S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old February 12th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #41
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

LOL. Good recommendation on the jump rope. Well, I jump without the rope. I tried just jumping last night. My feet and calves wanted to explode at 100 jumps. So, did 100, rested, did another, rested, then did 200.

This morning I was thinking about doing 1000 hops. Did 300, 200, 100 each with a bit of rest in-between, and then 5 more sets of 100 hops for a total of 1100. Tomorrow I think I will simply go for 5 minutes straight. Then work up to 10, then 20, then 30. Pretty intense stuff. One site said 10 minutes of hops is worth 30 minutes of some other aerobic activity. I believe it.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #42
Code Monkey

Actually you want to take the Arginine, Citrulline mixture morning and evening. You want it in your system not only during strenuous exercise but also while sleeping. You do most of body repair during sleep and this is when your endothelium will use it for blood vessel repair.

You aren't wasting your money taking it while not exercising.

Also, vitamin C and D in dosages way above what has been recommended. If you take a statin you should also take CoEnzyme Q10.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #43
evilzzz

My top 5 nutritional supps would be:

Vitamin D - 5,000 - 10,000 ius/day (esp in winter)
Fish oil - 3g/day
Magnesium - 500mg/day
Creatine - up to about 10-15g/day depending on how much strength work you do
Whey/amino acids - just a scoop after heavy sessions to aid recovery

Other stuff like Co-Q10, glutamine, d-ribose etc worth looking into but I wouldn't put them above what I have listed. Many of them are just isolated single amino acids anyway.

But I wouldn't put ANY supplement above a good organic meal with complete protein and healthy fats. Supps, are just that - supps; they shouldn't ever try to replace proper nutrition.

Last edited by evilzzz; February 18th, 2015 at 10:16 AM.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #44
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
My top 5 nutritional supps would be:

Vitamin D - 5,000 - 10,000 ius/day (esp in winter)
Fish oil - 3g/day
Magnesium - 500mg/day
Creatine - up to about 10-15g/day depending on how much strength work you do
Whey/amino acids - just a scoop after heavy sessions to aid recovery

Other stuff like Co-Q10, glutamine, d-ribose etc worth looking into but I wouldn't put them above what I have listed. Many of them are just isolated single amino acids anyway.

But I wouldn't put ANY supplement above a good organic meal with complete protein and healthy fats. Supps, are just that - supps; they shouldn't ever try to replace proper nutrition.
No disrespect to your supplements, but have you studied up on Arginine??

vasodilator
anti-inflammatory
improves immune
improves/is the basis for cell to cell communication
can produce HGH and Creatine
can actually CLEAN your arteries!!!

I have never been a supplementer. I have taken a multi-vitamin for years and that is about it. But I have suffered greatly with bad knees. Put simply, the Arginine greatly alleviated my knee pain so that I could lift heavier weights, and now can cycle again. (yes, my knees were SO bad, I could not ride my bike. I could barely skate, and sometimes could hardly walk) The extra energy I get from vasodilation is a great plus. If you are hitting your 40's, this could be your main supplement. At 53, it is for me. Great for TRUE cardio fitness and performance. I say true cardio fitness because it can actually clean things up inside. Ever hear of marathoners or other distance athletes have multiple bypass surgeries because the coronary arteries are clogged despite their healthy activities? Study up on it. Really good stuff.
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #45
evilzzz

I'm sure that it's effective for some people. Ultimately a supplement will be effective if it addresses a specific deficiency in an individual.
But if arginine of any other supp was universally effective to the degree some people claim.. then everyone - at least at elite level - would be on them.

The supps I have listed have LOTS of studies behind them which support their effectiveness.

I personally think that if you are properly healthy then NO supp should provide a "wonder" boost. Mostly they help with post-exercise recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
No disrespect to your supplements, but have you studied up on Arginine??

vasodilator
anti-inflammatory
improves immune
improves/is the basis for cell to cell communication
can produce HGH and Creatine
can actually CLEAN your arteries!!!

I have never been a supplementer. I have taken a multi-vitamin for years and that is about it. But I have suffered greatly with bad knees. Put simply, the Arginine greatly alleviated my knee pain so that I could lift heavier weights, and now can cycle again. (yes, my knees were SO bad, I could not ride my bike. I could barely skate, and sometimes could hardly walk) The extra energy I get from vasodilation is a great plus. If you are hitting your 40's, this could be your main supplement. At 53, it is for me. Great for TRUE cardio fitness and performance. I say true cardio fitness because it can actually clean things up inside. Ever hear of marathoners or other distance athletes have multiple bypass surgeries because the coronary arteries are clogged despite their healthy activities? Study up on it. Really good stuff.
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #46
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Wanna real live power boost? Go strictly pescetarian, organic and gluten free.

The health benefits are touted on that Japanese island where they all live into their 90's and 100's and eat nothing but fish and veggies.

My performance is well above average. I merely want to maintain it. For another 50 years.

I did pick up some N.O. but can't really tell much with it. I think performance all depends on mood. Seriously. I can't skate worth a shi7 when I'm mad or upset or in a bad mood.

Elevate your mind, step up your game!
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #47
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
I'm sure that it's effective for some people. Ultimately a supplement will be effective if it addresses a specific deficiency in an individual.
I think that is exactly what has happened with me. I have always had small veins, according to everyone who has ever taken my blood, my pulse rate and blood pressure have always been too high, considering my activity levels, my oxygen uptake was never as good as the next guys', and I had poor recovery from hard efforts. Add to that the common middle age ailment, inflamed joints: Arthritis. Not to mention my blood clots. Heck, my clots may not be a clotting issue at all, but a small vein, combined with some plaque in there, and low NO. Plus NO reduces clotting as well.

I am going to pursue a flushing protocol from now through summer. Good amounts of cardio plus the Good Stuff powder with the 5 grams Arginine and 1 gram Citruline, along with the Folate and vitamins. This may be a better way of managing my blood clotting issues. Then I will again experiment, and drop the meds and see I can keep it at bay without meds, but with supplements that carry all good things and no bad. Besides a bit of tummy rumbling. Plus aside from my clotting issue, it will improve my entire cardiac system. I mean, if it is true that I tend toward deficiency, which I currently believe to be true, if I supplement AND do a lot of cardio, I can FINALLY get the full good results that a heathy person gets. Instead of the somewhat stunted results I have seemed to get all my life. By the end of summer, we'll see how this little experiment works out.
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #48
Code Monkey

Hey nrufusprime99,

I know it seems like a lot of cardio is the way to go but it really isn't. All in balance. Now "a lot" is relative and some people say I do a lot but not really. I do skate quite a bit, almost every day but I mix it up with lots of drills. One day, not much cardio but drills and strict form watching. Some days, serious cardio, long slow distance.

A big thing to consider is taking crystalline vitamin C. You will have to mix it with some other juice because it makes anything bitter. 10,000 mg is the daily amount I take. It is a lot but as Linus Pauling said so many years ago, it is what is needed for optimum use. Linus was another Nobel prize winner. Vitamin C also helps with blood thinning. Now something else, I know many people are against taking medications but they really do work so consult your doctor before you start becoming your own doctor. Sure it is good to get off them when it is wise to do so. If people knew how much research and development and time and testing goes into a drug development they would be less quick to bad mouth the industry. On the other hand homeopathic methods do very little research and development and no real scientific testing. Not to say there aren't elements of truth to them but one must be careful. For instance, me saying I feel better or my results from my diet and medications will do the same for you is just not scientific and may not be accurate at all and in fact may cause harm. Saying that because people live longer because of their diet also sounds great but it may not be the true case. A lot has to do with genetics, environment and many other variables. Again, not to say it doesn't have a ring of truth to it but making a simple causal judgment is just not accurate. It just ain't that easy.

On the stomach growling issues. Usually take medications and supplements with food. Oatmeal is a great one. Fruits and veggies. Soluble and insoluble fiber.

In general it is best to eat a very healthy diet, one with very little fat, lot's of fruit, veggies, protein and carbs. Supplements and also meds if prescribed for you individually. Testing done to see if your body is adjusting and meds are not needed. Not excessive consumption of food and a little over moderate exercise.

Now if you wish to be like body builders then this goes out the window. They take in massive amounts of protein and supplements and over tax their hearts and kidneys to the extent of permanent damage and that doesn't even go into the steroid use. Now I don't think you are trying to do that but also trying to compete at a level of say "Pro" or a young person in their 20's, when middle aged is most likely not wise.

The above are just my rants and thoughts on the matter and just out there for discussion and not anything I think should be required or mandated.
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #49
Code Monkey

Something else I want to point out. I was just one of millions in a study of heart attack patients that went on this strict diet in conjunction with supplements, medications, exercise, stretching and meditation (yoga) and surgery. Sort of hit it with everything you can think of method. It worked for me. Surviving 13 years now and able to skate marathon distance on average around 1 hour and 45 minutes. Brain seems to be ok. That is another benefit of taking the Arginine and Citrulline mix. For instance, when I was young I could memorize a deck of cards. Years before my heart attack I could not and just figured it was age. Now I can memorize a deck again. It took about three years for me to get back to doing it again. Now not to say practice wasn't involved, of course it was, but common sense sort of points to, if your brain is not getting the oxygen to perform, it won't. If it does than it can perform if pushed. Sort of like muscle tissue.

Just think of things taking time. This is contrary to what is in the media and also in advertisement. I see advertisements in supplement stores, like loose 15 pounds in one month and such things, take a pill and get ripped abs. Once again, no science or statistical testing analysis, just hype and advertisement. There is real science behind arginine and citrulline and that is why the Nobel Prize was awarded. It's not easy to get one of those for science.
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #50
Code Monkey

And then again...

my left knee was just sort of giving me a little glitch when going upstairs and such. Well along time ago I tried glucosamine chondroitin. Ok, it was recommended by a friend of mine who is a body builder and said I should take it every day because skating like I do is basically one-legged squats and it will help. So I did and since at that time I wasn't in pain it was hard to tell and so I stopped taking it thinking why take something I don't need.

Well, I still have the bottle and since now my left knee was having a bit of pain I thought I would take it. Ok, no science, no scientific study, no nothing but what a body builder told me. So I take it and in one day my knee pain... gone!

So even though the scientific method is reliable it does not mean other methods are not successful and I don't mean to say to dismiss them. Sometimes you learn a lot from "word of mouth".

My default words of wisdom are... "It just isn't that easy."

Anyway I just wanted to tell you about it because you may also have joint pain. I don't know how many others know about this stuff but for me, it worked.
Old March 14th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #51
evilzzz

Beetroot Juice has high levels of nitrates and has been studied a lot recently - I imagine it gives very similar effects to what you are describing with Arginine.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-nu...g-performance/

-> make of it what you will!
Old June 20th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #52
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Update: Arginine Plus has.....

.....Sucked. I have finished 2 jars of it, and it has performed poorly. I am going to contact the company to see if they will send me a replacement jar. I get nothing out of it. I get a better feeling of energy and better workout performance from ONE NO2 Black pill. That is ONE gram, vs FIVE grams in the Arginine Plus. Plus the Plus has Citruline as well. Very disappointed.

I was wondering why MRI NO2 Black works so much better than they Arginine Plus. I ONLY take 2 NO2 black pills at a time, 2 grams, and I get a better result than five grams in the Arginine Plus. I can only surmise that it is that enzyme in the NO2 Black. NO-Synthase I believe. Supposed to help the uptake of the Arginine.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:46 PM   #53
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default This is cool

http://www.life-enhancement.com/maga...rcise-capacity

Excerpt:
Hypoxia is a lack of oxygen, a condition that can become severe at very high altitudes. A group of researchers from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland observed that natives of Bolivia and Tibet who live at 3900-4200 meters (12,800-13,800 feet) in the Andes or Himalayas produce higher levels of nitric oxide than Americans who live at low altitudes, near sea level.2 In fact, the Tibetans have nitric oxide levels approximately twice as high as those of lowland Americans. Not surprisingly, the oxygen saturation of their tissues during physical exercise is correspondingly higher at these elevations than it is in low-dwelling, acclimatized non-natives, such as Europeans and Chinese.

Interesting!