S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Default Chattanooga, TN Riverfront / Riverpark Trail

The Riverfront trail in Chattanooga is long and scenic...

This site is a little goofy, but it has the best photos I could find of the trail.
http://www.nostalgiaville.com/travel...riverpark1.htm

I have not skated it, but I want to. I think that member AdamB has skated it...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:27 PM   #2
AdamB

Thanks Bill! Very cool of you to post up Chattanooga’s River Walk. Hopefully I can provide a little more info for anyone interested, incase they ever drop through our little town.

The Chattanooga River Walk offers a great experience for families and individuals looking to spend a little time outdoors. It begins at the Chickamauga Dam (or Downtown Chattanooga…. depending on where you start) and runs approx. 9 miles to downtown Chattanooga. Some of the things you will get to encounter along the way:

- The Chickamauga Dam of course. Very neat site if they have the spillways completely open.
- Several open parks setting with kids play equipment, open green areas, benches, grills, picnic tables, water fountains, and clean rest rooms.
- Marsh areas that at times include several hundred geese (don’t look up!)
- Various wildlife areas
- Some industries and railroad tracks
- Raised decking over marsh areas lined by bamboo on one side and the river on the other side
- The Boathouse restaurant. Nice offering on the menu and a large outdoor deck overlooking the river. Great place for a beer as well. The parking lot connects directly to the trail.
- UTC skull crew/boat house
- All the nice features of downtown (Museum, aquariums, art district)…..oh, and the crazy zigzag walkway (that’s fun to skate!)
- Last, but not least…. The Walnut Street Bridge (worlds longest pedestrian only bridge). This is not actually part of the trail, and has a fair amount of wood decking, but is still a must.

Surfaces: Primarily paved. Some sections are wood plank, including the raised decking. The total area not paved is approx. 50 yards total. The trail runs through some industry areas and you will cross 1-2 sets of railroad tracks. It is primarily up hill going from the dam to downtown, but only really noticeable once you get closer to the downtown area.

As mentioned, the trail is safe and great for families. The Chattanooga police department keeps officers on mountain bikes patrolling on a regular basis. They are always friendly and ready to say hi.

The trail allows walking, bicycling, and skating.

**** I will take some pictures over the next few weeks. Granted, they will be cold and wintry looking….but I will take more in the summer.
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Cool stuff. Thanks, Adam.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote