S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Default 2007 A2A Has Low Registration (again)

The following is an email from one of the A2A organizers to the Inline Club of Boston:

Dear skate club,
Our beloved event A2A is in crisis again, registration has been very low compared to this time last year.

At this point the decision is to have a very minimal event rather than to cancel. We have added a new 10K which should bring in skaters of all abilities. Now we need your help to get the word out.

The mailed flyers will be hitting mailboxes starting today. I had several hundred extras printed, and now I need your help to get them distributed to rinks, retailers, and wherever else around town.

I will try to get to as many local skate events as possible in the next few weeks to hand out flyers to the club which you can then pass out around town. If you would like to arrange to meet to pick up flyers please let me know. Also if you want to print your own, the original is on the web site here: http://www.a2a.net/2007flyer.pdf

For those you know who are NOT distance skaters, please talk up the 10K everywhere you go! This is an event for everyone.

On August 15th we will be having a budget meeting and will decide what we can do with the resources we have. Anything you can do to boost registration before that date will really help! We will have to make decisions about the kind of event we can have based on the trends we are seeing at that time. NOW is the time to pull together and make A2A the best event it can possibly be.

Thank you for your support,
Scott
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Another thing they can do is extend the lowest registration fee. I'm sure they're aware of that. At the moment, I'd like to go but between the foot issue I'm having and the boot crisis (not to mention that one of the metal retaining eyelets for the Z strap on my boots broke) I can't commit.
Jeff
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

I'm just doing the last touch up's on a poster that'll be send to about 200 skaters here in Tampa Bay area.

That will give some more to sign up - I'm positive about that!! Esp. with the new 10K, who can say no then??
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM   #4
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
I'm just doing the last touch up's on a poster that'll be send to about 200 skaters here in Tampa Bay area.

That will give some more to sign up - I'm positive about that!! Esp. with the new 10K, who can say no then??
Lots of confidence there Did you put an attractive picture on the posters or something?
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM   #5
gopherfan

Oh boy, I suspect the future of A2A is limited. If you haven't done an A2A then the time to do it is this year. You won't forget it and the memories will last a lifetime. This is much more than a race, it is a weekend adventure. Arrive in Atlanta in time for the Friday night skate, take the charter bus (not a school bus) to Athens, relax and then skate in beautiful Athens on Saturday. On Sunday you skate back to Atlanta (or any of a number of shorter distances). There are skaters of all speeds and unlike most races, groups try to stay together and enjoy the event together. The sense of accomplishment is amazing and you'll be able to say, "Yeah, I've done A2A." Don't end up saying, "I thought about it, but never got around to doing A2A. I wish I had gotton off my butt and done it."

Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed
by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM   #6
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
You won't forget it and the memories will last a lifetime.
along with all the scars in your feet!
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:28 PM   #7
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nolesfan View Post
Lots of confidence there Did you put an attractive picture on the posters or something?
Well I could tell you, but...

I guess you have to one of the lucky ones to get one of them - or just get you act together and sign up to A2A, then you will not need a picture
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:39 AM   #8
gopherfan

I don't know how many people like to register late, but the numbers are ugly. I counted 146 registrants so far this year versus 386 who skated or DNS'd last year. That's roughly $19,000 they don't have yet compared to last year's budget. Yikes! Hope I didn't jump the gun buying plane tickets a couple weeks ago. I suspect they'll make this year happen after the debacle 2 years ago, but long term it is going to need a transformation. Maybe they should make it an every other year event? Maybe it is just doomed. Where have all the skaters gone?
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote