S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old October 31st, 2007, 02:47 PM   #4821
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Jessica:

With what you're pulling out of the head, and the stare, your pic makes me think ..

BRAINNNNS!

What's a zombie plumber fix?

DDDRRAAAAIIIIIINNNNSSS

What's a zombie farmer raise?

GGGGRRRAAAAIIINNNNNNSSS

Oct 30

Painting the hallway.

Bought a plastic balance disk for $15 at Sports Authority. Watched TV for a little while standing on it, maybe 15 minutes. Just messing around but I did get better at it.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:17 PM   #4822
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
PM- 2 hour indoor practice, did a lot of standing around again. I did learn something new though - apparently you're supposed to put your left foot forward a little when you come around the corner. So while I was waiting for my turn on the floor I rolled around the middle and practiced getting my weight on my left foot. It was really awkward.
Don't you scissor your feet just before a turn outdoors?

One of the keys of indoor is that your left leg will take an amazing abuse. It will be holding your weight for most of the lap.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM   #4823
rwsz

Quote:
October 30

AM- 20 mile bike ride, fairly hard, got a little wet. Legs sore
PM- 2 hour indoor practice, did a lot of standing around again. I did learn something new though - apparently you're supposed to put your left foot forward a little when you come around the corner. So while I was waiting for my turn on the floor I rolled around the middle and practiced getting my weight on my left foot. It was really awkward.

October 31

rain, rain, rain, rain
It's a good thing I'm skating inside at least otherwise I'd go crazy.
4 miles on the treadmill - got a side stitch. Then arms and back

Jessica are you making a pumpkin face for tonite or pumpkin pie,,,,one of my favorites
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:22 PM   #4824
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Jessica, "What big hands and long fingers you have!" Reply: "He,he,he, the better to gut the pumpkin with, my dear...he,he,he...HE,HE,HE,HE!...HA,HA,HA,HA!" Priceless Pic! HAPPY HALLOWEEN skaters young and old!

LezSk8!
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:23 PM   #4825
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
Jessica:

With what you're pulling out of the head, and the stare, your pic makes me think ..

BRAINNNNS!

What's a zombie plumber fix?

DDDRRAAAAIIIIIINNNNSSS

What's a zombie farmer raise?

GGGGRRRAAAAIIINNNNNNSSS
Hahahaaa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
Don't you scissor your feet just before a turn outdoors?

One of the keys of indoor is that your left leg will take an amazing abuse. It will be holding your weight for most of the lap.
I don't think so - otherwise it wouldn't feel so weird. It was hard enough getting used to putting weight on the left leg. So maybe now I'll finally be evened out!
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:25 PM   #4826
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Jessica are you making a pumpkin face for tonite or pumpkin pie,,,,one of my favorites
Pumpkin pie, blech. I'll post a picture of the finished products tomorrow
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:28 PM   #4827
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Catching up...

10/27 - This was the last weekend for organized outdoor practice (i was off by one week) Yucky day on Sat, only 2 people there. 8.3 fairly easy miles. Then came home and ran 2 easy miles with the wife.

10/28 - Got dropped early on in the fast group as The Major was really hammering the pace - plus I'm feeling wiped lately. Took it fairly easy the rest of the way unfortunately. 9.8 miles.

10/30 - 10 laps on my newfound 1 mile course - so 10 hills... 10 miles.. and why is it that on the days I choose to skate there are 40mph gale force winds in my face. Had one plyo in the morning so I was beat, only averaged like 14 mph and my back is killing me.

As I said I am feeling tired for the last couple weeks. Maybe fighting off a cold, maybe training caught up to me, not sure. I'm in the last stage of my P90X program, that could be part of it.

I'm also concerned about some discomfort I am feeling in the top outside of my right foot. I don't feel it when I skate, I feel it when I walk ever so slightly. Hard to pinpoint where it is. I'd hate to get an injury now after all the progress I've made. I do wonder if running aggravated something, I will not be running again anytime soon.
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:36 PM   #4828
rwsz

Quote:
Pumpkin pie, blech. I'll post a picture of the finished products tomorrow

ok will be looking forward to it,,,even though it isnt a pumpkin pie lol
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM   #4829
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Someone on this board (I think) was looking for clothing to wear outside, I think in slightly wet weather, and I had a reply, but now I can't find the original post. They had gone as far as trying on a very thin wetsuit... Ring any bells for anyone?
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #4830
Code Monkey

At lunch because the weather is just to beautiful to even talk about, I went skating. This time in my new Simmons. I was cruising around and around and around and before I knew it my watch alarm went off and it was time to wrap things up. Turns out I skated 16 miles in an hour. Ok, I will do another check but that can't be right. So far all measurements look good. The fun thing is that it wasn't that hard and I really kept my heart rate at 155bpm. A couple of weekends ago when I first got my Simmons I went out for what was going to be a short skate but it turned out to be 62 miles and I felt I could have gone on but had to get back to responsibilities. Then colleagues all today have been telling me how easy I make skating look. It all went to my head in a big way and I'll probably calm down later but I was having such serious thoughts about that I could possibly actually complete an A2A. Oh, I know I have much work to do but I can kind of see it. So I called my cardiologist and I am going in for one more MRI and his ok, Nov. 20. I made the appointment with the nurse and she didn't quite get the whole thing. Just a little while ago I got a phone call from my cardiologist and he was asking me all sorts of questions, he looked up A2A on the internet. I told him about my current training and my latest long skate and he is all excited about MRIing my heart again. Must want a new Mercedes. Really I don't think it's me, it's got to be the skates.

No skating tonight unfortunately but tomorrow morning, lunch and a little after dinner most definitely.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:51 PM   #4831
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Someone on this board (I think) was looking for clothing to wear outside, I think in slightly wet weather, and I had a reply, but now I can't find the original post. They had gone as far as trying on a very thin wetsuit... Ring any bells for anyone?
That was NWGlenn
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM   #4832
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Thanks, Mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGlenn View Post
Was actually trying on light-weight wet suits this week in an attempt to get past the cold and wet thing. Too bad the lightest they had was still uncomfortably warm, maybe later in the year.
I had a couple of ideas from a previous hiking life. Once you get up a head of steam, you will put out enough heat to evaporate a certain amount of wetness. So with a damp fog/ light drizzle condition, you could be okay with some tights, or with some tights with polypropylene long underwear underneath. Fleece is really good for this kind of condition, too, but fleece is usually found in baggy garments. Maybe altering a pair of fleece pants and a fleece jacket to be a little tighter would be okay, or you could put then underneath a lycra layer.

Taking rest breaks can be a problem, if you do that. When you first slow down your stuff will get wet from sweat. When you get going again or if you take a longer break, you might be a little chilled.

Underarmor has some cold weather stuff that might be useful. I have never really looked at it.

Something that is truly waterproof, like a wetsuit, will leave you steaming in your own juices, as you found, and would only be potentially useful in verrrrry cold weather, I think. Wow, that was a lot of commas.

Just some thoughts,
Bill
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:18 PM   #4833
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:

Underarmor has some cold weather stuff that might be useful. I have never really looked at it.
It is what I use and it does a good job of wicking the moisture away. But you still get really soaked.
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:36 PM   #4834
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
It is what I use and it does a good job of wicking the moisture away. But you still get really soaked.
Makes sense. I think with most of these choices you end up wet, and when you finish skating you try to cool off to the perfect point, peel off as much as you can, and put on something dry for the drive home.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:21 PM   #4835
skaterdog

Quote:
A couple of weekends ago when I first got my Simmons I went out for what was going to be a short skate but it turned out to be 62 miles
That's cool CM. Do you attribute this mostly to the Simmons? I always wonder what difference a boot could make to speed and distance. I have a very comfortable entry level boot.
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:01 AM   #4836
NWGlenn

Quote:
Thanks, Mark.
I had a couple of ideas from a previous hiking life. Once you get up a head of steam, you will put out enough heat to evaporate a certain amount of wetness. So with a damp fog/ light drizzle condition, you could be okay with some tights, or with some tights with polypropylene long underwear underneath. Fleece is really good for this kind of condition, too, but fleece is usually found in baggy garments. Maybe altering a pair of fleece pants and a fleece jacket to be a little tighter would be okay, or you could put then underneath a lycra layer.

Taking rest breaks can be a problem, if you do that. When you first slow down your stuff will get wet from sweat. When you get going again or if you take a longer break, you might be a little chilled.

Something that is truly waterproof, like a wetsuit, will leave you steaming in your own juices, as you found, and would only be potentially useful in verrrrry cold weather, I think. Wow, that was a lot of commas.

Just some thoughts,
Bill

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions/discussion guys. It's not so much the cold alone but the cold and wet that does me. I did OK in sub-freezing weather while training for a2a two years ago but had to cherry pick my days to stay dry. As you say tights or polys under a pair of track pants, spandex tee, long-sleeve tee and a sweat shirt kept me warm. The first hint of rain had me headed for the barn though. Sudden flash here...is there such a thing as a Gortex coverall? Would like it to be somewhat fitted otherwise a simple rain suit would work. Hmmm, time for more research, maybe REI?

Thanks again; Glenn
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:38 AM   #4837
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Quote:
It's not so much the cold alone but the cold and wet that does me.
One word: Wool.

Yea, it makes me itch, but maybe a think spandex underneath or ... panty hose.

Oct 31

Gave out over THIRTY FIVE bags of candy to the potential cavity receptors. Whew.

Did a little balance board work too, this time tried doing 'the twist' to mix it up. I haven't had it long but I can feel something in my leg muscles already. Or maybe it was standing by the door waiting for sugar fiends for an hour or two.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:34 AM   #4838
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Been a little while since I've posted..
Haven't been able to skate as much as i'd would have liked until recently. I started working afternoons which is great except for not having the cooler parts of the day to skate. Though some around the country might be jealous, it's been above 90 and humid down here until last week. Sounds nice, except it's been that way since March. I worked around that by buying a rechargable light and skating at night. Takes a little getting used to. The world seems a lot smaller at speed. Just you, your skates and a spot of light traveling down the path.
Now after dark I started skating around the plant I work at during my break. It's an oval just under 440m. A little rough, but it's like my own personal track. I alternate left/right direction every 2 miles
10/24 8 miles 32:18 14.9mph
10/26 2 miles 8:52 14.0mph 20 minutes of drills
10/30 8 miles 33:53 14.2 mph
10/31 drills 6 miles 25:24 14.2mph and freakin windy
Endurance sucks at the moment but, I have the winter to get it back.

Cool pic with Jessica and the pumpkin. Except,now I have a large craving for homemade pie with fresh wipped cream.
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4839
Pepper Montana

Jeez, another Florida skater complaining about the weather! Some people!

I've been running every day without skating at all. Loving it! Plyos and thinking about skating alot though. Core work too!

Saw the Nova program "Marathon" last night. They took 12 couch potatoes and trained them for 9 months to run the Boston Marathon. I was a big blubbering wreck because of the trials and tribulations that the participants went through. I also learned some physiology about training that I didn't know. I recommend this program highly.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM   #4840
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
The first hint of rain had me headed for the barn though.
Something that keeps some of its insulation properties when it is wet would be your best bet. Wool works well, like John said. Fleece works well too. With a thicker layer of fleece, the outside will get wet, but you will put out enough heat to keep yourself warm.

Any situation where you go from no rain to rain would require putting on another layer, I think, because a combo that is warm enough in the rain will be way to hot when it's dry. So the thick fleece or wool thing goes in a pocket or pack until the rain begins.

I think a skater would sweat too much for goretex.

Most outdoor apparel manufacturers make something they call a wind shirt. These are light weight and come with a variety of pit zips and such to help regulate temperature. The folks at REI might be able to give you some good advice on those.

Glad you are working on ways to keep skating in cooler weather.