S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
WonderGirl

Default Battle at Bear Creek - Houston, TX 11/3

Battle at Bear Creek
Bear Creek Park Houston, TX
Sullins Way loop
Saturday, November 3, 2012
Race time: 8 AM to 12:00 PM

The races

All races will be held on a one-way counter clockwise run loop that is 0.75 mile/1200 meter flat asphalt approximately 20 feet wide. There is one large sweeping left turn leading into the finish area and one smooth tight left hand turn on the north end of the loop.

Events to be offered: Sprint, Middle, Distance 11000010
· Sprint: 300m
· Middle 10k - 6.2 miles = 8 laps + 322 meters
· Distance 10 mile = 13 laps + 400 meters
· Kids race 1 lap - 0.75 mile
· Quads race 1 lap - 0.75 mile
Categories offered:
Pro (all ages 12 and up) Male, Female - Top 3 male and female
*Pro Master 35+
Open – age groups – Top 3 male and female each age group
· 12 - 17
· 18 - 34
· 35 – 49
· 50 +
· *65+
· * Quad Race - Top male & female
· 11 and under Kids race – Top 3 boys and girls
*Category requires minimum of 7 entries to be created. Example - if 7 men but 2 women qualify and want to race pro masters, a men’s group will be given their own category. 5 more women would need register for their own category.
· Second place – 7 points
· Third place – 3 points
· All participants – 1 point
· MINUS three (- 3) points for skipping an event
· Tie goes to middle distance event

Races will be rain or shine. Lightning will cause delay. Flooding of the loop (which is very rare but can be possible after an entire week of daily downpours) will turn the event into a group skate through the remaining dry parts of the park. Due to the nature of putting on inline races of this nature where most costs are non-refundable and paid well in advance no refunds due to Mother Nature’s fury will be possible. It is all part of “life happens”. We will do everything in our power to host the event on time as scheduled. Early November hosts typically very favorable weather in Houston both in terms of precipitation and temperatures.

Timing

Timing will be a matless timing system by SplitMaster. The 10k and 10 mile will start on a line separate from the finish line to get correct distance. This means times for these two races will start at GUN TIME. This means timing for all chips will start at the same time. You will be wearing the same electronic chip around your ankle for all three races. It will read each of your laps, HOWEVER, SKATERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING CORRECT COUNT OF THEIR LAPS. It is perfectly acceptable, encouraged, to have a spectator you trust to help you keep track during the longer races. DO NOT CROSS THE TIMING LINE AT ANY NON RACE TIME. DO NOT AT ANY TIME TURN AROUND AND GO AGAINST SKATING TRAFFIC. Doing so will create serious problems with your times and can ruin your placement. If you do not wish to circle the loop to cool down after a race there is a sidewalk to the left of the course that runs to the center of the loop/restrooms then back to before the start line. There are many smooth nice roads in the park to warm-up. Skate wisely on these roads. Signal to autos, keep eyes open for pedestrians including young kids, and be prepared to stop at stop signs.

Helmets are required to race. NO EXCEPTIONS. Wrist, elbow, and knee are strongly encouraged. NO headphones of any kind will be permitted during the 10k and 10 mile race. WE WILL BE CHECKING. You will not be allowed to race with headphones. If you are found to be racing with headphones in one or both ears, even if you did not have the device turn on, you will be disqualified and NO REFUND of any kind.

Day of race

Sunrise is 7:30 AM. Park opens before sunrise. You will need to arrive BEFORE sunrise. Day of race registration will begin about 6:30 AM. It will close at 7:30 AM firm. The timing company needs 30 minutes between last registration and the first race. Hence NO EXCEPTIONS will be possible. Awards will be held following the last race after timing is complete and points have been tallied after 12:00 noon.

Houston

Houston has two major airports. Bush Intercontinental (IAH) to the north and Hobby (HOU) to the south. It is approximately a 2 hour drive from Austin's main airport and 3-4 hours from Dallas/Ft. Worth. Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States.

Park Location and Information

Bear Creek Park is on the west side of Houston approximately 15 miles from the downtown area.

Directions to the park:

PDF Map http://www.harriscountytx.gov/CmpDoc...dout%20Map.pdf

Note the speed limits in the park at 20-25 mph. You can park anywhere in the park. If you choose to park on the loop understand your auto(s) will NOT be able to depart until the races are complete. Police will have the loop blocked from 8 AM to 12:00 noon. There are many parking spaces skating distance and easy walk to the race loop. The loop does have picnic tables and charcoal grills. All are welcome to use them to make a picnic of the day and can stay all day even after the races are complete. There are several playground areas for children throughout the park in addition to a small zoo and other amenities. There is a permanent men’s and women’s restroom facility in the center of the loop that can be accessed on skates. There are two large covered pavilions with benches and tables.

For out of state folks please note that Beltway 8 is a toll road. There are attendants in which to pay cash if your auto is not equipped with a TXtag. This is a commonly used convenient highway from Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) on the north side of town to access the 4 corners of the city including the west side.

From the West: I-10 to Eldridge Parkway North (EXIT then left turn to under I-10 bridge). Continue North approximately 2.5 miles to a left turn at light onto War Memorial Drive. !NOTE 20mph speed limit throughout most the park! Pass the mini zoo on left to LEFT turn onto Sullins Way. Follow to race site parking.

Or using Hwy 6 from I-10. Highway 6 North approximately 2 miles to Patterson Road. Right at light onto Patterson road. Left onto Bear Creek Drive. Right onto S. Golbow Drive. (Note this road is a loop that connects again to Bear Creek Dr a short distance further to the north.) Right onto Brandt Drive which will lead you to Sullins Way and race site to the right on Sullins.
From the East: I-10 to Eldridge Parkway North (EXIT then right turn onto Eldridge Parkway). Continue North approximately 2.5 miles to a left turn at light onto War Memorial Drive. !NOTE 20mph speed limit throughout most the park! Pass the mini zoo on left to left turn onto Sullins Way. Follow to race site parking.

From the Northwest: Coming into town on 290: Take ramp onto Sam Houston Tollway South ( To avoid toll, take Senate Rd/Beltway-8 exit from 290, and then turn right on Beltway-8 feeder road. Continue south then exit Clay Road.) Turn right on Clay Road. Continue straight, past lights at Brittmore and Eldridge Rds. Turn left onto War Memorial Drive at 3rd light. Drive past soccer fields, and turn right onto Sullins Way.

From the Northeast: Follow TOLL Beltway 8 around to the west side of the city. Exit at Clay Road. Turn right on Clay Road. Continue straight, past lights at Brittmore and Eldridge Rds. Turn left onto War Memorial Drive at 3rd light. Drive past soccer fields, and turn right onto Sullins Way.

From the South: Route yourself on to Interstate 10 and follow the directions listed with “From the East” as I-10 is South of the park. If from Hobby airport (Houston’s smaller major airport to the SE) during non-rush hour traffic take I-45 (The Gulf Freeway) north to 610 loop heading WEST to I-10. During rush hour it will be less chaotic to take TOLL Beltway 8 from I-45 (intersection is located just south of the airport) WEST to I-10.
Hotel information:

The zip code for the park is 77084
There are many hotels located along Interstate 10 and all kinds of price ranges. The intersection of I-10 and Hwy. 6 (one exit west of Eldridge off of 10) contains a cluster of hotels. There are no hotels of walking or safely skating to the park.
Highlight words is information to be verified.

Still in works:

An official race hotel to offer discount is in the works.

Friday - packet pick-up times. Expect it to be at the race site.

Any and all profits and monies raised during the event will go to a no-kill animal shelter.

List of sponsors

Precise entry fees. Expect them to be $55 early, $65 Oct. 15>, $75 day of race

Order of events. Sprint, Middle, Kids & Quads, Distance.

Gear Sale Table
We will have a table area for folks to bring new and used in good condition gear, skates, jerseys, suits, etc. to be put for sale at a price determined by the seller. A small amount will be collected from each sale to donate to non-profit animal shelter. So set your price accordingly

$5 – $24 = $1
$25 - $49 = $2
$50 - $99 = $3
$100+ + $5
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Jim

Freakin' awesome, Wonder Girl! My flight and hotel reservations are already booked. Now all I have left to do (other than training my butt off for this) is to sign up before the Oct. 15 price hike goes into effect, which I will do as soon as your website is up.

Thanks for putting this on and good luck in Berlin!

Also, lets not forget about the Houston Marathon (another great race) that takes place on Sunday, the day after Bear Creek. For those of you who did Northshore this year but have never done Houston, here's the comparison:

The first 5 miles of both races have heavenly smooth asphalt. The difference between Houston and Northshore is that the next 21.2 miles in Houston is also heavenly smooth asphalt.

Houston does not have a seemingly endless miles section of nothing but exposed aggregate for a road surface. Houston does not have a long scary section of traction grooves that could pull you down in a heartbeat at any time and turn you into a bloody mess (like me).

Don't get me wrong, Northshore is still a great race and I highly recommend it to anyone who can manage to view the lousy pavement sections as part of the challenge or part of the adventure. Plus Northshore has the ambience that keeps skaters coming back year after year.

But now, thanks to the Bear Creek crew, Houston has something else that Northshore doesn't, a full weekend of racing!

See you all there!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #3
WonderGirl

I would be more than happy to open up more categories if there are enough skaters to create it. This has been stated. I do want to host a quad race as well. Inliners who are signed up for the 3 race event may also enter the quad free of charge. Those only racing quad the fee will be $10pre/$15 day of. Same price for the kid’s race.

Tees to the first 60 registered. Custom designed jerseys for the overall category winners both pro and age group. If enough early reg. I will buy more tees. We are planning to purchase lightweight cotton. For those of us southern folks in humid climates, this makes sense. Images of the tee (in addition to photos of the race site/course and Garmin mapped link) are on the Facebook page for those who do FB.

As soon as early registration is open the price will be $55. The price was to increase on Oct. 15th to $65 after we host a mock race and outdoor racing clinic at the race site on the 13th. The increase date may be pushed to later depending on when the timing company has reg. ready to go. Yes Dan, Nancy, and I are as anxious for this as are the racers. I will post as soon as it is open.

Warning - Work may move me out of Texas before next year so if you are in driving distance I do not recommend using any excuse of "oh I am _____ so I will wait for next year". So to my dear local skate friends they will be threatened with a skater beating should they miss out this year.

Nancy is working on a host hotel and I will attack more sponsors once home. Current promised sponsors in no particular order:

Debbie Rice of Bont - wheels for winners and discount prices for future.
RollerBob.com/ZeroDrag/USAinlineracing.com - Wheels and bearings
UPS
Dan & Nancy O'Neill
SkateGrrl (me, Renee Coffman)
Randy Bowman & PyroApparel custom winner’s jerseys designed by award winning graphic artist.
Drew Lighthill
& more

Practice your starts. Practice you left turns.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #4
JeffK

Online registration is now available:

https://www.raceit.com/Register/?event=15245
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:52 PM   #5
WonderGirl

Thanks Jeff! You beat me to it.
Old October 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #6
WonderGirl

Default schedule

!This is a general outline! 8-12 is set but consider the day fluid much like an indoor meet.

0800 – 1200 course closed.
0800 – 0830 Sprints races (15 sec intervals. 4 skaters/min = 80 skaters can go in 20 minutes)
0830 – 0915 Admin time
0915 – 0955 10k race (Avgs times = Pros ~ 20 min. Advanced ~ 25 min, Fitness ~ 36min max.)
0955 – 1045 Admin & Kids and *Quad races
1015 Kids ...race (< 7 minutes)
1030 Quad race (<7 minutes)
1045 Call to line for 10 mile
1050 – 1150 10 Mile race (Skaters must finish in 1 hour. Must maintain avg. speed of 10mph)
1150 – 1200 Clear the roadway for traffic
1200 – 1300 Admin - Tear down, clean up, collet timing chips, record placements to prepare for award
1300 Awards
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #7
JeffK

Default Group Registration Discount

Renee wanted me to pass along that there is a discount available for group registrations. When registering 5 or more participants for the 3-Race event, the price is $45 per skater (single payment required).

The online registration cannot accommodate group registration w/discount, so you'll need to directly contact Renee Coffman to register.

This discount is only available until October 22, so act now.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8
WonderGirl

Online registration link reminder -
https://www.raceit.com/Register/?event=15245

Entry fee timeline:
Early entry till night Oct. 21st $55 (3 race Pro or Open)/$10 (Kids)/$10 (Quads).
Oct 22 - 31st $65/$10/$10
Online reg. closes midnight CST Oct. 31st.

Race weekend:
-Nov. 2nd at packet pick-up and host hotel. $75/$15/$15
-Nov. 3rd race morning 7:30 AM race morning $75/$15/$15
NO paperwork for entry will be accepted after 7:30 AM. The timing company needs 30 minutes to input data. First race start time is 8:00 AM.

The EARLY online early reg. fee charged by the online company is $4.50 for the 3 Race and $2.25 for Kids & Quads. I just found out Pro was being charged $65+$5 which was an unintentional mistake on behalf of the person who created that category online. If you have paid more than this in the past couple of days please notify me (Renee Coffman) ASAP for me to confirm this will the reg. folks and I will make sure you are reimbursed
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #9
WonderGirl

Goodies from Bont and eZeeFit are on their way for winners and random giveaway prizes among other fun stuff too. Must be present to win.
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #10
WonderGirl

I was trying to hold off till tomorrow to post this but after such a long semi-stressful day I want to share the GOOD news.

A skate friend has donated $ to be awarded to skaters. Here is how it will work:
- $75.00 to Fastest Lap Female & Male (any lap in either the 10k or 10mile). Award will be based on the official splits from the results of SplitMaster timing company. So pick a lap and give it your all.
- $50.00 to Fastest 300m Female & Male during the 300m TT (first race of the morning)
Currently this totals $250 mostly from skater donation and some from B@BC.

Skaters, parents, and coaches should feel free to add to the pot and egg on donations from each other, sponsors, and spectators as this is common prime fun and interaction in crit loop style events. All money that is raised for this purpose will be divided equally among these four skaters.
~Renee
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #11
WonderGirl

Battle at Bear Creek is proud to support CAP - Citizens for Animal Protection. A no-kill animal shelter that through wonderful dedicated volunteers and staff have grown from a tiny old office in a strip mall to a beautiful new building dedicated to care and adopting out a wide variety of our extended furry and not so furry family members.

http://www.cap4pets.org/

How you can help while helping yourself- we will have a gear sale table. Bring your old and not so old skate gear, skates, wheels, boots, frames, clean suits, training gear, working bearings, whatever skate stuff you have and would rather have $ for it, we will have envelopes for you to mark your name and price for your gear. In exchage if your item(s) sell a small amount from each sale will be donated.

$5 – $24 = $1 collected
$25 - $49 = $2
$50 - $99 = $3
$100+ + $5

A friend has talked me into offering a 200m “LittleOnes” race for the very young kids. No entry fee and not timed but I ask bring your young energetic cuties and $5 donation to go to CAP and all the LittleOnes will get a finisher ribbon. Parents will be on hand to help them at the start line and along their way to the finish line.
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #12
WonderGirl

Announced by Debbie Rice on FB yesterday:
"It has been confirmed, Bont USA's Justin Stelly will be racing Battle at Bear Creek, along with his brother Jordin. ..." followed by "and.... 12 time world champ Cheryl Ezzell is coming!!!"

Last edited by WonderGirl; October 21st, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
WonderGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:51 PM   #13
WonderGirl

Reminder that today Sunday the 21st is the last day for early registration prices. Price for the 3 race combo will increase $10 + $0.50 greater fee) at 12 midnight tonight. I think CST but I am not positive. So get in and register. For folks attending the Veloway training race and/or the indoor meet in Austin, TX on the 27 & 28th you can register with me in person. 3 combo will be at the higher price but you will save on cost of online fee.
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
WonderGirl

Demo for the custom designed winners jerseys has arrived and was debuted in Austin, TX this past weekend. Non-champion versions will be available for purchase for $50 shipping inluded. Will try to post a photo later once other items are complete for the day. Jerseys are long zipper, short sleeved, quality wicking fabric, 3 back pockets, made by PyroApparel.

Renee
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #15
WonderGirl

All that folks need to know and more... final version.

Battle at Bear Creek
Bear Creek Park Houston, TX
Sullins Way loop
Saturday, November 3, 2012
Race time: 8 AM to 12:00 PM

The races
All races will be held on a one-way counter clockwise run loop that is 0.75 mile/1200 meter flat asphalt approximately 20 feet wide. There is one large sweeping left turn leading into the finish area and one smooth tight left hand turn on the north end of the loop.

Events to be offered:
  1. • 3 Race Combo – Sprint, Middle, Distance
  2. o Sprint 300m
  3. o Middle 10k - 6.2 miles = 8 laps + 322 meters
  4. o Distance 10 mile = 13 laps + 400 meters
  5. • Kids race 1 lap - 0.75 mile/1200m
  6. • Quads race 1 lap - 0.75 mile/1200m
  7. • Little Ones race – 200m Untimed event for very young kids with no skate background and toy skates. No entry fee but we ask a $5 donation for CAP animal shelter.
Categories offered:~ Pro (all ages 12 and up) Male, Female - Top 3 male and female
**Pro Master 35+
~ Open – age groups – Top 3 male and female each age group
• 12 - 17
• 18 - 34
• 35 – 49
• 50 +
• **65+
• ** Quad Race - Top male & female
• 11 and under Kids race – Top 3 boys and girls
**Category requires minimum of 7 entries to be created. Example - if 7 men but 2 women qualify and want to race pro masters, a men’s group will be given their own category. 5 more women would need register for their own category.
Registration
• Online https://www.raceit.com/Register/?event=15245
• In-Person race weekend at race site Friday 3 PM to 7 PM and at Host Hotel 6 PM – 9 PM. Saturday morning 6 AM to 7:30 AM. See below for hotel information. Checks and cash for In Person.

Event Gear
 Event tees will be given to the first 60 3 Race Combo skaters. Any remaining tees will be offered to Kids and Quads registrants for $8 each. Finally any non-registrant may buy one for $13.00
 Jerseys – Overall Pro Male, Pro Female, **Pro Master Male/Female, and top OPEN male and female will get a short sleeve Champion jersey sponsored by Randy Bowman & PYROApparel. We will have a demo jersey on hand and samples for sizing. Winners will get an order form to fill out and have the jersey of their preferred sized mailed to them.
 Non-Champion B@BC jerseys can be purchased via order form at the event. $50 includes shipping. They include long zippers, high quality moisture wick fabric, 3 back pockets, and your choice of elastic or hemmed bottom.

Points for the 3 race combo event to determine overall category winners
• First place – 15 points
• Second place – 7 points
• Third place – 3 points
• All participants – 1 point
• MINUS three (- 3) points for skipping an event
• Tie goes to middle distance event
Races will be rain or shine. Flooding of the loop (which is very rare but can be possible after an entire week of daily downpours) will turn the event into a group skate through the remaining dry parts of the park. Due to the nature of putting on inline races of this nature where most costs are non-refundable and paid well in advance no refunds due to Mother Nature’s fury will be possible. It is all part of “life happens”. We will do everything in our power to host the event on time as scheduled. Early November hosts typically very favorable weather in Houston both in terms of precipitation and temperatures.
Cross category and gender drafting is allowed.

Timing
You will pick up your chips Saturday morning. Timing will be a matless timing system by highly dependable SplitMaster Timing. The 10k and 10 mile will start on a line separate from the finish line to get correct distance. This means times for these two races will start at GUN TIME; timing for all chips will start at the same time. You will be wearing the same electronic chip around your ankle for all three races. It will read each of your laps, HOWEVER, SKATERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING CORRECT COUNT OF THEIR LAPS. It is perfectly acceptable, encouraged, to have a spectator you trust to help you keep track during the longer races. We will have a lap counter for the lead skater/pack. If you are lapped by the leader(s) the lap counter does not tell you your remaining number of laps. DO NOT CROSS THE TIMING LINE OR COME CLOSE TO THE WIRE AT ANY NON RACE TIME. DO NOT AT ANY TIME TURN AROUND AND GO AGAINST SKATING TRAFFIC! Doing so will be extremely dangerous – we will yell at you - create serious problems with your times and will ruin your placement. If you do not wish to circle the loop to cool down after a race there is a sidewalk to the left of the course that runs to the center of the loop/restrooms then back to before the start line. Do not run across the course while racers are coming. There are many smooth nice roads in the park to warm-up. Skate wisely on these roads. Signal to autos, keep eyes open for pedestrians including young kids, and be prepared to stop at stop signs. RETURN YOUR TIMING CHIPS AFTER YOUR FINAL RACE.
Helmets are required to race. NO EXCEPTIONS. Wrist, elbow, and knee are strongly encouraged. NO headphones of any kind will be permitted during the 10k and 10 mile race. WE WILL BE CHECKING. You will not be allowed to race with headphones. If you are found to be racing with headphones in one or both ears, even if you did not have the device turn on, you will be disqualified and NO REFUND of any kind.

Packet Pick-up
Friday at race site 3 PM to 7 PM
Saturday at race site 6 AM to 7:30 AM
Friday – Only Registration at host hotel 6 PM – 9 PM. No packets will be at host hotel unless prior arraignments are made.

Day of race
Sunrise is 7:30 AM. Park opens before sunrise. You will need to arrive BEFORE sunrise. Day of race registration will begin about 6:30 AM. It will close at 7:30 AM firm. The timing company needs 30 minutes between last registration and the first race. Hence NO EXCEPTIONS will be possible. Awards will be held following the last race after timing is complete and points have been tallied after 12:00 noon.

Schedule of Events
!This is a general outline! 8-12 is set but consider the day fluid! Skaters must be prepared to be ready ahead of time for the kids and distance races if we are able to run ahead of schedule.

0800 – 1200 course closed - FIRM
0800 – 0830 Sprint race 300m (15 sec intervals. 4 skaters/min = 80 skaters can go in 20 minutes)
0830 – 0915 Admin time
0915 – 0955 Middle 10k race (Avg. times = Pros ~ 20 min. Advanced ~ 25 min, Fitness ~ 36min max.)
0955 – 1045 Admin & Kids and **Quad races
1005 – Little Ones 200m
1015 - Kids race (< 7 minutes)
1030 - Quad race (<7 minutes)
1045 - Call to line for 10 mile
1050 – 1145 Distance 10 Mile race (Skaters must finish in 45mi. Must maintain avg. speed of over 10mph)
1050 – 1055 100m Skater vs. Cyclist
1150 – 1200 Clear the roadway for traffic, tear down timing equipment
1200 – 1300 Admin - Tear down, clean up, collet timing chips, record placements to prepare for award
1300 Awards

Park Location and Information
Bear Creek Park is on the west side of Houston approximately 15 miles from the downtown area.
Directions to the park:
PDF Map http://www.harriscountytx.gov/CmpDoc...dout%20Map.pdf

Note the speed limits in the park at 20-25 mph. You can park anywhere in the park. If you choose to park on the loop understand your auto(s) will NOT be able to depart until the races are complete. Police will have the loop blocked from 8 AM to 12:00 noon. There are many parking spaces skating distance and easy walk to the race loop. The loop does have picnic tables and charcoal grills. All are welcome to use them to make a picnic of the day and can stay all day even after the races are complete. There are several playground areas for children throughout the park in addition to a small zoo and other amenities. There is a permanent men’s and women’s restroom facility in the center of the loop that can be accessed on skates. There are two large covered pavilions with benches and tables.

Hotel information
Host hotel – Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston I-10 West/Energy Corridor
15111 Katy Freeway • Houston, Texas 77094 USA
$65 per night
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...2&app=resvlink
The zip code for the park is 77084
There are many hotels located along Interstate 10 and all kinds of price ranges. The intersection of I-10 and Hwy. 6 (one exit west of Eldridge off of 10) contains a cluster of hotels. There are no hotels of walking or safely skating to the park.

Gear Sale Table
We will have a table area for you all to bring new and used in good condition gear, skates, jerseys, suits, etc. to be put for sale at a price determined by the seller. A small amount will be collected from each sale to donate to non-profit animal shelter. So set your price accordingly and bring $ to buy training and race equipment.

$5 – $24 = $1 donation
$25 - $49 = $2
$50 - $99 = $3
$100+ = $5

Houston
Houston has two major airports. Bush Intercontinental (IAH) to the north and Hobby (HOU) to the south. It is approximately a 2 hour drive from Austin's main airport and 3-4 hours from Dallas/Ft. Worth. Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States.

For out of state folks please note that Beltway 8 is a toll road. There are attendants in which to pay cash if your auto is not equipped with a TXtag. This is a commonly used convenient highway from Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) on the north side of town to access the 4 corners of the city including the west side.

From the West: I-10 to Eldridge Parkway North (EXIT then left turn to under I-10 bridge). Continue North approximately 2.5 miles to a left turn at light onto War Memorial Drive. !NOTE 20mph speed limit throughout most the park! Pass the mini zoo on left to LEFT turn onto Sullins Way. Follow to race site parking.

Or using Hwy 6 from I-10. Highway 6 North approximately 2 miles to Patterson Road. Right at light onto Patterson road. Left onto Bear Creek Drive. Right onto S. Golbow Drive. (Note this road is a loop that connects again to Bear Creek Dr a short distance further to the north.) Right onto Brandt Drive which will lead you to Sullins Way and race site to the right on Sullins.

From the East: I-10 to Eldridge Parkway North (EXIT then right turn onto Eldridge Parkway). Continue North approximately 2.5 miles to a left turn at light onto War Memorial Drive. !NOTE 20mph speed limit throughout most the park! Pass the mini zoo on left to left turn onto Sullins Way. Follow to race site parking.

From the Northwest: Coming into town on 290: Take ramp onto Sam Houston Tollway South ( To avoid toll, take Senate Rd/Beltway-8 exit from 290, and then turn right on Beltway-8 feeder road. Continue south then exit Clay Road.) Turn right on Clay Road. Continue straight, past lights at Brittmore and Eldridge Rds. Turn left onto War Memorial Drive at 3rd light. Drive past soccer fields, and turn right onto Sullins Way.

From the Northeast: Follow TOLL Beltway 8 around to the west side of the city. Exit at Clay Road. Turn right on Clay Road. Continue straight, past lights at Brittmore and Eldridge Rds. Turn left onto War Memorial Drive at 3rd light. Drive past soccer fields, and turn right onto Sullins Way.

From the South: Route yourself on to Interstate 10 and follow the directions listed with “From the East” as I-10 is South of the park. If from Hobby airport (Houston’s smaller major airport to the SE) during non-rush hour traffic take I-45 (The Gulf Freeway) north to 610 loop heading WEST to I-10. During rush hour it will be less chaotic to take TOLL Beltway 8 from I-45 (intersection is located just south of the airport) WEST to I-10.
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:12 AM   #16
WonderGirl

"Bont's Justin Stelly will be casting skaters for custom Bont boots Friday at the host hotel. 3 appointments so far, 1 casting kit left - who wants it? Contact debbie@bont.com"
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Jim

High of 82 and sunny for Saturday, and 78 with possibility of rain wheels for Sunday.

It's 33 right now where I'm at with a high today expected to be in the 40's. The Houston heat is going to kill me. I'm thinking of turning the heat up in my house and doing slideboard workouts to acclimate for this.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:30 PM   #18
WonderGirl

Ha ha ha. Well the mornings are still nice and cool. Hopefully the rain will stay away till Monday.

Renee
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #19
WonderGirl

http://www.splitmastertiming.com/res...12-results.htm

Official results. We had some serious speed demons, especially in the 300m. Check out Justin Stelly's average speed. Smokin'.

Double the numbers and lower times for next year.

~Renee
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #20
WonderGirl

Links to some photo albums.

https://www.facebook.com/BattleAtBea...5865722&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/BattleAtBea...5794621&type=1

Renee