S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old October 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #41
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Thanks for the links. I had seen Sweet Poison before but hadn't really looked at it much. Dr. Starr-Hull is probably an excellent doctor and the book is probably chock full of information. But...why does it seem like the diet companies try to make a buck at our expense peddling these poisons and then all of the doctors and nutritionists want to make a buck reversing the effects of the poison?

Does anyone have any specific information on detoxifying the body through supplementation or diet? It would be even better if it were aimed at removing aspartame.

I've heard of clay baths. They sound like they might help but wow, it's a lot of trouble. Also, epsom salts in a bath might help as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by j_nolesfan; October 19th, 2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added information.
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #42
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

According to Snopes.com, I'm totally nuts.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #43
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I don't think that you will need much help detoxing. Drink plenty of water, I guess. You body has probably gotten rid of all the nutrasweet by now.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #44
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nolesfan View Post
Thanks for the links. I had seen Sweet Poison before but hadn't really looked at it much. Dr. Starr-Hull is probably an excellent doctor and the book is probably chock full of information. But...why does it seem like the diet companies try to make a buck at our expense peddling these poisons and then all of the doctors and nutritionists want to make a buck reversing the effects of the poison?

Does anyone have any specific information on detoxifying the body through supplementation or diet? It would be even better if it were aimed at removing aspartame.

I've heard of clay baths. They sound like they might help but wow, it's a lot of trouble. Also, epsom salts in a bath might help as well.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

There's plenty of detox programs out there (Dr. Hulda Clark has a good liver and kidney cleanse - and yes she is also the one with the weird theori about her zapper, that part is just too weird for me, but the cleanses are ok according to my nutrionist).

If you decide to go that way, make sure you do it with the help of a competent nutrionist or herbalist or somebody that knows what happens when you start detoxing.

Maybe Bill is right, and plenty of water is always good, but if he is not right you can do a lot of harm to liver and kidneys if you just detox without liver or kidney being ready to detox. If those two organs are not working the best, and you start detoxing, you will dump a lot of sh** in them and they will either do there job or they will not. Do you want to risk them not doing their job?

I'm not trying to scare you, just to remind you that detoxing is to be taken seriously and on a gradient.

Best of luck with it and report back how it goes!
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #45
Jibberish18

Your body should "detoxify" on it's own. As long as your eating is healthy and you're drinking plenty of water.
Jibberish18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #46
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibberish18 View Post
Your body should "detoxify" on it's own. As long as your eating is healthy and you're drinking plenty of water.

Agreed! I would push yourself to eat 1-2 lbs of veggies a day and eat mostly fruit for your carbs, organic, you will flush out your system quickly. Just dont put in more toxins, drugs, non organic meats, sodas, alcohol, etc.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #47
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Just an update now that I've been off the poison (Slim Fast) for two weeks. I haven't magically become completely asymptomatic as far as my heart/chest is concerned. However, my irregular heartbeats are much less common and much less severe. Now, if I'm not paying attention, I rarely notice an irregular beat. That's a stark contrast to two weeks ago when I wondered if I'd ever feel anything close to normal again. Also, the irregular beats used to often be accompanied by a tightness in my chest. While I did have a slight tighness in my chest yesterday for about an hour, that's the only time I can remember. I wonder if it had anything to do with the banana I had just eaten? I still have to take a deep breath now and then or at least a sigh but it's almost unnoticeable.

Of course, I don't attribute my improvement solely to stopping the Slim Fast. I think it's the vitamins I'm taking combined with a slight improvement in eating habits and the fact that I have skated three times this week. Tuesday and yesterday's speed practice were killers. I was still so sore yesterday morning that I didn't know if I'd be able to go to practice but the soreness subsided as the day went on and I had a decent practice.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Jeff