S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old September 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #41
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default extreme vert is 99% ability and 1% special hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0nk0thesane View Post
Thanks for that RS, good info one one but I can't get into the european forum, it just keeps chucking me back to the log-in page my french is not good.

Maybe I could if I won the lottery, I don't have that kind of money. My skis were collected the other day (ebayed for 2.65!) so I've got enough for severall plates, some of them WIDE. I've even ditched the idea of new trucks and got my local skate shop collecting old wheels and trucks form me. I had a chat with the owner and he's well interested in the idea but finding 4 matching trucks and 8 wheels will take a while. Not only is it cheaper but the idea of recycling parts appeals to me too.

I don't think getting stuck in bowls will be an issue for me, the only one I know about is less than my height, an hours drive away and I don't own a car; the facilities aint great in the uk. I can hit lots of different outdoor midi/street parks every day though and I'm planning to do the 5 mile round trip to work on skates too. I need to get fit again and I want to have fun while I do it
You don't need to win a lottery...a few $ here and there will do it.

The boots must be comfortable! Many folks shy away from steel toed high hockey boots as they require an extreme break-in period. Once they are comfy though they'll be the last boots you need purchase. Mine:

As you can see they have had extreme abuse & mileage and they'll probably out-live me.....lol.

Wheels are also by preference. If you do a lot of fast turns where you don't want to slip then go with a soft wheel - hard to push but stick like glue.

As for plates, they must be durable....many styles on the market and as long as they hold together that's good enough for me. I find larger/harder axles more important than plates as they take a beating if you're doing jumps.

Wider trucks are another option. Myself, I never had a use for them....if you fall over sideways on a std width truck, a wider stance isn't going to help you.....but an airbag will.

I've seen loads of guys with all the best equipment look like fools and guys with wooden wheels put them to shame. I'm all for inovation but just how much better is that $400 plate than the $40 one? Sure better hardware helps but it gets to a point where that little bit better isn't worth Jack!

I'm a firm beleiver that extreme vert is 99% ability and 1% special hardware!

Watch the vid below to see what you can do with old outdated off the shelf equipment....

CrazeeDave
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #42
biffsk8er

Quote:
Which ones are they then please? I can't find anything on home-made quads anywhere else
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #43
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
the holes up front mean nothing on making the plate stronger. adding the toe mounts makes it enormously stronger on toe slides!
True. Hole for stopper in front of skate does not weaken plate. However, it does shorten your wheel base.

Quote:
they will last 20 yrs w/ them (stoppers) on, 1 year w/ them off.
What will? Your boots? The plates? If you mean the boots, you could protect the toe of your boot with a cover.

Quote:
what works for biff, or me, might be right/wrong for u.
Absolutely true! Always do what works best for you.
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #44
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeDave View Post
I've seen loads of guys with all the best equipment look like fools and guys with wooden wheels put them to shame. I'm all for inovation but just how much better is that $400 plate than the $40 one? Sure better hardware helps but it gets to a point where that little bit better isn't worth Jack!

Truer words were never spoken!!!!!

I've never spent too much on vert skates. They get destroyed too quickly. The most expensive item on my skates are the skateboard trucks. And I have re-used them when my boots wear out. Just mount them on new (or new to me) boots. I almost always buy used.
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #45
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post

True. Hole for stopper in front of skate does not weaken plate. However, it does shorten your wheel base.

What will? Your boots? The plates? If you mean the boots, you could protect the toe of your boot with a cover.

Absolutely true! Always do what works best for you.
the plate, mine started to split til i put on the toe stop mounts. the metal plate started denting and pulling away from the wood layer. i love my plates. the toe mount totally protects them. as far as wheelbase, mine is perfect. i wouldnt want the trucks more forward since i cant turn with them in front of the base of my toes. i prefer the tight little bowls and love carving the most. most US sk8rs have them this way, most european have them ur way. probably better ur way if vert ramps are ur thing. i prefer the bowls and carving rather then straight up and down.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #46
biffsk8er

Quote:
the metal plate started denting and pulling away from the wood layer.
Wood Layer???!!! Your plates are layered with wood in them? If you added the wood layer yourself, consider using a much harder resilient wood, or a different material altogether.

As far as a plate goes, if you do not use the stopper holes (like me), I'd suggest cutting them off (the entire stopper attachment area on the front of the plates). If your plates do not stick out past the front of your boot, then you wouldn't have a problem with damaging your plates. This also lightens your plates, as well as allowing a longer wheel base for those who like the longer wheel base.
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #47
roller_dudette
skate addict!

try tracker plates, no i'm not going to distroy them!!
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #48
biffsk8er

Quote:
try tracker plates, no i'm not going to distroy them!!
I cannot even find Tracker plates. All I can find online is Tracker trucks. Can you post a pic?
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #49
roller_dudette
skate addict!

here are my tracker plates, tracker trucks, UHMW sliders i designed/cut. these are the best freaking sk8s for me anyways. just not happy w/ the boot. too wide on heels and pinches my toes since my toebox is more square. did many mods on heel, sewn in 2nd heel strap, padding, etc. might try bont boots next time the riches pass through. they do not make tracker plates anymore. i was an extremely lucky gal!! they r the lightest thing around. no i wont take off the toe mounts, ever!! i have 2 sets, one on my street sk8s too. they have to last me a lifetime.

Old September 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #50
biffsk8er

Quote:
here are my tracker plates, tracker trucks, UHMW sliders i designed/cut.

Those are amazing! I've never seen plates like these......EVER! Where on Earth did you find them??
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #51
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:

Those are amazing! I've never seen plates like these......EVER! Where on Earth did you find them??
they arent for sale. very rarely r they on ebay but last time was for $400. its who you know. i promised not to ruin them by doing dumb street stuff, kept my word so taking great care of them so they outlive me.

one set i got off ebay.
Old September 30th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #52
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Maybe it is someones lucky day...
http://www.climaxmfg.com/trucks/quads.html
Old September 30th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #53
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
Maybe it is someones lucky day...
http://www.climaxmfg.com/trucks/quads.html
I see the toe stops for sale at the link you posted, but where are the plates themselves? Do you make your own plates for those things??

Thanks for the link, btw! That is so cool.
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #54
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
I see the toe stops for sale at the link you posted, but where are the plates themselves? Do you make your own plates for those things??

Thanks for the link, btw! That is so cool.

mounts fit on any plate. again, find plates is lucky pretty much on ebay or a machinist.
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #55
biffsk8er

Quote:
mounts fit on any plate. again, find plates is lucky pretty much on ebay or a machinist.
If the plate is just a thin flat piece of wood or metal, I can machine it myself. I just figured that since the page link stated
Quote:
We are offering a limited number of standard, 356 Aluminum plates as well as the super hard to find yellow magnesium plates.
that I would be able to buy the plates. But apparently, they are calling the toe stop piece a "plate".

Not that it is a huge deal, since I really never use stoppers. But, I was thinking of buying some for posterity's sake. ;D
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:55 AM   #56
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
But apparently, they are calling the toe stop piece a "plate".
Quote:
We are offering a limited number of standard, 356 Aluminum plates as well as the super hard to find yellow magnesium plates.
Oh wow, I thought they were selling plates too as some deal. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up.
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:36 AM   #57
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
Oh wow, I thought they were selling plates too as some deal. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up.
Don't sweat it! You actually brought a good thing up. I might still buy the stop part and make my own light weight plates. However, it does not look like something that would be very effective for vert.
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM   #58
w0nk0thesane

Quote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You guys are soooo helpfull, I really appreciate all the advice and your discussions. It'll be a while before I can build unfortunately, I don't have a workshop at home and some bits won't arrive before I go to stay at my folks farm next week...where the workshop is. I doubt I'll be back there before christmas
w0nk0thesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM   #59
biffsk8er

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you. You guys are soooo helpfull, I really appreciate all the advice and your discussions. It'll be a while before I can build unfortunately, I don't have a workshop at home and some bits won't arrive before I go to stay at my folks farm next week...where the workshop is. I doubt I'll be back there before christmas
You are so very welcome!! Any questions at all, let me know. You can also 'PM' me for info.
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #60
w0nk0thesane

Default Toe stops

I'm tending towards toe stops as I signed up as a derby ref for a crash course in skating (although I must admit that being surrounded by women was a big factor too). I've started learing with stops, I prefer sprint starts to duck walking (much better acceleration) and find derby stops easier than hockey stops; my main concern is taking my teeth out whilst grinding but that running up walls thing sounds soooo good. How difficult is it to switch between "no stop" and toe stop? I really enjoy derby (men's uk leauge has just been born, my god it's fun) so I will be using them indoors alot, will it be a pain to switch between the two?

The best news is that one of the derby lads has a workshop so I can build as soon as my boots arrive, curse that international shipping time lag thing.

Last edited by w0nk0thesane; October 14th, 2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typo
w0nk0thesane is offline   Reply With Quote