S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 15th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #41
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer.Berry View Post
Elite Men's and Women's Results:
http://live.mtecresults.com/race/lea...Marathon-Elite

Cool to see several SkateLogForum men and women right up there with some of the world's best skaters!
With out knowing real names and or ages I can't find them.
So guys are you going to fill us in? Might just have to put Northshore on my bucket list.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #42
Alyosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73skater View Post
I was unable to attend this year, but looked at the results. It appears the times were notably slower this year. Head wind? Road conditions? I'd like to hear a few recaps about how the race went. I missed it very much this year. Congrats to everyone who notched another NSIM in their racing resume.
I didn't skate this year due to some recent injuries but I was here taking pictures. There was a stiff head wind the whole race. I was standing at "lemon drp hill" and everyone that came by looked absolutely dead. Considering the wind, these times actually pretty impressive.
Old September 15th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #43
kufman

oooops, wrong thread.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #44
sxevegan

I don't think it was necessarily that the wind was strong enough to make the times that slow, but it made it pretty easy to sit in and draft, but hard to lead and hard to break away solo.

It made the race more defensive rather than offensive. Nobody (including me) wanted to be on the front chasing while everyone else leisurely sits in. We would be cranking close to 30 one minute, and barely doing 2 or 3 mph the next minute because nobody wanted to work.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #45
SmileySk8s

Default beat

as someone who got dropped early on (by mile 3) by the B1 group and was ready to stop by mile 6, this was a really hard race for me. I ended up skating solo the rest of the race. I was so tired every line that came by inthe waves behind me, I caught up but even with a draft was so spent I just couldn't hang on and had to drop off. I was seeing black spots. My heartrate was just too high telling me to slow down. And on the rough pavement, I just couldn't muster the energy anymore. Disheartening seeing B2, then C, then 1, 2 and 3 waves passing me. I was one of those skaters that couldn't quite get up lemon drop hill and hit a standstill 3/4 way up. I was so happy to finally finish the race at 2:26.

Last edited by SmileySk8s; September 15th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #46
bjvircks
Major Trouble

My take on the wind.... relentless. If you had poor drafting skills you were roadkill. I also found the wind dried me out more quickly than usual and I (like many others, I hear) suffered sporatic cramping. I know I need more hydration than most... but by the time I noticed the wind effect on me it was too late. A major calf cramp at mile 20 made me drop from the B1 lead pack (which I had been with since shortly after the start) and cost me a little over 3 minutes.

My perspective on how to gage your performance in this race??? Compare your rankings in this year's rankings for overall, sex, div with prior year's rankings to see if you moved up.

Major Kudos to all who endured this race!
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #47
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

This was a horrible race for me this year. Less training than I had wanted, along with the wind, and getting food poisoning on the trip up.. it all worked to a miserable race. I cramped in my back at mile 10, and went down from there, lol. The best part of the race for me, was our chase group finishing together at the finish. I was 20min off my time from last year. . Ouch.

On another note, why do we think that the numbers are down by 800 this year? There were only 13xx skaters, 21xx last year.. why?
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #48
Alyosha

Here's my album from the race.

I had hoped to get some dramatic pictures of people muscling up Lemon Drop Hill - instead I got people looking exhausted and a little awkward. I should have known better .

I hope you enjoy it and, as always, feel free to re-use the pictures as you see fit.
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #49
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
Here's my album from the race.

I had hoped to get some dramatic pictures of people muscling up Lemon Drop Hill - instead I got people looking exhausted and a little awkward. I should have known better .

I hope you enjoy it and, as always, feel free to re-use the pictures as you see fit.
Cool pics! Anybody know who the GR Speed guys with 5-wheels is?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...o/IMG_7800.JPG
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #50
ice princess

Just saw the beard and the legs - too impressive Maybe he's faster 'cuz he has more wheels Or maybe he is really strong and equipment is nuts...

Like to see the videos of your pain, please upload ASAP
ice princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #51
JandKLarson

Thanks for sharing your pictures! Pictures #23, #24 and #25 are of our young teammate, Daniel Brown, who ended up in 2nd place in the Pro Elite Men's division at the ripe old age of 15. I forwarded these pictures on to his Mom, who will appreciate seeing pics of her son in action. His Mom said that Daniel said he'd gone a break away by himself with about 6 miles to go, which it appears is when you got these great shots, and then Jarrett Paul caught him several miles later. Daniel won the Advanced marathon last year and made the Jr. World Team this year.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #52
Alyosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Thanks for sharing your pictures! Pictures #23, #24 and #25 are of our young teammate, Daniel Brown, who ended up in 2nd place in the Pro Elite Men's division at the ripe old age of 15. I forwarded these pictures on to his Mom, who will appreciate seeing pics of her son in action. His Mom said that Daniel said he'd gone a break away by himself with about 6 miles to go, which it appears is when you got these great shots, and then Jarrett Paul caught him several miles later. Daniel won the Advanced marathon last year and made the Jr. World Team this year.
Yeah, his breakaway was still pretty fresh at that point. He kept checking his back as he went by and every time he turned around and saw the pack wasn't pushing to catch him you could see him push even harder. He looked very impressive.
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #53
geogil

I raced in wave 1, I can't speak for the other waves and this was my first time doing the NSIM. There was a 15-20mph headwind pretty much the entire course except the final 200meters by the DECC. I had a blast. Because of the headwind I didn't get the time I wanted, but I did hop in with 5 other guys and had a great time with a very good paceline. Very well run race, although following the recommendation to get on the bus at 0700 meant sitting around in the cold for several hours. The only thing I wished had gone better personally was that my back hadn't hurt so much. It looks like I need to work my core out more this winter.
geogil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #54
gopherfan

This local Philadelphia ABC TV news segment on Daniel Brown mentions his 2nd place finish at Duluth.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #55
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
This local Philadelphia ABC TV news segment on Daniel Brown mentions his 2nd place finish at Duluth.
Congrats on your 4th place finish gopherfan! And good luck next week at the 100k!!
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #56
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

First off, this race is always incredibly well run. I missed last year, and signed up for Wave A2 because a lot of the guys I skated with in Chicago on my "level" finished last year placing in A2 for this year. I expected wind at the start, but I didn't expect the wind that hit us after crossing the start line. We came out reasonably fast, around 18 to 20 mph. The first mile clocked in around 3:11 minutes. We slowed down considerably after that, for the same reasons Sxevegan noted. We sorted out off the bat, and a team mate and I moved up to beat the gap growing at the front toward the end of the first mile. We rotated the first 5 or 10 guys through pulls for most of the race. It was hard work but most of the skaters in the pack didn't want to deal with the wind. After pulling a couple of times, I dropped back farther in the line for a bit of a rest. I thought I dropped a good way back, far enough that I wouldn't have to pull again. Shockingly, that didn't happen. A few miles later, I ended up pulling. I feel like I did my share in the race, but it was a defensive race, as no one really wanted to pull away. 10 miles or so in, we caught the first stragglers from wave A1. At the half, we were at 47 minutes, which was a lot slower than I expected. The wind really was a factor. The guys up front were working really hard. At best, we could only manage a 16 mph average for the race. I started cramping just after the halfway point in my left calf. The problem then hit my left upper leg, and eventually started in my right calf also. My last pull was going into the subdivision before Lemon Drop hill. My left leg locked up and I was lucky to get back in line. I pushed through it, managed to stay with the lead group in Wave A2 up the hill and onto I35, but only just barely. On the highway, the grooves didn't seem to bother me too much, so I just made sure to stick with the lead group. I worked my way up into the top 10 or so people in the line because I knew I was going to cramp on the 5th Ave ramp. We go there, and sure enough, my legs locked up and I basically walked up the hill. The group behind me must have separated on I35 because I ended up somewhere in no-man's land after the lead group in the wave. They all finished around 1:36:30, and I came in about 20-30 seconds later.

Thankfully, there wasn't too much craziness in the pace line. There was one time when a woman behind me pushed my hands to the left hard, turning my upper body. I almost ate it. Then, later, an older taller guy was pushing down on my water bottle instead of forward. Thankfully, I could manage that, but it still wasn't appropriate. I don't care how hard I get pushed so long as it is forward, not to the side or down.

The road was rough, but that shouldn't have been enough to slow the pace. The wind really was the determining factor. I finished in 1:37:00, which was a far cry from where I wanted/expected to finish. However, 4th in the 30-34 age group, and 43rd over all, I won't complain at the results because we all suffered through the wind.

GeogIL and I both jumped the same bus to the start. I think we were the second bus to get to the start for the full marathon. I agree that it was probably too early. Lesson learned for next year. I hope I was at least manageable company for him before the start. We found a couple of other people from Rochester, MN, at the race, so I am hoping we can track them down and get them to train with us since we all skate the same road, apparently. For the moment, there are 5 of us, and we usually have at least 2 or 3 on a trip, so if anyone ever finds themselves spending time in Rochester, MN, feel free to let me know, as you are welcome to join us for a weekend skate.

Final note, great race over all. If you have missed this one in the past, it is worth saving up the season for simply because of the number of skaters that attend. There is nothing like skating with 1000 other people.
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #57
asteele.19

Kufman, the 5x90 guy is tom cole. Hes a long track guy.

This was my first time doing the NSIM and my first outdoor marathon. It was BLAST! The most fun I have ever had on 8 wheels. The wind sucked and killed the times and almost made the racing aspect of the marathon boring at times(there were only a handful of attacks and no breakaways at all until the end).

I skated the A1 wave and placed first in that wave. I also placed first in my age division(18-24) and fifth overall among all the men. I will be back again next year and many years after that.

I skated the marathon on Bont Mayhem 110m 87a. Loved the wheel. Lots of grip and vibration absorption, but the roll was a little lacking. The G13s and even the atom matrix seemed to be rolling away from me. Don't know how they compared to the Roadwar Turbos because no one around me was on them. Thats my only gripe about the wheel.
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #58
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Cool pics! Anybody know who the GR Speed guys with 5-wheels is?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...o/IMG_7800.JPG
Tom Cole.
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #59
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
On another note, why do we think that the numbers are down by 800 this year? There were only 13xx skaters, 21xx last year.. why?
I posted this on Steve's FB thread about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumerick View Post
I tried posting this on my drive home a few times yesterday and it never stuck. I suspected those numbers are people that finished the race and NSIM has since replied on the Inline Planet thread where this graph was taken from. This year there were a significant number of DNF's or people that couldn't finish the race in the allowed time. Here's the numbers from the horses mouth:

"We did have 1400 registered from the full, 310 in the half, 45 rollerski, 115 half marathon run, 26 combined, and 186 10k runners plus 60-70 friday EXPO registrations. "
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #60
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Great pics Alyosha- I love the pain on our faces