S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:26 AM   #1
nickajshelden
Blades

Default metal straps for speed skates

I tend to winch down on my foot rather hard when putting on my speed skates, and by now that has started to ruin the plastic straps, which I know can be replaced...
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Bont_...cpage-BBK.html
...however, I was wondering if anyone knew of some place I could buy metal straps for the skates (bont pursuits) or had any tips on making a set?
Old April 3rd, 2017, 06:41 AM   #2
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickajshelden View Post
I tend to winch down on my foot rather hard when putting on my speed skates, and by now that has started to ruin the plastic straps, which I know can be replaced...
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Bont_...cpage-BBK.html
...however, I was wondering if anyone knew of some place I could buy metal straps for the skates (bont pursuits) or had any tips on making a set?
I think they'd be just more likely to break the buckles quicker. With the plastic ladder straps the straps become the weak point and are easily replaced. Sure, the buckles break from time to time and they're fairly easy to replace, but the straps are generally easier and cheaper.

I've lived under some advice I've gotten from an old coach I've known for many years. The ladder straps are for the lace covers, which are meant to hold down your laces so they aren't flopping around. And the laces are there to tighten your skates.

I've had the same ladder straps and buckles on mine for the past 2 years going by that.

There are some tricks you can use to help with lacing. Even then, I still get callouses on the sides of my fingers from cranking down on my laces. But, I don't kill straps or buckles.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Mark1975

Default Straps

Usually the kids/adults on our team that have to crank the straps down, have boots that are too big. Like mentioned before, the cover is only there to cover the laces and maybe a little extra pull down for your heel. I know I usually tighten my cover by hand and then maybe 1 ratchet of the buckle.
Mark1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:27 PM   #4
kentek

Default How to preserve the ladder straps

Here is what I find that works: With one hand operating the strap lever, use your thumb from the opposite hand to push straight down on ladder strap while operating the cam. You get about one more click w/o missing a notch. I seems to take the pressure off the notches.
kaw
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 06:57 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1975 View Post
Usually the kids/adults on our team that have to crank the straps down, have boots that are too big. Like mentioned before, the cover is only there to cover the laces and maybe a little extra pull down for your heel. I know I usually tighten my cover by hand and then maybe 1 ratchet of the buckle.
^ This. If laces are properly tightened, you should be using the cams to add a click when the laces loosen only slightly during long skates.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #6
whiskey02

Mota boots have a velcro strap that is quite effective and there's no buckle or plastic that break. They also have a zip up lace cover so the strap is really there to help keep your heel down, and it does.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #7
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
Mota boots have a velcro strap that is quite effective and there's no buckle or plastic that break. They also have a zip up lace cover so the strap is really there to help keep your heel down, and it does.
Velcro does wear down over time. Either the plastic hooks (the rough side) deform or the loops (fuzzy side) break and you lose fastening strength. And that's aside from the loops getting clogged with hair and general fuzz that needs to get cleaned out from time to time.