S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 17th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #1
jojoman

Default newbie- pain in the sole.

guys,
I am a newbie in skating and bought myself a k2 moto84.

but the pain in my sole is killing me.
i try to buy new sole support but still no help.

any one experenice pain in sole when new in skating?

any advises will be useful

thank you,
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

sometimes, a new skater will clench or contract the muscles in the foot, causing muscle cramps in the foot. if this is your problem, you need to learn to relax the muscles.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #3
online inline

sometimes i get a pain in the sole if i lace up too tight.
or it could be becuase the boot is a bad fit - too tight?
Or the arch is often times not suited to your foot, as some boots have a high arch and some people are flat footed, or vice versa.
It's a tenuous marriage between your foot and your skates. Doesn;t sound like much of a honeymoon, either.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #4
jojoman

i did try to put arch suport but result same.

trick like A frame turn may cause pain because one has to exert pressure to right foot to do left turn.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #5
online inline

'back in the day' when local retail inline shops were not unheard of, you could get very good service by buying your skates from such a shop, they would give you an initial fitting, and they would follow it up one week later with adjustments, and a month later for further tweaking if necessary. They would also supply you with some rubber inserts, and adjust your frame based on how you skated (as determined by wheel wear). You can imagine, they could not compete with internet retailers, and our local shop went out of business. So now folks struggle on their own.
If you wonder why this old gummer is yammering on, it is simply to suggest that you would best get some good experienced advice, and if there's a shop or rink in your area where you can seek this out, i think you could benefit. It's impossible for someone to tell if your boot is fitting right without seeing it and talking to you.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #6
jojoman

online inline,
i did ask the retail shop assistant, their best answer was to buy sole support.

i did ask some ICP instructor, some say buy insole, some say bear with iy.

i think its something i need to figure out on my own.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #7
devlyn76
Time to skate!

jojoman - I used to suffer from unbearable pain that was not something one can just deal with and hope it goes away on it's own. But luckily it was fixable...

Three things to try:

Lace tension. Too tight might compress your foot, causing pain. It takes a while to find the proper balance between loose and tight but it's worth the effort. On my Moto 90s, if I can pull the laces up a couple mm where they cross, I'm good.

Top strap. The Motos allow you too crank that sucker down pretty tight. I was doing this, thinking I would get more stability. Nope - cut off circulation and had the pain happen yet again. Loosen strap and it goes away pretty much instantly.

Like Bill says, tension. Are you curling your toes, especially when pushing off or turning? When learning to skate, I used to tense up on turns.

Good luck!

-ben
devlyn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #8
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
sometimes, a new skater will clench or contract the muscles in the foot, causing muscle cramps in the foot. if this is your problem, you need to learn to relax the muscles.
We used to call this begginers arch, it is very common to tence up and get pain. I used to spend some time holding on to something and bending up and down and jumping a bit to get relaxed.
And if things are to tight it can cut off blood flow and get pain full.
In some skates I had to skip some lace holes (over the arch) to tack off pressure.
The idea is as tight as you can get them, WITH OUT PAIN!
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #9
jojoman

thank you guys for all your reply.

i will try to figure it our on my own

since started skating for three week, i lose 3kg or 6 pound....
LOL
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #10
jojoman

i use the wrong word.
not pain but sore

my feet sore like hell after 1 hour of skating...
but hi, i am overweight
it is getting better by the day and week go by but still sore
especially i learn new trick like

spin stop, T-stop, cross over

next i learn backward skating, sore more!
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #11
chaos4ever

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio -- where the wheezing just never goes away

I'd check your lacing first, as that is an easier fix. Make sure that you're not overtightening (which leads to crushed arches, which are very painful to walk on after skating). Lace the arch a looser, but really cinch the upper arch and ankle area down, while making sure the heel is all the way back in the boot.

Foot curling/clenching is also an issue, especially if you tend to try to skate like you're pushing off with the toes and balls of the feet like you're walking. Train yourself to push from the heel outwards and to relax your toes and feet. It'll take a while to get used to the feel, but it's really the best way to skate pain-free.
chaos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #12
pdinphx
Jedi Master Wasabe

These are all good suggestions and your sore feet are likely the result of a combination of factors.

Don't hesitate to put a cushion insole or arch support in your boot, if these will fit without cramping your foot.

Also, check your frame alignment (if the frames on your skates can be adjusted laterally). The generally accepted position puts the front of your frame between your big and second toes, and the rear in line with your achilles tendon.

Wheel durometer can also affect your feet, as harder wheels are more likely to transmit road vibration to your feet. A softer wheel will probably wear faster, but will be more comfortable to skate on over long distances.

In any case, overtightening your skates - laces and straps - and clenching your toes to maintain balance are the usual culprits for beginning skaters or skaters with ill-fitting boots.

Good luck and continue to keep us updated ...
pdinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #13
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I have a pair of the 2010 Moto 84's. There is no lateral adjustment for the frame and the boot is narrow. I have skated on them for a lot of miles and they have not broken in thus the continued pain. The boot is well made but it is a package I wish I could have tried on and worked with an "in-person" dealer. My Rollerblade Lightnings and Advanced took some getting used to but broke in without an issue.
The tension on your laces will be the only way you can adjust the width and perhaps as you train with them you will adjust to them.
That said my first serious skate on the Lightnings was painful. Upon returning I took the boot off and my feet were cramping so bad I could not walk. Some minor adjustments with the frame and experimentation and they are some of the most comfortable skates I own. Perhaps the Motos will be the same for you. They are a one size fits all type of skate. Good Luck!
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #14
jojoman

thank you guys for all the answer, glad i join the forum