S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Slimyfrog
Grandmaster Beginner

Default Inline wheels for outdoor fitness skating

I'm looking to replace a set of 90mm wheels. I mostly skate on outdoor trails on average/rough asphalt. The stock wheels just don't feel right. They feel too squishy (I'm > 200lbs) and they are incredibly slippery on wet.
Getting racing wheels seems over the top at this juncture, but it's an alternative (Madder maybe?) Makes me feel a bit like a guy that just got his license and decides to buy a ferrari.
Regardless, I skate 4 to 5 times a week (50 - 60 miles) so I wouldn't mind the expense (investment?) or spending an equivalent amount on a good set of outdoorsy, fitness wheels.
Outside of racing wheels, pickings seem to be slim in this size. Rollerblade makes some, but I worry about replacing stock wheels with other stock wheels.
Thank you in advance for sharing experiences/suggestions.
Slimyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
adrianm

Check out inlinewarehouse.com. They have some really good prices on some older closeout MPC race wheels.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-MSF100.html

These Street Fight wheels are grippy and fast. Look for the 85a version ther harder ones won't last longer just ride rougher.

As far as rain goes nothing works well on wet asphalt except the MPC Storm Surge wheels but they wear fast and are slow when it's dry. They aren't worth getting unless you have to race or skate in the rain often.

Last edited by adrianm; July 28th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
adrianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #3
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

Second the recommendation for the Street Fight - probably the best all around wheel still around in 90mm and they're good value at that price. Storm Surge is, as mentioned, the wet weather wheel par excellence - everyone used them in wet races no matter who their sponsor is. But the Street Fight is also very good in water vs. other wheels.

As far as speed goes, expect more with these on
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #4
adrianm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteen_psi View Post
Second the recommendation for the Street Fight - probably the best all around wheel still around in 90mm and they're good value at that price. Storm Surge is, as mentioned, the wet weather wheel par excellence - everyone used them in wet races no matter who their sponsor is. But the Street Fight is also very good in water vs. other wheels.

As far as speed goes, expect more with these on
How are the MPC VT wheels? I was going to pick up a set of 110mm to for training skates. At $9 each for 110's they would have to be really crappy to pass up.
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
How are the MPC VT wheels? I was going to pick up a set of 110mm to for training skates. At $9 each for 110's they would have to be really crappy to pass up.
I was never a huge fan as a road wheel for $17, but I seriously doubt there's a better wheel for $9 a piece.

I actually just ordered up 2 sets of them for indoor use on our horrible slip-n-slide floor. Outdoor wise, they gripped like mad when I tried them, but I was disappointed in roll vs. the yellow matter I liked at the time. I always felt they were too soft, too prone to going flexing and gripping rather than rolling at my weight (250lbs then).

Since then, I think the Road War is my favorite outdoor wheel, stiffer, with more roll, but still with that crazy grip when you put weight on it. If you're a bit lighter, the VT will probably work for you in a similar way. If you're my size, it's a very comfy wheel with unlimited grip, but not a roll monster. I'll use em indoor, and when they start to crack they'll get mixed in with the War's for grip outside.

edit
: To clarify, given the context of the thread: Both the Street Fight and VT will absolutely slaughter an OE fitness wheel in terms of roll too.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #6
adrianm

Thanks for the heads up. For training skates I don't care too much about roll. I don't race enough to have piles of used wheels for training and for the price I can't pass them up.
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Slimyfrog
Grandmaster Beginner

Thank you for the suggestions, guys. The street fight wheels sounded like what I was looking for and I ordered a set. I'll post my impressions once I had the chance to try them out.
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Slimyfrog
Grandmaster Beginner

Wow. I think they make the street fight wheels using magic and nifty sauce.
I am impressed. They feel (and are) harder than my previous wheels when standing and I expected a bumpier ride. Boy was I wrong! What I got was just the opposite. Much smoother ride, no leg-numbing vibrations in the usual sections, much more grip (Finally I have something to push against) and impressive roll.
A short section of the trail is smooth concrete while I expected a bit of slip and slide and they felt surprisingly... consistent.
I think I'm in love...
Thank you again for the suggestion!