S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 7th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #21
rwbskates
Gettin Faster, Slowly

I am VERY VERY happy to be competing again after a 20+ year absence from the sport I love. Placed 3rd master men quads and 1st soph & up 2man quad relay. I am also very disappointed in the way our 1st league meet played out. I am not attacking anyone specifically here but there are some things that NEED to be addressed immediately. First off quads are the root of our sport if you eliminate them you will lose a large portion of our competitors. Inlines are why I quit years ago, we had to race against them, HA!! no contest, quads got smoked. Quads and inlines are separated which is good, I look at it like car racing, inlines are like Indy cars and quads are like stock cars. Both are fast in their own right, both are similar, but not competitive against each other. Different style different technique same result, going fast, passing and race strategy to name a few.

I only competed in quads at the meet due to equipment issues not by choice. I wish more inline skaters would skate quads too, I'm pretty sure that's where most skaters got started, but I could be wrong. Inlines are the superior equipment for outright speed, better traction and lighter weight compared to quads. Quads are also more popular as far as general public and roller rinks go (IMO) This is where we will pull people from to get into speed skating, expose them to it anyway.

As far as the actual meet goes there were many negative things that should not have happened. A quote from the 2008 Great lakes speed league meeting minutes "The host rink for each meet should have floor coated 1 month prior to the meet. We discussed that this is not always possible, everyone in attendance agreed to do their best and make sure coating is applied as close to meet date as possible."
(over heard at the meet) the floor was not coated since last meet. Danville wanted the 1st meet of the season and knew what was requested of them, why did they not comply with the proposed request to hold a meet. I have skated on streets that were smoother than that. Skaters showed up to compete on a floor that has some expected properties, smoothness and grip, neither was present. Skaters were struggling all day with grip or lack of it.

MY opinion. The length(time) of the meet ran over because of slower lap times due to floor and additional skaters signing up at the meet, which is fine, the more the merrier. Eliminating races to make sure you can open for a matinee session is unacceptable, a lot people drove hundreds of miles to compete in their full event and were denied the opportunity to do so. I have been to skating meets in just about every aspect of skating, indoor/outdoor speed and artistic and have NEVER been ran out because of a public session. We have hosted many meets in the past years and never tried to cram everything into a time slot, it ends when it ends. When the last skater is presented his/her awards standing on the podium. Curious to know what would have happened if (hope it doesn't happen) someone was injured to the point of having to call paramedics, or problems with building IE. sound system or lights.
What would you do now?? End the meet?? I think it was due to poor planning, bottom line.

This is another concern, I was REALLY disappointed to see medals essentially tossed out to skaters. It looked like a feeding frenzy at a shark tank.
Adults could probably careless about an awards presentation, but I think the kids really enjoy that part the most. "Hey!! look at mesee what I won!! this is my moment of glory, take a picture so I can remember this moment forever." Not at this meet though maybe next time.

If I were a new skater and this was my first meet, I would reconsider if I wanted to deal with this, you know they would think "is this is the normal proceedure for a speed meet"? We all know better, but this was a poor example of how an event should be ran.

Over all it was a very good time. I got to see some people I haven't seen in years. The officials did an exellent job and I could understand the announcements not charlie browns teacher WAAA WA WA WAAAA

Just giving my opinion $.02
rwbskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #22
Jim White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofSk8er View Post
Do you think we'll get a refund???? Ha, not likely.
For the 1/3 of the $12 entry fee (because 2/3 of the inline races were held)? If you want that money back, send me your postal address in a PM, or ask me at the next meet.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #23
biggyshorty
WadeYost

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbskates View Post
I am VERY VERY happy to be competing again after a 20+ year absence from the sport I love. Placed 3rd master men quads and 1st soph & up 2man quad relay. I am also very disappointed in the way our 1st league meet played out. I am not attacking anyone specifically here but there are some things that NEED to be addressed immediately. First off quads are the root of our sport if you eliminate them you will lose a large portion of our competitors. Inlines are why I quit years ago, we had to race against them, HA!! no contest, quads got smoked. Quads and inlines are separated which is good, I look at it like car racing, inlines are like Indy cars and quads are like stock cars. Both are fast in their own right, both are similar, but not competitive against each other. Different style different technique same result, going fast, passing and race strategy to name a few.

I only competed in quads at the meet due to equipment issues not by choice. I wish more inline skaters would skate quads too, I'm pretty sure that's where most skaters got started, but I could be wrong. Inlines are the superior equipment for outright speed, better traction and lighter weight compared to quads. Quads are also more popular as far as general public and roller rinks go (IMO) This is where we will pull people from to get into speed skating, expose them to it anyway.

As far as the actual meet goes there were many negative things that should not have happened. A quote from the 2008 Great lakes speed league meeting minutes "The host rink for each meet should have floor coated 1 month prior to the meet. We discussed that this is not always possible, everyone in attendance agreed to do their best and make sure coating is applied as close to meet date as possible."
(over heard at the meet) the floor was not coated since last meet. Danville wanted the 1st meet of the season and knew what was requested of them, why did they not comply with the proposed request to hold a meet. I have skated on streets that were smoother than that. Skaters showed up to compete on a floor that has some expected properties, smoothness and grip, neither was present. Skaters were struggling all day with grip or lack of it.

MY opinion. The length(time) of the meet ran over because of slower lap times due to floor and additional skaters signing up at the meet, which is fine, the more the merrier. Eliminating races to make sure you can open for a matinee session is unacceptable, a lot people drove hundreds of miles to compete in their full event and were denied the opportunity to do so. I have been to skating meets in just about every aspect of skating, indoor/outdoor speed and artistic and have NEVER been ran out because of a public session. We have hosted many meets in the past years and never tried to cram everything into a time slot, it ends when it ends. When the last skater is presented his/her awards standing on the podium. Curious to know what would have happened if (hope it doesn't happen) someone was injured to the point of having to call paramedics, or problems with building IE. sound system or lights.
What would you do now?? End the meet?? I think it was due to poor planning, bottom line.

This is another concern, I was REALLY disappointed to see medals essentially tossed out to skaters. It looked like a feeding frenzy at a shark tank.
Adults could probably careless about an awards presentation, but I think the kids really enjoy that part the most. "Hey!! look at mesee what I won!! this is my moment of glory, take a picture so I can remember this moment forever." Not at this meet though maybe next time.

If I were a new skater and this was my first meet, I would reconsider if I wanted to deal with this, you know they would think "is this is the normal proceedure for a speed meet"? We all know better, but this was a poor example of how an event should be ran.

Over all it was a very good time. I got to see some people I haven't seen in years. The officials did an exellent job and I could understand the announcements not charlie browns teacher WAAA WA WA WAAAA

Wow Tim your long winded, we needed some of that wind on our relay. LOL jus kidn. I'm pretty sure we came in 2nd in the relay. As far as the floor...Yes it was bad, but it was bad for everyone. As far as the everything else, it was what it was. Dont sweat the small stuff, look at the big picture we were competing!! It was a league meet, not an invitational, or a reagional. But you cant please everyone all of the time. Indy will be better. Tim that was not directed at just you, just everyone whose whining out loud.LOL. See you at Indy. Wade
biggyshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #24
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

This is kind of why all these meets dried up back in the old days, right? People worked really hard to put on a meet, and all they got was whining and complaining, so they decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #25
Aaron Hoover
The Mover

I believe the meet in Indy is an inline only meet. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Wades right, it was bad for everyone. We all were facing the same adversity. Remember real champions figure out a way to overcome these things. Instead of complaining, why not go home and work on improving your technique (this is not directed at anyone in particular, in fact, I'm taking my own advise because I feel the same as the rest of you) in order to be better prepared for these conditions next time. If time is an issue, perhaps we should look at dropping one of the distances as Doug had mentioned. We shouldn't be cutting out the awards ceremony. The relays to me seemed to be the biggest time delay. But all of this needs to be discussed with Lisa, not here!

On another note. I was glad to see new teams forming, existing teams growing, and returning skaters who are improving. Keep up the GREAT job and lets continue to grow our sport. Oh and by the way, we're not coating our floor either. LOL

Aaron
Aaron Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #26
Jim White

Old October 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #27
DadofSk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbskates View Post

Big thumbs up!!!!

I wasn't whining, I was complaining. It was a horribly run meet. I was this close to pulling my son, getting my money back and leaving. I completely forgot about the metal "ceremony". Last year we used to wait for the award ceremony but then we found out the metals don't mean anything because they just give away the extra ones to whom ever wants them afterwards. It doesn't make them very special when anyone can get one.

I'm hoping that the people in power see people are not happy and that the meets in Indy and Aurora are better.
DadofSk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #28
Jim White

To answer questions that have been asked various places, the Nov. 2 Indianapolis meet will have both quads and inline races. The League has use of the floor "all day" so there should be enough time for everything. Word is that the floor was coated last month.
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #29
rwbskates
Gettin Faster, Slowly

Hey Wade, I'm working on the wind thing, only been back at it for a month now, speed and endurance will come with time, patience grasshopper LOL!!! Dunno about our placement though, I was told we won cause of a DQ. Maybe not, I didn't see any score sheets and no one called my name and handed me a medal. Let me know if ya wanna do more relays, I though we paired up pretty well.

My concerns are directed more towards recruiting more skaters. I know what is involved in hosting meets, its not easy, not at all. Like I said before I enjoyed the meet but there were some issues that shouldn't have taken place.
We all have to do what ever we can to keep it growing. In the 80's there were alot of heat races in most divisions, you actually had to try. Now with some divisions having only a few skaters you buy your medals. IMO every meet should be ran as if it were a regional or national meet. The same level of dedication and proper planning to assure that it will go as smooth as possible (Sometimes thing don't work out the way they are planned). Imagine showing up at nationals and having to scramble to find wheels to compensate for floor conditions.
The rules were written for a reason, not to add a financial burden to a rink operator (cost of coating the floor) but to make the competition as good as it can be.

Anyway I'm happy to be back in the mix and look forward to the next meet.
rwbskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #30
Jim White

In response to the general idea of league meets being run like Nationals, some league meets are intentionally not run the same. Sometimes leagues wait a little while for skaters who aren't on the line on time, and allow relay teams to be formed at the last minute. Sometimes DQ's are unusual, at such meets a coach or skater is told how their behavior would result in a DQ at Nationals, so it's a learning experience for the skater/coach, rather than being demotivational. Regionals and Nationals are to determine who is best; some league meets are primarily intended to be educational.

Yes, there were things that happened at this particular meet that no-one was happy about; I'm talking about general goals.

The Great Lakes League is very much run by League coaches. There will be a planning meeting just before the next meet. If anyone who is a member of a League Team has any suggestions, tell your coach. He/she will consider them, with the opinions of others on your team, then put those which the team supports on the table for discussion with other coaches. If anyone is interested in even more involvement, notify your coach, of a League official, and you can become part of the group making things better.
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #31
skatetim1234
Skateworld Cobras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Hoover View Post

Wades right, it was bad for everyone. We all were facing the same adversity. Remember real champions figure out a way to overcome these things. Instead of complaining, why not go home and work on improving your technique (this is not directed at anyone in particular, in fact, I'm taking my own advise because I feel the same as the rest of you) in order to be better prepared for these conditions next time. If time is an issue, perhaps we should look at dropping one of the distances as Doug had mentioned. We shouldn't be cutting out the awards ceremony. The relays to me seemed to be the biggest time delay. But all of this needs to be discussed with Lisa, not here!

On another note. I was glad to see new teams forming, existing teams growing, and returning skaters who are improving. Keep up the GREAT job and lets continue to grow our sport. Oh and by the way, we're not coating our floor either. LOL

Aaron

ARRRRRGGGG

Just kidding
skatetim1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #32
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Like my signature says
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #33
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim White View Post
It was a great post, Jim. Sad to see it go.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #34
kufman

I will skate on just about anything... I just need to know in advance what to bring or buy so that I can skate on the given floor conditions. I still have a setup with 5x84mm SGBs that will stick to just about anything (they just don't roll worth a darn). I just wish I had known that my old torn up practice wheels were going to work 10 times better than my good meet wheels that have only been used at one meet. I also wish durameters were not so expensive, I have a feeling that my good oranges are much different than my practice oranges.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #35
batterin' gram

Where I live there are no indoor speed teams, no indoor speed meets, and nothing for quads except roller derby (which I love). I plan to travel a long, long way to come to some of your meets after the first of the year, and I am looking forward to racing on quads at a meet other than nationals. Other than derby, I train alone, and have only been to 2 practices with my team in 5 years - because the team was 1000 miles away.

You all have it good - you have meets that offer both quad and in-line racing. Maybe the meet could have been run better - I wasn't there so I can't say - but at least you had a meet to go to and race in. That's more than I get. Be thankful for what you have.

Congratulations to everyone who raced at the Danville meet. I wish I could have been there.
batterin' gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #36
DadofSk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Hoover View Post

Aaron

Thanks for the heads-up about not coating your floor, Aaron. You just saved me a lot of money. We'll be skipping that meet!
DadofSk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #37
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofSk8er View Post
Thanks for the heads-up about not coating your floor, Aaron. You just saved me a lot of money. We'll be skipping that meet!
Wow! My skaters don't skate unless conditions are perfect
Way to support the league!
Old October 16th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #38
Aaron Hoover
The Mover

DadofSk8r,
This will be the fourth consecutive year in which we have hosted a meet and I assure you that our floor coated or not will be tight. Our meet has always been held early spring and we have never had an issue with our floor not gripping. Don't let the condition of the Danville rinks floor influence your decision on attending our meet. We always have a fast floor and a well contested meet.
Aaron
Old October 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #39
kufgirl

If you skip the Indy meet you are missing out on the fun of a Team Rollerdome meet. Their floor has always been in good condition.

Aaron are you bringing the light up podium down from the dome?
kufgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #40
Aaron Hoover
The Mover

Elizabeth,
That sweet podium actually belongs to Chris Keesler and the Bell's Speed Team. I'm sure Chris would bring it if he has room.

Aaron