S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 17th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #4381
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Default Busted :}]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Gnoll View Post
Sept 9 Last long one before A2A. 6:09 hrs, 68.75 miles. 153 avg HR Done solo, at a deliberate pace with a few good efforts (mostly climbs and one real good bike chase - They didn't drop me, our routes just diverged, and we had been playing "tag" for quite a while before that) thrown in. Also, someone flagged me down claiming to be a writer for a local paper. We'll see next week or so...
And, it turns out he was a writer for a local paper, and they had some space to fill. About 5", including picture. The paper was the Bay Weekly ("Always Free!") which an advertiser that is given out around the Chesapeake Bay area of Maryland. I'm in the 13-19 September edition. Text can be found on their website. but the picture is only in the print edition, and my scanner's too cheap to handle it.

Sept 14 Off, rainout, Little Girl's sleepover, belly dancing birthday party. toxic cutness.
Sept 15 Off, beach, detox,
Sept 16 1/2 mile Hill climbs 8 @ roughly 2:30 each, AVG HR during climb: 157. Hammer up hill, and over the top, coast to stop, skate back over the hilltop, coast down and to a stop, repeat until you revisit the last meal.

Who knew that cheese was dangerous?
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #4382
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Gnoll View Post
And, it turns out he was a writer for a local paper, and they had some space to fill. About 5", including picture.

Hey Dev! Got a link to it?

Glenn
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #4383
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Sept 16:
Outdoor practice at Ninigret Criterium, Charleston, RI w/ Team RISK.

After spending the day on my sportbike, riding to a remote coffee house, I packed the skates for a hard outdoor practice.

We did mostly intervals. The criterium is a track that features both left and right turns and those of us who are used to indoor skating's left turns find the right-handers a challenge. Add in sprints of 100 yards each and it makes it even more difficult.

Of each .85 mile pap, we had 3x100 yard sprints set up. I was actually holding my own against skaters that were strolling away from me only this past March.

I was happy.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4384
Tigger

Default NSIM

Sept. 15th -- NSIM

I raced with the Advanced women (or was it Wave A? Why is there no consistency between the group names across races??? I know cycling has its problems, but at least we had consistent names for the categories ). I said hello to Jessica before the start, and recognized several other women from the SPIM.

It was cold and windy (30 degrees at the start, and I think 6-12 mph cross/headwinds), making for some tough decisions on how much to wear. During the race, I saw plenty of people who appeared to have cramped up in the cold, and was glad I decided to go with tights, a long sleeve jersey, and a short-sleeve jersey on top.

My impression of the pack I was in was that the wind really held us together. There were several solo jumps, and a couple jumps with 2-3 people that I thought could have gone, but we never got enough people working together making a real jump from the pack to get away.

There were 6-8 skaters doing nearly all the pulls (Jessica, Heather P., Martha, Vickie, Lynne, a couple others, and I did what I could). As it worked out, nearly all of us stayed together through the race. There was one crash at the beginning and several more toward the end, but no serious injuries of which I know.

We had some trouble passing a couple packs. Especially on the off-ramp from I-35, there was a pack that would not get out of our way. Some of the guys would move to the right, and others went left to take advantage of a passing opportunity. Most everyone else was excellent about letting us by, but this blocking nearly made more of us crash since we were skating over debris in the left shoulder of the off-ramp, and allowed skaters we had just dropped to catch back up.

Then, on the hill up to the bridge over I-35, the decisive move was made. I was planning on making it, but never got the chance. Jessica tore up that hill like she was being pulled up it. I followed her and one other skater to the right of the rest of the pack, and we pushed over the top of the bridge. I admit I was scared after hopping over a couple downed skaters and almost crashing while passing the men's pack. I couldn't force myself to be aggressive enough in the descent, but Jess sure was! She took a great line through the torn-up corner, and pushed it as hard as she could to the finish. I made a more conservative descent and pushed it after the corner. I was thinking "too bad I'm not a sprinter" but then thought "well, who says I'm not?" I surprised myself by passing one woman after the final corner and closing in on (but not passing) one more.

Overall: my second race was another fantastic learning experience. I learned how to maneuver within the pack, and got a pretty good feel for what to expect from the other skaters. Next time, I'd like to be more bold, not to mention more solid on my skates. There are a bunch of strong women in that pack, and I'd love to see us making some breaks. And I'd like to pass along a huge "thank you!" to all the volunteers, all the folks we passed who encouraged us, and especially all the women within the pack who skate hard but fairly... it is having others like that around that makes this so much fun!
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #4385
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Great job Tigger! Sounds like you had a great race. What was your time? If you were up there with Queen Jessica, you must have been smoking!
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #4386
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Sept 12 BWI trail 10.8 miles.
Sept 16 BWI trail 16 miles.

Finally got my 110 bont 3pt "S" frames. Got a pair of Magnesium and a pair of Aluminum. So I put on a aluminum frame on the right foot, and a magnesium one on the left.

The jury is still out...

Interesting how much noise the magnesium makes, while the aluminum is quiet.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #4387
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Sept 16 Session skate with Madeline and NWGlenn

nothing to report.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4388
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

9/15 - NS Marathon - 1:48:28 - new personal best (out of 2 races only hee hee)

9/17 - I must be getting in decent shape, because I felt darn good today. Went out for a recovery skate and felt good enough to throw some tempo in there and push just a bit. 12.6 miles in 55+ minutes @ 13.5 mph - HR 143.

Hope to get one more skate in before practice this weekend. We still have outdoor practices until November (weather permitting) and I want to improve as much as possible before we move indoors (boo!)
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #4389
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
we move indoors (boo!)
Nothing wrong with indoors...It is just a different sort of pain...Welcome to interval hell...
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #4390
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Yeah, well hopefully I can improve some of my horrible technique
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #4391
online inline

Post -9/15/07 :- hardest day of the year for me, without a doubt. Post NSIM, last major race of the year, end of a season, the start of months and months of training alone on abondened trails, often in the dark, always in the cold, all winter long... i could go on and on but it's so god damned depressing even i'm starting to laugh...
screw it. First day i took off in well over a month. Tomorrow i'll start over again like i did last year at this time, and the year before that.
It rained today. Winter's begun in more ways than one.
How was your day?
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #4392
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
the start of months and months of training alone on abondened trails, often in the dark, always in the cold, all winter long...
I know, ain’t it great? I can have my favorite skate spot back, I don’t have to worry about having a clean set of Under Armour*, I won’t be pissed at myself if i forgot to put my water bottle in the freezer the night before… I can’t wait!!!

* because a cotton t-shirt (or two) is fine in the winter, not because I skate stinky when nobody's around.

Last edited by Bryan; September 18th, 2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: olfactorial clarification
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #4393
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Finally got my 110 bont 3pt "S" frames. Got a pair of Magnesium and a pair of Aluminum. So I put on a aluminum frame on the right foot, and a magnesium one on the left.

The jury is still out...

Interesting how much noise the magnesium makes, while the aluminum is quiet.
I keep meaning to comment on the sound of my Bonts… it’s a very distinctive sound. Kinda like a skateboard, but not all rattly and hectic. Very smooth, kinda like… well, that’s the thing, I really don’t know how to describe it. But I like it. And they get really loud when I sprint; I’ve noticed that it’s often enough to warn people on the trail ahead of me, which of course I like.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #4394
speedysktr
President of Everything

PEOPLE !!! ONLINE INLINE IS IN TROUBLE!!!
WE NEED TO ORGANIZE A GROUP HUG ON THE
THE DOUBLE!!!
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #4395
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #4396
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
THE DOUBLE!!!
thanks, JT. I really appreciate the thought. Tell Lenny to make room. LOL.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #4397
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
THE DOUBLE!!!
The problem really will be the flashbacks in a couple of months when O-I is skating Alki and there is a 20mph headwind off of the Sound...That is when he really will need the hug! This was just the warning sign.
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #4398
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

September 15

NSIM - 1:37:30

September 18

Getting right into it with a brutal interval/sprint workout - almost felt like punishment

5 sprints @ 30 seconds each. Had a hard time getting going, well, because I can't sprint.

3 x 1 mile intervals, no problem there
#1 3:01
#2 2:56
#3 2:53

4 x 1 minute sprints

I was so exhausted when I was done I almost took myself out - it's a good thing I'm exceptional at saves otherwise I would have crashed a hundred times by now.

Worth noting - I've been doing almost all of my training on Hypers (+G, Stripes) - always have. Today I tried out some used Stargrips speedy sent me and I LOVED THEM! It almost felt like I had a tailwind the whole way. I don't remember who said they suck, but I really like them.
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #4399
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
thanks, JT. I really appreciate the thought. Tell Lenny to make room. LOL.

Come on O-I we'll make room.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #4400
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Worth noting - I've been doing almost all of my training on Hypers (+G, Stripes) - always have. Today I tried out some used Stargrips speedy sent me and I LOVED THEM! It almost felt like I had a tailwind the whole way. I don't remember who said they suck, but I really like them.
StarGrips came on my K2s as well, and I also think they are really good wheels. I read some bad stuff here about them too, but I have to say I'm convinced they are really good wheels. I know we've had a hard time getting them in the larger sizes because they are so popular we can't get them (I bought Matters instead for Duluth). They are a bit thinner, which I think I like and they fit a bit better than the Matters, too.