S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old September 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #1
newspix1

Default Using crash pad shorts after bad wipe-out

Hi Folks,

My name is A.J. Sisco, I'm a 54 year-old active male living in New Orleans with my wife, two children, house, everything. The full catastrophe. I've been quad skating since the early 80's. I did take about a 10 year break from the sport and just recently started skating again. However as you will see from my following comments I will need to take another break for at least a few months.

I was really digging my new skates, which were a lot like my old Oak Street's which I lost to Hurricane Katrina.
Riedell Route 66 Hockey Boot
Riedell super light Dynapro Nylon plates and trucks
Radar Pure in Black 66mm, 78A
With KWIK 9 bearings
Anyway last week I took a nasty fall. I fault the safety equipment I was wearing at the time, wrist guards with a big hunk of plastic on the whole palm section. I should have trusted my experience, and gut instincts on wrist guards, always hated them, now I know why. I was coming up on a group of people walking in Audubon Park, and not wanting to just zoom past them I was slowing down by making a series of big S-turns when my two front wheels touched. Having skated for many years I knew what was coming next. Anyway, I put my left hand out, I was falling to the left, to try and break the fall, this is what I hate about wrist guards, verses padded gloves, the plastic palm hit the pavement and just flew into the air. My hip couldn't have hit the ground any harder if I'd had just put my hands behind my back. I really believe that if I had been wearing my gloves, which came in the mail while I was in the hospital, I could have easily rolled out of the crash with just a few minor scrapes, maybe a sprained or at worse a broken wrist instead of a broken hip, which now has three pins in it, OUCH! I guess I'll be in the market for some crash pad shorts when I get the OK from the doc to start rolling again. Ugh!

What I'm wondering is there any of you guys/gals out there that have wiped-out this bad, and still skate? And if so how long did it take you to get back up?

Also, I don't think I could skate again without some heavy duty crash pad shorts. I've been checking out a few different brands which I'll list below. Any advice would be helpful. Please keep in mind, I could care less how goofy I might look, just don't want to damage the hip again, even if I look like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man skating by.

http://www.skeletools.com/impact_sho...tector_s/4.htm

http://www.triple8.com/shop/product/...-Padded-Shorts

http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/hi...ct_shorts.html

I'm Leaning towards the Skeletoos, but would like to hear from anyone who has worn something like these. The closest thing I ever worn was a pair of 1970's padded short-shorts from Rector. Needless to say my short-shorts days have long past, as have the 70's, which I will always miss, with the exception of those shorts!

Thanks to all,
A.J. Sisco

Last edited by newspix1; September 25th, 2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: removing broken link
newspix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #2
cliff

Default Take your time healing . . .

. . . and if there are any indoor rinks available, maybe start there to get back into the swing of things.

I have the Hillbilly Hip Pads, which seem pretty good and are not overly warm:
http://www.mbs.com/productcart/pc/vi...?idProduct=114

I also have the Skeletools crash vest, which is quite heavy and hot.

Probably the Skeletools will give more protection for your hips, but will cost more and be hotter.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Armadillo

Default Sorry to hear you wipe out requires serious surgery and slow recovery

I have managed to break each of my shoulders this summer back-to-back.
Six weeks after breaking my right shoulder when a wheel came off at speed outdoors, I was just getting back on my skates & thought indoors might be safer (even though I never rink skate) . Ended up locking my wheels at the rink just like you did outside, and landed hard enough to break my left shoulder too. Now 2-1/2 weeks later I still can't lift my left arm, but at least no surgery for me.

Still, I am looking at better protection as you are. At age 60, my bones do seem to have lost some strength. I always wear wrist-knee-elbow pads & a helmet. But hips and shoulders can still be impacted. Falling, though not too frequent, was always expected as part of the outdoor skating reality, yet it was never a big concern - just get up and keep skating. Butil now that bones are breaking the perspective shifts dramatically to what makes us safer!

I am also looking at maybe adding more items of protection gear too.

Get well fast.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; September 6th, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #4
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I don't know exactly what wrist guard you had but I think wrist guards are much better protection than padded gloves.

There are always situations where someone falls and land not in a normal way and the protection just didn't work the way we would have expected. Just like you hear people getting injured in a car crash where the seat belt hurt them. Does that mean not to wear a seat belt? It could be in your case that's just what happened. A padded gllove does not help preventing hyperextention of the wrist. The speed pro's who wear them are falling differently from an average skater who easily falls backwards and side ways.

Like I always say, protect the joints, skin grows.

But ultimately what cliff says is true. If your just getting back into it, try some indoor skating first. Outdoor can be tricky even for experiences skaters if you aren't on a flat smooth surface, especially on quads. (I stuck that in just to dig at the "armored rat".)

Like the most of us, we fall, we get up, and we try again.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Wear whatever padding it takes to get back out there, and don't worry what anyone else thinks. I'd wear football pads if I had to... Get well soon!

I wouldn't blame the wrist guards either. They are nice because they slide instead of digging in.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #6
newspix1

Default Thanks for your replies

Thanks for your replies guys. I hope I'm not down to long.

Cliff, I agree that the Skeletools seem to provide the best protection. I can live with hot and heavy, just can't do the whole broken hip thing again if it can be avoided. Really, another crash like the last one will mean the end of skating for me. My wife already thinks I'm crazy for even considering skating again. But what the heck, I could have been killed just driving to the park that day. What can you do, hide inside your house? Then you'll just end up slipping in the bathroom and cracking your head open on the sink!

Armadillo, great to hear that your still rolling at 60. Most of my friends, wife included think I'm nuts for skating at my age. I guess a lot of folks think once you reach a certain age you should be put out to pasture. Well, I'm not ready for the rocking chair just yet. I hope your shoulder starts feeling better soon.

Sheldon, I would never discourage anyone from wearing whatever safety gear they are comfortable with. However, I'm almost certain that if I had been wearing my gloves I wouldn't have three pins in my hip right now. And I would gladly trade a broken wrist for a broken hip any day. I truly believe I could have rolled out of my spill if I would of had even the slightest control. But when that wrist guard hit the pavement it shot out like I was on ice. Leaving me completely out of control. Not a good feeling, nor good outcome.

Best,
A.J.

Last edited by newspix1; September 5th, 2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: removing broken photo link
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspix1 View Post
Sheldon, I would never discourage anyone from wearing whatever safety gear they are comfortable with. However, I'm almost certain that if I had been wearing my gloves I wouldn't have three pins in my hip right now. And I would gladly trade a broken wrist for a broken hip any day. I truly believe I could have rolled out of my spill if I would of had even the slightest control. But when that wrist guard hit the pavement it shot out like I was on ice. Leaving me completely out of control. Not a good feeling, nor good outcome.
Something with more grip than your leather gloves, like this, and you prolly would have walked away completely uninjured. There is a kind with carbide in the palm that will grip even when wet, but I couldn't find a link. With that much grip, you would have felt better AFTER the fall than before.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/PF300
I don't why they make pads for skating, motorcycling, skiing, etc so that they slide. Lots of traction would clearly be better. None of that bothersome gently sliding to a stop like with smooth plastic. Just tumbling, limbs flailing, dislocated and broken limbs. Not sure why it hasn't caught on.
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #8
newspix1

Default Whatever

Hey Bill,

You can wear whatever safety equipment you like, and you'll get no flak from me.

The reason I signed up for this site is to see if anyone has come back from the kind of injury I have. And, if so, how long it took.

If you want to criticize and insult me for my views on wrist guards, then have at. I do wear safety gear, just not the same setup you do, so I guess that makes me fair game for your rather juvenile comments

Best,
A.J

Old September 5th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #9
Armadillo

Quote:
Thanks for your replies guys. I hope I'm not down to long.

Armadillo, great to hear that your still rolling at 60. Most of my friends, wife included think I'm nuts for skating at my age. I guess a lot of folks think once you reach a certain age you should be put out to pasture. Well, I'm not ready for the rocking chair just yet. I hope your shoulder starts feeling better soon.

Best,
A.J.
A piece of advice on safer outdoor quad breaking => HEEL STOPS!

By doing a reversed plate mount your braking improves by a factor of three times (3X). Once you try it there is no going back.

-Armadillo
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #10
newspix1

Default Heel stops!

Hey, that looks pretty cool. Don't know if I could get use to that setup at this point in my skating career, since I usually just kind of jump up and land backwards on my stops. But I think If I were just starting out, or switching from inline skates, can I say "inline" in this forum, it would work nicely.

Best,
A.J.
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Armadillo

Default takes 15 minutes to master the heel stop

You would pick this up in no time at all. It is more natural.

-Armadillo
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #12
newspix1

Default Gruesome injury PIC forum

Hey,

I was just over looking at the "Gruesome injury PIC forum". Wow, that is a really bad bruise. That looks even worse than my busted hip. At least on the outside. Hope that's healed up some since the picture was taken.

The reason I'm looking for some good crash pads shorts is I need to protect my new parts, shown below.

As for the backward mount, I think I should just stay with what I know, and try to keep my two front wheels from touching!
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
<snip>If you want to criticize and insult me for my views on wrist guards, then have at. I do wear safety gear, just not the same setup you do,
Everyone gets to think through the options availble. Just trying to help people see the kind of equipment that is generally preferred. The idea of a new skater reading your thread and ditching wrist guards for work gloves is very troubling to me.

But you, you are clearly experienced enough and wise enough to decide what works best for you. I don't want to criticise you at all.

Nasty break. Get well soon.

Last edited by Bill in Houston; September 5th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #14
newspix1

Default work gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Everyone gets to think through the options availble. Just trying to help people see the kind of equipment that is generally preferred. The idea of a new skater reading your thread and ditching wrist guards for work gloves is very troubling to me.

Nasty break. Get well soon.
Bill,

I never suggested that anyone use work glove for skating. Not really sure where you got that impression. What I prefer is a padded skating glove. They were made by Rector/Hobie specifically for skating. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Don't think the rainbow look will ever really catch on at the job site.

Best,
A.J.

Old September 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Armadillo

Default I see the issue with gloves vs. wrist guards

I have encountered this issue twice in a couple falls earlier in the year.
I wear solid wrist guards that sandwich my wrist between twp pieces of thick plastic contoured to my wrist's natural slightly bent position. Fingers & thumb stick out normally.

On these falls I jammed my thumbs and one finger, because I tried to use them to help reduce impact. Afterward, I realized my goal should always be for ONLY the plastic to hit the ground - NO DIGITS. This is not always so easy a plan to maintain in the moment of falling, as fingers seem to want to help out. It is not like my mind registers the ground as burning hot - DO NOT TOUCH.

Then I thought of adding a glove, but digits can still get jammed with a glove too. Really whats needed is a wrist guard with ground-side digit protection of sturdy plastic, but then the fingers will become fairly unusable.

So I guess the best option is to practice pulling digits BACK away from the ground as you reach forward, with wrist guard bulge presented to the max forward. Practicing this motion with arms & hands actually did seem to help reprogram my digits to pull back during a fall.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; September 6th, 2009 at 01:10 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #16
2old2sk8t

I've been using the Crash Pads shorts model 2500 from day one, when I started skating a couple years ago. http://www.crash-pads.com/product_in...67b4f648858cb7 They work great!

I knew there would be falls and I wanted to be well-protected. I've taken a few nasty falls along the way (strictly outdoor skater), and I've walked away from every one with absolutely no injury. And they hold up very well -- very abrasion resistant. I would never skate without them. To me, it would be like going for a drive and not buckling up. I don't care if they look silly, but frankly, I don't think they do.

I also use the Rollerblade Lux pad set. I love they way they fit, and the wrist guards are particularly well designed -- IMHO. (The same guards Armadillo described?) http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...LAID=116056359
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #17
RandD
2500 Crash pad for this 1

Default Sorry to hear of your injury.

I am a relative newbie as for skating goes (Inline)

But what I ended up getting is Inline skating hockey pads, not as thick/well padded as the ones show on this thread but I have taken a few tumbles in them and they take the edge of the hurt.
Now if could just get some decent wrist protection, I fell on my hand that was behind me a bent it, it has taken a bit time to stop hurting, I thought I broke it at first.
And I have hit the inside of my knee twice that hurts like the dickens I am icing it right now.....
Once again hope your recovery is swift, and you are up and around very soon.

RandD

Last edited by RandD; September 5th, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added onto posting
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #18
newspix1

Default hockey pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandD View Post
I am a relative newbie as for skating goes (Inline)

But what I ended up getting is Inline skating hockey pads, not as thick/well padded as the ones show on this thread but I have taken a few tumbles in them and they take the edge of the hurt.

RandD
RandD,

I think some roller hockey pads would have worked fine for me before the wipe-out, but at this point, what with metal pins holding my hip together I'm going for the biggest, thickest pads I can find.

Would really like to see if anyone was making crash pad shorts that have flexible plastic sheet sandwiched between two dense foam layers to form the padding. Don't care how goofy it looks, just don't want to purchase any more parts from the hospital!

2old2sk8t,

Yeah, the 2500 Crash Pads look nice, and seem to offer lots of protection. I know I didn't list them with my original post, but they have been on my radar from the start.

Best,
A.J.

Old September 5th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #19
RandD
2500 Crash pad for this 1

Quote:
RandD,

I think some roller hockey pads would have worked fine for me before the wipe-out, but at this point, what with metal pins holding my hip together I'm going for the biggest, thickest pads I can find.

Would really like to see if anyone was making crash pad shorts that have flexible plastic sheet sandwiched between two dense foam layers to form the padding. Don't care how goofy it looks, just don't want to purchase any more parts from the hospital!
Best,
A.J.
Yes I agree now you need all the protection you can get, I was just saying what I am using, sorry for the misunderstanding, it still jars you when you fall no matter what you are wearing, unless it's bubble wrap.....
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #20
ursle
Street Skater

Gleamed these off the xsportsprotective.com website, the 661 evo 3do bomber padded shorts are high tech,(10th down), I had a pair for snowboarding but they had no tail bone proctection,sent them back, nice customer service, otherwise 3do is great stuff, I use the kneepads on snow...

Crash Pads 2500 Padded Shorts with Tail Shield
MSRP: $80.00
ONLY: $74.95
Triple Eight Bumsavers Padded Shorts
MSRP: $44.50
ONLY: $39.95
ProTec IPS Men's Padded Shorts
MSRP: $50.00
ONLY: $39.95

McDavid Thudd Men's Padded Shorts
MSRP: $54.95
SixSixOne Pro Bomber Shorts