S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 25th, 2018, 06:37 PM   #1
kcire10

Default New Skate Set Up Review

Hello All,

I just wanted to give a rundown on my new setup: Edea Classica boot w/ Roll Line Dance Plate.

I picked em up yesterday and made it out to the rink in time to test them out. I have to say I didnít expect the setup to roll this good! Itís way lighter than my 220s with the Suregrip Super Deluxe plate and a lot more stable. I skated hard last night but didnít feel fatigued in my legs (That usually happens with my 220 setup when I skate hard). The boot is very comfortable, and it took me no time at all to break them in. As for plate performance, well, letís just say Iím amazed. The response is immediate, and I feel very stable when I play the edges. Performing tricks and spins and such were easy once I got a handle on the plate response. Because I have a bit smaller plate on the boot (size 160 plate, 290mm boot) the front wheels are a little more under the balls of my feet. I'll get used to this in no time. I did notice that while doing one-leg toe spins, I felt more in control then I did with my other skates. Even though the floor at this rink is very slippery, I managed to maintain complete control, as the plates seem to want to stay right up under me. At times, I played around to see if I could force myself to fall and most of the time, I wouldn't come close (I sometimes do this to test the limits of the setup at the time I'm skating).

The next couple of times out, my skating sessions will be geared towards really pushing the plates, learning the edges, practicing and adding more to my routines/moves, and loosening up the trucks a click here and there to see how they perform and what I'm comfortable with.
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 12:03 AM   #2
Ancient1

The super deluxe is the plate I skated on in the 70's and they are great. I had the 220 boots and went through various wheels. While on those plates I felt that not even a football team could knock me down. Very solid...
Old October 26th, 2018, 02:08 PM   #3
kcire10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
The super deluxe is the plate I skated on in the 70's and they are great. I had the 220 boots and went through various wheels. While on those plates I felt that not even a football team could knock me down. Very solid...
They are solid but heavy. Sometimes after skating hard, my left knee would be sore and my legs would be tired. I've only skated on the Roll Lines one session and I feel the difference. I don't have to force moves, I glide into them. I did things so much quicker and easier all I could do was smile. The new boot and plate together seems to be lighter than the super deluxe plate by itself. I'll be back out on Sunday night to see what I can really do.
Old November 6th, 2018, 02:56 AM   #4
larryoracing

Smile I'm really excited you posted on your skates.

I have been looking at the Roll line Classica boot. i was told this was Roll Line's attempt to build a boot like the Riedell 297.

I would really like to buy a pair of those boots. ...the Roll Line Classica.

1) I recently put my Synder "Royal" plates together with the Berry boot. It is the figure/freestyle boot with the dance inner soles and padding.

I use this set up for Dance and I really like it. I have jumped on this setup but I really want a lot more stiffer boot for freestyle.

I'm just going to say I like this setup. I use the softest red cushions. The Royal Plates come with the more modern conical cushions. Also my plates are the more expensive setup with titanium axels and king pins. this plate cost 550 dollars and like I say I love this set up.

The Synder Royal actions is a straight up pivot pins as opposed to the slanted Roll Line. The roll line gives more action but the action on the Royal is less and that is not all bad. i call it sweet. Sometimes less is more.

I would encouage all to use this setup. But the Roll line plate is superior if you want deep edges.

The Berry boot is fine, but i still want a more traditional high top boot like a Riedell 297. For American Dance the more support the better. International skating I think the Berry boot will be more suited. But it is not bad. I just think I could benefit with a little more support like the Roll Line Classica?

LOL.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 04:02 AM   #5
kcire10

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I have been looking at the Roll line Classica boot. i was told this was Roll Line's attempt to build a boot like the Riedell 297.

I would really like to buy a pair of those boots. ...the Roll Line Classica.

1) I recently put my Synder "Royal" plates together with the Berry boot. It is the figure/freestyle boot with the dance inner soles and padding.

I use this set up for Dance and I really like it. I have jumped on this setup but I really want a lot more stiffer boot for freestyle.

I'm just going to say I like this setup. I use the softest red cushions. The Royal Plates come with the more modern conical cushions. Also my plates are the more expensive setup with titanium axels and king pins. this plate cost 550 dollars and like I say I love this set up.

The Synder Royal actions is a straight up pivot pins as opposed to the slanted Roll Line. The roll line gives more action but the action on the Royal is less and that is not all bad. i call it sweet. Sometimes less is more.

I would encouage all to use this setup. But the Roll line plate is superior if you want deep edges.

The Berry boot is fine, but i still want a more traditional high top boot like a Riedell 297. For American Dance the more support the better. International skating I think the Berry boot will be more suited. But it is not bad. I just think I could benefit with a little more support like the Roll Line Classica?

LOL.
I've heard some people who have the 297 love it and others hate it. I've never had a pair but may get em down the road. I'm not sure if your plates are heavy but mine are. The Classica boot is nice and super comfortable(moreso than my 220s). They are light and solid (the boot is not the stiffest but Edea have other boots that are). The plate is a compliment to the boot. I skated Sunday night and I was doing a lot of moves on the fly, pulling them off to my surprise.

I'm still experimenting with different moves and pushing to see what the plates can do. I have the medium cushions (clear blue) but loosened up the trucks for more maneuverability. Every session is an event as I add more to what I'll try. The main difference I see between this setup and my other setup is the Roll Line plates want to stay under me whereas I have to often force/catch the Sure Grips to do so. Plus, this new setup is so light I barely do much to perform moves. My other setup had me forcing moves at times and sometimes I didnt get the results I wanted. The Sure Grip plates are super sturdy and stable but heavy. The Roll Lines are the same except lighter.
Old November 6th, 2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Oicusk82huh

Thanks for keeping us posted. I think we were going through the process of finding new skates at the same time. I hope you don't mind if I share my experience here too.

I chose the Riedell 172 with the Mistral plate. It gave me superior edge control, balance and spins. It almost felt like cheating. Immediately I could do 3 turns in the opposite direction, which I could not do on my old skates.

I switched that plate. The only thing I found unsatisfactory on that frame was the toe plug. I feel that even the metal mount of the jam plug was too big. I like doing exaggerated matrix/grapevines and toe spins, so I felt that it was a handicap, I'm telling you, it is a BIG mount. I had it switched out for the Giotto Plate. It is exactly the same plate, but without the toe plug. The 172 boot is very comfortable and allows for more control because it is a little stiffer, but not too stiff. Because the boot is stiffer, it responds better so I don't have to lace it up past the ankle. I like the increased flexibility/responsiveness.

I have the size 160 plate on a size 7 boot. You have a size 160 plate on the size 9 boot. Can you tell us more about that? How did you decide to try that? I had wanted to do that at one point, but chickened out. I've noticed that a lot of skaters have a similar build and they love it. Do you ever feel unbalanced? What size was your Sure Grip plate? Sorry for annoying questions.

Sometimes I hug my skates when no one is looking.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 09:48 PM   #7
kcire10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Thanks for keeping us posted. I think we were going through the process of finding new skates at the same time. I hope you don't mind if I share my experience here too.

I chose the Riedell 172 with the Mistral plate. It gave me superior edge control, balance and spins. It almost felt like cheating. Immediately I could do 3 turns in the opposite direction, which I could not do on my old skates.

I switched that plate. The only thing I found unsatisfactory on that frame was the toe plug. I feel that even the metal mount of the jam plug was too big. I like doing exaggerated matrix/grapevines and toe spins, so I felt that it was a handicap, I'm telling you, it is a BIG mount. I had it switched out for the Giotto Plate. It is exactly the same plate, but without the toe plug. The 172 boot is very comfortable and allows for more control because it is a little stiffer, but not too stiff. Because the boot is stiffer, it responds better so I don't have to lace it up past the ankle. I like the increased flexibility/responsiveness.

I have the size 160 plate on a size 7 boot. You have a size 160 plate on the size 9 boot. Can you tell us more about that? How did you decide to try that? I had wanted to do that at one point, but chickened out. I've noticed that a lot of skaters have a similar build and they love it. Do you ever feel unbalanced? What size was your Sure Grip plate? Sorry for annoying questions.

Sometimes I hug my skates when no one is looking.
You're not annoying me with any questions lol. It does feel like I'm cheating because doing things on this setup is a lot easier than on my other setup.

My Super Deluxe plates are a size 11. For the new build, I first ordered the 180 size plate and they were too long for my liking. I was gonna order the 170's but I talked to the guy at the Five Stride and he stated that the 160's would be better for rhythm skating because the front truck is positioned more up under the ball of my foot giving me more stability and movement response-wise. I can feel the difference especially when doing spins and pivot moves.

I never feel unbalanced when I skate them. If anything they seem more balanced than my other plates. The only thing I had to get use to was not leaning forward too much because it seemed like I would fall over. This was because I was use to plates that positioned my front wheels forward more. Now I'm used to them so I don't have that problem anymore.

As for the toe stops, I take em off. They came with the small toe plugs but they get in the way when I do some tricks so I took em off. I initially wanted to get the Roll Line Ring plates (same exact plate as the Dance except there is no toe stop mount) but they didn't have the size I wanted once I returned the 180 plates for a swap so I had to get the dance.
Old November 7th, 2018, 07:32 AM   #8
Oicusk82huh

So, does anyone here know why Roll Line discontinued the Ring plate? I have the Matrix on my other set of skates. I think the Matrix may be more similar to the Dance and the Ring than to the Giotto.

Anyone have experience with that? Now that I'm thinking about it, the Ring does seem perfect for rhythm skating.

The cushions on the Matrix are smaller than the Giotto and the Mistral. I'd say it spins better. But again, the toe stopper definitely kept it from being my favorite.

On the matrix I do notice that the metal mount for the toe stopper/jam plug is smaller than the one on the mistral, but I guess it would have to be, due to the decreased cushion size (and lower center of gravity?).

So I guess I'm just wondering why Roll Line discontinued the Ring. Any thoughts?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 11:15 AM   #9
rwsz

sounds like a good setup for you. glad it worked out and hope it stays that way. good skating
Old November 12th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #10
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
So, does anyone here know why Roll Line discontinued the Ring plate?
The Ring and all other no-toe-stop-plates are intended for figure skating. Not the most popular discipline in artistic skating. in addition the Ring were so turny, that they were recommended especially for paragraph loops. So no skater wanted to have thrre pair of skates, for artistic, for figure and in addition for paragraph loops within figure skating. Another reason could be, that the plates were really cheap. almost $200 cheaper than the Dance plates, with same effort for manufacturing. Low numbers and small marging kill a product.

Last edited by jbgerman; November 13th, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 06:42 AM   #11
larryoracing

Smile I have to agree the machining was very complicated on this plate.

They came out with the Spin plate with a lot less machining. The Ring plate looked just like the Roll Line "Dance" plate without the toe stop mount.

I love this skate. It is my choice for figures. It's not as turney at a Dance plate.

Larry O and have a great day! There is a lady on the Skater Exchange selling a few of these plates if you are interested.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 12:59 PM   #12
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
They came out with the Spin plate with a lot less machining. The Ring plate looked just like the Roll Line "Dance" plate without the toe stop mount.

I love this skate. It is my choice for figures. It's not as turney at a Dance plate.

Larry O and have a great day! There is a lady on the Skater Exchange selling a few of these plates if you are interested.
I have two pairs. My current favorite is the "Killer", Evo plates with the usual Roll Line large cushion and trucks, not the Matrix-design like in the Evo. I cut the toe-stop stem to make it "no-toe-stop".
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote