S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old April 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Yogi Bear

Default Plates for Speed?

Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback from experienced skaters about the best plates currently available for speedskating. My main question has to do with the degree angle of the truck and what is best for speed.

It has been suggested to me that there is more smoothness in the corner and better, more consistent power on the lower angle (10 degree) of the traditional steel plates. Is this true or will a plate such as the Avenger do well for a speed skater like myself?
Yogi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Armadillo

Yogi, welcome to the SkateLogForum! -- and the quad speed section too.

If you introduce your to the website search feature you will likely find much more background info to your question than will be freshly posted here.

#1 there are pretty much no steel plates, with a few exceptions, they are all aluminum or plastics.

#2 As far as best geometry, you are correct that the steeper (0-20 degree kingpin plates will typically orient their trucks to swing at a more optimally shallow angle and give a better power stroke for speed.

#3 The steeper (30 degree) kingpin plates like the Avenger will turn further with less degrees of plate lean than the shallower action speed plate. This means that the track of your arc on turns can wiggle further as your precision of holding the correct plate lean slips off the mark. In addition, the Avenger DA45 type suspension tends to offer less stability near the neutral zone, since it carries much less of the skaters weight on the upper cushion. This causes the resistance to the initial truck swing away from neutral to me much lower than the shallower action typical speed plates - Reactor, Proline, and PowerTrac.

#4 Some skaters with good skills can still handle the more responsive DA45 suspension without any stability issues. Some can even get decent speed from them, but they still have built in design issues that make reaching and sustaining maximum speed more difficult for typical skaters.

-Armadillo
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Yogi Bear

Thanks Armadillo!

I use to do derby then started speedskating. When our derby team broke up, I stuck with speed as I actually like it better. I was leaning toward the Avenger before, but now that I am in speed, I get mixed reviews on weather I should get it for speed. Every bit of research I do tends to show that a plate like the Proline or something like it would be optimal. I guess I willl have to skate the plastics until I gather the cash for the right purchase.
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi Bear View Post
Thanks Armadillo!

I use to do derby then started speedskating. When our derby team broke up, I stuck with speed as I actually like it better. I was leaning toward the Avenger before, but now that I am in speed, I get mixed reviews on weather I should get it for speed. Every bit of research I do tends to show that a plate like the Proline or something like it would be optimal. I guess I willl have to skate the plastics until I gather the cash for the right purchase.
For my money, the Nova plate is the best plastic speed plate to go with.
It is fiberglass reinforced and a box channel design similar to the Reactor.
For the price you can't beat it for a speed plate.

-Armadillo
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Yogi Bear

Thanks, any suggestions for a decent aluminum plate?

I mean, I would love to have a Proline, but is it worth the money?
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #6
cass38a

Proline, Boen, Ultimate 3 or 4, WIP, Galaxy or Powertrack............if speed is your goal get a speed plate.

The king of speed plates is a Boen Speed.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Yogi Bear

Is the Boen just as good for indoor speed even though it doesn't have a toestop?
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #8
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Quote:
Is the Boen just as good for indoor speed even though it doesn't have a toestop?
You don't need a toestop for speed.

People use them to start, but people can start just as fast or even faster without them.
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Yogi Bear

Thanks for the info, I am checking out the Boen website. I appreciate the suggestions.
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #10
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

The Boens you find on their website are not the Boens we are referring to.

While it is true that Boen are going to be releasing a new quad speedplate. It is yet to be seen exactly what it will be.

To get an ORIGINAL Boen Speed plate will require some luck and a big wallet to be honest.

The closest thing in action to a Boen and with a toestop would be a Proline.
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #11
Yogi Bear

Ok, so you are talking about an old school Boen? I have thought about the Proline. How good is the Powertrac by Sure Grip or something like it?
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #12
JandKLarson

I used to race on a Proline up until the early 90s when I switched to inlines. Last year I decided to get some new quads and compete at Quad Nationals. I got Bont CQRs for boots. Didn't really want to spring for Prolines (and my old ones disappeared with my old Oberhammer boots that I lent to someone who skated for a short time with our speed team). At the advice of dvw here on the forum, I opted for a Snyder Advantage instead. I like it and from what I remember I don't feel much difference between it and the Proline.

Kevin
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #13
cass38a

I know it is unlikely to ever happen that a Quad skater will ever get there again but toe stops are outlawed at the world championships.

I really can't help you with toe stop stuff as I have never used them.

Yes you can get off the line without toe stops and once you are moving you dont need to carry the weight for the rest of the race. Check out this video for a NTS start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF67tSeZ9jY
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Armadillo

Quote:
Ok, so you are talking about an old school Boen? I have thought about the Proline. How good is the Powertrac by Sure Grip or something like it?
If you are on a budget, forget about the Boens.
If the budget is too tight initially for a more affordable serious speed plate, like the Reactor, Proline, or PowerTrac ($225-300) then stick with the Nova.

For under $100, a Nova plate will skate like a serious speed plate, and it will not flex all that much either, despite the plastic. Plus it is lighter than most of its metal cousins.

The PowerTrac is one of the best designed plates for getting maximum power from your stroke down onto the floor. However, it does not turn worth a crap. It takes some serious suspension tweaking to get a pair of PowerTrac skates to begin to turn fairly well --- more tweaking than any other skate I have ever optimized.. In the end it can turn way better than a factory setup, but few skaters will ever experience a PowerTrack turning easily. So, if you really don't need such good turning response (without a lot of fiddling), the PowerTrac can still be a good pure speed plate.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; April 20th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

See if you can borrow someone's skates and see what works for you.

If you are looking for a Proline, get a Proline. The attention to detail and overall quality is second to none.

The Avenger is a good plate for the money, and it is crazy light. But, if all you ever plan on doing is speed, it may not be the best choice. Some of us use DA45's for speed and do quite well on them, but they do take a little extra work to learn how to skate on. Also, most speed coaches don't know how to deal with the form changes that come with the 45 action.

The Power Trac..... imo, stay away. They still have truck and axle issues. They have improved over the years, but the same basic design issues still exist.

Plastic plates..... imo, stay away. There are cost and weight incentives to using plastic plates, IE Nova, Laser and Satellite. But reliability and durability issues do pop up from time to time. If you are a maintenance junkie and stay on top of your skates, the chance for sudden and unexpected catastrophic failure is reduced.

Bottom line, get a Proline.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Yogi Bear

I don't have to be on a budget and I was really trying to go with an aluminum plate. The more I find out about the DX-45, the more I don't want it for speed, but might have like it for derby. I only do speed and session and plan on keeping it that way. I would love to make it to nationals in 2013, so I want to continue to improve and I feel like I am limited by my R3's and the plastic plates. I have a good couple of coaches and a decent team, just need better equipment, as my son does as well.

I like the Proline, but wanted to make sure I couldn't get a suitable alternative if possible. Doesn't really sound like it though. The only downside is that I will have to switch things up to 7mm.
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #17
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I`ve never skated a Proline but I think its a little limited, just in my opinion only now, of what it can do as far as maneuverability goes.
If you want something that is sharp and appealing to the eye as well as performing at both speed and session skating PLUS some of the best customer service out there because of their lifetime guarantee, why not look into a Snyder Advantage. A little different king pin angle but not enough to keep you from being stable at speeds but also allows you to play around in the shuffle line and other stuff.
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #18
arcadefreaque

Quote:
The only downside is that I will have to switch things up to 7mm.
Not sure how that's a downside, but ProLines do come with 8mm axles, if you order them that way.
arcadefreaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #19
Yogi Bear

After I typed that about 7mm axles, I looked up the Proline and see it can be ordered with 8mm axle, but thanks for the heads up.

I am interested in the Snyder's too, and I like that a couple of people have suggested them. So, correct me if I am wrong, but are you guys suggesting that the Snyder Advantage has better turning motion without sacrificing stability. I ask because I have only been skating about 9 months, but my speed skating is improving rapidly. I can't shuffle yet, but wouldn't mind learning at some point.
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #20
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
After I typed that about 7mm axles, I looked up the Proline and see it can be ordered with 8mm axle, but thanks for the heads up.

I am interested in the Snyder's too, and I like that a couple of people have suggested them. So, correct me if I am wrong, but are you guys suggesting that the Snyder Advantage has better turning motion without sacrificing stability. I ask because I have only been skating about 9 months, but my speed skating is improving rapidly. I can't shuffle yet, but wouldn't mind learning at some point.
I`ll put it like this. First, I`m not gonna knock the Proline because I used to want one, really bad. I skated a Laser S/A for 30 years or better. That plate could not/would not turn. I wanted a plate that turned but didn`t want to sacrifice stability, the kind of stability that I was accustomed to. I got a Roll Line Variant. Too big of a jump for me at the time, sold it. A friend of mine sold me his Ultimate III, fell in love with it. First D/A plate I`ve skated in many moon. Then I was able to get a really great deal on a used Advantage. I absolutely love this plate. It basically has the KP angle as the UIII but differs in the pivot area. Has more adjustability, more bling ... And here`s one more thing: The other day, about 2 weeks ago I picked up a squeak in my Advantage. Found out the axle was loose in the front truck on the left plate. Contacted Steven Ball @ Sure Grip, sent him the truck, he sent me a new one TODAY! No questions. Snyder is quality and they stand behind their stuff. They didn`t ask where or how I got the plates, just send me the truck he says. Can`t beat that, no way. Don`t know if the Proline is like this or not but I do know Snyder is.