S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old August 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #21
Armadillo

Default Boots with heels are not good to glue

While, done properly, glue will hold more than as strongly as screws, when there are big gaps to fill. I do not advise using glue.

-Armadillo
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #22
GLiB

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Urethane Glued skates last more than 10 years. These are nearly 14 years since glued. Only wheels & stops changed.

This plate was switched from urethane (in PIC) to Gorilla superglue (rubberized edition). Front was left glued with urethane - Shoe Goo.
Because slider bar contact area was so slim and truck hanger puts a lot of leverage on glue without a mount bolt, I switched to superglue for a much stronger bond from plate to carbon fiber. This is why a carbon fiber sole adapter is critical for a good result. It bonds BOTH to uneven sole with urethane and to perfect, no-gaps plate joint with superglue. Now there is NO SEPARATING them.

Thanks for the info!
GLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #23
DevilsFang
Robert Chicken

I have really been enjoying the new sub-forum and after trying and failing at inlines twice, I have decided to give outdoor quads a shot.

I was particularly impressed with A-town's Nike build, so I went to Sports Authority to look for shoes, and fell in love with these Adidas. They were on sale for $29, so I figured if I screwed them up, or did not like them, "no big loss".

I realize the Power-Trac plates are not the best choice, but they are all I had floating around. They do have slotted mounting holes, and I am going to slide them forward a little bit at a time.

I don't have any outdoor wheels yet, so I threw on the Shamans so I could try them out at the rink today. I am happy so far, I can't wait to get some wheels and hit the streets around my neighborhood.

DevilsFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #24
Armadillo

Default Welcome to the new sub-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFang View Post
I have really been enjoying the new sub-forum and after trying and failing at inlines twice, I have decided to give outdoor quads a shot.
Glad to have another new poster in the new Outdoor Quad sub-forum.
Your new Adidas build looks great - especially at the price you scored them!
Now put that savings into a good set of outdoor optimized wheels.
PM me if you are interested in some Velocity Race 65mm or 70mm with bearings for 7mm or 8mm.

Next build, give some thought to a reversed plate with a Heel Stop

-Armadillo
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #25
kj219

Default Outdoor Quads Suggestions?

I haven't skated regularly since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, but I miss it. Moreso when I find a skating group like this ...

I keep trying to get back into skating ... inlines - yuck. Landrollers ... double yuck. I just can't get the hang of skiing to stay in one place and being unable to flex my ankle. And then I try to stop, and just can't get comfortable with the inline/back brake combo. I'm NOT going to recover from many more falls, padded and protected though I may be.

It is time to get some good quads and head out the front door to the wilds of my suburban landscape.

I was looking over the "quadlines," which sound interesting, but ... reading on the forums that pre-packaged is generally poor pickings got me looking into the necessary parts for piecemealing.

Can anyone make suggestions regarding a build?

The forums indicate:
ABEC 5/7 bearings
78-84a wheel hardness

What should I look for in ...
Shoe company - boots rather than shoes ... weak ankles. Need to balance stability with flexibility. I'm a woman's street 9.5 B width and generally find unisex/men's shoes far too wide for comfort. (Especially now that manufacturers seem to be entering the "vanity" width game, grumble, grumble, grumble.)

Plates - aluminum/nylon? who's producing quality?

Trucks and bushings - is one company better than the other? Or are they all churned out of one factory with someone stamping different names at the end of the line?

... Even the 6 wheel quadline looks interesting, though excessively expensive for what "appears to be" an additional hole drilled in the plate, an extra truck, and two extra wheels per skate.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Kira
kj219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #26
Armadillo

Default High skateboard or BB shoes with flat sole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj219 View Post
I haven't skated regularly since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, but I miss it. Moreso when I find a skating group like this ...

It is time to get some good quads and head out the front door to the wilds of my suburban landscape...

Can anyone make suggestions regarding a build?
Who is doing the building? What build skills?

Quote:
The forums indicate:
ABEC 5/7 bearings
78-84a wheel hardness
Don't worry about ABEC# of bearings - looser bearings tolerate outdoor dirt better.
Primo wheels => Velocity Race wheels & they come with 8mm bearings

Quote:
What should I look for in ...
Shoe company - boots rather than shoes ... weak ankles. Need to balance stability with flexibility. I'm a woman's street 9.5 B width and generally find unisex/men's shoes far too wide for comfort. (Especially now that manufacturers seem to be entering the "vanity" width game, grumble, grumble, grumble.)
Visit skateboard stores that sell shoes & find comfy hi top w/ flat sole.
Or, Nike flywire BB shoes.
Order 6"x12" Dragon Plate carbon fiber 1/8" birch core for shoe-to-plate adapter to get the sole stiffness you want.

Quote:
Plates - aluminum/nylon? who's producing quality?
Sure Grip Nova nylon plate with aluminum trucks - super value.
Gorilla super glue carbon fiber plate adapter onto Nova nylon plate.
You say you say you don't like heel stops, but reversing the Quad plate mount to make a heel stop gives you 3-5 times better stopping power.
Do a forward mount (by 1" further) and use a 1" longer plate with rear axle under heel ball..

Quote:
Trucks and bushings - is one company better than the other? Or are they all churned out of one factory with someone stamping different names at the end of the line?
S-G soft pink cushions absorb vibrations the best. Search my other posts for glue build information.

-Armadillo
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #27
kj219

Default Build clarification

Quote:
Who is doing the building? What build skills?
Uh ... ... me?

Build skills. Hm. I can get a Lego set together faster than you can!

Honestly, two scientists/engineer types in one household. If we can't figure it out, it canna be done by mere mortals.

Quote:
Velocity Race wheels
Nike flywire BB shoes.
Dragon Plate carbon fiber 1/8" birch core
Sure Grip Nova nylon plate with aluminum trucks
Check x4.

Dragon is offering 3 finishes: gloss, matte, and textured. I would guess matte or textured ... do you prefer textured?

Can I solicit/have anyone suggest a good online shop (nothing locally available, ain't it always the case) for wheels, plates, and trucks? If this is unacceptable, please disregard.

Quote:
You say you say you don't like heel stops, but reversing the Quad plate mount to make a heel stop gives you 3-5 times better stopping power.
Without the maneuverability at the ankle, I ALWAYS felt off balance trying to stop with inlines/landrollers. Braking was a fearful experience ... every ... single ... time!

I'm not sure how I'd feel with greater ROM at the ankle and a heel brake.

Thanks Armadillo.

Appreciate the time,
Kira
kj219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #28
Armadillo

Default Details on build.

Quote:
Dragon is offering 3 finishes: gloss, matte, and textured. I would guess matte or textured ... do you prefer textured?
I have used matte one side & gloss side toward plate, but I found that urethane glue adhered BETTER on the matte AFTER I coated it with epoxy. So now, I would get gloss on both sides and just rough up the gloss a little bit with abrasive paper before gluing. If you glue a nylon plate that is very flat, the flat gloss carbon mates well for a max bond with minimum glue. Note that Nova plate requires removal of the criss-cross pattern of reinforcing ribs on top to gain improved contact area with carbon plate.
----- RIBS:

----- REMOVED:

Quote:
Without the maneuverability at the ankle, I ALWAYS felt off balance trying to stop with inlines/landrollers. Braking was a fearful experience ... every ... single ... time!

I'm not sure how I'd feel with greater ROM at the ankle and a heel brake.
Kira
Trust me - you can handle a heel brake & will thank me if you make one.
It is just a matter of bending your knee adequately on the leg that is not braking.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; November 14th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #29
Iggy
DGS Racing

My outdoor build is a low cut Risport boot (about the ankle height of a typical tennis shoe), aluminum no-toe-stop Sure Grip Marathon plates forward mounted with the rear axle under my ankle and the front axle as far forward as it'll go, Roll Line Hydrogen wheels and a mix of Bones Reds and Swiss bearing I had laying around.

I've skated my Riedell 395 boots outdoor and found them a little too high in the ankle for my liking. I prefer to have a lot of mobility in my ankle for outdoor skating. If good range of mobility is important to you, maybe look at a Riedell 195 or possibly a low cut soccer shoe.

I've never used the Velocity wheels, but everyone on here that has seems to love them. I like the Roll Line wheels I have, but they're a little pricey. The Velocity wheels can be found on ebay cheap, come in 65mm and 70mm diameter, and like Armadillo mentioned they come with mini bearings.

As for bearings, the ABEC number really means nothing as far as performance in a skate bearing. Your best bet would be Bones or Sure Grip Qube bearings (unless you get the Velocity wheels with the bearings). Those are skate bearings. I know Bones makes bearings with labyrinth seals that are suppose to help keep the dirt and crap out better.

Plates are a debate for me. Alot of people say plastic plates are best for outdoor because the plastic absorbs the vibrations better. However, I've skated my magnesium Marathons with soft cushions outdoor and could hardly feel any vibration at all. And magnesium is WAY harder than plastic (obviously). I think the softness of your cushions is much more important for vibration reduction than the plate material. Plus, a metal plate will perform much better than a plastic one since the metal plate will not have the flex a plastic one will. Though the Nova plate that Armadillo uses is a good plastic plate. And you don't need toe stops or heel brakes outdoor. Just use a modified T-stop. Don't put your braking foot at a 90 degree angle to your front foot. Just turn it about 45 degrees or so and you'll stop just fine and you won't flat-spot your wheels.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM   #30
ambertree

Default what kind of bauer boots are those?

Hey roller_dudette:
What kind of Bauer boots are those? I've never seen them before.
-ambertree
ambertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #31
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambertree View Post
Hey roller_dudette:
What kind of Bauer boots are those? I've never seen them before.
-ambertree
Bauer hockey boots.
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #32
bradthedad
The Ragin Cajun

i use my indoor skates, outdoors, and just change the wheels, 595's sz 12 with a size 7 suregrip magnum da45 plate, mounted "normal" i would guess, i have used these, like this, for about 20 years, inside and out, and they work fine for me, i use a 80a wheel outside, and a 97a wheel inside, but i dont change anything else, the streets down here are not the best but i dont seem to have any problems, and the storms have ruined any "trail" we might have......