S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileySk8s View Post
And make sure that the big tall fat guy knows it is ok if someone skates close behind you (aka- experienced speed skater). It doesn't help if they freak on you and keep moving out of the way so you have to play cat and mouse.
I think i have seen at most 3 skaters in this area, two of which were on rec skates for what looked like transportation purposes. The other is on the other side of he world right now.

I do agree that it would be quite helpful, though.
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #22
slowsk8

Soooo, getting close, how has the training been going?
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #23
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Soooo, getting close, how has the training been going?
Ahhh.... not especially well. Things have been a lot busier with school than I anticipated, so the closest thing I get to skating is the short-track practices. Granted, they are super helpful. I've finally gotten comfortable enough to do crossovers in base position, which should help tremendously in the turns. In the absence of skate time, I've been running every other day or so, but I don't have much time for that either. I do seem to be (ever-so-slightly) stronger during the short track sessions, so I'm hoping that will translate (somewhat) to minor improvements on race day.

I'm going to try and squeeze in 15 miles tomorrow.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #24
skaterdog

Have you considered using some Ephedra?
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #25
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
Not at all, no.
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #26
Malcom

Quote:
LOL
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #27
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
LOL
You'll have to keep working on her Malcolm.
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #28
Malcom

Quote:
You'll have to keep working on her Malcolm.
When I saw your post I about fell out of my chair
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #29
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #30
emtdpf

When I used to train for indoor meets, I used to use 5 pound ankle weights, one on each ankle, then go skate, Or a weight belt,,,,,, what ever you can find to add a little extra weight to you.

then go skate and do your normal routine, within your time limits........

Theoretically when you get ready to race, you will not have the weights on and you will be "lighter" than when you practised.......
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #31
gabi

You can also mess your balance, rythm, etc....
gabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #32
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdpf View Post
When I used to train for indoor meets, I used to use 5 pound ankle weights, one on each ankle, then go skate, Or a weight belt,,,,,, what ever you can find to add a little extra weight to you.

then go skate and do your normal routine, within your time limits........

Theoretically when you get ready to race, you will not have the weights on and you will be "lighter" than when you practised.......
"theoretically"- i think you ought to reconsider your use of the word in this instance. There's no theory involved. You take off the weights, and you will "In Fact" be lighter. "In Fact", i can tell you how much lighter. Maybe exactly the weight of the weight belt or ankle weights.

But more importantly, i can tell you that this is not good advice. Skating is about balance and orchestrating complex movements in total synchrony. The last thing you want to do is throw one part of the system totally out of whack by weighting it one day and making it lighter the next. The last poster alluded to this, and he is right, as far as I am concerned.

If you want to get the affect you are after, add more resistance to your work out by using slower wheels, or bearings which turn slower (due to a heavy grease, for example). Of perhaps practice your stride at a very slow cadence.

If you want another bad idea - pull a tire behind you when you skate or skate while curling weights, and yes, that was proposed on this message board a few year back.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #33
emtdpf

Very sorry for the "bad advise".

Just passing along what worked for me....
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #34
Malcom

Quote:
Guess what I got in the mail yesterday
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #35
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
"
If you want another bad idea - pull a tire behind you when you skate or skate while curling weights, and yes, that was proposed on this message board a few year back.
Yeah...I fell for that one. I was curling weights and towing a tire uphill against the wind for two months before I finally caught on.
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #36
online inline

and that's what we like about you , s/dog. You'll try most anything, never afraid to appear the fool, yet you wouldn't be caught dead in a skinsuit.
Sure, leave that embarrassment to the rest of us, why don't ya?!
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #37
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myuu View Post
I'm fairly new to the skating scene, but there's an upcoming race that I've been eyeing of late (Mt. Carmel Fitness Challenge), which I've just registered for. It then occurred to me to check last year's finishing times...

I skated my first (and only) half-marathon a couple of months ago to end up with the somewhat (but not unexpected!) fast-as-frozen-molasses finish of 1:27:andchange. Obviously, that's not going to cut it for this one (the fastest time was a third of that and no one came in at over an hour). I have 20 days remaining to me to gear up for this race, but due to several overriding academic factors, not a whole lot of time to hit the trails. On the other hand, I do have more or less 24-hour access to two local gyms. I'll have the time to, at most, unfortunately, skate twice a week--once with the short track club and once outside on the trails, barring rain (it's a good 40-minute drive).

I'm not expecting any miracles, but if you guys have good suggestions of things I can do (targeted or otherwise--other than, say, "lose 70lbs, buy some industrial velcro, and find a pair of nitro rockets"), I'm all ears.

Note: Prior time established on 80mm rec skates. I anticipate skating on my 100mm Jets this time, but I'm still very much in the break-in process. Current prospective outdoor route. Oh, weird. If anyone gets that to work, let me know. It's pretty much a giant chunk of the north coast inland trail between elyria and kipton, OH.
I want to wish you the best of luck on getting your time down and the race. It seems harder to lose time the more you skate. Looks like you have some expert advice being offered. Good Luck!
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #38
Armadillo

Default Accumulate miles at the new race speed you want to reach.

Ankle weights may help build strength, but in the little time you have, it is critical to spend as much time skating at, or faster than, the race pace you want to achieve. Rolling at a depressed speed from ankle weights is a slow process for improving. The quickest way to close the gap from where you are to where you want to be is to spend a steadily increasing amount of your skating time rolling at that race speed, or slightly faster than that race speed. Your body and mind must both get accustomed to the reality of you handling that speed. Shoot for an initial minimum of ~20% of your workout rolling at that speed, and then gradually kick it up to 33% then 50%. Once you can do 50% of a workout at your targeted new race speed goal, you are well on the way to handling that speed in an actual race.

-Armadillo
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #39
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myuu View Post
20 days to shave half an hour off--suggestions?.
Sounds like those 'Shed 15 pounds in 25 days" miracle diets.
What's your hurry?
Is this the last race you'll ever get to compete in?
How's this for advice: you are approaching this all backwards. You are trying to develop basic skating skills and competence to suit a desired race outcome. Instead, how about making your race preperation and the race itself serve the larger purpose of developing your skating abilities and competence as a skater. Do the latter, and you will find that ongoing improvement takes care of itself, and every race and training session brings signs of improvement and development.
So, with the race in mind, use it to get as much progress as you can to becoming a great skater. That means, first off, not worrying about your finishing time, but worrying about skating the best race you are capable of, and learning as much as you can in the process. So, i would start by using your new skates intensively to learn to be comfortable on them, and how to use them effectively. This will involve some technique work and perhaps a little distance to get comfortable and break them in. The goal is to be ready to do the event in the new skates, so now you are using the race to further your progress in learning to skate speed boots.
Next, work on any problems, whatever they are. Who knows what they'll be, so how can we tell you? But get psyched to totally own this event, to be able to competently skate the 13 mi. with confidence and a little esteem. Get ready in all respects. Don't kill yourself trying to make some time that you picked out of a hat. Skate it so you leave everything on the course, finish most of it with good form, and you 'have no regrets', thank you, Apollo.
Ultimately, your goal should not be 'do _ _ at this event.' It should be 'become the best skater i can within now and the finish of the event.' Make the race serve your purposes, not the other way around. And if that's a little too optomistic, at least try to approach it as a win-win situation, where you work to smoke this race, and in doing so, you've furthered your long term skating goals.
Good luck. Sorry i came late to this discussion.
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #40
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
It should be 'become the best skater i can within now and the finish of the event.'
Wise words for EVERY skating discipline. Almost makes me want to get a sharpie and write it on my skates so I can remember it every time I'm out on the floor.

S