S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:51 AM   #1
District31

Default Riedell Skates - Hard Work on Roads

Finally took the plunge and bought some Riedell skates yesterday. Went for a test drive and my lord, the wheels are hard as nails and it's all but impossible to use them on roads or - really - any not entirely flat and smooth surface.

So I need to buy some new wheels, any advice for quite rough surfaces?

Basically, there are so many wheels: how do I choose good ones and ones that don't feel like I'm in a car from the 1920s riding over boulders?

Edit: I've seem some 78a wheels on eBay that look great, but they're sooo expensive. Don't want to splash out without some advice.
District31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I recently decided to convert my older Reidell/Roll-Line skates to be outdoor and did some looking. Most wheels run between $50 and $100 for a set of 8.

Here are a couple of threads to read through to help you decide:

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=34805

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...archid=3734308

By the way, I ended up grabbing a set of 78A Radar Flyer wheels at an average price of $70/set of 8. According to some, a size of 70mm diameter is the sweet spot for where to be in size. My mounting type limits my options, so I chose the Radar wheels at 66mm in diameter.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #3
District31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I recently decided to convert my older Reidell/Roll-Line skates to be outdoor and did some looking. Most wheels run between $50 and $100 for a set of 8.

Here are a couple of threads to read through to help you decide:

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=34805

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...archid=3734308

By the way, I ended up grabbing a set of 78A Radar Flyer wheels at an average price of $70/set of 8. According to some, a size of 70mm diameter is the sweet spot for where to be in size. My mounting type limits my options, so I chose the Radar wheels at 66mm in diameter.
You beauty! Thanks for this! I'll pick some up tomorrow
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by District31 View Post
You beauty! Thanks for this! I'll pick some up tomorrow
Which wheels did you decide on? There were several different types listed in the threads that I posted. Hopefully, you didn't just look at the Flyers and say "that's what I want". There were some really good wheels posted in the two threads.

A lot of folks seem to like the Kryptonics Route wheels. Radar makes a few different outdoor wheels (Flyer, Pure, Energy, Zen).

Some even go the route of using longboard wheels. As I own a couple of longboards, I can see why. I like the Orangatang brand of longboard wheels. However, longboard wheels tend to be a bit wide, so they put them on a lathe and cut the width down.
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #5
District31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Which wheels did you decide on? There were several different types listed in the threads that I posted. Hopefully, you didn't just look at the Flyers and say "that's what I want". There were some really good wheels posted in the two threads.

A lot of folks seem to like the Kryptonics Route wheels. Radar makes a few different outdoor wheels (Flyer, Pure, Energy, Zen).
I'm really tempted with these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1813720339...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like them because they're a 78 and I wanted lots of grip

But Skate Hut has recommended the Kyryptonics, but they don't have colours which will look good on my skates (only white and pink at the moment).

Basically, it's a minefield and I have zero experience, so I guess buying some wheels and checking them out is the way forward...
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #6
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
I'm really tempted with these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1813720339...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like them because they're a 78 and I wanted lots of grip

But Skate Hut has recommended the Kyryptonics, but they don't have colours which will look good on my skates (only white and pink at the moment).

Basically, it's a minefield and I have zero experience, so I guess buying some wheels and checking them out is the way forward...
The Flyers that I purchased are also 78A. The Sure Grip wheels you posted are a nice size at 65mm x 38mm. But that site has them for 51.99 pounds + 19.99 pounds shipping. That's the equivalent of $104USD. In the US, there are sites selling them for $58USD for a set of 8 + maybe $10USD shipping. That's just under 47 pounds, shipped. You may want to shop around a little.

Since you showed an eBay UK site, I assume that you're over in the UK?

Try here: http://skatebritain.net/suregrip-qua...ck-17558-p.asp

$49.99 with VAT and you can get free shipping in the UK.
Old April 27th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #7
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Finally took the plunge and bought some Riedell skates yesterday. Went for a test drive and my lord, the wheels are hard as nails and it's all but impossible to use them on roads or - really - any not entirely flat and smooth surface.

So I need to buy some new wheels, any advice for quite rough surfaces?

Basically, there are so many wheels: how do I choose good ones and ones that don't feel like I'm in a car from the 1920s riding over boulders?

Edit: I've seem some 78a wheels on eBay that look great, but they're sooo expensive. Don't want to splash out without some advice.

I live in Scarborough so skating on the front skating on roads and paths. Don't want to do tricks, but something that you can be arty on would be cool.

It's Tricky as I kinda want to do a bit of everything.

I want the moon on a stick don't I?
I'd ignore the advice for large wheels, they work great if you want to go straight, if you're a beginning skater I would suggest slightly smaller wheels, more control, the route59 wheels are great outdoor wheels slightly smaller,
http://www.skates.com/Kryptonics-rol...-8-p/krw59.htm
They come in various sizes, again, large diameter wheels are for going straight and fast, you seem to be looking more for a wheel that's fun to tool around on.
Another set of bearings would allow you to just switch wheels for either venue, a bearing press is still necessary
http://www.skates.com/Powerdyne-Bear...pdynepress.htm
A chunk of change but everlasting.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 02:56 AM   #8
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I'd ignore the advice for large wheels, they work great if you want to go straight, if you're a beginning skater I would suggest slightly smaller wheels, more control, the route59 wheels are great outdoor wheels slightly smaller,
http://www.skates.com/Kryptonics-rol...-8-p/krw59.htm
They come in various sizes, again, large diameter wheels are for going straight and fast, you seem to be looking more for a wheel that's fun to tool around on.
Another set of bearings would allow you to just switch wheels for either venue, a bearing press is still necessary
http://www.skates.com/Powerdyne-Bear...pdynepress.htm
A chunk of change but everlasting.
If your plate suspension is tuned for freedom of action throughout the full range of potential truck swing before wheel bite, and the plate deck height clearance above the wheel is adequate, then sharp turning with 70mm and larger wheels is not a problem.

I can skate super tight circles down to about 4 foot diameter with all wheels down on the rolling surface outdoors with ease on the 76mm OD wheels of the slates in my avatar PIC, which have a fairly long wheelbase too.

ursle has no problems with doling out bad advice for things about which he has either limited experience, no competence, little understanding, or insufficient skills to resolve the imaginary issues he mythologizes.

Sharp turning is always more related to suspension tuning than anything else, and larger/narrower wheels only become a problem when the suspension is adjusted stiff and chokes up the truck swing with too rapid of a rise in the ramp up of cushion resistance. Larger and narrower wheels reduce the available leverage for working the action. This does not make them a poor choice, it just means the suspension must be tweaked to reduce the level of peak cushion resistance and to slow the rate at which it ramps up.

-Armadillo
Old April 27th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
ursle has no problems with doling out bad advice for things about which he has either limited experience, no competence, little understanding, or insufficient skills to resolve the imaginary issues he mythologizes.
Snap
I again would advise the op to ignore the trash talk and advice unless of course he's a delusional, short, fat old man that can't articulate his ankles and trolls around on skate log.
Inlines are great for speed, quads are great for fun, anyone posing on quads pretending they have the accomplishments of an inline speed skater, is simply trolling.
Bad advice, right, show us your two broken shoulders due to ineptitude, and a broken wrist, again due to ineptitude, and hopefully no others have broken bones following delusional advice.
Anyway, hopefully the op will sort out the bs and delusional ranting from reality.
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #10
District31

Quote:
Snap
I again would advise the op to ignore the trash talk and advice unless of course he's a delusional, short, fat old man that can't articulate his ankles and trolls around on skate log.

Anyway, hopefully the op will sort out the bs and delusional ranting from reality.
I've tried to order those Sure-Grip from 3 places now and they've all been out of stock, so I think the powers that be are telling me something.

I know there are plenty of great wheels out there, but even with the 9 page thread on the issue, it's hard to sort out a consensus on which wheels are best.
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:36 PM   #11
ursle
Street Skater

I have a set of radar flat outs, the hubs are soft plastic the urethane is terrible, they are terrible wheels, I would skip over sure grip outdoor wheels generally, but the kryptonics are good wheels with good urethane, personally, my favorite are the roll-line heliums, a 64mm high wheel with and excellent hub and outstanding urethane, it's 82a but has a thin layer of urethane, making it seem softer?, and again, the 59mm kryptonic route59 is a very nice wheel, and they come 62mm, and larger.
Old May 8th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #12
Armadillo

Quote:
Snap
Inlines are great for speed, quads are great for fun, anyone posing on quads pretending they have the accomplishments of an inline speed skater, is simply trolling.
Bad advice, right, show us your two broken shoulders due to ineptitude, and a broken wrist, again due to ineptitude, and hopefully no others have broken bones following delusional advice.
Character assassination is the sign of nothing else available to back up your bogus assertions, which looking at them would inform most people who the real troll is here.

I have EVIDENCE for my assertions that Helium wheels are a poor outdoor wheel choice - 16 wheels with higher mileage ones ALL showing progressive premature degradation from excessive cuts and progressive debonding.
Since so much hot air is pouring out of ursle's oversize mouth lately, I am forced to document these wheels with fresh PICs, which when soon posted will put a plug in it said mouth and stop the flow of spew.

People, just search all posts by ursle and notice there is NEVER a PIC or two to back up what is asserted. Then look at my posts from the past. SLF is about sharing accurate and useful info, not trash talk. We can spot the real troll here if we look.

-Armadillo