S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old May 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
scrapdaddy

Default Why We Don't Allow Public Disputes (was "where o where did he go")

(post deleted - attempt to continue a thread that violated forum guidelines)

Last edited by Kathie Fry; May 12th, 2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: attempt to continue a thread that violated forum guidelines
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2
loony888
oracle of useless info

What kind of place is this?
speed freak gets suspended cause he tried to get a fellow logger to follow through on a sale???
screw the fact that disputes are supposed to be handled in private! it's obvious he tried that with no success. great way to support fellow members of your little community.
i'm outta here.
loony888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

With any luck the admins will cancel your accounts as well.
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #4
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Well speed freak got what he deserved..

I tried to tell him.... to censor his posts.. and retract his statements... but Ooooh no... Noobs gotta know more then the old farts around here..

*shakes head*..

Does that mean I agree with what happened.. OH HECK NO..... in so far as him getting bilked with his transaction.... I told him what to do.. that would get max. awareness from the person he sought after....

But for those of you that want to start throwing rocks at the ADMINS.. broaden your mind for JUST a teenie weeine momento..

PEOPLE THAT OPENLY ACCUSE OTHERS OF THEFT IN A PUBLIC FORUM, BRING RISK OF LAWSUIT TO THOSE THAT ARE PROVIDING ACCESS TO SLING THE POOPY. WHAT THAT MEANS IS FOR THE SAKE OF THE FORUM....YOU MUST NOT GET PERSONAL... and ACCUSE OTHERS OF SUCH THINGS... or WE RISK LOOSING THIS FORUM.

((and Im sorry.. but not.. YOU!.. or anyone else's transactions are worthy of getting SL shut down.. cause you made a dead deal with a DB.))

This place wasnt NOT built to offer the masses means of getting gear... its just a nice side thing.... So.. treat it as you have been directed... or... well.. youll see what happens...

And WHodaThunk.. Id have good advice..
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Forum visitors who are aware of our forum policies, but refuse to comply with them, will have their SkateLog Forum accounts disabled.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Not speaking of specifics regarding any topics but.

Kathie I get all tingly in a good way when you post
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Default I know what this thread needs...

There are other threads that could likely use a similar treatment of course

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #8
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Forum visitors who are aware of our forum policies, but refuse to comply with them, will have their SkateLog Forum accounts disabled.

- Kathie
Kathie 2012!!!!
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
What kind of place is this? speed freak gets suspended cause he tried to get a fellow logger to follow through on a sale??? screw the fact that disputes are supposed to be handled in private! it's obvious he tried that with no success. great way to support fellow members of your little community. i'm outta here.
loony888,

As many of our long-time forum visitors know, I would really prefer *not* to allow buying and selling in the SkateLog Forum, because historically the vast majority of insulting and out-of-control arguments and flame wars in our forum have been between buyers and sellers.

The thing is, any time we bring up the possibility of disallowing all buying and selling in the SkateLog Forum, many of our forum visitors literally beg us to keep our buying and selling forums alive. I am not a huge fan of the buying and selling forums, but because they are so popular, we have agreed to keep them as a courtesy to our forum visitors. Because we care about what they want. But we have only agreed to keep those forums if disputes are handled off line.

You may have noticed the "Buy and Sell at Your Own Risk" warning that appears at the top of each of our selling sub-forums. That warning is posted prominently to let people know exactly what they are getting (and more important, what they are not getting) when they buy and sell in the SkateLog Forum. The warnings were added after a previous debate about whether or not we should allow buying and selling at all. I am not completely comfortable with our selling forums, but the majority of our forum visitors really want us to keep them.

Besides keeping flame wars out of our forums, there's another reason we cannot agree to provide any level of protection for buyers and sellers. We cannot afford an "I was ripped off" lawsuit. If we agree to provide any level of protection, we are vulnerable to lawsuits. The SkateLog Forum is a labor of love maintained by volunteers. We make a bit of income from ads in the forum, but it does not come anywhere near covering the cost of the forum, especially when you consider the man-hours required to address problem posts, keep out spammers, and check out new users before activating their accounts.

Bottom line: There are definitely safer places to buy and sell skates online, for example eBay and similar sites. We highly recommend that skaters use those sites for buying and selling because of the protections they provide.

And a note to the forum visitors who recently found their accounts disabled...

If those forum visitors will agree to willingly comply with our forum policies, and not try to think of creative ways to get around them, we will reactivate their accounts (this time). When I say "willingly" I am not saying they have to agree with our policies, only that they either agree to comply with them, or join a different skating forum... a forum that has policies they can respect.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; May 12th, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

Kathie.... you need more moderators around here. I'm sure there's a few people who would be willing to moderate.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

We do have moderators in this forum, but most of the time they work quietly in the background, and most issues are handled privately.

If you see a problem post or discussion, please report it to us using the "Report Post" link or by sending email to skatelogadmin@gmail.com. We do address problems that are reported to us.

Please note, however, that one person's flame war can be another person's spirited debate. We will not delete someone's posts simply because they are disagreeing with others, even if they are doing it repeatedly.

But that being said, repeatedly insulting other forum visitors, and especially slinging e-barbs at our newest forum visitors, is not acceptable behavior.

We have lost a disappointing number of new forum visitors because of experiences they have had dealing with some of our more angry, insulting, arrogant, or otherwise unpleasant forum visitors.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; May 12th, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #12
rsfaze
Old School™

Ban them all Kathie! It amazes me how people think they are above the rules, just ban them and move on.
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #13
NorCal03

Lightbulb Suspension Question?

Slightly off the path but still on topic. I don’t even know who you guys are talking about but I did see that evidently someone was banned? (sounds like with the possibility of parole at some point).
My question is: Is there a way to know someone is banned? For example if say… Doc was banned for some reason and you were not aware but logged on one day to try and shoot in a wheel/bearing question; how would you know he wasn’t going to get your message?

Is there a “Penalty Box”? If not, maybe there could be so you could look up who was in the box (you know 2 week minor, or say 5 week major) [Status could be Ask Doc section 'short handed' will return to full strength in June (you know, the estimated time to release from the box).

Just a thought
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #14
malajusted
old but still good

On a side note
So the adds (banners )at the top do you want the users to
Use / click through each time to help
..eg you get credit each time thay are used
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfaze View Post
Ban them all Kathie! It amazes me how people think they are above the rules, just ban them and move on.
+1
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
So the adds (banners )at the top do you want the users to Use/click through each time to help ..eg you get credit each time thay are used
No, actually we don't want people to click on those ads if they are doing it only to support the SkateLog Forum, but they have no interested in the product or service being advertised.

We only want forum visitors to click on those ads if they are interested in learning more about the product or service the ad is selling.

But thanks for asking!

- Kathie
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #17
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal03 View Post
Slightly off the path but still on topic. I don’t even know who you guys are talking about but I did see that evidently someone was banned? (sounds like with the possibility of parole at some point).
My question is: Is there a way to know someone is banned? For example if say… Doc was banned for some reason and you were not aware but logged on one day to try and shoot in a wheel/bearing question; how would you know he wasn’t going to get your message?

Is there a “Penalty Box”? If not, maybe there could be so you could look up who was in the box (you know 2 week minor, or say 5 week major) [Status could be Ask Doc section 'short handed' will return to full strength in June (you know, the estimated time to release from the box).

Just a thought
Yeah, that would be nice. I think something happened to someone in this dispute that I had something going with too . I think I was able to locate them otherwise other than here .....
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #18
Dec8rSk8r

Yes, I think he had it coming as we did try to tell him. I just hope others take heed so we don't see a similar thread soon.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #19
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
Yes, I think he had it coming as we did try to tell him. I just hope others take heed so we don't see a similar thread soon.
Not that I enjoy the arguments, but I hope they either get over their egos or post this stuff quick so the can feel the ban hammer
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #20
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

guys GUYS!!! Enough bad has happened already, dang lets just let this pass and get on with skating, the 1 thing we all have in common here, okay?