S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old August 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM   #21
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Ahhhh, now I am truly getting interested, I'm on the hunt for an outdoor wheel in the 57-60mm x 35-38w range to be used on 60 grit sandpaper, (painted concrete with sand mixed in) I'm after exercise not necessarily the speed.
Wow you like a small firm wheel. Not a lot of options for that. Have you looked at the Sure-Grip Sugar or the Radar Mojo?

www.socalskatingreviews.com
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM   #22
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Wow you like a small firm wheel. Not a lot of options for that. Have you looked at the Sure-Grip Sugar or the Radar Mojo?
Looking at them now, you definitly point out one of the other critical needs, a great hub, soft hubs stop on stones, hard hubs roll over-em
actually I'n trying to get below 60mm and below 88a but I do like both these wheels, more so the radar, love the feedback, thanks
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #23
Hot Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
That explains alot....like how you broke the counters on your bonts. Those trucks aren't doing anything to help you turn!
My trucks aren't tight and believe me, my skates turn when I want them to.

That photo was taken on a straightaway and just trying to get any useful part of my body in front of the pivot-turning-jammer who'd just cut from my outside towards the inside line. I'd jumped across sideways and, I think, only just landed - then swung my hips across when I realised I still wasn't close enough to the line. I'm in the infield in the next photo in the series, so a sharp corner was turned at some point.

I wish it WAS the action on my plates that destroys my boots, cos that's easily fixable.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #24
Ignatz
Brick House

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieScott View Post
Yours is the 2nd setup I've seen with the plate shoved up toward the toe, so that the front wheel is closer to the toe and the back wheel closer to the center of the foot. I'm sure there's a reason!
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #25
Armadillo

Default Softer wheels last longer on "sandpaper" surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Ahhhh, now I am truly getting interested, I'm on the hunt for an outdoor wheel in the 57-60mm x 35-38w range to be used on 60 grit sandpaper, (painted concrete with sand mixed in) I'm after exercise not necessarily the speed

tried the roll line giatto 57 x 47d it's about a 92 on the a scale squeals like chalk in a high pitch note

tried the radar flat out 62 x 88a, not bad a little large, about to try the flat outrageous- 62 x 88a but a little thinner, just wish it was a 60mm

tried the Boiani Star TL80 - 60 Star Roller Artistic Wheels- another 60d wheel, very hard

this thread just made me aware of the Powell Peralta Rat Bones Black 60mm 85a which looks about right just to wide and to heavy but close

my idea of a wonderful conversation
ursle,
With small wheels and an abrasive skate surface, you may want to drop back a few points on the hardness. Anything above ~83A is likely to wear rapidly, as the harder the wheels get the more quickly they are "sanded away"

-Armadillo
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #26
ursle
Street Skater

351's, matrix 170-lt blue cushions, labernyth, bones 62mm x 80a

Plates are mounted 1/4 " off the heel, to far back you say, I spend 3/4's of my time going backwards, works for me,

Old August 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #27
Armadillo

Default I like the way all this effort turned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadskater71 View Post
Great to see this new section. Congrats to those that made it happen.
I have had a couple of "evolutions" of my outdoor skates over the last 6-12 months.

Plate & Boot combo has stayed the same, but here it goes.....
[/IMG]
Enter Armadillo, dam him!!! His sale of outdoor wheels got me going and I couldn't stop!. The first set were these Hydrogens. 65mm, really fast but I always felt like the next step could be my last!! Not as compliant over rocks and things as the 62's. But fast. They also cut really easily on the inside of the wheel where the tyre is thinnest.
[/IMG]
Next came these. Bloody brilliant. A little heavy but they really do roll well. Take a smaller bearing, so while I wait for the 7mm variety from Doc, I am stuck with the 8mm & Axle sleeves.
But too fit these I had to fit coutersunk t-bolts to the boots/plates, as the wheels were touching the heads of the nuts.

While they were apart I did this as well....

[/IMG]

All the drilling basically means that the whole shebang weights pretty much (1500gms per complete skate) what it did with the route 62's, before the bigger wheels, countersunk mounting system and axle sleeves etc.. It's still way too heavy, but once they are on I really don't notice. Maybe I can drill some more holes.....

No, I am just going to enjoy them for a while now...
Your new skate setups look very good for serious outdoor skating at speed! Rack up some quality miles/kms now.

-Armadillo
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:43 AM   #28
AussieScott

Default Forward mount plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Yours is the 2nd setup I've seen with the plate shoved up toward the toe, so that the front wheel is closer to the toe and the back wheel closer to the center of the foot. I'm sure there's a reason!
Well the reason for the front wheels being mounted forward is to make going over rough surfaces easier.
Traditional American setups have the front axle under the ball of your foot.
If you hit a small rock you will be suddenly finding your skate slowing or stopping and naturally you dig in with your toes and because there is nothing under them you become an expert in gravel rash tasting.
Now we Aussies have the front axle right up the front so when you hit a small rock and dig in with your does you just keep on rolling with some discomfort.
Aussies have always forward mounted so the front axle is under the join between your big toe and foot or further forward again.
Great for indoors as well. I don't change plate position between indoor and outdoor skating only the stiffness of the action.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:24 PM   #29
cass38a

This is my set up, used for everything. Just change the wheels to suit.
[IMG][/IMG]
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM   #30
Armadillo

Default Magnesium plate?

cass38a,

Are your white Bont skates on SG S-A magnesuim plates? Did they come with flip axles, or were they swapped in?

-Armadillo
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:56 PM   #31
Armadillo

Default Magnesium plate?

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST! -- ONE TO MANY INTERRUPTIONS
Are your white Bont skates SG magnesuim plates? Did they come with flip axles, or were they swapped in? BTW, they look great with the white-white-red scheme!

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; August 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: DELETE this DOUBLE POST please
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM   #32
cass38a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST! -- ONE TO MANY INTERRUPTIONS
Are your white Bont skates SG magnesuim plates? Did they come with flip axles, or were they swapped in? BTW, they look great with the white-white-red scheme!

-Armadillo
I couldn't care less about the colors it was either going to be an all black boot ar all white............but thanks for the complement.

The plates are super white magnums and I swapped out the titainuim axels for the flips as part of the "aussie upgrade" which involved pissing off the toe stops. Check out this link for the story http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...332#post234332 BTW total skate with 62mm plastic hubbed wheels is less than 1100 grams.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM   #33
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Default Finally......

Nike Tiempo Soccer Cleats, Super White Magnums NTS, 70mm Velocity Race, NMB Bearings

A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:40 AM   #34
Mystic
SWM So Cal

www.socalskatingreviews.com

Last edited by Mystic; February 6th, 2010 at 04:21 AM.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM   #35
Armadillo

Default Sweet Aussie-style build

Let us know how they skate.
I'm wondering how the 45 degree ACTION (30 degree kingpin) works outdoors at speed.
I'm sure the wheels will be great.

I like the green swoosh too.
-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; August 14th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #36
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
ursle,
With small wheels and an abrasive skate surface, you may want to drop back a few points on the hardness. Anything above ~83A is likely to wear rapidly, as the harder the wheels get the more quickly they are "sanded away"
-Armadillo
Just spotted this, hardness Wise I find the sweet spot at around 80-82a, 78a is nice, great grip, if it's a thin wheel 35mm it's not bad, anything wider and it's a haul to move around, 84a and up are sweet but at speed I start to lose grip, it's one thing to skate in the rain and slide around a little bit, it's quite another to be at speed crossing over in a turn and start sliding off the cement and onto grass or what ever.
I was on some bones 62 x 38 80a's and happy till I found some earthwing superballs in a 56mm 82a, had to grind down the inside hub to fit on my matrix plates but my'oh'my, turny, fast, just the cats meow, Then I noticed on their web site that they made wheels in the D scale also, plastic...listening to the superballs today, hmmm, sounds chaulkie when they slide, plastic... they sure roll nice, they come in different hardness's hmm close to perfect

Last edited by ursle; September 5th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #37
Armadillo

Default Finished my Slider NTS outdoor build - with custom AL bars

Can't skate for a few more weeks but at least my new carbon fiber soled Slider outdoor speed skates will be ready when I am!
Swapping out steel kingpins for aluminum this week to gets me down to 1090 grams.

Next slider build will shed another 100-200 grams per skate by using one of the Nike Flywire series shoes with a carbon fiber sole upgrade:
Raketa - 250 grams

Zoom Victory+ - 280 grams

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; October 1st, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM   #38
Armadillo

Default Back to PICs of Quad Skates (wheels have their own thread)

NO MORE STEEL (almost)
I finally finished the Laser Slider plate conversion from steel parts to ALL aluminum and nylon (except axle nuts) dropping plate weight down to: ONLY 248 GRAMS!
Now uses a reversed kingpin with 2024 aluminum stud, and the action adjusts at bottom end using a single wrench.

This build uses the FULL SIZE SLider plate (slide bar not shortened) which is still very light. Here is breakdown:

Plate nylon ------------------------------------ 94 g.
Custom Aluminum bar ---------------------- 31 g.
Front Truck assembly w/ K-pin & all nuts -- 62 g.
Rear Truck assembly w/ K-pin & all nuts -- 61 g.
TOTAL ------------------------------------- 248 g.

Includes- Black truck 17 g., Titanium (tip threaded 7mm) axle 17 g. 2024 AL kingpin stud 11 g., AL jam nut 4 g., nylon flat top cushion washer 0.5 g., upper .60" tall urethane cushion 6 g., lower urethane washer .20" thick 2 g., lower nylon washer 0.4 g., Nylok action nut 3 g., two steel 7/16" axle nuts nylon insert 4 g.

Single SZ 10 OUTDOOR RACING skate now weighs 1091 grams - wheels+bearings=>399 g.; shoes => 385 g, Carbon fiber laminated sole plate+ glue => ~58 g.

Last edited by Armadillo; October 3rd, 2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #39
Broken Joe

Default Only pair together...

Beat up Altamura Panther...but comfy!!! My first ebay find a couple of years ago that came to me with Gardici 160mm plate, but I broke an axle and called DocSk8 for suggestions and alas came reverse kingpin with countersunk mounting points aluminum Marathon. Not too much of a forward mount but I have muscle and nerve damage in left ankle calf so this is how far I can go at the moment without too much difficulty.

And yes I know those are indoor wheels, so don't beat me up too bad for having them in the Outdoor Quad section... OK??

And yes they are H-E-A-V-Y!!! Just like M-E!!! LOL!!

Broken Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #40
quadskater71

Default Latest Build

After a few "near misses" with twisted ankles and the like, I decided to get a higher boot than the previous Hummel Soccer boot set up. I also want to use them as a indoor "dance skate", but only sometimes. So on went the Suregrip XL75 boots, semi-forward mounted (still feel too far back to me!) and the poor old Snyder Superdelux plates went under the knife AGAIN. This time the angle grinder to be exact! Not as light as they were, but skate great and the boot is really comfortable. Not sure what the next move is......[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]