S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:56 PM   #1
whiskey02

Default Technique question please

I know everybody is asymmetrical to some degree but with that in mind; my left leg/foot "naturally" wants to set down a little bit more forward than my right, giving me less pavement to underpush/glide on the inside edge. Should I let it "fall" where it wants or (what I have been doing) consciously drop it down a bit earlier to create more symmetry between L & R? It's not a huge difference (?couple inches), I'm right dominant and if I don't make this little effort, I do feel that I'm on my right leg perhaps 1/2 second longer than on my left.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 08:31 PM   #2
TBrown

I hesitate to write about technique - it really is something best instructed by a coach, but this might be straightforward.

Yes, you should try to be symmetrical. Is anyone perfectly symmetrical when they skate? No. but that ideally is the goal.

That being said, the most important thing is whether or not your are balanced. When you recover, if you stopped your stroke at the set down point, could you maintain the glide on one leg? If not, you are not balanced, and you won't be as fast as you could be.

If you are balanced throughout the entirety of your stroke (skate in super slow motion to test), and you don't have any pain associated with an unequal stroke, then carry on and just try to make each stroke as symmetrical as possible.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:02 AM   #3
WJCIV

When I have the biggest problems with asymmetry in stride length, it usually starts at the shoulders. As I get tired, I start to lean more of my weight to one side instead of fully moving it in each direction. I've seen in a few other skaters, too. So the solution may not be to drop your foot earlier, but to pay more attention to where your weight is centered during the stride.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 02:56 PM   #4
kentek

Default video of you

You really need to get a video so we can see what is really going on.
It may be a simple fix.
Surely you can find some one to get behind you with a iPhone.
Waiting anxiously...
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #5
santisport

Default skating asymetries

Check also Hips, always paralell to floor and perpendicular with direction of travel.
santisport is offline   Reply With Quote