S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Npawn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inverness, Florida
Posts: 488
Default The Cycling Thread

So Im looking at getting a bike to do some cross training and change it up a bit. Looking for some input on this particular bike. Our bike shop only carries Trek bikes.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...d/1_series/12/
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Jessica
Queen of the Mile
 
Jessica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,103
Default

Treks are great bikes - I have a Trek mb that's still going strong after 5ish years without any major failures. Can't go wrong with them IMO.
__________________
Eternally Hungry Skinsuited Weenie
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Drella
alive with pleasure
 
Drella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between Thought and Expression
Posts: 757
Default

Here's the deal, the bike may cost a few bills but your accessories will equal the price of the bike.

ex: Giro Atmos helmet = $149.
Pearl Izumi Bibs and jersey = $229.
Gloves = $25.
Socks = $7.
Glasses = $100.
Shoes = $189.
Pedals = $149.
Gu and other nutrional items = $40. for the first month
Bottle cages and bottles = $50.
Floor pump = $45.
Extra tubes and flat tire repair kit for on the road = $36.
Chain lubes and cleaner kit = $45.
Lights / tail lights cheaply, just enough to be seen= $55.

So as you can see, we're already over $1000.

Now here's what I'm going to say about the bike. Get something that will have a higher re-sale value, just incase you don't enjoy the sport. That way, you won't be stuck trying to sell used junk.

The bike you linked to is alright but has crappy parts and wheel-set.

So now, let's just say you really like the sport,, now what has happened is you have a bike that will not perform as good as your new riding partners or be as cool as you'd would've liked it to have been. I follow the rule of- "buy the best," that way you don't have to buy it twice.

What I would recommend is buying something used. There are plenty of folks who purchase new rides every year and have wonderful items on the cheap.

Get a Carbon Fiber ride with nothing less than Ultegra 10 speed and a Ksyrium SSL wheel-set. I bet you can find this used and in great shape for around $1600. And we're talking about a bike that would retail for over $4000.

Check your local Craigs List frequently and of course e-bay...
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Npawn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inverness, Florida
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
Here's the deal, the bike may cost a few bills but your accessories will equal the price of the bike.

ex: Giro Atmos helmet = $149.
Pearl Izumi Bibs and jersey = $229.
Gloves = $25.
Socks = $7.
Glasses = $100.
Shoes = $189.
Pedals = $149.
Gu and other nutrional items = $40. for the first month
Bottle cages and bottles = $50.
Floor pump = $45.
Extra tubes and flat tire repair kit for on the road = $36.
Chain lubes and cleaner kit = $45.
Lights / tail lights cheaply, just enough to be seen= $55.

So as you can see, we're already over $1000.

Now here's what I'm going to say about the bike. Get something that will have a higher re-sale value, just incase you don't enjoy the sport. That way, you won't be stuck trying to sell used junk.

The bike you linked to is alright but has crappy parts and wheel-set.

So now, let's just say you really like the sport,, now what has happened is you have a bike that will not perform as good as your new riding partners or be as cool as you'd would've liked it to have been. I follow the rule of- "buy the best," that way you don't have to buy it twice.

What I would recommend is buying something used. There are plenty of folks who purchase new rides every year and have wonderful items on the cheap.

Get a Carbon Fiber ride with nothing less than Ultegra 10 speed and a Ksyrium SSL wheel-set. I bet you can find this used and in great shape for around $1600. And we're talking about a bike that would retail for over $4000.

Check your local Craigs List frequently and of course e-bay...


Im not lookin to join the tour. I just want to buzz up and down the paved bike path to get some miles in. I can understand maybe 1 or 2 of the accessories.. I have a bell delirium helmet, I dont ride at night and could only forsee using the spare tubes on the road and a basic maint kit.
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #5
CKmost
Senior Member
 
CKmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 421
Default

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROAD-RACING-...QQcmdZViewItem

I was looking at bikes a few months ago (never pulled the trigger) and I happened to run into this off brand (Dawes). I did a bit of research (forums, websites) and found that for the casual/fitness user the bike worked quite well. Some of the equipment on the bike is old school (e.g., shifters), but overall it is supposedly a solid bike. Not the lightest carbon fiber racing bike, but for what you are looking for, I think this might work (do more research). Its a hell of allot cheaper than the Trek you are looking at. As far as my perspective, a bike is a bike at 1st, you are probably not going to get the benefits of an expensive bike unless you really get into it (you can also argue that you get a better work out on a less expensive bike). At 2bills it will serve you well until or if you want to upgrade, and at that point you will understand what it is exactly you like and dislike and can justify spending 1k plus on a bike.

I think I just convinced myself, going to get a bike for myself and the wife.


--Last whatever bike you get,spend 50-75 bucks at a good shop and get the bike professionally tuned
CKmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Npawn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inverness, Florida
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKmost View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROAD-RACING-...QQcmdZViewItem

I was looking at bikes a few months ago (never pulled the trigger) and I happened to run into this off brand (Dawes). I did a bit of research (forums, websites) and found that for the casual/fitness user the bike worked quite well. Some of the equipment on the bike is old school (e.g., shifters), but overall it is supposedly a solid bike. Not the lightest carbon fiber racing bike, but for what you are looking for, I think this might work (do more research). Its a hell of allot cheaper than the Trek you are looking at. As far as my perspective, a bike is a bike at 1st, you are probably not going to get the benefits of an expensive bike unless you really get into it (you can also argue that you get a better work out on a less expensive bike). At 2bills it will serve you well until or if you want to upgrade, and at that point you will understand what it is exactly you like and dislike and can justify spending 1k plus on a bike.

I think I just convinced myself, going to get a bike for myself and the wife.


--Last whatever bike you get,spend 50-75 bucks at a good shop and get the bike professionally tuned
Id almost rather buy a bike at a local shop simply for the personal service you receive when you buy from a local place. I didnt buy any of my skate equipment locally or never visted a local shop and im kicking myself for it now.
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #7
CKmost
Senior Member
 
CKmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npawn View Post
Id almost rather buy a bike at a local shop simply for the personal service you receive when you buy from a local place. I didnt buy any of my skate equipment locally or never visted a local shop and im kicking myself for it now.

I agree with you, but these bikes are just a hell of lot more expensive than skates of comparable performance levels (i.e., Top of the line skates = 700+, top of the line bike 7,000+.).

The personal experience is definitely worth it, I wish I could have had the opportunity to purchase my skates from a local place, but we all know this industry If you got the cash go for it, judging by what you said looks like this will probably be your last purchase for quite some time, you will most probably get you monies worth. My cousin has a trek hybrid road bike (500 smackers or so), and it has worked quite well for him, the build quality was excellent and it rode very nice.
CKmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #8
CKmost
Senior Member
 
CKmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 421
Default

BTW can anybody recommend any other options at the 200 dollar price range?

So off topic , but can you guys tell me if these sizes sound right (i'm 5'9" my wife is 5'7") Thanks:


# X-SMALL [47c] fits riders 4'8" to 5'1"
# SMALL [50c] fits riders 5'2" to 5'4"
# SMALL/MEDIUM [53c] fits riders 5'5"to 5'7"
# MEDIUM [56c] fits riders 5'8" to 5'10"
# MEDIUM/LARGE [59c] fits riders 5'11" to 6'1"
# LARGE/X-LARGE [62c] fits riders 6'2" to 6'4"
CKmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Npawn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inverness, Florida
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKmost View Post
BTW can anybody recommend any other options at the 200 dollar price range?

So off topic , but can you guys tell me if these sizes sound right (i'm 5'9" my wife is 5'7") Thanks:


# X-SMALL [47c] fits riders 4'8" to 5'1"
# SMALL [50c] fits riders 5'2" to 5'4"
# SMALL/MEDIUM [53c] fits riders 5'5"to 5'7"
# MEDIUM [56c] fits riders 5'8" to 5'10"
# MEDIUM/LARGE [59c] fits riders 5'11" to 6'1"
# LARGE/X-LARGE [62c] fits riders 6'2" to 6'4"

Guy I work with is 5'11 and runs a 54 or 56c So those may be a bit big. Im lookin at a 50-52 and im 5'9
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #10
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan
 
oldnslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern IN
Posts: 1,076
Default

The size is more determined by your inseam than your height. My Levis have a 30"inseam and I fit a 52cm Trek.
The bike you have a link to is nice, especially for what you want to do. You might want to consider a model with carbon seat stays though. The carbon stays will absorb alot of the road vibration. It seems minute, but if you end up spending longer than an hour in the saddle, it makes a big difference. Also, the Bontrager wheels are not the best. Mavic makes a much better wheel that will take more abuse then the Bontragers. It does not have to be Mavics best, a set of Open Pro's would work fine.
Before you get the bike, no matter what you go with, make sure the shop puts cloth rim tape on the wheels if they don't already have it. Plastic rim tape will pinch the tube and cause you to flat. And that just sucks.
Only other suggestion would be upgrading to Speedplay pedals. Those toe clips are a pain.
Good luck.
Search for a local club to ride with. You can learn alot in a short amount of time.
__________________
"Haste makes waste...and talk is CHEAP
Shut Up and SKATE!"
oldnslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Drella
alive with pleasure
 
Drella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between Thought and Expression
Posts: 757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npawn View Post
Im not lookin to join the tour. I just want to buzz up and down the paved bike path to get some miles in. I can understand maybe 1 or 2 of the accessories.. I have a bell delirium helmet, I dont ride at night and could only forsee using the spare tubes on the road and a basic maint kit.

Sorry my brutha,, when I see that you want to- "do some cross-training," I figured you were serious about skating. To me, cross-training implies someone is training for races. Therefore, are interested in simply winning at all costs. To me, if one doesn't race then his training is merely recreational riding. So if this is the case for you, I would check out a comfortable way of keeping in shape.

I log many miles a year cycling but I derive tremendous joy in riding one of these.

These bikes are fun and perfect for those who aren't out to prove anything to anyone, yet want to move their legs and enjoy the scenery while doing it.

I have the simple cruiser without the shifting- and it's a girls frame in electric blue. I love that bike!

As for the list of items, you'll be surprised what you'd find yourself buying right off the line.
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #12
Npawn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inverness, Florida
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
Sorry my brutha,, when I see that you want to- "do some cross-training," I figured you were serious about skating. To me, cross-training implies someone is training for races. Therefore, are interested in simply winning at all costs. To me, if one doesn't race then his training is merely recreational riding. So if this is the case for you, I would check out a comfortable way of keeping in shape.

I log many miles a year cycling but I derive tremendous joy in riding one of these.

These bikes are fun and perfect for those who aren't out to prove anything to anyone, yet want to move their legs and enjoy the scenery while doing it.

I have the simple cruiser without the shifting- and it's a girls frame in electric blue. I love that bike!

As for the list of items, you'll be surprised what you'd find yourself buying right off the line.


Im a cheap bastard when it comes to accessories..I skate to compete, I used to practice with a team until the drama bomb exploded. I have the option to skate with Coach Renee in Ocala on the weekends and I will probably start as soon as I get a decent base again. My only goal with starting to skate again was to skate a marathon in a respectable time for my age group (preferably disney, but as disney is no more im open to other options) So I guess im on the fence. I want to skate/train hard but with no real reason to do it =p
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #13
Jessica
Queen of the Mile
 
Jessica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npawn View Post
Id almost rather buy a bike at a local shop simply for the personal service you receive when you buy from a local place. I didnt buy any of my skate equipment locally or never visted a local shop and im kicking myself for it now.
I spent a couple of months looking for used bikes online, but I'm really glad I ended up going with the local shop. One of the most important things you need to do when you buy a bike is make sure it fits you perfectly - I've heard plenty of horror stories from other cyclists that bought a bike without having it fitted/adjusted correctly, and ended up tearing up their knees or being otherwise uncomfortable. I was fitted by a bike expert and ended up getting a smaller bike than the one I would have bought going by online conversions/guidelines. I've never had any problems with my knees or anything else - never underestimate the importance of personalization
__________________
Eternally Hungry Skinsuited Weenie
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #14
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong
 
More Cowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Mile High City
Posts: 1,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
Sorry my brutha,, when I see that you want to- "do some cross-training," I figured you were serious about skating.
Oh good Lord.

So Npawn's reluctance to overspend on a bicycle somehow implies a lack of seriousness about skating? Please explain.

I am serious about skate racing, ask anyone here. I have a bike that I use for commuting, and on days when my training program does not specifically call for skating, I ride it hard enough to elevate my heart rate and differently exercise my skating muscles (a.k.a. "cross-training"). I spent about $600 on this bike, including accessories, and it works fine. I don't care how fast this bike goes, or whether it lets me keep pace with the guys on their $4000 carbon fiber rigs, because I'm not a bike racer. If I ever become a bike racer, that's when I'll consider spending more on a bike. For now, I'll spend my money on skating because -- I just want to emphasize this -- that's my main sport.

My rule on hobbies is to start small and cheap. If you decide to continue with the hobby, you can upgrade later when you have a better understanding of what you're getting for those big bucks. This strategy also has the advantage of not making you look like a huge poseur when you're a novice tooling around with advanced gear.
__________________
-- Lawrence
"Miles to go before I sleep."
More Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #15
roller_dudette
skate addict!
 
roller_dudette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,332
Default

Road bikes are BORING.......get one of these! Hit the trails and launch off some jumps!!

__________________
Learning new tricks again!! Life is good. :-D
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #16
CrazyGambit
Socially Unacceptable
 
CrazyGambit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 1,010
Default

I like Trek's, looks like a good bike for the $.


Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Road bikes are BORING.......get one of these! Hit the trails and launch off some jumps!!

I got a mountain bike in the garage i very seldom ride. So seldom that when i do, i have to pump the shocks back up. I like a nice road bike too though different beast. Actually if i had a road bike in the garage i would probably ride it quite a bit more.
__________________
Sean
CrazyGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #17
Drella
alive with pleasure
 
Drella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between Thought and Expression
Posts: 757
Default

[QUOTE=More Cowbell;108445]
Quote:
Oh good Lord.
Amen!
Quote:
So Npawn's reluctance to overspend on a bicycle somehow implies a lack of seriousness about skating? Please explain.
Seems that you just have.
Quote:
I am serious about skate racing, ask anyone here. I have a bike that I use for commuting, and on days when my training program does not specifically call for skating, I ride it hard enough to elevate my heart rate and differently exercise my skating muscles (a.k.a. "cross-training").
I'm glad to hear that.
Quote:
I spent about $600 on this bike, including accessories, and it works fine. I don't care how fast this bike goes, or whether it lets me keep pace with the guys on their $4000 carbon fiber rigs, because I'm not a bike racer.
Sounds thrifty,, good for you.
Quote:
If I ever become a bike racer, that's when I'll consider spending more on a bike. For now, I'll spend my money on skating because -- I just want to emphasize this -- that's my main sport.
I'm pleased you have shared, thank-you.
Quote:
My rule on hobbies is to start small and cheap. If you decide to continue with the hobby, you can upgrade later when you have a better understanding of what you're getting for those big bucks. This strategy also has the advantage of not making you look like a huge poseur when you're a novice tooling around with advanced gear.[/
QUOTE]
That sounds like good advise to me, thanks again...
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #18
BleeckerSt_Girl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

NPawn-
This is my very first post on a roller skating forum. I am a new skater. But I do bike a lot. I saw your thread and wanted to respond with some reassurances.
Jessica has given some good advice. If you buy from a local bike shop that is reputable and treats you well from the start, then they will help make adjustments to your bike to get it to fit you just right, they will help you down the road with all sorts of problems big and small.
If you just want to ride roads and put in some miles to get generally more fit and enjoy yourself, then you don't need an expensive carbon racer or a clunky pseudo-retro cruiser or a mountain bike either (mtn bikes are awful on long rides over paved roads). Get yourself a nice Trek road bike or a Trek Hybrid and you will be fine on it for a good long while. Treks can always be resold easily later too- everyone knows they are decent bikes. Jamis steel bikes are also quite good bikes for the money- see if there are any Jamis dealers near you.
You don't really need any expensive clipless pedals or shoes (unless you are planning to compete), and a helmet does not need to be more than $30- they all pass the exact same rigorous crash tests by law. If you put in a lot of miles you might want some padded shorts. Bontrager saddles are known to be pretty uncomfortable for women, so you might try asking them to swap the saddle for another before you buy. Many women like Terry saddles. Puffy foam saddles are painful after a half hour riding, so avoid big padded saddles.
Other than that you can ride in your street clothes and sneakers until you feel a need to use different clothes.
Definitely yes on some $12 gloves to protect your palms if you skid out. A flat fix kit and tubes, and a floor pump for home are needed. Learn how to change a flat. A lock and heavy cable if you are going to leave your bike for a minute anywhere. The bike may come with bottle cage and you can use any old water bottle at all in it.
You don't need a fancy lightweight racing bike to get fit- you will get just as fit by riding the same number of hours on a hybrid. Depends on your hills and gears and other factors. Read up on safe biking behavior in traffic.
I ride a lugged steel road bike. It's a bit heavier than aluminum or carbon, but it's way more comfortable on a 70 mile ride. I ride about 4,000 miles a year on all kinds of roads- from cowpaths over fields to gravel backroads to major highways, and always lots of hills.

Good luck and remember that enjoying your ride is the most important part.
Lisa
  Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #19
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,812
Default

Lisa good luck on the bike riding and now the skating. i am northeast too, what part are you in. where do you ride in the winter?
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #20
BleeckerSt_Girl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi Rick,
I am in New York state. We ride our bikes all over our rural area here, and in winter too sometimes- we just need dry roads and at least 28 degrees F for say a 2 hour ride or so. We almost never drive somewhere to go bike riding- we have a whole network of different rides mapped out starting from our house and going through various other towns, sometimes into western MA briefly.
I am lucky to have a modest roller rink about 20 minutes drive from home. It's been there 15 years but I just "discovered" it two weeks ago.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.