S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old December 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #361
mkmkenn

Warren was teaching at Wal-Cliffe with my dad when we first started skating there...I do rememebr him skating pairs when I was a kid...

Just got a message through this site from an former student of my mom's wanting to get back in touch with her.

Thsi internet thing will probably catch on some day :-)

Happy Holidays to all & a great 2011!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Mike:

Good to see you back on the forum again.

Yeah, I remember all you have written about Mike, remember you are still a young'n......LOL

Yup hardly a rink in Jersey I did not visit, many times.......

You missed out racing at Prinz in Holyoak Del, on one end of the place if you fell you would end up in the fireplace, the other end you would slide into the bathroom and maybe end up in the you know what.....funny stuff....
last time I raced there was 1959!

Give my regards to your Mom.....

Found someone on an unrelated froum by accident that visited Warren Collozo down in Fla a year back, I am trying to get in touch with him to get Warren's contact info....

Stay in touch Mike...

Racer
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #362
Racer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
Warren was teaching at Wal-Cliffe with my dad when we first started skating there...I do rememebr him skating pairs when I was a kid...

Just got a message through this site from an former student of my mom's wanting to get back in touch with her.

Mike
Merry Christmas Mike, to you and yours...

Racer
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #363
JandKLarson

Quote:
Julie, Racer...you guys still around here?

Julie - who was your best man at your wedding? Kevin's realy partner? He from Kings Park NY? We met at the baseball field when he was coaching my son many years ago. I don't remember how it came up, but we figured out who each other was from all those years ago. We still see each other all around town now. I actually brought my old Wal-Cliffe jacket up to one of the games, and we had a few laughs.

Mike
Hi Mike!

We don't often check back on this thread, but did so today and saw what you posted a month and a half or so ago.

Best man at our wedding was Eric Koch. He's still on Long Island. If you're on Facebook there are some great old pictures posted from back then, a bunch posted by Chris Repetti. If you're on Facebook, look us up - Julie Kevin Larson.

A very happy and safe holiday season to you and your family.

Julie & Kevin
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #364
Quadspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post

Nice pics.
Glory days for sure!!
I can name everyone in the bottom photo.
It was from the 1981 Levi Sports Festival in Syracuse, NY.
Ray Sharp, Rob Dunn, Bob Johnson, Greg Collins.
I can't make out 5th but I think It's Mark Gammon.
That's me running in 3rd place behind Rob.
Quadspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #365
splitwoods

Mike,Julie,Kevin, Marie and Joe, Tony, Tracy....and all the regular readers here.....:

How are you guys????

Been a while.....was checking in this evening and see that my old screen name Splitwoods is now working again....been using Racer for the past few years after the puter crashed.....came back on after repairs back then was having sign in issues so changed to Racer......guess I will sign off with both names.....

At my age it is hard to remember what to use, still looking for my Motorcycle keys.....LOL

Wanted to wish everyone here on the forum a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Racer/Splitwoods

Quote:

Mike
splitwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #366
rocketman2bad

Default Dennis Howard

For those of you that remember Dennis Howard, one of the fastest and smoothest skaters I've ever watched, and was a proud teammate of his, has passed away. June 22, 2012. He died of cancer.
rocketman2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #367
tucker16
Quads are my hotrods

[QUO TE=Aaron Hoover;127784]

I wanted to share this photo of Team Roller Dome out of Fort Wayne, Indiana from Nationals 2007 in Omaha, NE.

Team Roller Dome brought home 7 Gold, 3 Silver, & 1 Bronze medal and set 3 national records.

Coaches are Aaron Hoover, Brian Weidler, & Cecil Hickson[/QUOTE]

That's my team ! Well there are many more now
tucker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #368
wpratt

Default I trained Under a US Open Coach

Back in the day (1989ish) I trained under a coach who was also the US Open coach. Hi name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't find a list to help me remember. I was nowhere close to the fastest on our team, but one, Timmy Nipper, still holds the worlds record in JO. I learned a lot from him. Too bad I didn't know I had Asthma then. An inhaler may have really changed my game!

SOPHOMORE TWO MIX QUAD 2000m 1991 3:48.59 Timothy Nipper, Marla Faircloth, Tulsa, OK

To be totally honest, he was a, well, not likable guy who had serious self esteem issues and was mean to "compensate" for it, but none the less, good times. If I remember correctly, the coaches name was Joe something. Sorry, was forever ago. I still remember the slow conversion to inlines and when "Bont" first came out!
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #369
Skate4fitness

This discussion thread certainly has legs and generates much interest. Many photos no longer visible but the discussion are familiar.

This May 1946 cover of Skating News features skaters from Arcadia and Madison Gardens of Chicago at the Illinois State Meet. My mother skated with this group. The lead skater is Ray Sopper, followed by Vic Tramkian, Charles Fuertsch (wearing mask) and Elmer Knight (knee showing only). Elmer Knight would go on to win the state title. His brother Earl would continue to speed skate and win national title in 1952. The brothers won and placed in several national speed relays. I think my mother had a crush on Elmer...they dated before he joined the Army Air Corp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
From Dick Young: "This is the cover of the May 1946 issue of Skating News. Notice not only the uniforms and skates, but also the pylon. The third skater has a mask on to protect him from breathing the dust from the powder."

Skate4fitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #370
TONY KISSING

Default Why no old roller speed skaters in the hall of fame?

THE ASSOCIATION THAT RUN COMPETITIVE ROLLER SPEED SKATING
WAS FORMED IN 1937 IN DETROIT. THERE ARE NO ROLLER SPEED SKATERS
IN THE HALL OF FROM 1937 UNTIL GEORGE GRUDZA ENTERED - HE WON
SENIOR MEN IN 1960 AND AGAIN IN 1964. ONLY THOSE THAT WON SENIOR ARE IN THE HALL OF FAME. THE SPORT DOES HAVE SOME GREAT YOUNG
SPEED SKATERS WHO WON MANY YEARS BUT AREN'T IN THE HALL.
RALPH CONRAD WAS ONE OF THOSE GREAT YOUNG RACERS.
NOW YOU TELL ME OF ONE SPORT THAT DOESN'T SUPPORT THEIR GREAT OLD TIMERS. OUR SPORT IS A DISGRACE AT OMITTING THE GREAT OLD TIMERS. THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE COACHES - EQUIPMENT PEOPLE - ETC
WHO ALSO ARE NOT IN THE HALL. CHECK THEM OUT MOST ARE RINK OWNERS. I COACHED FOR MANY YEARS AND HAD GREAT SUCCESS IN THE 1970s. I HAD TO WORK I HAD A FAMILY WHAT I GAVE TO ROLLER SPEED SKATING AND MANY OTHERS LIKE ME ARE FORGOTTEN.
WRITE AND THE HALL COMMITTEE TO PUT IN THE OLD TIMERS FROM THE 1930s - 40s - 50s!!! PLEASE!
TONY KISSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #371
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY KISSING View Post
THE ASSOCIATION THAT RUN COMPETITIVE ROLLER SPEED SKATING
WAS FORMED IN 1937 IN DETROIT. THERE ARE NO ROLLER SPEED SKATERS
IN THE HALL OF FROM 1937 UNTIL GEORGE GRUDZA ENTERED - HE WON
SENIOR MEN IN 1960 AND AGAIN IN 1964. ONLY THOSE THAT WON SENIOR ARE IN THE HALL OF FAME. THE SPORT DOES HAVE SOME GREAT YOUNG
SPEED SKATERS WHO WON MANY YEARS BUT AREN'T IN THE HALL.
RALPH CONRAD WAS ONE OF THOSE GREAT YOUNG RACERS.
NOW YOU TELL ME OF ONE SPORT THAT DOESN'T SUPPORT THEIR GREAT OLD TIMERS. OUR SPORT IS A DISGRACE AT OMITTING THE GREAT OLD TIMERS. THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE COACHES - EQUIPMENT PEOPLE - ETC
WHO ALSO ARE NOT IN THE HALL. CHECK THEM OUT MOST ARE RINK OWNERS. I COACHED FOR MANY YEARS AND HAD GREAT SUCCESS IN THE 1970s. I HAD TO WORK I HAD A FAMILY WHAT I GAVE TO ROLLER SPEED SKATING AND MANY OTHERS LIKE ME ARE FORGOTTEN.

WRITE AND THE HALL COMMITTEE TO PUT IN THE OLD TIMERS FROM THE 1930s - 40s - 50s!!! PLEASE!
Tony, at this forum the only group that knows "skating" is the art group, they may not be familiar with the racing aspect, I would suggest, if you do Facebook, looking for the organ skaters group, lots of knowledgable members, and the shuffle skaters may have a better memory of racing, at least it would be a start.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote