S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old February 28th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #41
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumblena109 View Post
Thank you for the cushion suggestion. I will definitely give that a try. Unfortunately, I cannot buy new boots right now, maybe the cushions will
Help...

Thanks
Daisy
Another thought occurred. Blisters mean movement. Perhaps you foot does not move skating on the flat, but the extra push on a hill is doing it. An extra pair of socks, and a 2nd insole in the boot. A normal insole, not a gel. Gels really don't go well with skating. I used a Rebel boot for a long time, and got along with it well. I never thought my foot was moving in it, until I skated a Bont and felt what a really well held in place foot feels like. THEN I could tell my foot was moving in the Rebel when I would skate it. But fortunately, I did not have any ill effects from my foot moving in the boot. Yeah, more socks, or a 2nd normal type insole. Gotta snug up your foot in there some without killing the foot in the process.
Old March 5th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #42
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

"Skating is fun and a whole lot of good for whatever ails you(as long as you don't fall too much - pad up and that problem is lessened too)."
Agree with that! Have had to start wearing some knee pads as I have gotten acquainted with the floor the last couple of times out! Hadn't fallen in years, but at 55 it is slower getting up when I do, so.... Been nursing a sore knee for a couple of weeks now, before pads. Had a kid drop in front of me last week, pads made for a softer landing at least.
Health-wise I join some of you in gut issues. Was told I had Crohns 5 years ago after a scope, but have never had symptoms. Doc put me on some meds that made me feel horrible. Finally changed doctors a couple of years ago and no meds, still no symptoms, so good deal there. Have had to give up some foods, onions, bell peppers. Make me feel like some one stuck an air hose in me and pressed the button. Feel it in my chest and shoulders, so those get a voided. Still can eat jalapenos, and use garlic more now. Lost about 25 lbs a few years ago and felt great, but have put it back on. Looking to get into outdoor skating as I don't get to go to the rink as often as I would like. Still have kiddos at home so stay busy between work and them. Got a bike path close to where I work and plan to use it either in the am before work or at lunch time.
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #43
Tumblena109

Default Blisters and cushion advise

Hi again, I looked on the Riedell website to see the specs for the cushions in my skates, it does not mention the hardness of these standard cushions that came with the skates, R3s.

May I ask which hardness is best? It seems to be based on the skaters height and weight, I am 5'6" 125 lbs so does that make me light weight or middle weight?

I would hate to have too soft, as when i skate down hill I zig zag as if skiing and I worry if the cushions are too soft this method may not work.

Thanks for your help.

Daisy
Tumblena109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #44
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumblena109 View Post
Hi again, I looked on the Riedell website to see the specs for the cushions in my skates, it does not mention the hardness of these standard cushions that came with the skates, R3s.

May I ask which hardness is best? It seems to be based on the skaters height and weight, I am 5'6" 125 lbs so does that make me light weight or middle weight?

I would hate to have too soft, as when i skate down hill I zig zag as if skiing and I worry if the cushions are too soft this method may not work.

Thanks for your help.

Daisy
I don't speak Riedell cushions, just Sure Grip. Don't worry. They are the same size. But the colors and durometers are different from the SG and Riedell. SG cushions are as follows, softest to hardest. Blue, Yellow, Purple, Red. If you don't want to go too soft, I'd guess yellows would be the way to go. The next consideration is whether to use all barrel, or to use a barrel and cone setup. The barrel and cone setup will have an easier initial turn in. All barrel will be a bit firmer.

As for scrubbing speed zig-zagging, a softer cushion should not adversely effect that. It should in fact make it easier. Scrubbing speed is getting that extra little push at the apex of the turn that pushes the wheels into the ground, providing a braking effect. You should find it easier and more controllable with a softer cushion. I think that a HARD really sideways scrub, AKA hockey stop, is better with hard cushions. But scrubbing with a zig-zag should be easier with a softer cushion.
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #45
Tumblena109

Default Cushions

I ordered the cushions and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I revisited the moleskin and found your advise to be quite helpful as well. Thanks so much!

I'll let you know hiw the cushions work out. Stay tuned, lol!

Daisy
Tumblena109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #46
Derrick

Default a year and a half since I started this thread

And I'm finally going i for exploratory surgery on monday. Just a couple of scopes no cutting. But I have to do the liquid diet/super cleanout Sunday. I hopw I can still skate. I think I should be able to. Better go saturday once or twice just in case.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #47
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Best wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
And I'm finally going i for exploratory surgery on monday. Just a couple of scopes no cutting. But I have to do the liquid diet/super cleanout Sunday. I hopw I can still skate. I think I should be able to. Better go saturday once or twice just in case.
Not being healthy sucks, but cramping the skating activities makes it even worse. We are fortunate to live at a time when medical science has made huge progress with the identification and treatment of disease. On the 23rd of November, I had my thyroid and several lymph nodes removed(cancer). Doc says he got it all. Feeling truly blessed. A nerve got severed and several places on the left side of my body are numb(like a shot of Novocain). But I am not complaining about what is lost. I am rejoicing for what I still have. Healing time is taking longer than I would like, but in two to three weeks I should be able to get back to skating again.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #48
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
...in two to three weeks I should be able to get back to skating again.

Keep rollin
You up and running yet? Just wondering...
Old January 16th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #49
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Back at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
You up and running yet? Just wondering...
Surgery was late in November. Doctor kept me on the sidelines for four weeks, but I have been back at it since latter part of December. Now I am being
treated with radiation therapy to prevent a re-occurrence of cancer.

That's me fastened down to the table before getting a dose of radiation.

I am skating twice a week now and I usually make it for about two hours a session before I throw in the towel. Would go more often and skate longer sessions, but arthritis in left foot flares up and I have to curtail my activity. Will attempt to find relief for the foot after this cancer thing is behind me. I'm not complaining, I am very thankful to be able to skate. I just would like to be able to skate really hard and long(was able to until last summer).

Keep rollin
Old January 17th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #50
Derrick

Quote:
Surgery was late in November. Doctor kept me on the sidelines for four weeks, but I have been back at it since latter part of December. Now I am being
treated with radiation therapy to prevent a re-occurrence of cancer.

I am skating twice a week now and I usually make it for about two hours a session before I throw in the towel. Would go more often and skate longer sessions, but arthritis in left foot flares up and I have to curtail my activity. Will attempt to find relief for the foot after this cancer thing is behind me. I'm not complaining, I am very thankful to be able to skate. I just would like to be able to skate really hard and long(was able to until last summer).

Keep rollin
Ironic really, I'm 50 and I can "only" find time for 2 two hour sessions a week. Still that's pretty good, I could enjoy 2 hours everyday really, but that's not going to happen.

Most people I know who are near my age seem frustrated with their sedimentary life style, then call me nuts for skating "at my age." It really bleeds over into satisfaction at home and work.

Keep skating.
Old January 17th, 2016, 03:41 PM   #51
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
...I am very thankful to be able to skate...
I'm sure you have good days and bad too. Not a bad idea to chill and let your body use it's resources to take care of itself either. Happy you are on the backside of that ordeal.

I'll think of you next time I feel too lazy to get out and skate. My date with C could be next week, who really knows.
Old January 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #52
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Ironic really, I'm 50...call me nuts for skating "at my age."
I am 57 and hang out with an older crowd. You should be full speed till 70 - when my friends admit they start feeling a decline. 77 is the oldest really fit guy I know.

^^This is all presuming you take care of yourself and keep at it.
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #53
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I am 57 and hang out with an older crowd. You should be full speed till 70 - when my friends admit they start feeling a decline. 77 is the oldest really fit guy I know.

^^This is all presuming you take care of yourself and keep at it.
I hope to be full speed at 70. But with my high blood pressure, back issue, nagging injury in the glute. Who knows? Everyone is different. But even if I'm not full speed I plan to skate as long as I can walk. May chnge which sessions I choose though.

But I'm not there yet. I still deal with pain like a kid who plays sport. It just reminds of the great time I had getting that pain. I did need to switch to performing on my right foot yesterday though. Spins and three turns. Being able to go either way should help me to heal thwt nagging injury, I hope. I'm planning on going CW for a while. It's natural for me but not as studied because of the standard direction of travel in the rink.
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:39 PM   #54
Derrick

Default Pain in the neck

Lower neck or just between my shoulder blades has been knottedup something terrible for three weeks.

Clearly there is some Cosmic Conspiracy to contradict my notion that all my pains go away while I skate.

I think it's a posture issue. But it gets aggravated when I do a spin or look behind while traveling backwards. I'm half afraid to jump. Always have to practice a couple though.

Most my pains I just ignore and they eventually go away, but I'm afraid I can make this one worse if I don't watch out.

Need to loose a few pounds and continue to work on posture.

Last edited by Derrick; April 21st, 2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:13 AM   #55
Derrick

Default The pain is finally gone this morning wooo hooo

Quote:
Lower neck or just between my shoulder blades has been knottedup something terrible for three weeks.

Clearly there is some Cosmic Conspiracy to contradict my notion that all my pains go away while I skate.

I think it's a posture issue. But it gets aggravated when I do a spin or look behind while traveling backwards. I'm half afraid to jump. Always have to practice a couple though.

Most my pains I just ignore and they eventually go away, but I'm afraid I can make this one worse if I don't watch out.

Need to loose a few pounds and continue to work on posture.

After skate day but I'll take it.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 07:27 AM   #56
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Final Cancer update

It has been a little over a year since I had surgery for thyroid cancer. It had spread to lymph nodes, so my surgeon removed 48 nodes also. The radiation therapy followed. I recently went in for a one year followup having had a scan and blood work for the surgeon to review.

The doctor pronounced me CANCER FREE. I inquired as to what stage the cancer was at when detected and learned only a year later that it was a stage 4 cancer. I had a great surgeon and it would appear that God has more for me. They say "only the good die young". I guess it will take me longer to make it to the good category.

Keep rollin (NOT DEAD YET!!!)
Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:20 PM   #57
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
CANCER FREE
GREAT NEWS MAN!

Now you can stop playing the Lotto because you have already won it! I can't imagine the stress you have been through. So now that you have been given a "second life", anything special you gonna do? Any big changes?

I have never been really sick but I have almost been killed a couple of times (missed by inches) and always come out of it with the mindset that I am now living on "bonus" time and cherish every minute more than I ever did.

Thanks for making my day! Even though I don't know you, I have had friends with "C" and know whether they survived or not the experience pretty much sucked. The light at the end of the tunnel you just emerged from must be blinding! Happy you shared it with us!
Old December 22nd, 2016, 04:59 PM   #58
Derrick

Quote:
It has been a little over a year since I had surgery for thyroid cancer. It had spread to lymph nodes, so my surgeon removed 48 nodes also. The radiation therapy followed. I recently went in for a one year followup having had a scan and blood work for the surgeon to review.

The doctor pronounced me CANCER FREE. I inquired as to what stage the cancer was at when detected and learned only a year later that it was a stage 4 cancer. I had a great surgeon and it would appear that God has more for me. They say "only the good die young". I guess it will take me longer to make it to the good category.

Keep rollin (NOT DEAD YET!!!)

Awesome, Merry Christmas indeed.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 10:48 PM   #59
whiskey02

Sincere congrats Greysk8ter!!!
I'm less than half way through nine week of radiation for prostate cancer. Unrelated to that, just about everything else in my life right now sucks @ss big time, EXCEPT for skating. I'll be alright.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 01:32 PM   #60
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Hang in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
Sincere congrats Greysk8ter!!!
I'm less than half way through nine week of radiation for prostate cancer. Unrelated to that, just about everything else in my life right now sucks @ss big time, EXCEPT for skating. I'll be alright.
We benefit from all the suffering of those before us. Medical science has progressed significantly as a result. Fortunately for you and I, the success rate for treatment is much higher than just a few years previously. This disease affects all ages of all people. I've seen little children racked by cancer and that is the most difficult to witness.

The research being done indicates there are breakthrough discoveries being made. Hopefully, humanity will someday soon look at cancer as it does polio now - a disease eradicated.

The skating is good not only for the psychic, but it strengthens the body and organs(heart & lungs) overall. Rigorous exercise helps with the healing process. So be of good cheer and by all means -

Keep rollin