S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old October 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #21
quadbob

Cool 1982

mr shelby is correct about the threads, and in my hubble oppinion the original lasers and the laser nycon were much better then the hard nose version! wich was just an attempt at dummy proofing the plates from stupid or abusive skaters stripping the nylon threads.
the only real thing i have to offer is i'm almost 100% shure that the lasers in 1982 did not have nylon trucks. i'm 99% shure they came with aluminium chicago trucks and those cheesy black cushions! i'm not shure of the year they changed to the over size cushions and the nylon trucks! but i skated against a host of skaters that used lasers and the laser nycon like robb dunn and chuck jackson, and they all had aluminium trucks! i think the hard nose was the first one to come with nylon trucks! but i could be wrong! maybe it acually was the nycon that did. and they just changed them!
but i'm almost positive that the original did not have nylon or plastic trucks!
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #22
lharasim
Skate to get High

quote: I don't feel that adding either clip washers or some big ass mushy star washer to a plate or kingpin assembly that wasn't designed with them is going to add to the sense of purity & precision that I aim for at Red Rocket Custom Skates.

dude this has nothing to do with precision or purity...its about keeping the kingpin locked down thats all i am sayin....if you or anyone else wants to ruin there lasers by all means man have at it...

BTW Tracy in homewood IL (skate shop for 35 years) knew and knows the people who owned laser skate co. very well ...she has several pictures of there facility (outdoor oval track for testing) and all kinds of interesting stuff... how about clear Plexiglas lasers!! she insisted that that 'mushy star' washer is necessary in locking down and keep the kingpin from loosening ....Im just sayin
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #23
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharasim View Post
FYI

If anyone remembers correctly (maybe suregrip forgot) there is suppose to be a "star" washer under the nut ...that's what keeps it from loosening
My original Lasers did not have a star washer under the nut.....never had an issue of the trucks coming loose either.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #24
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanJet8 View Post
My original Lasers did not have a star washer under the nut.....never had an issue of the trucks coming loose either.
me too... same one hole design as the ones pictures in this thread
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #25
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Talking Well I Have A Clear Pair Of Probes...

With about 500 hairline cracks around the kingpin bosses!

They may look cool on the shelf, but I wouldn't skate them on a dare!

I feel that ADDING stuff to skates without a defect is just a waste of time & energy. I've owned 4 sets of One Hole Lasers & never had a kingpin strip or jamnut back out, but then I really tightened the jamnuts & checked them periodically.

I've also owned Satellites & numerous pairs of Black Diamond plates, I want to say that it was the Satellites that come with a "Star" washer in the kingpin assembly, I could be wrong.

If David puts some non original "Clip & Star" washers in HIS skates will you guys let it go? All I wanted to do is give my customer the same sage advice that Laser did when these 82's were built.

I knew Curt Cobain, but wasn't in Nirvana...

Derrick......

Last edited by MR SHELBY; November 5th, 2010 at 05:15 AM.
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #26
FarmTruk
rusty bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR SHELBY View Post
...All I wanted to do is give my customer the same sage advice that Laser did when these 82's were built...
And you have every right to.

My apologies, Mr. Shelby. When I first posted about this, it was a honest, genuine question. My memory isn't what it was years back, and all of the lasers I see these days sport some sort of washer/clip/thingamabob. Hence why I mentioned the retro-authenticity aspect.

I had no intent of spoiling your thread.

FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #27
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Thumbs up It's All Good Guys...

I used to build Custom Harley Davidsons, once you've lived with a 95" Ironhead Sportster for a few years you learn all about fasteners & what really works & what leaves hand built race parts bouncing down the road behind you...

Like I've said before, I build skates for my customers & to their specifications, David wanted period correct & that my friends is what I gave to him, when or if he wants something different all he need do is call.

Derrick......
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #28
lharasim
Skate to get High

Quote:
With about 500 hairline cracks around the kingpin bosses!

They may look cool on the shelf, but I wouldn't skate them on a dare!

I feel that ADDING stuff to skates without a defect is just a waste of time & energy. I've owned 4 sets of One Hole Lasers & never had a kingpin strip or jamnut back out, but then I really tightened the jamnuts & checked them periodically.

I've also owned Satellites & numerous pairs of Black Diamond plates, I want to say that it was the Satellites that come with a "Star" washer in the kingpin assembly, I could be wrong.

If David puts some non original "Clip & Star" washers in HIS skates will you guys let it go? All I wanted to do is give my customer the same sage advice that Laser did when these 82's were built.

I knew Curt Cobain, but wasn't in Nirvana...

Derrick......

Fairnuff............ Derrick dude i am looking for older laser/sat stuff myself anything available?
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #29
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Red face Yeah, I'm Not Really Skating S/A Stuff Anymore So...

I do have some super clean & rare Plates & Parts available. Anyone is welcomed to P.M. me with what you are looking for & or need. If I can help you out with Parts/Plates I certainly will.

Derrick......
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #30
lharasim
Skate to get High

PM sent
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:58 AM   #31
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default At the risk of necrothreading

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
the only real thing i have to offer is i'm almost 100% shure that the lasers in 1982 did not have nylon trucks. i'm 99% shure they came with aluminium chicago trucks and those cheesy black cushions! i'm not shure of the year they changed to the over size cushions and the nylon trucks!
I only go back to about 1980 on Lasers, and all the ones I unboxed then had the white plastic trucks and the white hourglass cushions. I would not be surprised if the very early ones came with Chicago Super Jet trucks. The Laser was patterned after the Chicago Futura, and Super Jet trucks are a drop-on. At a minimum, I'm sure some skaters did that change themselves the same way we did Satellites with Black Diamond trucks.
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #32
xlracer

The sleeping dinosaur wakes up...........I have to comment since Danny and Bob have. Everything that wasnt sure-grip used the Chicago Super-Jet trucks. And yea Bob everything had the crappy black cushions too.
Ok I crawl back in my cave and return to my nap.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #33
Racer

Quote:
Any other plates I've ever encountered. These 1982 Onehole Laser Plates are CORRECT in assembly, I have a bunch of "Clip Washers" but these plates were not built with them & properly adjusted & maintained don't require them.

For the record, early Laser plates were carefully surfaced at the Jamnut/kingpin area. At some later date, clip washers were added to Lasers as a cost cutting measure & bandaid after brain dead skaters neglected their equipment & then attempted to hold Laser accountable for their own ignorance. Skaters should always read the instructions that come with their gear.

These 1982 Vintage Onehole Lasers were completely pure when I got them virtually new, the trucks on these Lasers are different from trucks on later model Lasers, adding clip washers & or star washers? would alter the proper factory geometery.

After speaking at length with my customer David, I know he wanted these skates built the way they came back in 1982 except for keeping the Blingpins I added while I owned them.

I don't feel that adding either clip washers or some big ass mushy star washer to a plate or kingpin assembly that wasn't designed with them is going to add to the sense of purity & precision that I aim for at Red Rocket Custom Skates.

Derrick......
I like where you are coming from in your buildout on this pair of skates.

I designed that pair of Grabber Toe Stops and when we ran C&L Speed Skating Eqpt., Inc from 1970-75, we were the exclusive source of those stops to the industry. The first Racing specific stops ever produced. Nice to see a pair still being used on an authentic build for that time period.

I remember sitting down with Laser in Chicago late 74 before they moved to Wi. about the then design and the changes that were coming up for Laser plates.

Racer
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote