S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old October 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #4781
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Haven't skated all week and wanted to try and find somewhere other than Shoe Factory which has gotten really messy. I knew of this one place by my house that was a small shopping center turned into a storage area, that had a semi-circle road around it. I figured maybe I could go back and forth if the pavement wasn't too bad, so I drove over. It's also a small little industrial park.

Lo and behold, they had built and are building new buildings, and there was brand spanking new road built making it a full circle... my heart began to beat faster... then there's this huge warehouse they are building - again with all new blacktop... which completed the loop. Traffic looked really low... now I was really excited! LOL (Skating makes you get excited about roads...).

Paced the loop out with the odometer and it was *exactly* 1.0 miles...too funny. I raced home and got my stuff and went skating! That was the good news... the bad news... winds *worse* than at Duluth this year - absolutely brutal wind - non stop. And just as bad - there's one down grade that goes .2 miles... the rest is almost all uphill - except for one or two spots where it's even for a few feet. In particular, the entrance to the warehouse road is about .2+ mile of a slow uphill grade... so every lap you do, you do that hill!

Still it's a great place for awhile -we'll see when the place gets done though (and of course winter is coming). It's by a Holiday Inn... so it's the HI Loop!

10/25 - HI Loop - 11 laps, 11 miles in 45:12 in the driving wind. Avg only 14.60 mph. Did first 4 laps in 12:00 however, pushing as hard as I could, which was a 20 mph average - so was happy about the early part (was tanked after that!)

Also figured out at the end of the skate, that I am absolutely *swimming* in my K2s - my foot is all over the place in there. I don't know if I am more aware of my foot now or what, plus I had been leaving the top eyelet unlaced to get more freedom of movement, but I feel the movement all over, not just up top. Now I'm getting really anxious to order my Sincro's - going to do it soon now.

Sorry for the length! Wanted to share the new spot
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #4782
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Floridians suck this time of year.
Nope you got that totally wrong, we do not suck, we are actually very lovable

25 oct: no skate workworkwork
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #4783
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Thursday, only 3 showed up at the outdoor practice at Okeeheelee. Did a bunch of laps around the half mile loop. First time on my new frames outdoor.

Quickly realized why the left boot was digging into my inside ankle during yesterday's practice, the frame's off by just a little bit. Moved the rear out, but found that it's tricky to land on the outside edge when skating. After some messing around, finally found a sweet spot that would allow me to stay on outside edges skating straight, and not too much pressure on the ankle while crossing over.

The best thing about the big wheels is, they're amazingly stable during crossovers.

But there's one problem I had while skating straight, the recovery was too short and abrupt. It's probably because I am not used to the extra glide time, and I don't know what do for that extra fraction of a second, and ended up setting my skate down prematurely. Kind of tricky to get a long and powerful push out of it.
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #4784
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
And just as bad - there's one down grade that goes .2 miles... the rest is almost all uphill - except for one or two spots where it's even for a few feet.
Congrats on the new HI loop! New roads sure are fun! Maybe I am missing something, but if you don't like the hills in one direction, how about reversing your course?
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #4785
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

I could, but the hill going up to the warehouse is fairly steep, and it's a 90-degree turn into it - so going the other way is certain suicide! There's nowhere to take off the speed at all. So unless I could figure out a way to take a corner at like 25 mph!

But the challenge is good, I like hills, I just ya know, hate hills. I think when it's no so windy it will be a really good place to train until the weather goes bad for good.
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #4786
Pepper Montana

10/26 4.3 miles running in 30 minutes outdoors. Running outside is more better than running on the treadmill. Heart rate is more elevated for longer times.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #4787
speedysktr
President of Everything

Oct. 27th 35 minutes on the rollers/30 minute run 153/168
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #4788
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

October 24

4.5 miles on the treadmill, arms & back

October 25

20 mile bike ride, 18 mph average

October 26

4.5 miles on the treadmill, arms & back

October 27

2 hr indoor practice. Had a better workout this time because less people showed up - I got to be in on everything although I had to drop off a couple of times when I couldn't keep up. One of the guys puked after the warmup (it was pretty f'n hard, and I didn't stay in for all of it).

Coach keeps telling me to get lower, get lower. Bend your knees, bend your knees. The closer you are to the floor the less it'll hurt if you fall. But it hurts! Got my heart rate up to 185 today, average was only 133.
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #4789
Mark
Senile Member

Oct 24
Off day

Oct 25
UTBT - 31.1m 2:06:18 HR 138/162. Was a great skate, until right at the end. Lady with a leash and dog, decided that the dog did not need to be attached to the leash. So it promptly chased me. It decided to give up before it got to me luckly...really didn't feel like having a wreak at that time.

Oct 26
UTBT - Had back problems (form I thinking) and cut skate short. Left electronics at home so my best guess is ~12 miles in ~45 minutes.

Oct 27
Flatwoods - 50.5m 3:18:48 HR 135/164. After about 7 miles, a couple bikers passed me so I jumped on the back of them and stayed with them for about 3 miles until it started to rain and trail got slick. Continued to rain off and on for about the next 30 miles. Of course when getting ready to stop, is when the trail finally started to get dry spots. (about 3 miles left). Had dropped the HR watch sometime while chasing the bikes , and the next lap, happened to find it. .
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #4790
streetsk8r

Fall is in the air and it's starting to get cool! At 8.30 am it was only 77d - but 95 h with a steady 10 knot breeze out of the east.

Went to Miramar to skate the Interstate, first time in almost a month. I've been concentrating on figuring out and exploring the SBW course.

I put in an extra over and back so I went over and back three times. Worked on trying to keep longer strides going up the more gradual part of the ramp. Still have to go choppy short stride to get up the steeper parts.

9.4 miles in 47.05.

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4791
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Oct 27

The SoCal Speed Society, LLC met today at the El Dorado park Area III.

Despite some road closures, Desert Kiwi and I met up and did 22 miles. Josh met up with us and did one more lap after we finished.

I got some good tips on my form, and a few exercises to do. My cadence is way too fast - even when I thought I was 'coasting and doing balance drills' I was at about a normal cadence. It's funny, I don't think I'm trying to recover fast, but I do. Working on slowing that down.

I'm posting my GPS log of the route here:

Josh, your lap is here

You are pretty fast!

Now, if you look close at the longer GPS log, there's some fast skating at the end of it. I *know* we hit the lap counter when I handed over the GPS, so at first with giddy delight I thought maybe I had sped up on the last lap. But .. if you look close the HR stopped, so I think that was yours.

Did you do 1 more lap or 2?

Either the watch double logged the mileage on the last lap, or ... Tawni and I went faster than we've ever gone in our lives (well speaking for myself)

My legs got a little tired at the end, HR didn't get really high, about 150max.

I crashed once when a stick on the road, no doubt from the high winds we've had, stuck between my last wheel and brake. No roll. The crash pads saved all but a minor road rash. My knee pads have about had it though. Just when I thought I could go 'commando' (well, without crash pads )

It was really good to skate with people who were close to my speed. Thanks for the encouragement!
== John ==
P.S. Mark, good find! whew.
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #4792
streetsk8r

John

What GPS device and software are you using? It really looks like a lot of good information.

'cause my birthday is coming up :-)

Old October 28th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #4793
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

It's the Garmin 305, and I have the heart rate monitor (it came with it if I remember right).

I wish I could figure out a way to rig the cadence sensor to my legs

I really like it, although it wasn't cheap, it helps my workouts a lot.

The best thing is I don't have to remember anything but 'start and stop' and it remembers the rest. No driving my car around the route, etc.
== John ==
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #4794
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinghornet View Post
Tuesday, rest day. Received my new frames and big wheels, finally moving up (and back) to 100mm. Despite being hi-lo configuration, it's still 7 to 8mm taller than my old set-up.

Left, old frame with 90mm, right new frame with 100mm/90mm.

Frames only.

Wednesday, indoor, shake down for my new ride. New roll-on at the rink, because the league meet is coming up. Didn't feel any difference (of the 100mm) on the straight, but very very different on the corner. On the good side, the gliding period in between strides is significantly longer, and it's easier to get a good long and powerful push out of it. On the bad side, still kind of tricky to stay upright (forgetting to bring my EZfit made it worse), and they're very unstable at low speed, and difficult to turn on small circles. Had a spill while cooling down after a hard skate.

Didn't time myself, but kind of felt like I was a littler quicker than before, and one of my team mate said that too. There were times when I instinctively look back expecting the pack going to lap me, and it wasn't there yet.

The new set-up may be something that allow me to push harder, but it may take a while to get used to. Will try it the first time outdoor tomorrow.
How do you like those frames? I've got $750 tied up in a pair of custom boots w/ 165 mount space. I was going to look for some Mogema R155 frames (I think that's the correct model). It's a high low frame also, and looks like it's pretty stiff. The Liguino looks as though it could flex. Looking at photo's from world championships last year, the Liguino skaters had powerslide frames. Liguinos frames may not have been available yet.
Let's hear some input.
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #4795
joshr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
Oct 27

The SoCal Speed Society, LLC met today at the El Dorado park Area III.

Despite some road closures, Desert Kiwi and I met up and did 22 miles. Josh met up with us and did one more lap after we finished.

I got some good tips on my form, and a few exercises to do. My cadence is way too fast - even when I thought I was 'coasting and doing balance drills' I was at about a normal cadence. It's funny, I don't think I'm trying to recover fast, but I do. Working on slowing that down.

I'm posting my GPS log of the route here:

Josh, your lap is here

You are pretty fast!

Now, if you look close at the longer GPS log, there's some fast skating at the end of it. I *know* we hit the lap counter when I handed over the GPS, so at first with giddy delight I thought maybe I had sped up on the last lap. But .. if you look close the HR stopped, so I think that was yours.

Did you do 1 more lap or 2?

Either the watch double logged the mileage on the last lap, or ... Tawni and I went faster than we've ever gone in our lives (well speaking for myself)

My legs got a little tired at the end, HR didn't get really high, about 150max.

I crashed once when a stick on the road, no doubt from the high winds we've had, stuck between my last wheel and brake. No roll. The crash pads saved all but a minor road rash. My knee pads have about had it though. Just when I thought I could go 'commando' (well, without crash pads )

It was really good to skate with people who were close to my speed. Thanks for the encouragement!
== John ==
P.S. Mark, good find! whew.
I have no idea what I am looking at in those logs. It looks like I have a peak of 26mph in the middle of the lap. Is that right? It seems like an odd time to have the spike. I would have thought I would have got the top speed in the beginning or at the end. What's the average? If I am reading the numbers right it looks like I am typically in the 15-20 mph range. That would match my guess of a sustainable speed for me being around 15mph.

As far as the weird thing at the end, when I finished my lap I pressed the lap button then got in my car and started to drive. It beeped at me so I turned it off. So if you see a short final lap that could be it but I don't think I was going faster than I had skated before I noticed it. I turned it off before I left the parking lot and definitely never hit 26mph which seems to be the peak.

As for the "what I did today log" I skated for a mile or so barely keeping up with the main speed pace line then skated by myself back to the car when I decided I wasn't having much fun and I was killing myself. Then I went and found John and Tawni and skated 5-7 miles going fairly slow for me but having lots of fun. Then when they were done I took Johns GPS and did 1.7 miles about as fast as I could, hence the gps logs above.

I can't wait for tomorrow.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #4796
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Yep, that peak of 26 was about halfway ... it was a fairly flat smooth spot at a bend. I'd say your average was a little higher. Right after that peak you slowed down a little so maybe you sprinted? There were two 25 peaks.

I saw the 'car lap' and filtered that out. I think that lap 2 and lap 1 somehow got merged, if I look at the overall course it doesn't get any longer.
== John ==
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #4797
joshr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
Yep, that peak of 26 was about halfway ... it was a fairly flat smooth spot at a bend. I'd say your average was a little higher. Right after that peak you slowed down a little so maybe you sprinted? There were two 25 peaks.

I saw the 'car lap' and filtered that out. I think that lap 2 and lap 1 somehow got merged, if I look at the overall course it doesn't get any longer.
== John ==
Well then, everyone else in this forum, how about pat on the back for me. I for one am pretty stoked on the results of my first GPS'd 1.7 mile lap. I started out trying to sprint it but then quickly got too tired and settled into a fast but doable, at least for the rest of the lap, rythm.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #4798
streetsk8r

I went and pushed to my longest skate today, 2 hours and 5 minutes. Covered 21.25 miles of the SBW skate path. I had to wait to get started as we had a sun shower just before heading out. Even though it was on 77 d, that pushed the humidity to what felt like 200%. You could see the moisture rising from the streets. It definitely slowed every thing down as it stayed wet the entire skate. The sun was out in force for the first hour or so, then some clouds built up. At that point the wind started to kick up 5 to 10 out of the east. While I was winding through the bike paths I noticed a bike pulling away, stopping, then going again, stopping, etc. I also noticed yellow arrows on the asphalt. I caught up to the biker and it was Ron, one of the organizers for the SBW Ride. He was painting arrows for the ride in a couple of weeks. We chatted and he was surprised that the skate was negotiable. I skated he rode for about a half mile until he had to stop and paint some more. The last three miles were completely wet, there must have been another shower in that area after I started. I slurped a hammer gel at about 11 miles and probably could have used another at about 18 miles. I was dragging a bit toward the end. It was up to 84d and 100 h when I finished.

I am ready for the SBW Ride on November 11th.

http://www.active.com/event_detail.c...376&CHECKSSO=1

Last edited by streetsk8r; October 28th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #4799
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Oct 27 Off

Oct 28 McDevelopment with Madeline and NWGlenn

9.2 In probably about an hour.

Madeline's last full mile was a 12.2 average/16.1 max.

It was 34.1 degrees at the start.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #4800
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
Oct 27 Off

Oct 28 McDevelopment with Madeline and NWGlenn...It was 34.1 degrees at the start.
Yeah, yesterday did the Sat. morning thing with Pistol Pete and it was cold- even wore glove liners under the palm sliders and it still felt like frost bite potential - note to self- go buy cycling gloves today.

See you (and Madeline and Glenn) at Lynnwood next weekend!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote