S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:03 AM   #1
morgothaod

Default Should I switch to quad skates?

Are quad skates easier to use outdoors than inline skates? I'm a new inline skater and I am having trouble keeping my balance on my skates (I have many close calls for almost falling down). I'm skating for recreation and want to feel safe on my feet. Should I stick with what I have and practice a lot or would I feel safer on quads? Thanks!
morgothaod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:05 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
Are quad skates easier to use outdoors than inline skates? I'm a new inline skater and I am having trouble keeping my balance on my skates (I have many close calls for almost falling down). I'm skating for recreation and want to feel safe on my feet. Should I stick with what I have and practice a lot or would I feel safer on quads? Thanks!
For outdoors, inlines are safer by design. The narrow wheels kick out rocks and debris that could normally stop a quad skate and cause you to fall. If your paths are clean and with good smooth surfaces, quads will work fine, but inlines can normally handle a wider range of imperfect surfaces that quads can't normally handle.

Last edited by fierocious1; April 3rd, 2019 at 10:47 PM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2019, 12:18 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Yes, get quads, they're more stable for beginners, if you get 10,000 miles in and want to go faster, get inlines.

But if you just want to skate a bit, see the sights, and don't want to race in a straight line, quads are great.

Outdoor quad wheels are softer (78-82 duro) then indoor quads (88-102 duro)
Old April 3rd, 2019, 06:39 PM   #4
Joey

Quote:
I skated quads exclusively for 25 years, then inline skates only for 25 years. Now I am back to quad skates. 100% of my skating is out of doors.

I can't speak for ease of learning because I was an expert skater by 10 years of age. But I will say that the hazards to using inline skates vs. quads outdoors are quite a bit different. For example:

A twig is more likely to take me down on inline skates.
A rock is more likely to take me down on quads.

Skating wet streets/trails on my inline skates is impossible and slippery.
Skating wet streets/trails on my quads is EASY and sure-footed.

My inline skates are darned comfy (cost $500+) so they better be.
My quad skates are darned comfy, lighter, and cooler because they are low cut. Yes, my quads are expensive models as well ($500+).

Both are heat mold-able and needed it.

Trolly tracks and blind bumps (tactile paving) are no issue on inline skates.
Both of ^these things are tricky on quads.

In summary, I find my quads to be much more stable and less likely to take me down where I live because there are plenty of twigs on our paths. If there were more rocks I might lean toward my inline skates. Wet ground? Quads hands down.

Hope this helps.
Old April 4th, 2019, 04:21 PM   #5
wired

Quote:
Should I stick with what I have and practice a lot or would I feel safer on quads?
A bit of this would likely depend on where you are skating. Streets, trails and wherever your fancy takes you inlines are likely a better long term choice.

OTOH if you are picking a spot to skate like a public skating area, unused tennis/basketball/squash court, parking lot or the like where the surface is uniform then quads would be a hands down favorite. For me they are much more comfortable and stable.

Old April 5th, 2019, 08:19 PM   #6
morgothaod

Well, I am practicing right now in a recently paved parking lot. I'm doing a lot better than my first time when I joined a meetup.com group and we skated on the sidewalk and in the street. I'm not comfortable skating on the road even if I was skilled. I think I would much rather skate on a bicycle trail (Concrete). How long would you say it'll take for me as a beginner to start feeling comfortable on skates? I can move forward good for the most part. Occasionally I'll lose my balance a little bit. Also I can somewhat do crossover turns with my right foot (dominant foot). I find making right turns a lot more difficult though. I have trouble braking as well using the heel brake. It's a bit uncomfortable for me to be in the correct position to apply my brake.
Old April 6th, 2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Presston

On a personal note...... everyone should switch to quads.

You wont know if it's for you if you don't try it. For me, I tore the meniscus in my left knee in high school.... inlines don't give my knees enough stability. Thats why I swear by quads.

PS, quads are way more comfortable than the plastic molded ski boots inlines come in.
Presston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 11:08 PM   #8
morgothaod

Well... I have been skating each day and today I felt pretty confident. When I get scared though, I just bend down and touch my knees. As a beginner, do you recommend that I do skating drills? I saw one on youtube where you skate forward on one leg and then point your toe down on the other leg to roll on the first wheel. Another one was practice making "lemons" with your skates (Start with skates pointed out and then push them so your toes move in towards each other and then repeat).

I believe I may have gotten the wrong size skate though because my feet hurt a little when wearing my skates. I didn't know they come in 1/2 sizes (Rollerblade brand) and I bought a 10 even though I wear a 10.5 Men's US size.
Should I go to the roller rink pro shop to look at quads or maybe "Play it Again Sports"? I would hate to buy the wrong size online and then have to pay $15 return shipping.
Old April 7th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

A hard plastic shell is always going to hurt.
Used quads are perfectly useable, the most important thing is a good boot fit, the plates and wheels can be changed, used plates are available also.
Any time skating on any type of skate is giving you more balance and experience, wristguards are your friend, don't practice falling but do think about spreading your weight out to absorbe the fall over most of your body, not your hand or knee or shoulder, the worst falls are when you're standing still, they happen fast and furious.
Old April 7th, 2019, 09:55 PM   #10
morgothaod

Do you recommend my shoe size for my quad size? Are there any websites you recommend I look at? Or brands to consider?
Old April 8th, 2019, 07:03 AM   #11
wired

Quote:
Do you recommend my shoe size for my quad size? Are there any websites you recommend I look at? Or brands to consider?
Most people's shoe size is too big for shoes/boots used in athletic pursuits. You want a shoe/boot that fits your foot without you foot moving. Foot movement in the shoe/boot causes blisters and impairs your ability to make accurate movements.

Most people's street shoes are a half to one and a half sizes too large for athletic pursuits. The most accurate way to determine shoe size is with a Brannock Device which is what they have at most shoe stores.

Old April 16th, 2019, 10:22 AM   #12
CNQuadSkater

Default Outdoor quad roller skating is possible.

With 78A、75mm quad wheels,I can skating everywhere with inline skater.
CNQuadSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2019, 02:30 AM   #13
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presston View Post
On a personal note...... everyone should switch to quads.
As an expert on quads it took me about 1 week to become decent on inline skates and about 1 month to feel like they were part of me.

Quote:
PS, quads are way more comfortable than the plastic molded ski boots inlines come in.
True for plastic boots. My inline skates are one piece all leather with carbon fiber (no separate liner) and heat mold-able. After break-in they are more comfy than my bedroom slippers. Powerslide Hardcore EVO 2 boots, 2015 model. $$$ however.