S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Roller Demon

Default How do you learn to grind?

There are no other quad skaters at the park I go to and very few inliners either, so I am reduced to Youtube and message boards to try to get this sorted out. I am also the only adult female I have seen on wheels at this skate park, and the only adult who is trying to learn (there are quite a few grown men, but they have been skateboarding for years) which puts me even farther out of the mainstream. But I really want to learn to do this!

They only have coping at this particular park on the really steep areas. The less intense slopes, you just roll over. And this makes it hard to learn on the coping. They have some box thingys with coping on the edges, but they are on top of bumps and slopes, so again, it is hard to learn.

Looking at Youtube, the way to learn and practice is a grind bar or box in the driveway. Which is easier to learn on? I saw one vid with a kid grinding on a heavy waxed up fence post. I could go get one of those at Lowes for like $20. My husband is handy, so it would be easy to make a box. I see many designs for free in the interwebs. We can say it is for the kids I saw bars for sale online, which would be easier than making one since we don't have welding tools.

And what is this skate wax? I can get it at the local skate shop I guess. But I feel embarrassed to ask too much.

So I am looking for easy to learn on/cheap/easy to make in pretty much that order.

Thanks!
Roller Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
biffsk8er

I find that a wooden half pipe is the best place to learn, with metal pipe coping. As long as it is about 4 to 6 feet tall, it makes falling more like sliding down. Not so hard on the body. Also, you can carve into the grind more as you progress to slide farther and farther.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:48 PM   #3
chloechloe

I am posting this a bit late but hopefully, someone else will benefit from it if you already mastered your goal of grinding.

Grinding is a bit difficult but since you mention you are on quads, you can start by just jumping lines cracks on the ground.

Start by jumping while standing still on skates to find balance
Move on to skating slowly while jumping a single crack- move up to several cracks or lines on the road in a row while skating (moving) it sounds like a task you can do in about 5 seconds but it takes more energy and focus then people realize. Eventually you notice you go from barley lifting your feet, to three inches, eventually 6 inches and when you feel ready, you can try to incorporate moving the hips towards, say a curb to start with and work your way up to this structure your husband built.

Also, I know it feels weird going to skate shops but at the end of the day, they are there to sell things to people. If you feel really super embarrassed just go to an online skate shop, email them and buy through them- or just do not go to the local skate shop you typically go to and go to the next closest one.

Good luck!!
chloechloe is offline   Reply With Quote