S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM   #21
Iggy
DGS Racing

Ok my mind is definately work way too hard here lol

So while browsing around that US Plastics site I found this http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=4629

I'm assuming that this is the same nylon that plates like the Lasers are made from. What about making a plate out of a thick enough chunck of this? What I'm thinking is a plate with flat mounting areas in the front and back for mounting skateboard hangers and trucks, and attaching a piece of UHMW for the grind block. The actual picture in my head is a little more detail than that, but that's the general idea.

What do you think? Not that I'd actually do anything like this
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #22
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
What do you think? Not that I'd actually do anything like this
I would think the skis would be cheaper, but I would call and talk to them first. They are a really friendly company and could probably direct you to an ideal plastic for a plate. The skis have fiber in them so I would imagine would be better suited.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:32 AM   #23
w0nk0thesane

Default That looks FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post

Questions? Contact me here.
Hi,

I'm planning on building myself a set of aggressive quads and I have a few questions. I've got a pair of skis on the way which should make a few sets, I'm sure I'll want to change some things within a few weeks of using them.

1. Do you have any recomendations for cheap shoes? I was thinking along the lines of an astroturf boot. I'm not happy spending too much until I've got my design sorted out.

2. What about bonding the shoes instead of bolting them (when I'm happy with my design)? Wouldn't it make mounting easier and be stonger?

3. How much is weight a factor? I've found some nice cheap trucks but I have no idea how heavy they are, this is the heaviest component right?

4. I can't find trucks with rounded ends, I can appreciate how this helps stop the skis fracturing but I can't find any. Can you recomend any manufacturers?

Thanks in advance

W
w0nk0thesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM   #24
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0nk0thesane View Post
1. Do you have any recomendations for cheap shoes? I was thinking along the lines of an astroturf boot. I'm not happy spending too much until I've got my design sorted out.
I hit all the resale/vintage/yard sales that I can find to locate rollerskates cheap. I cannibalize parts and boots. I've heard of others using other boots, but I have not, except for joke skates. I.E. Cowboy boots or tennis shoes.

Quote:
2. What about bonding the shoes instead of bolting them (when I'm happy with my design)? Wouldn't it make mounting easier and be stonger?
Skis are not bondable on the bottom, as they have a surface like Dupont for sliding. The top is usually a fiberglass composite. You might be able to bond to that, but I've never tried it. If it works for you, let me know. Bolting to the skis can compromise the material....be careful not to pull through the surface of the ski.

Quote:
3. How much is weight a factor? I've found some nice cheap trucks but I have no idea how heavy they are, this is the heaviest component right?
If you are skating vert or street courses, it won't matter a lot. You will get used to the extra weight. Speed is not the primary concern for aggressive skating. Learning to pump is more important. Plus, the skis make up for the weight gain.

Quote:
4. I can't find trucks with rounded ends, I can appreciate how this helps stop the skis fracturing but I can't find any. Can you recomend any manufacturers?
Grind Kings. The back trucks do not matter as much. You want the rounded trucks on the front end. Some truck bases can even be ground to a new shape....it just might require drilling new bolt holes in them for attachment. Try to find more narrow skateboard trucks. 99mm is best, but hard to find. You might have to settle for 129mm.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM   #25
roller_dudette
skate addict!

there is no 1 right formula. do bolt, things wont hold otherwise. vert sk8s last much longer then inlines. build them sturdy. dont worry about weight as much. i weigh 80 or so lbs, i can handle them.

europe goes for hockey boots, US goes for reidell speed boots. some do inline boots. whatever works for you. i tried hockey, didnt fit my foot, too much movement so dangerous, inflexible and uncomfortable. couldnt move well enough. i have to bend at ankle to sk8 so i like speed boots.

trucks go narrow. i am 12" wide max on my shoulders so i go for trucks 85mm. i like midtracks or u can try something like this;
http://www.landyachtz.com/D27.cfm?PID=101&place=1
wider trucks will make it easier to grind but depends what u can handle. 3" for hangers is all i can handle, i'm super small tho.

drill 3rd hole between holes for mounting.

i recommend toe stops if u do bowls. makes getting out easy and nice to bounce off walls for added speed. others old skool usually dont.

get 59-60mm skateboard wheels. harder is faster but slippier, i do 96a tho since i'm light and want a touch of grip. most do 98-101.

if u make em, gotta post em OK?

also where u put front trucks varies. i like best under base of toes. where i push off and can turn well. if under toes, i find i cant turn well. some like it to front. like i said, i like toe stops too. europeans tend to go to front tho, US shorter. heres the front of my sk8. i wont sk8 w/out stoppers but i had to trim these so i can grind. kryptos are like glue coming out of bowls. like i said i'm tiny, would hate to be stuck in a bowl lol.

roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM   #26
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
i like midtracks or u can try something like this;
http://www.landyachtz.com/D27.cfm?PID=101&place=1
Holy cow!! Thanks for this link!!! I have looked high and low for mid-tracks and for a lot of the styles of trucks that are available on this site!!! I'm assuming that they'll deliver to the U.S.. I'm all the way down here in Texas. I'm saving this link right now!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #27
roller_dudette
skate addict!

i almost bought those. if mine go, i will try those. thats my width. i cant handle the wide wide trucks. i wish at times because 3" isnt much room to 50-50 on. its nice to share these finds. not many of us so nice to spread info.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM   #28
biffsk8er

Quote:
i almost bought those. if mine go, i will try those. thats my width. i cant handle the wide wide trucks. i wish at times because 3" isnt much room to 50-50 on. its nice to share these finds. not many of us so nice to spread info.
You're so sweet! I'll share my info. on skate products!!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:41 AM   #29
Demolishun
Aggro Member

I bought some hockey ice skates that fit me for like $6 at a thrift store. Those would be ideal for putting quads on. Sturdy and good ankle protection.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:31 AM   #30
roller_dudette
skate addict!

hey demo, with quads, esp. wide trucks, sturdy boots arent needed like inlines, thats one of the main reason I love quads. actually i absolutely hated the hockey boots since it limited ankle movement. others like them. most US vert sk8rs go for short boots. but under $10 IS an ideal boot!! i cant wait to see ur set up!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #31
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
hey demo, with quads, esp. wide trucks, sturdy boots arent needed like inlines, thats one of the main reason I love quads. actually i absolutely hated the hockey boots since it limited ankle movement. others like them. most US vert sk8rs go for short boots. but under $10 IS an ideal boot!! i cant wait to see ur set up!
It will be a while. I am too busy on my inlines. I didn't realize quad skaters use shorter boot for vert. Yeah, they are cheap. They are old Bauer boots.
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #32
w0nk0thesane

Thanks for the advice biff and rd. I'm starting off with the cheapest bits I can find (the trucks will be pretty wide unfortunately but they are nice and cheap) and modifying/improving from there. I'm making some for my ex too and she's a photographer so there will be plenty of pics of various versions of skates for you.

Toe stop or not toe stop? that is the question
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #33
biffsk8er

Quote:
Thanks for the advice biff and rd. I'm starting off with the cheapest bits I can find (the trucks will be pretty wide unfortunately but they are nice and cheap) and modifying/improving from there. I'm making some for my ex too and she's a photographer so there will be plenty of pics of various versions of skates for you.

Toe stop or not toe stop? that is the question
You are very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

No toe stop.

You will never need them in doing vert and street courses. They will just be in the way. Do you know how to hockey stop? Also, you can use t-stops, or snowplow stops. But generally, in skating ramps, you slow towards the tops of the ramps, and you build up speed going down them. How you pump the transitions determines whether or not you come to a stop, or air out of a ramp.
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #34
roller_dudette
skate addict!

well, if u do bowls esp. i would never go w/out one. i changed and put them on after speaking to Duke Rennie who told me to put them on. in case u dont know who he is, hes a vert legend and i spoke to him on set up.
http://thehouseofsteam.wordpress.com...ouse-of-steam/

they allow me to walk out the bowl. otherwise i would be stuck in the big bowls. also can bounce off the wall with them to get more speed. some tricks you can do with toe stops only. it depends who u ask the answer. i would give both a try. if you just do halfpipes, not needed as much. i would never go without them now, nice to drag to slow down gaining position in sloped bowls. also easy way to stay put when dropping in. i usually like to stand one plate on the coping dropping in. w/out grind plates ideal to drop in w/ one toe stop down.

heres a pic of me about to push off my toestop since this bowl had a freakin slow waterfall to go up into a back stall or 50-50 or slam or something lol. they are very bouncy like a trampoline so i enjoy them.

Old September 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #35
w0nk0thesane

You're right, I think trying out both will be the best idea. The simplicity appeals to me with no stoppers, less weight, less bulk, less holes in your plate-stronger and you can always pump out of bowls surely? Then again jumping off walls sounds amazing, is it do-able skating street? I'll be using them there as much as ramp.
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #36
w0nk0thesane

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
I have to admit it though, I got the idea from sifting through internet sites like this one.

Which ones are they then please? I can't find anything on home-made quads anywhere else
Old September 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #37
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
Which ones are they then please? I can't find anything on home-made quads anywhere else
http://adinfinitum.de/Rollerskate/index.html

http://rollerquad.net/

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #38
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
You're right, I think trying out both will be the best idea. The simplicity appeals to me with no stoppers, less weight, less bulk, less holes in your plate-stronger and you can always pump out of bowls surely? Then again jumping off walls sounds amazing, is it do-able skating street? I'll be using them there as much as ramp.
again, a lot depends upon what ur sk8n. i sk8 in bowls more then double my height. on a bad slam i cant pump out, concrete is slippery. i dont like to spend 20 mins trying to get out of a bowl. even duke has them to get out of bowls. sk8boarders have grippy shoes. i love them and 2 ounces wont make or break you. even no stopper i had to put them on the attachment pieces, otherwise my plates would quickly be ruined on toe slides. i have plates they dont make anymore, refuse to crack them. if halfpipes is ur thing, probably dont need them, just cut the plate down then. the holes up front mean nothing on making the plate stronger. adding the toe mounts makes it enormously stronger on toe slides! they will last 20 yrs w/ them on, 1 year w/ them off.

btw, vert quads, there is no one formula for all of us. what works for biff, or me, might be right/wrong for u. you will eventually come up with something that u learned from us but also other vert sk8rs or experimented on ur own. maybe u can make a carbon fiber plate instead?
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #39
w0nk0thesane

Thanks for that RS, good info one one but I can't get into the european forum, it just keeps chucking me back to the log-in page my french is not good.

Quote:
maybe u can make a carbon fiber plate instead?
Maybe I could if I won the lottery, I don't have that kind of money. My skis were collected the other day (ebayed for 2.65!) so I've got enough for severall plates, some of them WIDE. I've even ditched the idea of new trucks and got my local skate shop collecting old wheels and trucks form me. I had a chat with the owner and he's well interested in the idea but finding 4 matching trucks and 8 wheels will take a while. Not only is it cheaper but the idea of recycling parts appeals to me too.

I don't think getting stuck in bowls will be an issue for me, the only one I know about is less than my height, an hours drive away and I don't own a car; the facilities aint great in the uk. I can hit lots of different outdoor midi/street parks every day though and I'm planning to do the 5 mile round trip to work on skates too. I need to get fit again and I want to have fun while I do it
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #40
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
I need to get fit again and I want to have fun while I do it
Skating will get you fit again. Just be consistent and have fun. I lost about 10-15 lbs from190 to 175 due to skating and diet changes. Make sure you intake large amounts of fruits and vegetables. You need the antioxidants and nutrients.

Good luck and let us know how the skates come out. Make sure to wear safety glasses when building the skates too.