S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old July 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1
gabi

Default rotating 10 wheels on 4-wheel skates: worth doing it?

I recently bought a 10-wheel set, but I have only 4 wheels on each of my skates. Would it be worth to rotate all the 10 wheels, to make the set last longer? Or it would be too much trouble, or cause me skate with wheels that are too asymmetrical?
I was thinking about rotating wheels each 50-60 km (that would mean about each 3-4 hours of skating at my level), moving wheel 1 to position 2, wheel 2 to position 3, wheel 3 to position 4, wheel 4 out and the new wheel on position 1. Not clear whether the new wheel should come in front or on the back of the skate. Would anyone have another idea about how should I rotate them?
The wheels are 84a, so they probably should last a bit longer than my current 80a (all 84 mm).
gabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #2
skaterdog

I use a 3x100 1x84 frame...so if you want to sell the extra 2 wheels let me know. Sounds like too much trouble to rotate them with 10.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #3
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I love this idea. This is how I use to buy wheels. Of course I rotate by measuring the wheels with a $15 slide caliper to take all guesswork out of the equation.
The benefits of the extra 2 wheels are great. If you are really hard on a particular wheel, it sits out the rotation until the others catch up.
Additionally, if something happens to one wheel, like you cut it up on a sharp object, you do not have to trash the whole set.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #4
oldtimer11

Plus as BWI suggested.Plus having a "matched wheel" to toss in incase emergency replcement, will be close to other wheels being it been used.

Skate to Live,Live to Skate
oldtimer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #5
skaterdog

Some good points made...I'm going to change my mind and say go ahead and rotate the two benchwarmers into the rotation. Over the years, I've never had a wheel fail because of a sharp object or the like but it is within the realm of possibility....maybe a big piece of glass. If you have the extra time and inclination to do the caliper thing you would get some extra miles out of the set.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #6
pgick

I would rotate in the two extra. it is just more wheel to wear down and if you kill a wheel somehow and the others have wear the replacement will match. I changed a whole set once when one lost a chunk. They were 1/2 worn and sanding down the new guy seemed way to much effort.
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #7
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgick View Post
I would rotate in the two extra. it is just more wheel to wear down and if you kill a wheel somehow and the others have wear the replacement will match. I changed a whole set once when one lost a chunk. They were 1/2 worn and sanding down the new guy seemed way to much effort.
What kind of wheels were you using? I can't imagine a chunk coming out of a wheel.
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:57 PM   #8
pgick

It was on my rec skates. A rock got picked up by the brake and got it stick above the wheel below the boot, it tore chunks out all around.
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rotation wheels