S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 14th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #1
kentek

Default Fast recovery saved my ass...

Really!
Early on the road just concentrating on form and this rock decides to stop my rolling skate at the most inopportune moment-just as you are almost transferring to your just recovered skate.
Thought I was going down- but I was able to drop very low and let the stopped skate extend way behind me.
Whew! That was really close. But it worked.
Thoroughly sanded the sides of all four wheels. Better them than me!

So, the lesson here is- don't linger on getting your recovery skate back under your center of mass. It will save you.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #2
BigFoot

Good save! Yep, so fast, it almost seems automatic. In a fraction of a second you go from calm to panicked, and snap the other skate into place. Remarkable. Did you feel your heart pounding in your throat? I donít usually think that fast, so Iím guessing a primitive part of the brain has taken control of the situation, like maybe a preservation instinct. Ha! Many times itís gone the other way, and I end up doing a bounce-n-roll on the concrete.

TOP TEN LIST OF WHEEL-STOPPERS No.1: Rocks!!! Especially the angular aggregate rock that is used in concrete.

Also-ran: wood chips, thick sand/dirt, broken glass, acorns, fruit pits, expansion joints, cracks, thick plastic/metal bits of unknown origin, bottle caps.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #3
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Good save! Yep, so fast, it almost seems automatic. In a fraction of a second you go from calm to panicked, and snap the other skate into place. Remarkable. Did you feel your heart pounding in your throat? I donít usually think that fast, so Iím guessing a primitive part of the brain has taken control of the situation, like maybe a preservation instinct. Ha! Many times itís gone the other way, and I end up doing a bounce-n-roll on the concrete.

TOP TEN LIST OF WHEEL-STOPPERS No.1: Rocks!!! Especially the angular aggregate rock that is used in concrete.

Also-ran: wood chips, thick sand/dirt, broken glass, acorns, fruit pits, expansion joints, cracks, thick plastic/metal bits of unknown origin, bottle caps.
Don't forget tar cracks!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #4
kentek

Default one more

Ran over, no into, a jacaranda pod at almost zero mph. Stopped dead and straight armed the ground. Not good for shoulders.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:35 PM   #5
chacata
Skinsuited at last

My collar bone still remembers and shrugs whenever i pass by that tar filled gap between concrete slabs on my usual course... 17 years ago