S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old November 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #4901
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Thanks Speedy and Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I tried doing the nettracing skate-on-your-outside-edges thing and I found myself clenching the bottom of my foot.
That could be it - my other hunch was that my boot was loose and the clench was to tighten it. My ankle strap was lose on purpose to work the ankles, but I found it also tightened the base of the boot a little.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #4902
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuper1 View Post
I also have the K2 Radical 100 and have moving the frame all over the place to find the best spot. Currently I have the front between my big toe and second toe and in the back in the middle of the heel. I started making a longer carve to the side and the boot cuff started to rub into my ankle. It is sore at that spot now. How are your frames aligned? Do you have a similar problem with the boot rubbing your ankle during a carve?
I've only skated a couple of times, so this is just my early opinion. The frame was way outside. I adjusted it to the "between the toes in the front and on the achilles in the back" setting. I tried that for about 2 minutes and decided that was too far to the inside. So I have now moved it to line up with my second toe in front, achilles in the back. I'm going to go a few miles tonight I think, and will have a better idea after that. As far as the boot rubbing, it's too early to say. I haven't noticed anything terrible so far. But with the frames the way they were, I was not ever getting on an outside edge. I also need to do the heat molding. I'm going to let the padding compress just a bit as I break them in, and then do the molding.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #4903
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Nov 5

BWI trail
4.8miles, 38:41min, 7.4mph

Skated with my 11 year old daughter. First skate since I hung up the skates and went cold turkey.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #4904
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Skated with my 11 year old daughter. First skate since I hung up the skates and went cold turkey.
what is up with the hanging up of the skates? do tell.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #4905
skaterdog

Quote:
Nov 5

BWI trail

Sheldon....you go cold turkey and you'll get some serious withdrawl symptoms.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #4906
joshr

Nov 5: Yoga class. Not a very hard class as far as the poses, real basic stuff, but we held everything for a long time and moved through lots of stuff with no resting so I was drenched by the time class was out.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #4907
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshr View Post
Nov 5: Yoga class.
Hey, I did my first REAL Yoga class on Sunday, I didn't find it too difficult other than trying to stand on my head or hands - That's a lil too much for me at this point. But all the other moves I could handle. My hamstrings were very tight later in the day so I took a shower and alternated between hot and cold water.
I skated indoor practice from 5-7, which felt real good, possibly due to the Yoga? Well, I should add that my buckle strap pulled out of my Luigino boot. I talked to Luigino yesterday and they are sending a new boot to the rink for me. I probably won't get it until Thursday, which doesn't leave much time for heat molding. I may just use the broken boot for the meet this weekend. Last night I used a couple of zip ties to fix the strap to the boot, which seems to work pretty well, we'll see how it holds up during our 2 hr practice tonight.
This morning I rode 30 min on the trainer and got the heart up to 168 bpm - that woke me up!
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #4908
joshr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
Hey, I did my first REAL Yoga class on Sunday, I didn't find it too difficult other than trying to stand on my head or hands - That's a lil too much for me at this point. But all the other moves I could handle. My hamstrings were very tight later in the day so I took a shower and alternated between hot and cold water.
I skated indoor practice from 5-7, which felt real good, possibly due to the Yoga? Well, I should add that my buckle strap pulled out of my Luigino boot. I talked to Luigino yesterday and they are sending a new boot to the rink for me. I probably won't get it until Thursday, which doesn't leave much time for heat molding. I may just use the broken boot for the meet this weekend. Last night I used a couple of zip ties to fix the strap to the boot, which seems to work pretty well, we'll see how it holds up during our 2 hr practice tonight.
This morning I rode 30 min on the trainer and got the heart up to 168 bpm - that woke me up!
If your hamstrings are sore later in the day some more forward folds are a good way to loosen them back up. BTW I always find it hard to do handstands in the middle of class because I am usually really tired. I do most of my handstand at home or before class starts, or in the climbing gym where the floor is padded. Last night I did some headstands during class and handstands before class. What kind of Yoga did you do? I do anusara yoga.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #4909
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshr View Post
What kind of Yoga did you do? I do anusara yoga.
Same
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #4910
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Nov 5

BWI trail

I have only skated maybe 3 times since St. Paul and I am slowly getting the desire to skate back. Did a neighborhood skate with Max on Sunday and we played tag and chased each other around. Hope that you are feeling yourself soon.

11/6 Ran 3.4 miles and it was so cold and windy that I need to insulate my "swimsuit area" better. It stung! Yikes. I don't know why but my odometer readings from last week must have been off. I had it measured at 4.3 miles last week. This week I added another subdivision and I was thinking that I would be at 5 miles now. The new distance is considerably shorter! I dunno. I do know that I can't believe that after all these years of not running I have started again. I really, really love it and I am proud of my rebirth into the world of ground pounding and joint damage.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #4911
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Montana View Post
I really, really love it and I am proud of my rebirth into the world of ground pounding and joint damage.
Ya, to me, running is great for the mind, hard on the body.
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #4912
speedysktr
President of Everything

Default Runlog?

Nov. 6th. 3 mile run 27 minutes 139/151-freakin' blustery ass nite
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #4913
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Wow, looks like I haven’t posted in this thread since Oct. 8th; what can I say, it’s been a very disappointing month as far as skating goes. Fortunately, that’s all better now.

Let’s see, what have I done since then…?

Rode 113.2 miles, skated 57.09 miles, and hiked 8.77 miles in the Pisgah mountains.

Not too terribly impressive, but I have a hunch that skate number will be just a little bit higher over the next thirty days than it was for the last thirty. I should be able to break 200, which was my monthly average when I ditched the K2s in favor of a smaller carbon footprint. In fact, I’m shooting for 300 miles over the next month. A marathon every other day, with a few days off for rain (oh yeah, major southeast drought, nevermind that part) should allow 300 easily.

Okay, maybe that goal is just a wee bit lofty. We’ll see, though.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #4914
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Montana View Post
Saw the Nova program "Marathon" last night. They took 12 couch potatoes and trained them for 9 months to run the Boston Marathon. I was a big blubbering wreck because of the trials and tribulations that the participants went through. I also learned some physiology about training that I didn't know. I recommend this program highly.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/
And if you missed it on TV, you can watch it online.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/program.html
Five ~10 minute chapters. Have not watched it myself yet though.
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #4915
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

I saw it last Friday - it was pretty good.

What was great was that they were ordinary people, and they did better than expected. So if you stick 'to the plan' you can make it!

I would like to get VO2 testing ... anyone know how much that runs? I'm in an HMO/PPO, but I don't know if it would be covered.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #4916
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
And if you missed it on TV, you can watch it online.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/program.html
Five ~10 minute chapters. Have not watched it myself yet though.
Already engrossed… damn you!

[half an hour later]

Wow, that was very inspirational. I think I can safely say two things after watching that: A) I will probably be able to push myself a bit harder now, and 2) I’m damn glad I do my miles on wheels. The injury rate those people suffered is just astounding.

Also, I noticed something when they showed the different divisions at the starting blocks: you could tell which group you were looking at solely by their attire. It was almost as if some unseen force was at work, causing those with more experience to dress a certain way in spite of the unconventional appearance. Or perhaps they were just trying to intimidate the n00bs; who can say?

Last edited by Bryan; November 7th, 2007 at 04:20 AM. Reason: finished watching it
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #4917
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Tues 11/6
am- Dynamic stretches
3.24 miles 12:10 16mph
Pushups/situps
pm- 6 miles 25:06 14.5mph
worked on weight transfer & fully pushing through inside leg on crossovers
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #4918
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Skataholic: Thanks for the laugh!

Today: Core strength/cardio/stretching at the gym, total workout 2 hours. I strained my lower right leg so I'm laying off the plyos at the moment.

Bryan: I think you'll notice that equipment dynamic in just about every sport. As people progress from n00b to expert, they almost unconsciously acquire the uniform that indicates their level of skill and experience.

250 days till 24Hours Inline Montreal 2008...
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #4919
speedysktr
President of Everything

Nov. 7th Got on the spin bike sans mojo and quickly exited.
Color me disgruntled. Indoor practice tonite if I can break away from the pity party.
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #4920
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
I would like to get VO2 testing ... anyone know how much that runs? I'm in an HMO/PPO, but I don't know if it would be covered.
Should be available for not too much at a fitness club. Or maybe someone at the base can do it, if they have the equipment and you still have access.

I did it via the calibrated exercise bike method in high school and it's not as profound as you might hope. I would guess, though, that the method where you have to breathe through the mouthpiece would be pretty expensive.

If you can go to an orthopedist on your PPO, then an orthopedist with a sports medicine or physical therapy bent might have the equipment and knowledge to do it, and all at the price of a co-pay.