S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old January 19th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #81
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Hey Lynn what note ##

Hi Sk8mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rmom View Post
I've typed several posts on this and then deleted them because they were too long or preachy or whatever.

What note were you replying to?
Was it the first note?

I would probably say what you were saying in another way, except for a response to the first note, yet I didn't want to crawl through 80 notes.

Anyway which note?

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #82
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rmom View Post
I've typed several posts on this and then deleted them because they were too long or preachy or whatever....
Hey, after reading your great post on this subject, please don't delete any more! If they are half as good as your post here, we'd really want to hear more. Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsk8 View Post
Any obsession is bad, no matter what it is, anything that takes away your ability to think clear is not good. Skating has been my obsession for a long time, thank God I am not married and have no kids, but it has for sure got between me and work and me and every serious relationship i've been into.
Great thread hope we all learn from it. I know I have (not)
LOL. Unrepentant - that's what it sounds like to me. With a lot of work, your condition, sir, might be downgraded to "obsession:. Until then, it is far, far worse. Right off the scale... LOL.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #83
excelsk8
MPC Turbo

Oh, I wasn't aware of any scales...
excelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #84
sk8rmom

The post I'm referring to was never actually posted.

I guess I was referring to the gist of this thread and to someone who had cut back on skating because of pressure from his spouse. He tried to put a positive spin on it, but to me it just sounded like a jealous spouse. I don't have time for that and won't deal with it in MY marriage.

I wasn't really clear on that was I?

Have you ever been mad and typed an email to someone and then decided not to send it? That's what this amounted to. I spent time typing a post and then before I hit submit, I changed my mind about submitting it. I did that several times in this thread. They all said what this one said, just more rambling or giving examples sometimes.

Sometimes things come out harsh and people misunderstand. Yes, I'm selfish about some things and I can be high maintenance sometimes, but when the chips are down, I can handle it.

I know what you're thinking, she talks a good game, right? LOL You have no idea.

I know we all have our stories so suffice it to say that of the 5 (or is it 6?) major events we can experience in our lives, I experienced all 5 in a 3-6 months time frame and had to handle everything alone while trying to take care of a 6 yr old and 2 yr old. It's a long story, maybe I will write a book someday.
Old February 1st, 2016, 06:17 PM   #85
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Apparently the obsession with skating has been cured for everyone (the post above this one is 2008). Or maybe just the obsession with writing about skating has passed. Or maybe there is a newer obsession thread I don't know about.

So how about a head count! ANYBODY still obsessed with skating? (except myself and @foot2big) What happened? I know this message board is not very smartphone friendly so maybe that is an issue for the younger obsessed skaters.

Obviously if your skating obsessed train has departed the station you won't be here to tell us about your newest obsession(s), or why you moved on from skating. But if you ARE here, and you skate so much and talk about skating so much that you are alienating your friends and relatives - CHIME IN PLEASE!!!

Last edited by Joey; February 1st, 2016 at 10:31 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 12:38 AM   #86
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I've been twice the past 2 days in a row and 4 times on saturday!

I can quit anytime I want to!! Hahahahahahaha

Fuk where are my boots.......
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:35 AM   #87
jmio

oh yeah, for sure. I have been guilty of jumping from hobby to hobby in the past. I have a job that has a weight limit (life flight nurse) and i have always been a powerlifter/football player. Well now i have to be under 220 and I despise running. Biking in Houston is a nightmare so my wife and i decided to try out skating. I always did it when I was younger, now i'm 33, and have no shame of lacing up my skates and hittting 15 miles on them. I am going 3 to 4 times a week, and I would go everyday if my schedule allowed. My wife enjoys skating with me, but she has no interest in training, studying how to get faster and stronger. Me, i'm all about trying to best myself in all activites!
jmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #88
Armadillo

Same for me. I always have goals that represent ways that I need to improve my skating. Faster times over known courses of races routes.

I structure workouts to have metrics, so I can monitor/confirm my extent of progress. I have distance goals for every session. Weekly goals based on weather permitting amount of training time available.

Until this past week, Spring weather here in Chicago has been horrible.
Ten days ago after another week of no training bad weather had finished, eating the weekend too, we got a decent enough Monday for be to do 18 miles.

Then when I saw that after Tue. we were in for several more rainy days, I decided I must skate on Tue. PM, no matter what, just to get as close as I could to a measly 40 miles in 10 days.

On Tue. PM I felt fine and started out going south into the wind for 8+ miles.
The wind died out some, by the time I reached the turnaround and headed north, so I did not get as much assist on the way back.

As I approached the worst stretch of pavement on the way back, just over a mile from my car I started to run out of gas. Made it through the bad zone ans headed up the longest uphill stretch of the path through a construction where a too narrow, too sharp temporary detour turn had been badly conceived.

Already slowed from the hill and feeling tired, I slowed more to let two side-by-side bikes cut the corner before I reached it.

There is that point in the transition from rolling at speed to almost stopping where you kind of lose track of your balance from the loss of rolling momentum, and right then this happened to me triggering a fall rearward to my left, with my left ankle rolling out right below my falling weight.

I felt the pain as my left ankle bent outward and hyperextended to the limit point of where ankle parts start to tear and/or break.

My first thought was "how much training time will I lose?"
I got up and "limp skated" back to the car feeling good that I could at least put some weight down on the foot.

This injury is a severe ankle sprain with major trauma to ligaments and muscles - some slight tearing possible.
It's now 9 days since the fall, and I am steadily improving my limp speed and nearing a normal gait, but my focus remains on how soon can I lace up my skates again. I am shooting for this Sat. or Sun.

Am I addicted to skating? - no doubt about it!

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; May 29th, 2016 at 01:29 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #89
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmio View Post
oh yeah, for sure. I have been guilty of jumping from hobby to hobby in the past. I have a job that has a weight limit (life flight nurse) and i have always been a powerlifter/football player. Well now i have to be under 220 and I despise running. Biking in Houston is a nightmare so my wife and i decided to try out skating. I always did it when I was younger, now i'm 33, and have no shame of lacing up my skates and hittting 15 miles on them. I am going 3 to 4 times a week, and I would go everyday if my schedule allowed. My wife enjoys skating with me, but she has no interest in training, studying how to get faster and stronger. Me, i'm all about trying to best myself in all activites!
Welcome, great first post.
I understand exactly the weight problem and will only point out that diet and exercise need to be coincided to achieve the desired results, err, diet is the elephant in the room, time to track calories, your job (livelihood) is the important thing, skipping lunch, leaving the sugar on the table, not drinking sugary drinks...etc.
A slow withdrawal, but a conscious one.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #90
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
But if you ARE here, and you skate so much and talk about skating so much that you are alienating your friends and relatives

Who are these fabled freinds/relative creatures? What size do they wear? Can I take a request to the DJ for them?
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #91
Oicusk82huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Apparently the obsession with skating has been cured for everyone (the post above this one is 2008). Or maybe just the obsession with writing about skating has passed. Or maybe there is a newer obsession thread I don't know about.

So how about a head count! ANYBODY still obsessed with skating? (except myself and @foot2big) What happened? I know this message board is not very smartphone friendly so maybe that is an issue for the younger obsessed skaters.

Obviously if your skating obsessed train has departed the station you won't be here to tell us about your newest obsession(s), or why you moved on from skating. But if you ARE here, and you skate so much and talk about skating so much that you are alienating your friends and relatives - CHIME IN PLEASE!!!
Oh yeah. We're still here and still obsessed. The best part about life is the skating. What makes it even better is skating with friends and family. Skating makes life complete.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #92
everest

I know the feeling, just like my hockey obsession years ago, I just wanted to wake up early and went to that outdoor rink when no one was there, and practiced about 2 hours for every Saturday and Sunday.

I am not changing to get up early and skate in some communities when people are still inside the house or sleeping, and I skated in any ways I wanted.

If it is call an obsession, it is a good one, but just watch out your knees and do not get the temper/desire to break records.......unless you have a plan to try the marathon or something like that.

It is okay to have interests in many things in different times. Since we only liv e once, and we only get to be in the 20s once, 30s once, 40s once, and so on, why should a person only does the same things over and over just to be on safe side? I like to get into different things, versatile is what I expect my life to be.
everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #93
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Who are these fabled freinds/relative creatures? What size do they wear? Can I take a request to the DJ for them?
I can remember when every friend I had (and some relatives) were only seen in a skating rink on adult nights. I made more lasting friends in that rink than I did in 5 years of college.
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:05 PM   #94
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

This month, I've skated twice a day 14 out of the 21 days. Those other days I only skated once.

#ateup

I might have a problem. I built this in my backyard.
https://youtu.be/UF6tdFV17-Q
Old July 22nd, 2016, 03:02 AM   #95
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
This month, I've skated twice a day 14 out of the 21 days. Those other days I only skated once.
Maniac

Quote:
I might have a problem.
Might?

Quote:
I built this in my backyard.
MIGHT???!!!

A few weeks ago a woman on quad skates at the park where I do laps asked me what I was training for after she learned I crank out 100+ miles almost every week lately. I just told her I have a mileage disorder. I don't train, I just skate - sometimes until I can't go any longer (which currently is about 35 miles). I am just addicted to how it feels to roll on skates and can't help myself.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 05:41 AM   #96
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Im still obsessed.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 11:46 AM   #97
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post

#ateup

I might have a problem. I built this in my backyard.

Oh, that is a problem. It filled up too quickly, I think you should buy some acreage.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:54 PM   #98
fierocious1

Default hmmmm maybe

I bought pool noodles to slit open, then put pipe insulation over that with glue. These are for putting on the fabricated I beam columns at a covered pavilion at the local park. It is just big enough to crank out some good laps during the week. I live over an hour from any rink now...since the local one shut down. The covered noodles are for installing on the column's flanges in case of collision, to protect me from damage So time to add some hours of skating during the week.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2016, 01:17 PM   #99
whiskey02

Can't imagine a wife, or any SO being upset about someone with a skating obsession. Compared to drinking in bars, abusing drugs, watching sports more hours per week than any of us can skate, etc. There are so many less positive and costly things one could be doing. Wheels are "expensive", but if you buy a Corvette, new tires will set you back $2500, $160 doesn't seem outrageous after all. If someone wants you to deny who you are and not pursue a positive passion, why have them in your life. My wife is a rower, I do everything I can to facilitate her getting out on the water. When we met, she was shocked to learn the cost of high end bikes, but she soon bought another one for me. Support anything positive and you'll both be happier.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #100
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

My wife doesnt talk about bikes and i dont talk about shoes.