S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #41
online inline

okay, but before you do, please allow me to clean up the diction a little bit:
'become the best skater i can between now and the finish of the event.'

Thanks.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #42
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
I want to wish you the best of luck on getting your time down and the race. It seems harder to lose time the more you skate. Looks like you have some expert advice being offered. Good Luck!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Ankle weights may help build strength, but in the little time you have, it is critical to spend as much time skating at, or faster than, the race pace you want to achieve. Rolling at a depressed speed from ankle weights is a slow process for improving. The quickest way to close the gap from where you are to where you want to be is to spend a steadily increasing amount of your skating time rolling at that race speed, or slightly faster than that race speed. Your body and mind must both get accustomed to the reality of you handling that speed. Shoot for an initial minimum of ~20% of your workout rolling at that speed, and then gradually kick it up to 33% then 50%. Once you can do 50% of a workout at your targeted new race speed goal, you are well on the way to handling that speed in an actual race.

-Armadillo
Working on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Sounds like those 'Shed 15 pounds in 25 days" miracle diets.
What's your hurry?
Is this the last race you'll ever get to compete in?
How's this for advice: you are approaching this all backwards. You are trying to develop basic skating skills and competence to suit a desired race outcome. Instead, how about making your race preperation and the race itself serve the larger purpose of developing your skating abilities and competence as a skater. Do the latter, and you will find that ongoing improvement takes care of itself, and every race and training session brings signs of improvement and development.
So, with the race in mind, use it to get as much progress as you can to becoming a great skater. That means, first off, not worrying about your finishing time, but worrying about skating the best race you are capable of, and learning as much as you can in the process. So, i would start by using your new skates intensively to learn to be comfortable on them, and how to use them effectively. This will involve some technique work and perhaps a little distance to get comfortable and break them in. The goal is to be ready to do the event in the new skates, so now you are using the race to further your progress in learning to skate speed boots.
Next, work on any problems, whatever they are. Who knows what they'll be, so how can we tell you? But get psyched to totally own this event, to be able to competently skate the 13 mi. with confidence and a little esteem. Get ready in all respects. Don't kill yourself trying to make some time that you picked out of a hat. Skate it so you leave everything on the course, finish most of it with good form, and you 'have no regrets', thank you, Apollo.
Ultimately, your goal should not be 'do _ _ at this event.' It should be 'become the best skater i can within now and the finish of the event.' Make the race serve your purposes, not the other way around. And if that's a little too optomistic, at least try to approach it as a win-win situation, where you work to smoke this race, and in doing so, you've furthered your long term skating goals.
Good luck. Sorry i came late to this discussion.
You are completely right. The approach should be "improve technique", a result of which should be improved time.

For the purpose of this thread (and/or race), officially the goal is 'cut 27 minutes'. I'm already down 18 minutes, but this is still a completely unrealistic goal for my current level of competence. The 18 minutes are probably due to the completely flat .29 mile loop I found and are thus not representative of real race conditions.

Unofficially, the goals (my base minimums) are four-fold:
  1. Don't die.
  2. Finish--see also #1.
  3. Come in ahead of the runners--you're on wheels for crying out loud.
  4. Skate kinda pretty.
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #43
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Hey OI, will a regular car tire work or does it have to be a tractor tire??? LOL!
(Weird ol' men want to know!)

I use some weights occassionally and head for the steep hills for increased resistance workouts. But preping for a race, intervals and technique. With 20 days left, 15 intervals focusing on speed for your 8 miles, a couple of rest days or light days mixed in as needed. The last 3 days very moderate to slow skates for 30 minutes focusing on relaxing, gliding and staying low. Race day warmup, the same.

Best wishes and YOU CAN DO IT! So, ...

LezSk8!
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #44
chaos4ever

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio -- where the wheezing just never goes away

You should be able to shave a few extra minutes off your previous time, as you'd have better cadence going in a straight line, instead of the super-curvy route you undertook that really limits your ability to go fast, especially if you don't have crossovers to help you out.

But, in my opinion, the most important thing to keep in mind to have fun with the skate. Don't make the time a huge deal, or the frustration will take away from the enjoyment.

By the way, the runners only do a 5K/10K, so there isn't much of a worry of being slower than them on the course
chaos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #45
Malcom

Okay just my constructive .02 for this thread.

Runners run hills to become stronger which is great because ultimately the stronger you are the better and potentially faster you will become. Strength and speed can go hand in hand.

Runners run slight declines to get faster. This is known as overspeed eccentrics. Obviously it is too late in the game this now as this should be a well planned out longer training cycle.

The last component is the delayed transformation stage. This will be when your body actually transforms to the better athlete. You can't get faster or stronger in 2 weeks. Before the next race map you out a plan and when you get to 3 weeks out taper back, 2 weeks back taper back even more, and the last week focus on restoration with massages, whirlpools, ice baths, etc. I promise you, you will perform better.

What I outlined above would be a cycle for a well in shape athlete-I don't know where your fitness levels are right now but if you are not middle of the pack or better this wouldn't apply to you so put it in the bank and save it for a rainy day.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #46
SmileySk8s

My race mantra is "Finish without Falling!" A fall will add precious minutes to my time, is my thought.

So to shave off time... at the start of the race, I skate hard and catch up to the fastest skater I can keep up with, and do that for the whole 13 miles.

Try to draft off them, it conserves 30% of your energy... to do this skate close enough behind the person to touch them and synch your stride to theirs. If you are nice you can alternate "pulling"... or not :P If you can, do practice on hills to power up them which is usually where skaters peeter out.
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #47
Armadillo

Default Lots of good tips - only one will work in the time you have

While lots of good tips are being posted here, the limited time you have rules them out.
Your main focus needs to be training your mind. The more miles you can roll at the targeted race speed between now and race day, the more likely your mind will come around to the idea that this is your new race pace. If we don"t initially "convince" our minds, they will rarely allow us a breakthrough to the next level of performance.

-Armadillo
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #48
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
While lots of good tips are being posted here, the limited time you have rules them out.
Your main focus needs to be training your mind. The more miles you can roll at the targeted race speed between now and race day, the more likely your mind will come around to the idea that this is your new race pace. If we don"t initially "convince" our minds, they will rarely allow us a breakthrough to the next level of performance.

-Armadillo
Well, race day is tomorrow, so I will visualize as much as possible...

Time to depart!
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #49
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

good luck)
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #50
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myuu View Post
Well, race day is tomorrow, so I will visualize as much as possible...

Time to depart!
Good luck even though you hate me for taking ephedra
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #51
pgick

Try to hookup with another skater to draft (paceline). Even if you split pulling 50/50 you can save a lot of effort fighting the wind. It will also add a challenge that can distract your mind off the pain.
I can increase my speed by 3-5 miles per hour over what I can do myself.
Just be aware that when you get close 24" or less you will feel like you are getting sucked along. The link below will explain how it is done in as few words as possible if you don't already know.
Good luck, have fun, report back!

http://www.inlineplanet.com/2006-03/16-guide2.html
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM   #52
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Shaved 14 minutes off total time and nearly a minute off my average pace. In my book, that's a win.

Race report to follow.

Edit: And by "14", I really mean "13". :P

Last edited by Myuu; August 21st, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Myuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM   #53
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Nice! Looking forward to the report.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:52 PM   #54
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
Good luck even though you hate me for taking ephedra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgick View Post
Try to hookup with another skater to draft (paceline). Even if you split pulling 50/50 you can save a lot of effort fighting the wind. It will also add a challenge that can distract your mind off the pain.
I can increase my speed by 3-5 miles per hour over what I can do myself.
Just be aware that when you get close 24" or less you will feel like you are getting sucked along. The link below will explain how it is done in as few words as possible if you don't already know.
Good luck, have fun, report back!

http://www.inlineplanet.com/2006-03/16-guide2.html
Thanks guys! And no, Malcom, I don't hate you at all for taking ephedra. I just want to make sure that people realize that their results may vary (significantly).
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM   #55
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm back in The Cleve! I put a race report over in the speed skating section, but to save you guys the extra effort, I've quoted it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myuu View Post
This race was an accompaniment to the Reynoldsburg, OH annual Tomato Festival, though I think they were keeping us away from the tomatoes... Temps were hovering in the 70s with clouds moving in for a little post-race thundergame.

If you want a quick set of summary data (for me at least), you'll find it here:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45515919

20 people came out for this race, myself included, the vast majority of which were speed skaters, though there were at least 3 people on rec skates and one person on quads (she came in 20 minutes ahead of me, if you're wondering). I did it on my shiny new Bont Jets (4x100)--their first time in a race.

You'll find the 12.2mi route in one of the earlier posts or in the summary data linked above.

The race was mostly on city (Main St., no less) and residential streets with one early segue on a bike trail. We'd be warned that this one in particular was a 'bad turn', but I didn't quite realize how bad until I rolled into someone's driveway instead. Around the same spot (after getting back on the trail, that is) I ended up coming up too fast on some people on rec skates (who ended up outpacing me by far--more on that later) and doing a bit of off-roading through grass (oops), though I managed not to wipe out (hooray~!).

Aside from my couple of off-track adventures, the route was fairly unremarkable with two notable exceptions:
  1. Main Street is a continuous, four-mile hill (albeit a low-grade one). Four miles of continuous hill. Four miles of continuous uphill. The seasoned speed skaters didn't seem to have any issues with this, nor did the people on rec skates. I... am not so good with hills. I think at some point I hit an amazing 2.9mph. Hills. Bad. I need to work on hills.
  2. Summit Road is in desperate need of repaving. Aaaaaaaaaawful. Just awful. If you're looking at the map, this is the road headed north on the eastern-most part of the route. There were short somewhat repaved stretches off on the edges of the road, but there was no respite there. Inexperienced though I am, I don't think I've ever heard skates rattle that much. I was beginning to think maybe I was about to lose an axle. Here it is the end of the day and I still have 8 of them, so I'm glad that worked out. It does make me wonder how much more of that the quad skater could feel. I know this would've been absolutely ridiculous in my 80mms....

While Main Street was a giant uphill on the way out East, it was a very welcoming downhill in the last 3 miles. I hit my max speed (ever) somewhere in there and it was good. Seriously.

My time ended up being (officially) 1:14:change with an average speed of 5.44mph. Both are big improvements over my last (and first!) half-marathon, so I am pleased.
As to form, that fell apart the minute I started getting into all-hill-all-the-time territory, and was briefly resurrected for some of the last two miles. I'll have to work on that too (don't we all?). I also noticed that somewhere around the end of that stretch on Main, I was everting the foot fairly consistently and beginning to toe-drag.

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out.

Future directions: I need to find some hills! Also, I think I've confirmed that while I am capable of doing half-marathon distances, I am only just barely so. I think it's time to start pouring on the distance in the time that's left before things start getting cold.

Conclusion:
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:27 PM   #56
online inline

Good job! You made it half way to your goal. Now, based on what you learned, what do you have to do to make it the rest of the way, and where do you want to go from there?

Your heart rate was quite high throughout- looks like you were giving it everything you had.

The finish line is just the start. Time to glean what you can from all the valuable feedback, develop your strategy going forward, and execute. That;s the way it works.

EDIT: posted before i read your write-up, read your finishing post on another thread, and followed the link to your posted GPS data.

Last edited by online inline; August 21st, 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: posted before i read your write-up
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:41 AM   #57
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Hey Myuu,

Congrats, nice time and excellent effort! You now have a baseline from which all future half marathons can be measured! Have you considered pulling a tire behind you when you skate?!
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:05 AM   #58
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
Hey Myuu,

Congrats, nice time and excellent effort! You now have a baseline from which all future half marathons can be measured! Have you considered pulling a tire behind you when you skate?!
Thanks!!

And no, but I have tried pushing an archery target while walking. It doesn't end well, I assure you.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:15 AM   #59
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Way to go!

S
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #60
asphalt piste

Good job Myuu! Nicely done...
asphalt piste is offline   Reply With Quote