S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 29th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #61
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I appreciate and respect Breeze for the work he has done for the skating community and hopefully will continue to do. If I thought anyone was trying to sabatoge the new organizers' efforts to keep Squiggy going, or trying to convince skaters not to support the event, I would definitely not support those actions and I would be disappointed to learn anyone would do that. On the other hand, Breeze certainly has a right to pull out of organizing the event, for his own reasons, and let someone else take it over.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; November 5th, 2007 at 04:01 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #62
Jim White

Agree!
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #63
The General
Ninja Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I appreciate and respect Breeze for the work he has done for the skating community and hopefully will continue to do. If I thought anyone was trying to sabatoge the new organizers' efforts to keep Squiggy going, or trying to convince skaters not to support the event, I would definitely not support those actions and I would be disappointed to learn anyone would do that. On the other hand, Breeze certainly has a right to pull out of organizing the event, for his own reasons, and let someone else take it over.

- Kathie

Well said, Kathie. So it is possible to respect/support Breeze and support the new organizer's efforts! I thought I was the only one doing the impossible.

In support of both, I plan to attend the Bill Jackson Pinellas Trail Skate organized by Breeze and company in November 2007 (www.trailskate2007.com) and the Squiggy Inline Marathon organized by Birgit and Jessica and their cast & crew in March 2008 (www.squiggyclassicinline.com).

Happy Trails,

Don
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #64
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default Program for Squiggy - press release

The 3rd annual Squiggy Classic Inline Marathon will start 9:00 AM March 9, 2008 at Flatwoods Wilderness Park in Tampa, FL

The course will be open for warm up starting at 7:30 AM. The awards ceremony and party will be early afternoon.

This year's event will include: a ½marathon in addition to the full marathon on Sunday, a social skate in the dark Friday night (start 7 pm) and time trials Saturday.

The course is a 7 mile asphalt loop; pavement is in very good condition, and very level, as typical for Florida.

Racers may skate a full or half marathon (inline or quad skates only). Marathon race categories will be Elite, Elite Master (age 35+), and Open. Awards will be given to the fastest 3 skaters of each gender in Elite and Elite Master, and in 10-year groups of Open skaters (0-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc.). Cash prizes will be given to fastest skaters in various categories on various laps; details will be announced before and/or during the race.

Time trials (7 mile) will be March 8, starting at 11:00 AM. For individual racers, this will be an opportunity to test yourself on the course and earn rights to advanced starting positions for the marathon. For newer skaters, not yet ready for a full race, this will be a great first competitive event, without the pressure of head-to-head racing. Quad skate and roller ski skaters are also welcome to participate in the time trial.

Team inline racing outdoor will also be introduced to the USA as part of the team time trials. Teams of 3, 4, or 5 skaters start the race. All skaters must stay within 10 meters of each other throughout the race (or the skater who is further is disqualified). The team time is the time of the 3rd skater to cross the finish line.

Skate events are part of the traditional Squiggy festival, a multi-sport event including bicycle races, adventure races, mountain biking and more. For more details: http://www.squiggyclassic.org/. Come spend the weekend, enjoy and cheer other athletes, and then show them the thrills of inline racing.

Event registration will be via active.com or on site throughout the weekend (cash only if registering on site). The number of time trial skaters is limited, so registration for this event may close early.

Registration fee will be $55 for marathon or ½ marathon and that includes free time trial and free night skate. Alternatively you can choose to skate in the time trial or night skate only. The time trial is $20 and the night skate is $5.
Within the registration fee for marathon, ½ marathon and time trials is included an event t-shirt, make sure to let us know your size when you register.

The Squiggy Festival is sponsored by the Wilderness Trails Association, which exists to support the trails of Hillsborough County, and to promote their enjoyment by the public. The Festival is to encourage everyone to enjoy the parks, and to help raise funds to better the parks.

The skate events are co-sponsored by Grow Inline Speed LLC, which promotes inline speed skating and related activities.

For further information, see www.squiggyclassicinline.com and active.com (from 15 November 2007) or email: info@squiggyclassicinline.com

There will be other activities that weekend, go to www.squiggyclassic.org for the complete schedule.

Map to Flatwoods: http://tampabay.citysearch.com/profile/2657863/

Last edited by Birgit; December 21st, 2007 at 11:53 PM.
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #65
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Nice logo on short notice - I like it Great job coordinating this you guys.
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #66
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Birgit, Jess et all,

Nice job! Looking forward to doing it adain.

PS: not to be too nit picky, but this will be the third year.

-
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #67
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldskater View Post
Birgit, Jess et all,

Nice job! Looking forward to doing it adain.

PS: not to be too nit picky, but this will be the third year.

-
Picky is fine with me I was told from "Squiggy Classic" that this was going to be second time skating was on-board the event.

Well well I guess I have to make a correction on the press release - thanks for letting us know!
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #68
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nolesfan View Post
Oh let's just stop picking this scab A couple weeks after Disney this year, the Publix Family Fitness weekend had a 10k in St. Augustine. It's only a 10k but it's a fun weekend in a historic city. Let's hope they have it this year. Here are the details about this year's event. I'm not going to put a separate thread up for this yet because I can't confirm the 2008 schedule yet.

Jeff
Jeff,

Remember to put Squiggy weekend 7-9 March in Tampa in your calendar.

Details for skating here http://www.squiggyclassicinline.com

And the brochure for rest of the event here

See you there / Birgit
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #69
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

That might be doable if the finances permit. I might have to save pennies until spring though (April) before I make it too far. I have a friend in Oldsmar though and if I can talk the family into going with me, it's certainly a possibility.

Jeff
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #70
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default Online registration is now ready!

Our online registration is now ready go to our page or directly to active.com to sign up.

Se y'all @ Squiggy Classic Inline, March 2008, Tampa, Florida
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #71
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

I just want to thank you all for the great support Jessica and I have received in getting this back up and going!

We have already 7 signed up - wauww guys thank you for both saying you support the event, but also signing up so long time in advance

We are going to start the "Skate in the Dark" tradition that has been going on in Flatwoods for at least the past 10 years, maybe even longer. I talked to the rangers today and they were real happy that we will start that tradition again.

So for all you Tampa Bay skaters reading here, come to Flatwoods every second Friday in the month after dark - remember ligths and helmets And yes guest from out of town are more than welcome to join the fun!! First skate will be Friday Jan. 11 at 7pm

Ohh btw remember to sign up for Squiggy Classic Inline 2008, go here to do so
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #72
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

any other updates for the squiggy?

was thinking about heading down for the weekend
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM   #73
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Updates: Host hotel is found and at a good price, so be quick to sign up. Host hotel info here

We are still looking into timing chips, and got a good lead from Miami. They do not come cheap - so please help us by signing up asap so we know if we can afford the chips. Race as well as time trials will be manual timed, but we would like to have timing chips.

Sponsors are donating good stuff - thanks! and t-shirts are in the design proces. T-shirts will be "wicker" material, not cotton!!

Send you a PM

And you know - thinking is not enough, doing and signing up is what you need to do, right
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #74
panch0

Hey Jimmmy Boy... how did my new casts make it back home with you? Ha'Bout you, your brother, and Mr. B?

Birgit,
did you come over to Miami for the marathon?
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #75
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post

Birgit,
did you come over to Miami for the marathon?
No I decided not to go - glad I made that decision, since weather and who else was in the race, would have kicked my butt so badly it would not even had been fun.

I have not seen you nor the Smurfs sign up for Squiggy yet - what's happening?? I'll let the Smurfs enter for free in exchange for a photo series
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #76
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Panch0, heh, my dad has called me that since i was a little guy! and yes, they made it here great! but its still cold here!!!

i was planning on skating tommorow, but i think the high temp is going to be 37 AHHHHHHH!!!!
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #77
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
i was planning on skating tommorow, but i think the high temp is going to be 37 AHHHHHHH!!!!
37?! You've got warm weather... I'm jealous! You stinkin' warm weather types, a week or so I got out for one day before the snows came back... it was 30 degrees! And I loved it... and it was uphill...both ways!
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #78
panch0

Jimmy... your dad is a blast man! I always have a good time chit chatting with him! He is always practicing his Spanish with me!

Birgit... I knew you weren't going to skate it but I thought maybe you came down to check it out!

I'll be there for Squiggy... no worries!
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #79
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
Birgit... I knew you weren't going to skate it but I thought maybe you came down to check it out!

I'll be there for Squiggy... no worries!
Yes I was seriously thinking of that, but I ended up having to work - don't you hate it when work gets in the way of your social life

Pjewww <letting out a big sigh of relief> I was getting worried that the Smurfs would not come - I mean you PanchO, uuppps did my outside voice say that

Also other news is there will be an Iron Squiggy, for those of you that excell in more than skating - read more about it here

Remember that Squiggy is a bunch of activities, so if you have "family issues" to deal with bring them and make it a family activity weekend!

Ohh yes and I was nerding all night last night and got the site to work in Firefox - very proud of my self! and I also washed and vacuumed my car this morning and found 15 pens and 15million dollars in pennies... so well both site and my car is ready to be shown off
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #80
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default We have a MySpace for Squiggy

Proud to announce that Squiggy Classic Inline is also present on MySpace.

Jessica did the work (she is the MySpace master - I have no idea what-so-ever on how to use that )