S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #21
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero View Post
No passionate skater wants to only skate quads(or blades)!
FIXED!!

Gotta do it all!

I freak most skaters out bouncing from quads to blades and back. There's things I love about both. I am better on my in lines as I spend more time on them since my quads aren't comfortable. In lines are a little easier to become good at IMO since their lean and turning is pretty static compared to coushins on quads which wear in and need occasional adjustment to keep them performing the same. They also offer a ton of ankle support vs quads- generally speaking of course, obviously a low cut race in line setup does not have the ankle support of a good art quad boot. Lol
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #22
NorCal03
Senior Member
 
NorCal03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
FIXED!!

Gotta do it all!

I freak most skaters out bouncing from quads to blades and back. There's things I love about both. I am better on my in lines as I spend more time on them since my quads aren't comfortable. In lines are a little easier to become good at IMO since their lean and turning is pretty static compared to coushins on quads which wear in and need occasional adjustment to keep them performing the same. They also offer a ton of ankle support vs quads- generally speaking of course, obviously a low cut race in line setup does not have the ankle support of a good art quad boot. Lol
Hey, guy. I have never been on in-line (wasn't around when I was growning up and when it came out I think while I was in Univ and I had other things going on at that time) Anyway, next time I am back your way, you want to show me/provide instruction on inline. I'd just like to check it out. Might be a cool way to skate some neighborhood surfaces on a nice weekend?
__________________
Resto: 595, Satellite DA45, Faster Fan-Jets, 8ball Fafnirs
New: Bont QRC, Boen Super Light NTS, Aussie Scott (Super Enforcers and S.F. Primo Deanos)
NorCal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal03 View Post
Hey, guy. I have never been on in-line (wasn't around when I was growning up and when it came out I think while I was in Univ and I had other things going on at that time) Anyway, next time I am back your way, you want to show me/provide instruction on inline. I'd just like to check it out. Might be a cool way to skate some neighborhood surfaces on a nice weekend?

THAT!
I'm 32(33 later this year) so I feel ya bro.

In lines have a serious advantage outdoors on imperfect surfaces and road debris. Honestly though I started on quads. Bought some crappy roller derby brand quads with semi precision in them. God damn, I remember eating concrete due to those crappy hard wheels and seemingly miniscule cracks in supe smooth sidewalk joints(though mostly it was because I sucked ass lol) I quickly learned the importance of keeping a 1/2 step foot placement all the time.

Inline to quad transition is easy. You just need more lean, where the trucks of a quad do some to most of the turning for you an inline cannot and must turn like a dirt bike , bicycle, etc. With an absurd amount of lean when compared to a quad. There's also some weight shifting but its very similar to roller skating. The biggest difference is how you place your weight when standing with the blades under you with a shoulder width stance. A quad rides the weight more towards the arch(usually but depends on plate placement) where a blade rests the weight a little more center to the blade part of your foot, which keeps the blades in an upright position. I often choose to ride in a more bow legged stance since I can flip my ankles over hard and increase my lateral stride by a descent amount.

Another way to look a it is a quad is a car, a blade is a motorcycle. If you can ski then blades will be much easier to learn carving/turning.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #24
NorCal03
Senior Member
 
NorCal03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
THAT!
I'm 32(33 later this year) so I feel ya bro.

In lines have a serious advantage outdoors on imperfect surfaces and road debris. Honestly though I started on quads. Bought some crappy roller derby brand quads with semi precision in them. God damn, I remember eating concrete due to those crappy hard wheels and seemingly miniscule cracks in supe smooth sidewalk joints(though mostly it was because I sucked ass lol) I quickly learned the importance of keeping a 1/2 step foot placement all the time.

Inline to quad transition is easy. You just need more lean, where the trucks of a quad do some to most of the turning for you an inline cannot and must turn like a dirt bike , bicycle, etc. With an absurd amount of lean when compared to a quad. There's also some weight shifting but its very similar to roller skating. The biggest difference is how you place your weight when standing with the blades under you with a shoulder width stance. A quad rides the weight more towards the arch(usually but depends on plate placement) where a blade rests the weight a little more center to the blade part of your foot, which keeps the blades in an upright position. I often choose to ride in a more bow legged stance since I can flip my ankles over hard and increase my lateral stride by a descent amount.

Another way to look a it is a quad is a car, a blade is a motorcycle. If you can ski then blades will be much easier to learn carving/turning.
Thanks, I might just start a thread on here somewhere to get some feedback and thoughts on what a 'Never Used In Line guy" minght need as a first time skate. *I can ski so that was a good piece of info. My initial thought is that maybe the higher hockey skate style inlines might be better for me out of the gate. I wouldnt trade any of my quad speed skates but for some reason when I think about Ice or In-line I just think the hockey style would be ?? better? or at least more versatile.

Now back to the Bones - I wonder if they couldn't use the same hub design with more thane for outdoor racing and then make a copy in plastic hub for random skating (more flex and vibra help in a plastic hub) Even better if it could be a two piece then we could get scott to make replacement thane and be able to keep the hubs year over year - Plus multi duro options.
__________________
Resto: 595, Satellite DA45, Faster Fan-Jets, 8ball Fafnirs
New: Bont QRC, Boen Super Light NTS, Aussie Scott (Super Enforcers and S.F. Primo Deanos)
NorCal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #25
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,316
Default

Love the idea for those wheels.

As for blades do not get a hockey skate. Get on eBay and look for an older recreational skate. What size shoe ya wear I'll find ya a good blade for cheap as I regularly browse eBay.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #26
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!
 
gotsk8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison, Florida
Posts: 5,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal03 View Post

Now back to the Bones - I wonder if they couldn't use the same hub design with more thane for outdoor racing and then make a copy in plastic hub for random skating (more flex and vibra help in a plastic hub) Even better if it could be a two piece then we could get scott to make replacement thane and be able to keep the hubs year over year - Plus multi duro options.
Bad thing about the plastic hub that big is the flex. It would probably flex so much that the thin thane would start to separate from the hub. Thats parts of the reason I don`t use my VR`s that much because the surface I skate isn`t necessarily smooth everywhere.
__________________
Genesis 12:2-3
"My neighbors listen to good music whether they like it or not"
gotsk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #27
Iggy
DGS Racing
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PITTSBURGH, PA
Posts: 3,398
Default

Just a thought, what about these

http://rollerbones.com/products/holi...dead/62mm-80a/

I never skated the plastic hubbed wheels so I dunno.
__________________
Skate Drama Free
"Ultimate V - Like a skate mullet." -dvw
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #28
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!
 
gotsk8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison, Florida
Posts: 5,731
Default

Those aren`t bad since you have enough thane to absorb the shock instead of putting it on the hubs shoulders to absorb it. My Tom Petersons have a similar hub.
__________________
Genesis 12:2-3
"My neighbors listen to good music whether they like it or not"
gotsk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #29
NorCal03
Senior Member
 
NorCal03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 482
Default

Does anyone presently run those Day of Dead 80A for outside? Wonder what would be the downside of running those off the shelf? Other than they are not 70mm or 65 but rather just 62. Seems like an easy opportunity to just produce some 65mm Day of the dead 80A That hub looks a bit like the Variflex of the 80s
__________________
Resto: 595, Satellite DA45, Faster Fan-Jets, 8ball Fafnirs
New: Bont QRC, Boen Super Light NTS, Aussie Scott (Super Enforcers and S.F. Primo Deanos)
NorCal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.