S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old July 9th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Iggy
DGS Racing

Question Looking for advice on building aggressive quads

I've always wanted to try aggressive skating, but I can't skate on inlines to save my life. Then I started reading stuff on here about aggressive quads and watching the YouTube clips and I'm really diggin it and I think I'd like to try to build a pair, so I'm looking for some advice. I'd like to keep the cost low for this build until I see how much I'm going to use these. I'll probably be mostly street skating on them for now. I wanna learn how to grind and pull other tricks also. Probably won't be in many skate parks or vert ramps, at least not right now.

It seems like Probe plates are popular. Is this a good plate to use? Also, do the skateboard trucks fit directly to the plate or do you have to modify it?

Should I use skateboard wheels or quad speed wheels? I've seen both and I'm not sure if maybe one works better for certain things that the other and vice versa.

As for boots, I'm planning to get new boots for my jamskates and was thinking about using my Riedell 395 boots that are currently on my them for this aggressive quad build. Would the 395 work for that? My first thought was that they wouldn't provide enough ankle support, but since I know absolutely nothing about aggressive skating I don't know if that would be bad or not.

Thanks for any help
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #2
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
It seems like Probe plates are popular. Is this a good plate to use?
No. They're a flexy piece of junk that won't last very long. Use a Super-X plate. They're heavier (which can be helpful sometimes), but they're around the same price as Probes and are basically indestructible. Go with a size larger plate than you would use for indoor skating.

Quote:
Also, do the skateboard trucks fit directly to the plate or do you have to modify it?
Sure-Grip does make wider skateboard style trucks that will fit into their double action line of plates. Standard skateboard trucks will not fit into quad plates.

Quote:
Should I use skateboard wheels or quad speed wheels? I've seen both and I'm not sure if maybe one works better for certain things that the other and vice versa.
If you're using wider trucks you can usually use skateboard wheels, however outdoor quad wheels will work fine.

Quote:
Would the 395 work for that?
Yes.

Quote:
My first thought was that they wouldn't provide enough ankle support, but since I know absolutely nothing about aggressive skating I don't know if that would be bad or not.
You have a wide base with quads, so ankle strength is not an issue. Plus you need a lot of ankle flexibilty with quad boots or the inside of your ankles will get torn to shreds from rubbing against a stiff boot.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #3
Iggy
DGS Racing

I was thinking the same thing about the Probe plates. I've never really been a fan of them. But I saw a few pics of vert quads with them so I thought maybe the flex was good for these particular kind of skates. That makes sense about the ankle support in the boots also.

Thanks for you help
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #4
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

No prob. For more advice on aggressive quads check out http://adinfinitum.de/Rollerskate/index.html.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #5
Demolishun
Aggro Member

That is a cool site for learning to build vert quads. I have been contemplating and that info will definitely help.
Thanks!
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #6
biffsk8er

I use speed boots (my own personal preference).
I cut snow skis for skate plates & attached skateboard trucks for better grinding.
Able inline frames for between the trucks for sliding rails.

I find many of the materials needed by hitting the resale shops. I order my mounting bolt hardware from a skate rink.
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #7
biffsk8er

Default also...

Btw....I used a kitchen cutting board to make riser pads, in order to lower the Able frames closer to the ground. Also, I should have cut the Able frames longer so that they reached from truck to truck.
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #8
biffsk8er

Default couple of final details...

I use indoor speed skate wheels, and any bearings that I can get my hands on.
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #9
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
I use indoor speed skate wheels, and any bearings that I can get my hands on.
Dude, you are awesome! I love seeing things McGuivered together. Use what you got to show the whole is truly greater than the sum of its parts. I really like the idea of using skis to make the plates. That is really good because you can buy skis cheap at any thrift store.

Thanks for the tips!
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #10
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
Dude, you are awesome! I love seeing things McGuivered together. Use what you got to show the whole is truly greater than the sum of its parts. I really like the idea of using skis to make the plates. That is really good because you can buy skis cheap at any thrift store.

Thanks for the tips!
Thanks!
The skis are not only cheap, but they are very strong and quite flexible during heavy impacts, so they do not break easily. I have to admit it though, I got the idea from sifting through internet sites like this one.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Iggy
DGS Racing

Thanks Biff. I read somewhere about using skis too. I was thinkin about getting a buddy of mine that works in a metal shop to cut me some aluminum plates, but skis might be a pretty good (and cheap) idea too. Cause I'd really like to use skateboard trucks for this. A pair of skateboard trucks i saw with a Rising Sun kinda design on them was actually my inspiration for wantin to do a pair of aggressive quads Well that and all the YouTube videos lol
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #12
biffsk8er

Default modified skate design details

Quote:
Thanks Biff. I read somewhere about using skis too.
You have to think ahead on several factors.

1) 4 bolts go into each truck.....try to makes sure that 2 of them (on each truck) go through your boot as well, in order to not only attach your plates to your boot, but also to strengthen the assembly. I also put my trucks as far forward and rearward as possible for better stability. Use the rearward holes in the front truck for attaching it to your boot. Use whichever bolt holes line up with your boot heel well enough on the rear skate truck.

2) Do not cut the plates shorter than your boots-cut them the same length. Grind and/or file them to the shape of your toe (A skate truck with a rounded end -not square- is better for the front) and heel. This further strengthens the base of your skate while also protecting your toes from impacts (the plates will hit before your toes)

3) If attaching inline frames, make sure of two things :
a. that the bolts do not stick out the top of the plate where they touch the sole of your boot.
b. make sure whatever frme you use, that it has enough material for you to bolt them onto your plates, where the bolts will not interfere with sliding.

Questions? Contact me here.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM   #13
dodaDae
DoDaDae

Default smaller trucks

Are there smaller trucks that you can use??? I think that I might habe a hard time on them.......
dodaDae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:29 AM   #14
roller_dudette
skate addict!

nice quads. was lucky i built mine out of some trackers i got. think skis would do me better since i like flex and dont weigh much. but not a ski area. maybe later. i had to drill holes through the sheet metal and take out rivets. hardest part was making sure the bases were straight; the plates were too big. i guess skis are easier to cut?

i love tracker midtracks. im small so they r wide enough for me. make sure you put front trucks under base of toe otherwise its easy to faceplant lol. looks like biff has his under toes, i find it hard to turn and i love carving bowls so this works for me fine.

sliders are UHMW plastic, its like ice! design my own.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:49 AM   #15
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Yeah, I was going to mention the UHMW, but dudette beat me too it! I picked some up here: usplastics

That is what they put in the GC DI and Bullet frames. Slicker than just about anything. You can't glue it either. It has to be mechanically attached just like the frames you use.
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM   #16
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodaDae View Post
Are there smaller trucks that you can use??? I think that I might have a hard time on them.......
Yes. tracker midtracks and/or Indy 109's. I'm still looking for smaller trucks myself, but they are not a big problem unless you ride front stance. Then, your wheels might hit and lock up while skating forwards. Side stance isn't a problem, and believe it or not, they maneuver about the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
hardest part was making sure the bases were straight
Always is! I hate trying to mount trucks straight. But...it has to be done.
Quote:
Yeah, I was going to mention the UHMW,
I believe that the bottom of snow skis is UHMW, but.....you'll need to add more material that is lower to the ground. Also, skis usually have a metal edge that interferes on surfaces other than snow, so you HAVE to add more UHMW material.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM   #17
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Yeah, I was going to mention the UHMW, but dudette beat me too it! I picked some up here: usplastics

That is what they put in the GC DI and Bullet frames. Slicker than just about anything. You can't glue it either. It has to be mechanically attached just like the frames you use.

Would you be able to use this material for a plate? i.e. Would it resist flexing enough and could it be cut on, say, a band saw? Cause it looks and, from the description, sounds like it would be a very sturdy and light weight material.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM   #18
biffsk8er

Quote:
Would you be able to use this material for a plate? i.e. Would it resist flexing enough and could it be cut on, say, a band saw? Cause it looks and, from the description, sounds like it would be a very sturdy and light weight material.
It would be perfect to cut skis with a band saw. Also, UHMW could be cut with a band saw. However, I do not think UHMW would make a good plate. Better to connect it to your plates as an accessory. I would think that it would be too flexible by itself, and would warp over time, unless attached to a more rigid surface.

~ If anyone has more knowledge about types of UHMW that could be used as a plate, please correct me. ~
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM   #19
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
It would be perfect to cut skis with a band saw. Also, UHMW could be cut with a band saw. However, I do not think UHMW would make a good plate. Better to connect it to your plates as an accessory. I would think that it would be too flexible by itself, and would warp over time, unless attached to a more rigid surface.

~ If anyone has more knowledge about types of UHMW that could be used as a plate, please correct me. ~
Yes, it will bend. Use the ski for the base and attach the UHMW. Also, UHMW stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. A sheet that is 1/2" thick will bend pretty easy. It also has memory and will stay bent. Best to use to make a super slick surface or block like RD did.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM   #20
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Yes, it will bend. Use the ski for the base and attach the UHMW. Also, UHMW stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. A sheet that is 1/2" thick will bend pretty easy. It also has memory and will stay bent. Best to use to make a super slick surface or block like RD did.

i used 3/4" for sliders so its sturdy but very heavy at that weight.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote