S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old April 20th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #21
xlracer

Thanks Dave I love going out and pulling this stuff off the web where I can find it. I really want to get Dick involved with posting more pictures also.
He is the one with the real serious collection. Mine is very limited.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #22
xlracer

Default Harley Davidson

Check out this ad. Check out the price of the skates.

Old April 21st, 2007, 03:08 AM   #23
xlracer

This is the 4 mixed relay Champions from the Ohio State Championships 1969.
In 1969 there were so many skaters and so many teams that skaters had to win at states to make it to Regionals. Last summer I went to the Great Lakes Regional meet. There was not even one division that has heats. Every race was a final. That is pretty sad.
Richard do you recognize these skaters?

Old April 21st, 2007, 06:11 AM   #24
splitwoods

Sorry Tracy:

I dont recognize any of the 4 skaters in this photo. That would be a Tony question. You might email it to him at home and ask him to put a name to the 4 faces. Just a suggestion.

Splitwoods
splitwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM   #25
xlracer

Richard I am positive about that. I found this picture on the UASRS site. The caption states 1969 Ohio State Champions. Photo donated to Museum by Tony Kissing.
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM   #26
xlracer

Here are a couple from your outdoor meets in 71 and 73

Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #27
Greenetuckian

I have to scan in a pic that goes with the girl's skate and am planning a seperate thread about these but I thought I would go ahead and put this shot up here. These belong to my parents, they met at the roller rink in Bicknell, IN in 1951. The girls skates are Chicago brand with Hyde boot and were purchased in the summer of 51, mom believes the wheels are original.

The man's skate belong to my dad, they are marked Roller Derby Official. Dad is unsure of the exact year of purchase but knows it was before he joined the Navy in 1945.

I have been working to restore and preseve these skates, the last time they were used was in the early to mid 1970s.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:59 PM   #28
splitwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
Richard I am positive about that. I found this picture on the UASRS site. The caption states 1969 Ohio State Champions. Photo donated to Museum by Tony Kissing.

Tracy, I was not questioning the authenticity of the picture that is straight forward, I simply suggested asking Tony if he could help identify the skaters as I could not and he is the OHIO guy that knows everyone back that away!

He also probably still has the Ohio State Championship program from that year in his collection!

Richard
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:06 AM   #29
splitwoods

Greenetuckian:

Nice vintage pics of older skates you have there.

Some tips on restoration. You could use "Neverdull" metal polishing wads to remove some of tthe grime and rust spots on the steel base plates.
The product is freely available at your neighborhood hardware store.

The wheels could easily be touched up on a rink wheel grinder. The Looseball cones and bearings and d washer and nuts as well as axles could all be replaced with new parts, if needed. The wheel LB Cups can also be hand polished.

For the leather, I like Lexol, both the conditioner and cleaning products, to put some new life back into the dried out material, in and outside the boot. If the tongues are dryrotted, any bootmaker can replace that for you. Lexol is also available at area Tack shops anywhere fine leather goods are sold.

Hope this helps.

Splitwoods

Last edited by splitwoods; April 23rd, 2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:09 AM   #30
splitwoods

Thanks Tracy for posting those 2 pics from our National Outdoor meets held at Staten Island, NY. Sure brings back some fond memories. I had written several articles on those meets for Skate Magazine each year....

Splitwoods
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:53 AM   #31
Greenetuckian

splitwoods, I sincerely appreciate your advice. The thread has been moved to the restoration thread. I realize that I posted in the wrong thread, oops

That being said my one an only goal is to preserve a little piece of my heritage. I never intend to let anyone but the original owners put these skates on their feet and since the original owners are elderly (mom just turned 74 and walks with a cane and dad will be 80 in june and needs a walker) and the floors have changed I doubt they will log many laps.

They were wearing these very skates when they took me to the rink in or about 1973. I am here on this forum perhaps only because of these very old and delapadated skates from brands that any of us would consider cheap junk today.

This thread really touches my heart. It is from a bygone era that is really a leagcy for us all. Let us not forget those who wore the blisters and bruises before.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM   #32
brikkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenetuckian View Post
I have to scan in a pic that goes with the girl's skate and am planning a seperate thread about these but I thought I would go ahead and put this shot up here. These belong to my parents, they met at the roller rink in Bicknell, IN in 1951. The girls skates are Chicago brand with Hyde boot and were purchased in the summer of 51, mom believes the wheels are original.

The man's skate belong to my dad, they are marked Roller Derby Official. Dad is unsure of the exact year of purchase but knows it was before he joined the Navy in 1945.

I have been working to restore and preseve these skates, the last time they were used was in the early to mid 1970s.
i have the same skaate i will try to get pic of them today.well there not mine but my granddad and grand mothers
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #33
LaurieFlood

Default Ditto

Quote:
They were wearing these very skates when they took me to the rink in or about 1973. I am here on this forum perhaps only because of these very old and delapadated skates from brands that any of us would consider cheap junk today.

This thread really touches my heart.
Ditto Greentuckian,

My first skates were found in our garage as a kid. My dad's that were many sizes too big. I just made sure I laced them really tight. They did not have urethane wheels. I think they were some kind of wood. I skated on these until my feet stopped growing and was bought new skates. I could do tight little cross-overs on them on our small backyard patio and fly downhill in a hallway at the school across the street. I wish I still had them now for rememberance sake. They are more precious to me for their wonderful memories than any expensive skate I could buy today.
LaurieFlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM   #34
brikkee

Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:02 PM   #35
brikkee

I am told these are from around 1963 and my grand dads new skates. wheels are figure-dance command 8
plates Douglass-synder custom
boots Betty lytle from hyde

1940's grandmothers
boot goodyearmely hyde
plate cleavland skatemaster
wheels no clue

1970's moms

Riedell297
synder imperial

For all you in-line skaters i have no clue on the year but i have to say aronund 1500's lol
best ever built BEB skate co.chicago

and also the aggressive in-lines

Zero mfc.

i also have a few more but the camara died ill get them tomarrow
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #36
xlracer

Man you really need to break those down and clean and polish every little piece and the put them back together. That is one awsome collection.
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #37
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Chicago, the common man's skate

Hi Guys and Gals, TN-XLracer, RI-RGYoung

Again XL thanks for the great photos
and I do hope Brikkee's dad helps out a bit with some of his collection
or connections to vintage photos.

As I read recent posts to this tread series I was surprised at how many younger than me and you skaters, have embraced skating due to their parents love of skating, showed Chicago phenolic wheels with the one maybe showing a wood wheel. I know we discussed this before yet it was kind of interesting to look closely at the wheels.

Maybe you, with Splitwoods help could find a Chicago advertisement or a news clip.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #38
Greenetuckian

I love those strap on inlines, I had no idea they ever made any but quads.
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #39
xlracer

Dave I will search around for some more old ads to post. In the mean time check out this vintage pair of skates. This pair was up for bid on ebay about six months ago and I let them get away from me. Notice that these skates have never been used. The wood wheels show no signs of wear and the boot still shines. It is a beautiful example of the type of speed skates that were sold in the 60's. Maybe the 50's I'm not sure. Richard and Dick can help out there. Its a Hyde boot and a Chicago Jet Plate. Richard will probably know what wheels are on this skate.
I sure wish I would have won the bid on these. They are beautiful.

Old April 24th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #40
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Holy king pin angle!!!!

Last edited by Kathie Fry; July 6th, 2007 at 03:08 PM.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote