S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM   #21
MorbidAngel1349
Treasure Coast Rollergirl

My boyfriend had a nasty blister on his big toe and he got Dr. Scholl's Blister Treatment. They're like a little bandaid that has stuff on it that dries the blister up in about 2-3 days. It leaves it kind of like a callous which may prevent you from getting another in the same spot. They're only like $6 at Walgreens. Here's some info about them.

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/p...p&searchArg=71

I would definitely consider this before going and putting salt on a wound!
MorbidAngel1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #22
sportster44
Speed skater Wanna Be

Did the duct tape thing with a blister from my new R4's. The duct tape caused me to get a bunch of pimples on my leg around the blister from cogged pores. Cleaned those out skated a couple of times on the whole thing and now have a cellulitis infection from the whole works from my toes to 4 inches above my ankle. spent 3 hours in Emerg last night getting IV antibiotics to drive this infection out, but right now I'm off my feet totally for the next couple of days and off my skates through next week.

My only advice: keep it clean!
sportster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #23
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster44 View Post
Did the duct tape thing with a blister from my new R4's.
How long did you leave the duct tape on?
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #24
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Yeah, I think the duct tape solution is only for the duration of the skate. It should be removed afterwards.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #25
sportster44
Speed skater Wanna Be

The duct tape was on only for the skate. Took it off when I took my skates off.
Have used duct tape quite a bit for known pinch points to prevent blisters on the backs of my ankles with no issues for years. This was the first time that I used it where I have hair folicles.

Things are getting better, swelling and redness are down quite a bit this morning, but I still wont be skating through next week. But I might go in to try on some Bonts next week. Want to get a true entry level speed boot!
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #26
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aus1PA5-SyI

Have you ever seen this? At about 2:20 he starts the tapping! Awesome! (Sorry for the hi-jack!...but it's worth it!)
I wish you would post this in a thread by itself in the quad forum....it's breathtaking!
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #27
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster44 View Post
The duct tape was on only for the skate. Took it off when I took my skates off.
<furrowing my brow> Hmm...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #28
sportster44
Speed skater Wanna Be

Just bad luck! and maybe I should wash my socks more often!
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #29
gatorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Yeah, I think the duct tape solution is only for the duration of the skate. It should be removed afterwards.
Generally my thinking about blisters is that the best treatment is to tape them once and NEVER remove the tape until the blister is gone or the tape sweats off. The tape is intended to protect the blister. If you pull the tape off you are applying a lot of stress to the blister. Also never put a pin through the blister or pop it. Infection usually won't start unless the skin is torn.

The best tapes to use are duck tape or white cloth style athletic tape. Clean the skin well prior to taping and it should stay on for a least a couple of days. If you have a lot of pimples around the tape it might be that you are alergic to the duct tape and will hopefully do better with the white cloth style athletic tape or a moleskin product. If the skin is torn I would put a little anispectic on it prior to taping.

That said it has been many years since I had blisters while skating. I am not sure if it is better form or better fitting skates but blisters were only really a problem when I got started in the sport. Often people say they are related to form (i.e. keeping your heel pressed down in the skate prevents many blisters).

I have never had a blister get infected so no advice for you on that front but I am glad you got it treated since infections can be very dangerous.
gatorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #30
sportster44
Speed skater Wanna Be

Well, considering they are new boots, I'm thinking I might have to heat the boot a bit for any pinch points..... and get my form to something respectable. Been a couple of years since I last skated with any seriousness.
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #31
online inline

i always, without exception, get at least a few blisters every time i get new skates. With my last ones, i had a doozy for a couple months, one on each heel, until i discovered that what was causing it was my habit of not tieing the laces in the top tow eyelets. Finally figured it out, laced it up, and blisters went away in a few days.
Ezefit booties help too.
I could post a pic if anyone wants a visual! It formed quite a crusty scab, and i can tell it;s still there without even looking!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #32
SanGabriel

Default Silopads > Blist-o-bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuper1 View Post
Here's an article on the NY Times about blisters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/fa...ssandnutrition
Part of the problem for me is my feet perspire so much that most anything I stick on comes off, and creates another/worse problem.

Those Blist-O-bans look brilliant! Just ordered a bunch. I have bony heel prominences. Until I got Silopads backpacking, XC skiing, were always half pleasure, half pain.

http://www.iceexcellence.com/accessories_footcare

Can't recommend Silopads highly enough for others with bony heels. Fortunately though, since switching to Salomon XC boots and inline skates, I haven't had back of heel issues, just ocasionally on the sides of heels (from heel lift) - the small blist-o-bans look perfect for that.

thanks for the link!
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #33
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

This probably doesn't work for you speed boot heat molded folk, but a good pair of smart wool hiking socks keep my feet from forming blisters to begin with. Cotton holds the sweat at your foot, the smart wool wicks it away and doesn't allow a blister to form in the first place.

I skate every single day, many times twice a day, and I haven't had a blister in 14 months. (I've been holding this intensity for 13 months.)

You can get a pair at any sun and ski sports outlet for 15-20 bucks.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM   #34
SanGabriel

Default Engo pad

+1 for the smartwools - much relief by using them.

Just when my push is finally starting to feel strong, my feet are giving out, pain more than blisters, possibly friction related though.

I also just came across Engo pads - anti friction you put on the boot/liner instead of your skin! I have some on order, looking forward to trying them.

http://www.goengo.com/default.aspx