S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 31st, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Default First North Shore Marathon?

How many forum members are doing their first ever North Shore marathon?

How many folks have multiple NSIMs?

I started out in 2010 with the NSIM 1/2 marathon (couldn't keep the frame on my right boot! but did manage to finish) and then have made it to the full marathon in 11, 12,13. Now hoping for my best showing ever in '14.
Old September 1st, 2014, 04:39 AM   #2
Sk8formiles

Default 1st NSIM

This year will be my 1st NSIM
Sk8formiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:43 AM   #3
ese002

This will be my fifth:

2006 The rain year
2007 the cold year (27F at the start line)
2008 the FAST year (light tailwind and still beautiful pavement)
2013 the headwind year

Last year was appalling, even in relative terms. I hoping to redeem myself a bit though it is probably asking too much to expect a repeat of my '08 time.

I seem to bring extreme conditions. Maybe it will be HOT this year. Or maybe hail.
ese002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM   #4
ThePerambulator

This will be my sixth time at the race.

2009: 1:51
2010: 1:48 (rain year)
2011: 1:30
2012: 1:12
2013: 1:34 (first time skating in Elite at this race. It was ugly)
2014: Skating the Combined!
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 02:01 PM   #5
bjvircks
Major Trouble

thanks for joining the party, Sk8formiles! Is there another skater that got you interested in doing NSIM or did you come across it on your own?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:16 AM   #6
WJCIV

I'm hoping to be there next year. This is supposed to be my last year of grad school, then I get a real job and make enough money to travel for a race or two each year other than IDN.

I did it 2-3 times in the 2000-2003 timeframe. Fell each time and still managed to finish with the main advanced pack. One year we caught some of the pro women, which caused a bit of a commotion because a couple of them hopped in with our pack (which was against the rules), and apparently it actually affected the final placements a bit.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:51 AM   #7
Sk8formiles

Actually I have wanted to do it for years, just never able to make everything work out.
Sk8formiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:57 PM   #8
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

If I race this year, It will be my 6th or 7th,.. cant remember...
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:56 PM   #9
slow jim

This will be my 17th straight year. I started inline skating in '98 so missed the first 2 years. Quite a change in the atmosphere of the event last year and probably this year with numbers around 1000 compared to the glory years with 4000+ skaters. This is still a great event though and I hope it continues on for years and years. I'm especially looking forward to the new pavement applied over the 8+ miles of rough pavement!
slow jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:09 PM   #10
bjvircks
Major Trouble

yep... the event has changed quite a lot. The demographics of the participants has changed a lot also!

here is the headcount from a few days ago. (does not include runners)

as of Aug 29th

Code:
total on wheels	1313

Inline Marathon	1054

elite total       95
Open Men          16
Men 30-39          8
Men 40-49         23
Men 50+           37
Open Women/40+    11

ADV/Rec-Fit      959
Adv 1             73
Adv 2             68
Adv 3             82
Rec 1            238
Rec 2            254
Rec 3            244

1/2 marathon     218
Combined          23
Rollerski         18
Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:07 PM   #11
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

This is my fourth year registered, but third year that I will be racing:

2011 (cold start)
2012 (registered but couldn't attend, stood up in a wedding)
2013 (head wind, yikes)

Going to see if I can keep up with Advanced Wave 1. Looking forward to the race.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:58 PM   #12
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Hi Donnybrook! the numbers seem to show that you should do well in ADV 1. I've pulled the past times from everyone in ADV 1 to see how things look for me. When you posted here I took the opportunity to look at where you fell in the numbers. I can send you the data if you'd like to see. Your delta from 2011 to 2013 is pretty impressive!

edit... my ranking is a bit skewed because there are seven skaters in ADV 1 this year (so far) that posted sub 1:20 times in '11 or '12 but didn't do NSIM in '13
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #13
wm_b
Upgrade to matching shoes

I'm skating my 4th consecutive NSIM this year. 2012 had the best weather in my experiences. 2011 was cold. I remember shivering as we waited to start. I had broken my ankle the previous June 21st and this race was my motivation to get back on my skates. It was my first race on inlines.

2012 was fast and comfortable temps. The start was hairy. Skaters all over the road in multiple pacelines. Speeds were reaching 32 and beyond. I got away with the lead group but was in over my head. About mile 14 I got a cramp and had to drop. It took ages before anyone caught up to me. The wind was so favorable that I was useless and still finished in 80 minutes. I think we hit the halfway mark in 36 minutes.

2013 was so slow and kind of boring. I never looked at my watch to see how long it was taking but we slogged to Duluth with practically the whole wave in one paceline. 93 Minutes has never been so dull.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the forecast will change.
wm_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #14
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm_b View Post
I'm skating my 4th consecutive NSIM this year. 2012 had the best weather in my experiences. 2011 was cold. I remember shivering as we waited to start. I had broken my ankle the previous June 21st and this race was my motivation to get back on my skates. It was my first race on inlines.

2012 was fast and comfortable temps. The start was hairy. Skaters all over the road in multiple pacelines. Speeds were reaching 32 and beyond. I got away with the lead group but was in over my head. About mile 14 I got a cramp and had to drop. It took ages before anyone caught up to me. The wind was so favorable that I was useless and still finished in 80 minutes. I think we hit the halfway mark in 36 minutes.

2013 was so slow and kind of boring. I never looked at my watch to see how long it was taking but we slogged to Duluth with practically the whole wave in one paceline. 93 Minutes has never been so dull.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the forecast will change.
Wave A2 finished 2013 in about 96-97 minutes. That race was long and boring until we got onto I35. I remember skating in the cold in 2011. That is about all I remember. I was also coming off an injury that year, sprained ankle after the Chicagoland at the end of July 2011. Still really bummed I missed 2012, though, that weather. Forecast for this weekend doesn't look great. http://www.wunderground.com/weather-...N/Duluth.html?

Start temps around 40 for the full marathon, colder for the half. Wind WSW (headwind) at 5-10 mph. Not as bad as last year, but not great either.
Old September 9th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #15
wm_b
Upgrade to matching shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Wave A2 finished 2013 in about 96-97 minutes. That race was long and boring until we got onto I35. I remember skating in the cold in 2011. That is about all I remember. I was also coming off an injury that year, sprained ankle after the Chicagoland at the end of July 2011. Still really bummed I missed 2012, though, that weather. Forecast for this weekend doesn't look great. http://www.wunderground.com/weather-...N/Duluth.html?

Start temps around 40 for the full marathon, colder for the half. Wind WSW (headwind) at 5-10 mph. Not as bad as last year, but not great either.
In 2011 I distinctly remember taking off my shoes and socks while sitting in the open door of Glenn Koshi's van and feeling that cold air. It was a serious "WTF am I getting myself into?" kind of moment.
wm_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #16
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Heading out tomorrow, everyone have safe travels!

Stop by and say hey, I will have the Pinnacle booth setup, check out the newest boots, deals on boots, and jump on up to get molded for a full custom. Sop by and check out all of the new 2015 TLTF wheels also!

Also, if you are feeling giving, grab a fundraiser shirt for my brothers trip to the 2014 World Championships. This year its about 6000 for the trip (ouch).

You can purchase from here also.
http://www.pinnacleracing.com/spfrt.html
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Alyosha

Hope you all had a great race. The temp was a touch cool and the wind a little unfavorable but, overall, it was a glorious morning. I came in relatively out of shape and without expectations of myself so I was able to just kick back and enjoy the sunshine and new pavement.
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #18
shesk8

What was everyone's expectations of this event (for those of you that attended)? and, were they met? What was your experience? There is a lot of commentary flying about re: lack of timing chips for all participants (one reason given to participants was lack of funds?), and on top of that messed up timing results. I am sorry, but this "was" the 19th years of the granddaddy of inline skate events, and for years results and timing chips were not an issue. Race organizers have to realize that having accurately timed race result was, and is, also one of the main draws of that event, even more so than road quality, participants want to get a "real time results", they PAY for having a chip and to collect a standing time at the end of it all. For $125, many people were disappointed, and apparently not even offered any refund compensation for lack of timing chips.

So what gives? Did organizers/race director of this event change hands ( maybe I am not aware of)? Skaters go to NSIM for obtainable "real timed races results". Lack of chips for participants was never a thing in the past, so what changed? Some skaters are deterred from attending other events where timing chip systems are not used. So, will this lil' NSIM fiasco jeopardize the future of NSIM's? Overall participant #'s were down as it was. I'd like to hear back form organizers on a few things: why did all participant not get timing chips?, and, for those that did not get timing chips why were they not even offered partial refund?, and, what's up with the messed up results (this includes results of those that did have timing chips.)

I believe this was the 19th year of NSIM, how is it it could get that messed up? You can't point blame for this on volunteers, or lack thereof, when the group that puts this race on is a for-profit corporation.

there are few inline marathon events as it is, let alone well-organized ones, and to see this happen really is a step backwards, and huge disappointment to the skating community. At the end of the day, it's the skaters experience that will keep them coming back. Upset & disappoint them and they may just not return. Just to give skaters a realistic view of things from monetary perspective: + $160,000, based on 1300 (as estimated on Vbricks sept 3rd date) participants at $125/per head. Out of entry fees comes event shirts, timing chip, insurance, and costs for road closures, race infrastructure, medals, and of course to pay event organizers. That is more than enough to have good solid timing system and results.

Hoping this was a one-time fail and that organizers are already looking ahead to put out a top notch event, sans glitches, for the 20th venue.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #19
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesk8 View Post
What was everyone's expectations of this event (for those of you that attended)? and, were they met?
I am interested to hear what the first attenders have to say in this regard also. As my third time attending, everything that went on met my expectations, except for my finish time being slower than I hoped, but that is my fault. It was still a course PR for me, oddly.

I understand the chip timing issue was M-Tec's fault, not NSIMs, but that is just through the grape vine.
Old September 15th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #20
fuss

I had a great time at my first NSIM, I made a couple of rookie mistakes that prob cost me a few min but all in all I really enjoyed the course (except for the tar snake section) and had a blast. Donnybrook did you wear a cam this year and have a video to share?? cant get enough of the helmet cam videos!
fuss is offline   Reply With Quote