S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old January 17th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #41
kufman

I have the red VT's in 110mm, but they are a lot softer than Burns or other wheels mentioned in this thread. Was the hot wheel the harder version of the VT? I see they are making Black Track Turbos. Those may work as well if the VT was a good wheel.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #42
SkateMO

I've only skated at the dome once, so perhaps what I'm about to say is bad advice. But, my take on the dome is similar to a "rain race." I use hard wheels (outdoor wheels) and just adjust my technique so that I'm taking short, quick strokes (without a lot of power in my pushes). Last year, I used hard wheels, and I was definitely slipping, but by adjusting my technique (as I would do in the rain), it wasn't too bad.

Like everyone else, I'm not spending $100+ for a set of wheels for the dome. So, my advice is to go with what you have - preferrably a new outdoor wheel - and then make some tweaks to your skating style (during the race).
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #43
kufman

I have a few different things I can try (if I can get away from work long enough to go up there). I have Red VT's, Burns, Purple Prototypes, Green Mtechs (MPC soft indoor), and Green Matter Juice wheels (new). I don't think the Burns roll worth a darn so those probably are not the ticket. The purple prototypes roll good, but the hub vibration may drive me crazy in a marathon length race. The VT's are probably good, but a little bit soft. The green Mtechs are fast as heck but they are probably a bit hard for this course. I think there is regular session the night before. Might be a good time to try some thing.
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #44
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

SkateMO, I think the problem with treating the dome like a rain race is that the other conditions don't conform similarly, and it is basically a time trial. Seems like it would be harder to skate the distance fast with a shorter stride. Just my thought on it.

Kufman, I will be interested to hear how the Green MTechs do. I know the Red VTs will work. You will probably get what you expect out of the Burns. I would love for Rmarfori to chime in on this, since he set the course record last year. I don't remember what he skated the race on. You can bet a lot of the Adam's Inline guys will be on Black Tracks and Black Track Turbos.

Surface is a polished concrete, if that makes any difference. The best part about this race is the uniformity of the conditions over the distance. If you get your gear right, it is a good gauge for where you are physically for the year. It is that 70 lap nonsense that makes it so hard.
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #45
SkateMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
SkateMO, I think the problem with treating the dome like a rain race is that the other conditions don't conform similarly, and it is basically a time trial. Seems like it would be harder to skate the distance fast with a shorter stride. Just my thought on it.

Kufman, I will be interested to hear how the Green MTechs do. I know the Red VTs will work. You will probably get what you expect out of the Burns. I would love for Rmarfori to chime in on this, since he set the course record last year. I don't remember what he skated the race on. You can bet a lot of the Adam's Inline guys will be on Black Tracks and Black Track Turbos.

Surface is a polished concrete, if that makes any difference. The best part about this race is the uniformity of the conditions over the distance. If you get your gear right, it is a good gauge for where you are physically for the year. It is that 70 lap nonsense that makes it so hard.
Good point...with that being said, there isn't a lot of "starting and stopping" at the Dome race. Furthermore, there is very little sprinting and no up-hill skating. My point being is that once you get up to speed, it's more about roll and less about grip. Granted, you need grip when you cross-over and grip definitely helps generate speed, but all in all, you can get by with a little less grip (and a little more roll) - in my opinion. I'm not an expert at the dome, so I could be wrong. This is just my own thought process when it comes to the dome race.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #46
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post

70 laps isn't so bad At a typical indoor practice we do between 200 and 300 laps.

There is a rink in Batavia, IL that has a concrete floor so that is what I base my testing on. It does have an epoxy finish on it so that makes it somewhat different. When the epoxy first goes down, the floor is the fastest floor in the area... but that only lasts about 2 weeks. When the epoxy is worn, I think a bare concrete floor would provide more grip. As the epoxy wears, it gets dusty which is the worst thing for traction. MTechs worked well on this floor so there is a chance that they will work at Dome. I only have 100mm MTechs so it might be a mute point to try them. At the same time, those 100mm MTechs are just as fast as 110mm wheels if you don't have to make a lot of high speed turns (short track type turns). If I get to attend the race, I will bring them to try.
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #47
ThePerambulator

The old black tracks are impossible to find new in 110. I've looked!
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #48
ramarfori

IMO, the best Dome wheels is still the original MPC Black Track wheel. They have amazing roll while providing the grip needed for the Dome's coated concrete surface. Unfortunately like a few other skaters mentioned, you cannot find them anywhere in 110MM. They also are notorious for delaminating; a problem they have fixed with the new Black Track Turbo. I know a handful of skaters who are currently skating on a mix of Black Tracks and some other wheels because of delamination problems.

I was lucky enough to do a side by side comparison of the original Black Track and the new Black Track Turbo wheels this year. In short the original Black Track wheel has much better grip while the new wheel edges out the original in roll. If you can stomach the high price tag, the Black Track Turbo is the best Dome wheel out there that is still available in the market. I have been told by a top skater that mixing the top two hardnesses is the way to go for the Dome surface. One other tip...MPC markets their outdoor wheels as MPC while their indoor wheels are branded Canariam. However, the Black Track wheel is sold under both brands. I have been told by a MPC dealer that the Canariam Super Track is the EXACT same wheel as the Black Track Turbo but costs $17 per wheel instead of $23. You can pick up the Black Track Turbo wheels from Adam's Inline and the Super Track on the MPC website.
ramarfori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #49
73skater

I won't be buying a set a of wheels for the dome...I've got a set a red VTs that sound like they will work. I don't have very many road miles on these VTs but I plan on scrubbing them to remove dirt/grease picked up from the roads. Just use soap and water? Or does anyone have a recommended solvent?
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #50
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73skater View Post
I won't be buying a set a of wheels for the dome...I've got a set a red VTs that sound like they will work. I don't have very many road miles on these VTs but I plan on scrubbing them to remove dirt/grease picked up from the roads. Just use soap and water? Or does anyone have a recommended solvent?
It doesn't really matter if you clean them, the damage is already done to the surface of the wheel. Skating on indoor surfaces requires a smooth wheel. Once they go outside they never work very well indoors.

Your best bet to clean them is just plain water. Don't use alcohol because it will dry out the urethane. Hydrogen peroxide sometimes works and doesn't seem to degrade the urethane too much. Vinegar is ok on the urethane as well. Avoid kitchen cleaners like Fatastik as they also harm the urethane. For indoor wheels I have found that Mr Clean Magic Erasers work very well. They don't contain any active ingredients. They work because of their micro porous structure. They may work for roughed up outdoor wheels as well.
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #51
ThePerambulator

Just as a follow up, I switched back to my F1 G13s from the Atom Burns, and it was a night and day difference in feel and speed. The Burns always felt like I was skating in molasses. The G13s rolled forever and weren't nearly as slippery as I remember from before. I was skating laps 5-6 full seconds faster last night with the G13s. So while G13s aren't the best wheel, they're definitely not the worst, even after I used them for a bunch of outdoor races last year.

I noticed a couple guys who had purchased the new Black Track Turbos had switched back to their old Black Tracks. Whether that was due to performance or something else, I don't know, but it was interesting nonetheless.
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #52
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerambulator View Post
Just as a follow up, I switched back to my F1 G13s from the Atom Burns, and it was a night and day difference in feel and speed. The Burns always felt like I was skating in molasses. The G13s rolled forever and weren't nearly as slippery as I remember from before. I was skating laps 5-6 full seconds faster last night with the G13s. So while G13s aren't the best wheel, they're definitely not the worst, even after I used them for a bunch of outdoor races last year.

I noticed a couple guys who had purchased the new Black Track Turbos had switched back to their old Black Tracks. Whether that was due to performance or something else, I don't know, but it was interesting nonetheless.
I going to be skating on the WRW Truth (bont black-ops) there, ill have both 85A, and 88A... I think ill be skating on the 88A, as there really is no sprint just a high speed pace. Im probably going to be bring a few sets for purchase too.

Ill be setting up appointments soon for castings for custom boots also, and anythign else I need to bring for sizing etc..
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote