S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old January 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
flemo004

Default Australian Indoor Banked Track Video

I know this is only a quick 30sec glimpse, but this is the Campbelltown track mentioned in a previous thread.
I think it may have been a 10000m points race we were in at the time, and for the keen eyes out there you might notice Stephen Whyte in the middle ringing the bell and Brett Smith turning the lap counter.
The link is http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpCUSAH6jY

Last edited by flemo004; January 4th, 2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: More info
flemo004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #2
AussieScott

Default Ahh Campbelltown

I wish this video was longer I'd like to see the sprint.
I was there for the final session and what a great night it was.
Loved it cause in the corners quads can pretty much keep the inliners down the straights its a little harder though.
If only we could have a full size rink in Sydney again. Oh well that will probably never happen with the way real estate prices are here.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #3
flemo004

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieScott View Post
I was there for the final session and what a great night it was.
I was there for the last night also. It was cool, seeing all the faces that came out of the woodwork for it, and it wouldn't have been Campbelltown without the fight at the end of the night.
It had changed though, from a couple of blokes punching to an idiot stating he was going home to get his cousins and a gun!! I don't think the guys who started the trouble were even in the rink though.
I will see what I can do for you, I have a full day of racing from Campbelltown where we went up to Macarthur Square and raced the road events after.
Did you skate Campbelltown much?? As I have mentioned previously, I had the opportunity to live there when Gary and Sue owned the rink, so all I had to do was roll out of bed and I was at work each day, and whenever I wanted I could throw my skates on and get into it.
Ahhh, the memories.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #4
flemo004

Default More Banked Track Videos

I have thrown another video on youtube showing a couple of sprint races held at the Campbelltown Banked Track (RIP), only a couple of minutes worth but there is a bit more than the previous glimpse.
Other videos I have on youtube are Stephen Whyte winning the 500m world title in Hasting, New Zealand back in 1989 and Neil Spooner placing 2nd in the 5000m at the same worlds with Tony Hanley picking 3rd.
I am going to be getting hold of some more old videos that I can link to youtube, so if there is enough interest in these videos I will let you all know when the new ones are loaded.
3 Man Sprint at Campbelltown
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #5
AussieScott

Default Excellent stuff.

What a shame Australia has lost its interest in Quads lets hope it comes back soon.
Cheers for the extra videos.
Myself I was a Carlingford Big Roller skater until it shut in January 1988. Did a little at Mt Druit, Taren Point, Kingsgrove and some at Campbelltown. Then in 1992 when Skate 2000 opened in Castle Hill that became my local.
Guys I mainly skated with who raced were. Gary Shepherdson, Steve Vumbucca(MEX), Craig Stacey, Scott Ball, Sean Backers, Adam Evans. Plenty more but the brain is strained for names at the moment.
Me I was just a local speed freak did the occasional training session and the occasional club race meet but that was about it. Spent my time playing with my Mazda RX4 to much.
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Aussie Matt

Great Vid Flemo like Scottie said shame its not that longer the sprint would have been good to see.
Aussie Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #7
flemo004

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieScott View Post
What a shame Australia has lost its interest in Quads lets hope it comes back soon.
Cheers for the extra videos.
Myself I was a Carlingford Big Roller skater until it shut in January 1988. Did a little at Mt Druit, Taren Point, Kingsgrove and some at Campbelltown. Then in 1992 when Skate 2000 opened in Castle Hill that became my local.
Guys I mainly skated with who raced were. Gary Shepherdson, Steve Vumbucca(MEX), Craig Stacey, Scott Ball, Sean Backers.
I also skated Kingsgrove, Mt Druitt, Campbelltown (Both the one in Queesn St - the bank track - and the one on Badgally Road), A little at Castle Hill, Thirroul, Dapto, Shoalhaven, Oak Flats and of course the Mighty Taren Point!!
As for Mex, Shepo, Scotty Knackers, Sean and Graig, I raced with all of these guys - you might have seen Mex in the first of the 2 sprints I loaded up.
It sounds like there is still a lot of interest in quad skating, but not too much interest on behalf of the federation - Skate Australia. I am heading to Brisneyland today to chat with the NSW speed chairman, as the speed committee will be holding meetings there just before the National Champs start, and he has already said he is going to try and get some quad events on the racing calendar, all he needs is some commitment from skaters that they are serious and will get back into it.
Spread the word, get the old guys involved again!!
I will keep you updated with the progress, and keep an eye on the youtube videos, I will keep getting new ones on there.
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #8
AussieScott

Default Racing Quads again.

Hi Flemo,
well mate I'd be happy to help out a little and do some club level racing but that for me would be it. 34 and self employed doesn't give me the freedom I had as a teenager. Oh and add to that if I injure myself my income will fall to ZERO.
Sydney's only rink out at Emu Plains is small and really not suited for serious speed training. Its better than nothing of course and the owners are great people but as for bringing quad racing back we really need a decent sized venue.
Keep us informed about the meeting up in Bris Vages there are plenty of us out at Emu Plains in our 30's who would either race or help out in other ways.
All the best,
Scott.
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #9
flemo004

Cheers man, I think the main thing they are after is numbers, so then they can take this to Skate Australia and give them a rev up.
Not too sure if there would be much in the way of indoor races, but there could certainly be some road races put on.
Nothing wrong with being a 30 something, we are Generation X and we will never get old!! HAHA!
I have to say though, after seeing the training of the different states at the Nationals, it sure is going to take some building up for the sport to ever become something again.
I was told quite a lot of information while I was there, some reasons as to why the sport has died in Australia, and some reasons why the international community seem to have also crushed quad roller skating.
Not sure why they have done it, but they have. So maybe now it could be time for quad skaters to band together and break away from FIR's, the world governing body, and start up a rebel federation.**ANARCHY** HAHA!
Seriously though, with the numbers from the US, and the fact they are still running a quad series, I wonder if this could be done??
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #10
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

Don't feel bad guys, our own national office over here has been throwing us under the bus for several decades now.

You just can't help but love a governing board that elects itself, keeps it's financial records a secret from the general membership and spends more time and energy on room and airline upgrades then they do promoting the sport.
BackofthePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #11
Karl

Default Campbelltown banked track video

*sigh*............I can watch that video over and over. I sure miss that track and those days. Thanks for the vid!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote