Glenn

p.s.: don't worry about spelling or parsing... we're not allowed to grade each other's grammar.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Larry_PA
When life was simple

Welcome to the board. I started skating again in July of this year. I love it. Like you I prefer outdoors, but skating in the rink is fun too. When you do go outside make sure you get some armor..knee pads, wrist & elbow pads, and a helmet. Boomers like ourselves don't heal as quickly as we did 30 some years ago.

Good skating!!!
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM   #7
73watermutt
I skate in circles

welcome
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:07 AM   #8
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Hey Likeflying, Welcome to the best skating forum. Sage advice is to be had here. I like your spirit and plan. I skate both quads and inlines, rink and trail. I prefer the trail as you are actually going someplace and it is pretty. Armor and helmet are very good choices. At 59 I find I do not go as fast, do not do the fancy tricks, and have no desire to do anything but have fun. I will look for your posts and good luck with this.
Phil
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #9
Skatervideoguy

Hi likeflying,

Great to hear you want to skate. It's a great activity.

But, I would add to what Larry_PA said, please also get and wear a football type under garment that you can wear the hip and coccyx pads. As a female you are more subject to the knee, hip, wrist, arm fractures than us guys. Going down on any sidewalk, street, or parking lot (let alone a Rink floor) can break any of those parts. You don't want that. Even one break can end your skating career.

At age 61, I wear knee pads, elbow pads, and the hip & coccyx pads. I skate only indoors. Since Rinks in my area are mostly asphalt or concrete with plastic overlays, I don't want to break or bruise something from my 6' 4" - 200 lb. frame hitting the floor. Safety Padding is the only reason I can still skate, as I'm not naturally coordinated, and I've taken many many falls that would have broken something without those pads. I'd like to keep skating for at least another 20 yrs.

Harold

Last edited by Skatervideoguy; October 9th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #10
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

that is SO awesome to hear from someone over 60!! I was so moved by your post . Glad you got up enough courage to go along with the classes and hope you continue to enjoy what has now seem to become my life within the past few months ( started back after a 13 year strech). Anyways

L8ta Sk8ta
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #11
cehowardrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi likeflying,

Great to hear you want to skate. It's a great activity.

But, I would add to what Larry_PA said, please also get and wear a football type under garment that you can wear the hip and coccyx pads. As a female you are more subject to the knee, hip, wrist, arm fractures than us guys. Going down on any sidewalk, street, or parking lot can break those parts. You don't want that.

At age 61, I wear knee pads, elbow pads, and the hip & coccyx pads. I skate only indoors. Since Rinks in my area are mostly asphalt or concrete with plastic overlays, I don't want to break or bruise something from my 6' 4" - 200 lb. frame hitting the floor. It's the only reason I can still skate, as I'm not naturally coordinated, and I've taken many falls that would have broken something without those pads. I'd like to keep skating for at least another 20 yrs.

Harold
Looks like we got a 60+ crew here, and I might as well jump in.

This be my first post too. I am 67, and I haven't skated in some 45 or more years, until last week. I slipped and I slid, didn't fall, and I had super big fun. Going back tonight for my second adventure.

I noticed you wear a lot of protective gear. I think I need some of that too.
I am 6'3", and only weigh 139 lbs, and can't stand to cut my little finger. Sheesh, I might even put a pillow on me tongiht!!

Right now, I am only going to stick to the indoors, but if the bug gets me, I will go outdoors too.

Next week, I will have on some protective gear, that's for sure..
cehowardrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #12
cehowardrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post
that is SO awesome to hear from someone over 60!! I was so moved by your post . Glad you got up enough courage to go along with the classes and hope you continue to enjoy what has now seem to become my life within the past few months ( started back after a 13 year strech). Anyways

L8ta Sk8ta
Hey, where you been? Life begins at 60!!! All ya gotta be is YOUNG AT HEART!!
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:05 AM   #13
peter

If you do want to skate outside and you ar happy with quad skates get some outdoor wheels. My son plays roller hockey indoors on 95A's and switches to Hyper Rollo 78A's for outside.

60+? I will be joining that group in a couple of years. I plan to stop doing many things when I am 60, but skating isn't one of them. Having had two knee operations and no longer being able to run, I was really pleased that I could still skate. Like others here, I am quite happy to skate forward most of the time, slowly and steadily, with no desire to perform tricks or race flat out.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM   #14
oldiesk8er

Anybody got an idea of just how many of us, over 60's, there are on the forum?
oldiesk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM   #15
Larry_PA
When life was simple

I am not 60 yet...be 58 this month. I think there are quite a few of us "Baby Boomers" here. Ok...everybody 55 and older raise your hand!!!
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:26 PM   #16
xlracer

Welcome to the forum. Just remember the floor is alot harder now. At least it felt that way last night when I took a spill at speed practice. I am 47 and have not raced since 1989. After I fell, I looked at the coach who was laughing. I said man I am glad I finally got that over with. His reply "yea now you know you will survive one now get back on the track."
Got my first floor burn in over 20 years.OH YEA! Now I am skating.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #17
quadbob

Default and bactine still

welcome back tracy now your official you have been crisened buy the roll on. oh and the bactine doesn't sting either hope your ok.
quadbob
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #18
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Hi LikeFlying and all you gray panthers who like to prowl on skates. My story is much like yours as I got my first inline's at age 62 after not skating for several generations. At 70 I'm skating 3-4 times a week on a nearby trail and loving it. From recreational to racing, count me in but I mainly skate for fitness and and always for fun.

Do wear protective gear as healing at our age is slower and more painful. A happy day for older skaters (younger too!) is a day without bengay, neosporim or tagaderm!

Our local paper, the Orlando Sentinel also ran an article several years ago on a 70's group skating at a Kissimmee rink. Good stuff and good exercise for seniors with proper gear and training. I recently read that if you can get yourself up off the floor without assistance, you're not too old or fat to skate.

Maybe we need to have a "Golden Oldies" thread for the encouragement and information for older skaters. How about it Kathy? Until then, ...

LezSk8!
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #19
cehowardrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
Hi LikeFlying and all you gray panthers who like to prowl on skates. My story is much like yours as I got my first inline's at age 62 after not skating for several generations. At 70 I'm skating 3-4 times a week on a nearby trail and loving it. From recreational to racing, count me in but I mainly skate for fitness and and always for fun.

Do wear protective gear as healing at our age is slower and more painful. A happy day for older skaters (younger too!) is a day without bengay, neosporim or tagaderm!

Our local paper, the Orlando Sentinel also ran an article several years ago on a 70's group skating at a Kissimmee rink. Good stuff and good exercise for seniors with proper gear and training. I recently read that if you can get yourself up off the floor without assistance, you're not too old or fat to skate.

Maybe we need to have a "Golden Oldies" thread for the encouragement and information for older skaters. How about it Kathy? Until then, ...

LezSk8!
You my hero!! 70+ and banging 3 or 4 times a week, way to go!!! (big thumb up)

I am not as advance as you, last night I just skated for a hour, but I had fun, and looking to have more fun.

I am with the "Godlden Oldies" bit, maybe I can recriut some for my team!!

My team..

http://mysite.verizon.net/cehowardrc51/651.jpg
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #20
slipsliding

I am only 55 (never thought I would use both those words in one sentence) and I am really happy to find so many mature people going out there skating because I took my first lesson yesterday and loved it so I plan on learning to actually do it - with the very patient help of Oldisk8tr. Unfortunately, I am not only getting a bit long in the tooth but I am also a bit on the rotund side so hopefully when I take my first pratt fall I do not take him down with me!

Anyway I look forward to finding lots of tips on this site and wish you all many years of happy, accident free skating.
slipsliding is offline   Reply With Quote