S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 7th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #1
linklemming

Default Weird ankle foot pain after long skate

I have pretty much been skating 30-40 or so miles a week since April. Typically I do 1 or 2 10 milers during the week and a 20-30 mile skate on the weekend. While I had the typical back soreness in the beginning I have been pretty pain free for the last few months. I am skating on K2 V02's.

This last Sunday, I did a 30 miler. No real pain issues or soreness other than my quads and glutes and the outer part of the bottom of my foot (these are always experienced). On Monday I noticed a foot/ankle soreness that I have never experienced before. I notice it the most when going up/down stairs and a little when I walk. Its been getting better everyday so today I went to a parking lot to play around and could only get in 15 minutes or so before I decided I should stop.

Basically the area is on the outside of the foot about 1/3 way on the ankle side between the ankle bone and the heal. No swelling or redness at all but it sure doesnt feel good when I put pressure on it.

Any ideas on what I am experiencing?

Gary
linklemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Pepper Montana

Ditto to what Gary is asking. The location of my injury is identical. I felt that when I was tired during my Monday skate and going up hills the connective tissues were being stretched too far. I haven't skated since Monday because I need it too heal. Fat and slow ain't no way to ride the interstate!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #3
online inline

it would be good to figure out if this is caused from pressure in that area of the boot on the ankle/foot, or more of a connective tissue issue.

If the former, i'd start really exploring boot fit remedies. If the former, i'd start icing, allow time to heel, and build up gradually to the 30 miler next time.

Matters like this sometimes require medical attention. Keep that open as a posibility. I like that you are smart enough to quit when the pain returns. You could make it a lot worse.

No, i've never had this kind of foot issue, so wish i could help more. sounds like you really stressed some connective tissue, and it wants a little time to repair itself.

Aspirin is supposed to help alleviate tissue swelling, and is often recommended with icing, elevate, and structural support for the stressed area.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #4
linklemming

I would say its definately not a boot fit issue. Given a choice, I would say connective tissue. The soreness starts right outside the ankle bone.

The weird thing is there is absolutely no swelling or redness. I always thought you iced to reduce swelling.

Gary
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #5
online inline

no, it didn't sound like a boot fit issue becuase it continues to hurt even when the boots are off (ie: climbingstairs).

Ice is to reduce swelling but it also seems to get blood flowing in an area. Deep connective tissue may be inflamed and rubbing, but is too deep to cause noticable swelling on the surface. As long as you don't exceed 14 or 20 minutes of icing in an area, i don't think it can hurt (icing too long can cause camage though)..

Anyway, i've never had this particiular problem, but i have had very sore or fatgued tendons and ligaments and muscles. Mine always cleared up by taking it lgiht for a week or so. If it doesn't clear up with rest, i'd seek medical help. You probably just overdid it.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by linklemming View Post
I always thought you iced to reduce swelling.
Gary
From a nursing perspective, icing is generally for the first 24 hours of a sustained trauma to impede the flow to the area and prevent swelling. After that it's all about heat, to expedite flow to the area. The initial inflammatory reaction is expected to be well over by then and the increased circulation is used to revitalize the area. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #7
linklemming

Hmmm, the old ice vs heat debate

Perhaps I should just try beer, should I drink it warm or cold.

Its kind of hard to imagine a week without skating, I guess I will have to blow the cobwebs off the bike(s) this week.

Which brings up an interesting thing for me. I am/was a pretty avid cyclist both road and mountain but decided to totally focus on skating once it hooked me this year. I havent been on a bike in 2 months and typically wouldnt do more than 30 miles on the road at a time. Went out the other day to map some trails to skate and did 60 miles no problemo. Its amazing how much skating has improved my fitness.

Gary
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #8
rico
Enthusiasm > Speed

Default Same thing here

Jeez, after reading what you guys experienced, I have the same thing.
I have always told myself that "it's pain, not injury" so I just stayed off it, or I iced it down, or "beer'd" it down or stayed off it, but after a while that gets tiring.
What I did notice this time was that the pain began after finishing a long stretch of hills, as if my left ankle was not prepared for supporting my frame (body) after being bent up to face the hill, and pushing off that way.
I checked the fitting of my left boot, and this set-up was a Miller short track boot, and since I didn't use ankle braces, definitely, I believe it's the very short boot. So it's back to the calf-raises, squats, and deadlifts for me.
I think that if there is a predisposition for pain from repeat use of an ankle tendon, cartilage, sinew, whatever, then it WILL be associated with the boot, in that a supurb fitting will otherwise have avoided particular pain at the point.
rico is offline   Reply With Quote