S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old July 21st, 2017, 06:08 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Default Where did everyone go?

Where did everyone go? I mean, is there another place to talk about slalom skating, that I'm just missing? Please let us know. Thanks.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I'm still here, for whatever that's worth. I am more of a distance guy at heart, but when the weather sucks, I break out the cones. Posted a vid or two around here and have not improved much beyond that. So not much to say I guess.

You want to debrief any skating stories about ANYTHING, including slalom, start a thread (maybe this one), shoot me a PM and I will set up so I get notified when you, or anyone, posts there.

I have a weird feeling that it's just you and me up in here.

I already have one skate bud who texts me her GPS maps, miles, and such daily. Beats my wife 10x over with text volume. So I am used to having just ONE skate buddy chatting about everything possible on wheels. I would be happy to double my skate support group! (Wife is not the jealous type thank God). I do not know one person in my area who skates cones. Fairly sure there are zero. And only one distance skater locally as mentioned, who I actually get to skate with in person.

EDIT: Added you to my Friends list. Maybe I get alerts when you post that way.

Last edited by Joey; July 24th, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:01 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Aw shucks, thanks for reaching out. I guess there's really not too many slalom skaters here anymore. Oh well.

A few months ago I moved from inline skating to quad skating slalom and it's a whole new world. Recently my son started toe-gun and toe-wheeling tricks, so I'm completely "out-shined." SUPER PROUD no doubt.

Any hoo, just seeing who's around. Take care.
Old July 31st, 2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Aw shucks, thanks for reaching out. I guess there's really not too many slalom skaters here anymore. Oh well.
I believe Facebook is killing a lot of other social media sites as well as this one. Certainly not the "good 'ol days" around the USA for numbers of skaters, but add in facebook, snapchat, and others, where skate buddies can shoot photos and videos back and forth and you can see why not many here anymore.

Quote:
A few months ago I moved from inline skating to quad skating slalom and it's a whole new world. Recently my son started toe-gun and toe-wheeling tricks, so I'm completely "out-shined." SUPER PROUD no doubt.
Can you switch back to inlines easily? I have been thinking of trying quads again after 25 years on inlines (25 years on quads before that). Wondering if I can easily go from one to the other skate type easily. I know two people who claim it is no biggie, but still wary of this. Basically, I would like quads in rinks and inlines outside.

Also, you should shoot short videos of your son and put them on facebook. Then come here and give "us" the links to the videos. If you have time of course. We want to be proud of him too!

Quote:
Any hoo, just seeing who's around. Take care.
Over at Fitness And Training we are down to 3 or 4 regulars. Dinosaurs wandering in a Ghost Town.

ANd BTW...I did get a notification via Email that you posted a response here. So I can keep an eye out for more easily.
Old August 4th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Oh yeah, you can definitely get back to quads. I did after 30 years of inline. It took about 3 months to find my sweet spot. You'll do especially well on quads after learning slalom on inlines. Trust me on that.

Regarding posting videos...I don't do any social networking, so no vids will post, I just couldn't care less about face book. Yes, my boyfriend refers to me as "cro-magnun woman." If I post something on youtube, I'll let you know.

Ghost town!
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Oh yeah, you can definitely get back to quads. I did after 30 years of inline. It took about 3 months to find my sweet spot. You'll do especially well on quads after learning slalom on inlines. Trust me on that.
Thanks. I need to spend more money on skate stuff!

Quote:
Regarding posting videos...I don't do any social networking, so no vids will post, I just couldn't care less about face book. Yes, my boyfriend refers to me as "cro-magnun woman." If I post something on youtube, I'll let you know.
You aren't alone. My really active friends don't do Facebook because, well, they are doing other stuff! It's a shame, because these are the type of people that have interesting stuff to share. Most facebook pages are full of selfies, daily food images, and maybe some pets. BORING!

I don't follow anyone on Facebook anyway. I have one Community Service facebook page for skating (Inline, quads, and longboards) basically focused on outdoor locations to skate. It's strictly informational and I know all the spots because I have an addiction problem with wheels.

https://www.facebook.com/SkateNOLA

So not caring about facebook I kinda misspoke here. YouTube would be great. And you will be happy to have video footage of your son's progress as well as him 40 years from now enjoying those videos. I was lucky my dad took tons of photos of us growing up so I speak from experience here.

Quote:
Ghost town!
Seem strangely familiar?

Old August 5th, 2017, 05:28 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Oh hey, I see you long-board too. Do you have a pair of Freeline, or Drift skates? If not, and you like having toys, I'd highly recommend a pair. It really blows peoples minds when they see them, because generally speaking, they're not well known. Here's a video I found of my step brother!!! Of course I had to get a pair the next day!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4d...h4OQ8-iP3Hbhtw

No one at the rink ever wants to try it, only the skate boarders are daring enough.

Love the ghost town pic!!!
Old August 5th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #8
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Oh hey, I see you long-board too. Do you have a pair of Freeline, or Drift skates? If not, and you like having toys, I'd highly recommend a pair. It really blows peoples minds when they see them, because generally speaking, they're not well known. Here's a video I found of my step brother!!! Of course I had to get a pair the next day!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4d...h4OQ8-iP3Hbhtw

No one at the rink ever wants to try it, only the skate boarders are daring enough.

Love the ghost town pic!!!
Ha! I was just showing guys at work those "skates" yesterday! Thought you had to be Asian to master them. Seriously! Your vid was first Anglo dude i ever seen rocking those. Even the one local guy riding those is Asian. He offered to let me try. Next time i will!

I was thinking about quads and another longboard specifically for distance. So my toy budget is currently spoken for, but if i like that guy's skates enough...who knows.

I really dig that kilt made of scarfs in the vid though! That is a must!