S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old November 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #1
zerio
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Post Artistic Inline when you first heard about it

Hi List

I wonder when was the first time you heard and was informed that online its also possible to do artistic figures.

I myself learnt had this experience last year by March and in Aug orSpet2006 I found skatelog and then everything has changed into my life. I

It was funny to read a request to post somewhere else because a list collegue didnt know axels were possible on inline...

This is a tangible proof of how new/innovative the sport is . The equipments are being developedtomeet our needs , givemore stability and lesser and lesser weight..

Share with us when youfirst hear about Inline Artistic /Figure.

Best
zerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I never knew anything about inline figure skating until I saw the Jo Ann Schneider Farris book "How to Jump and Spin on Inline Skates". I was intrigued so I contacted PIC Skates and Jo Ann to learn more. Jo Ann and I have been good friends ever since and I'm happy to see the discipline is gradually getting more well known. By the way, for those who might not know, Jo Ann is now the editor of the About.com Ice Figure Skating Web Site. And guess what!? Another inline figure skating enthusiast is now editor of the About.com Inline Skating Web site - Carlesa Williams! That is SO cool...

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Silverwing86
Inline Figure newbie

Default 1996

I first came in contact with Inline Figure Skates when I was at the World Figure Skating Championships (on ice) in Edmonton, Canada, in 1996. They were being demonstrated there and I was majorly impressed with what I saw. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't able to purchase them or I certainly would have !

No idea what brand of skates they were (PIC's ??) and what happened between then and now, but it seems like this sport is very up an coming at this time and I'm very glad I decided to find out whether these skates were still available. Never would have thought it had already developed into a true sport, with International competitions and all, wonderful !

And now, although ancient and very much out of shape (and of course under no grand illusions of doing great things on skates like triple jumps and such , just having fun and getting some much needed exercise in the process), I find myself purchasing my first pair of Inline Figure Skates and can't wait to get started !

Silver

PS I too have purchased Jo Ann Schneiders Farris' book and, whilst doing my research on IFS, had found About.com Inline Skating as well, very useful indeed ...
Silverwing86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #4
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile My Very First Time

I used to be a competitive downhill skier and competed along with my daughter. I was looking for a way to keep in shape in the off-season. I had put on too much weight to ski my best and twice had torn my ACL. I discovered inline skates in the very early eighties. My daughter probably was the first person to have inline skates in Janesville, Wisconsin. There were no stores anywhere in Jannesville or nearby towns that I could find skate at. We finally bought a pair at Rainbo in Chicago. Later I was also doing some IISA inline speed competitions at their very beginning of their organization.

We started to learn ice figure skating together. We wanted to also be able to use our inlines indoors. One day I went to the local roller rink to get a schedule and ask about using inline skates. I happened to be there during an artistic freestyle practice session on quads. I was quite surprised at watching the session since I didn't realize you could do jumps on roller skates. I never heard of it, saw it on TV or in magazines. The rink also told me that they don't allow inlines. Remember that was the early eighties. Most ski slopes in my area also didn't allow snowboards. So times have changed.

We used to inline together and she actually did a waltz jump on her inlines which quite surprised me and got me thinking. Later on I had a girl friend that was an ice skater and we used to do the roller sessions, often with my daughter, on inlines in the early nineties. We'd go to the middle and do waltz jumps and spins but we never saw anyone else doing it or heard of it. We had no toe stops but I think I did see at Rainbo a pair of inline skates with toe stops, but never picked up a pair. I think they were Chicago skates.

Then I heard about one of the high level ice skaters doing jumps and spins on inlines and I thought that was great and what I was looking for. This was the mid-nineties and roller skating on quads at this point, but again I never heard anything about inline figure skating at that point as an event. I also thought it would be great to have an organization just focused on figure skating and all its variants. I was President of the Adult Skaters Forum at that time and did propose it to the membership (we had 200 members) and by a narrrow vote in the same ballot we merged everything into USFSA so that idea died.

I stopped skating due to a lot of book writing, but I put on a lot of weight, and after a few years went back to ice. Then I found out that there was inline figure skating in the roller skating organization. This was quite exciting. I never actually saw anyone else other than my daughter and previous girl friend doing inline freestyle figure skating moves until I finally made it to Nationals in the last year of JO. No one did it at the local rinks that I saw though I had heard about some people that tried it. That was also the last year they had an inline skating freestyle event that I could compete in.

Joe Kaplenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerio View Post
Hi List

I wonder when was the first time you heard and was informed that online its also possible to do artistic figures.

I myself learnt had this experience last year by March and in Aug orSpet2006 I found skatelog and then everything has changed into my life. I

It was funny to read a request to post somewhere else because a list collegue didnt know axels were possible on inline...

This is a tangible proof of how new/innovative the sport is . The equipments are being developedtomeet our needs , givemore stability and lesser and lesser weight..

Best
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #5
Fariba

Hi
I am Fariba Fathi from Iran. I was born 1972 in Tehran. I am coach and judge of inline artistic skating.
In Iran we havenít ice rink so many skater do inline. We havenít roller skater too.
10 years ago I started to and try to improve and develop artistic skating correctly in Iran, you know we used to inline recreational skate for artistic. On that time I made a pair of artistic skate with the old boot and rollerblade frame, I fixed them together and put some intensive plastic like picskate toe replacement of first wheel so I could have done one foot spin and toe jumps,

then started to learn from book and CDs because there werenít any coach. Then I bought a pair of picskate and encouraged my skater. I was the first people that had inline figure skate in Iran then other coaches and skaters bought and learned. After that we organized a committee and observed many coaching and judging course for all interested of my country I was impress when I saw some of them coming to Tehran from very far cities.
Now we have federation and more than 500 inline skater in many cities of Iran I prud of all of them.

Last edited by Fariba; November 25th, 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Fariba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #6
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Here in australia, Artistic on Inline was talked about at about the same time that inline took over from quads in speed....this was around 1994 or thereabouts; however nothing really seemed to take off (and still hasn't).

Rollerboi will be able to fill in more - I believe he's spent time on 'em.
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #7
filmsk8r
ifiLmSk8rs

Default Inline Figure Skates?

I didn't think of it as "artistic" or "figure" skating on inlines, but the first time I tried an inline skate that was rockered and had a toe stop was in the late 1980's. A good friend, Peter Weist, who was a local (Michigan) inline pioneer, asked me to try a pair of his "new" inlines. I was amazed that I could turn with more ease and spin. I borrowed them for a few weeks, but continued to quad indoors and inline for transportation and fun.
These are not the skates I used. But obviously, this has been around for a while.
Inline frame from Great Britain:

1960 inline frame from the USSR:

1962 inline frame from Germany:

There are tons more coming in for review. Anyone with inline skate history or photos is welcome to contribute...

Carlesa Williams
filmsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #8
zerio
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsk8r View Post

1960 inline frame from the USSR:

1980 inline frame from Great Britain:

Carlesa Williams

WOW, those images are a treasure...fantastic,,,,they are part of the first steps to launch the inline skating! Thanks so much to share them with us.

SUPER HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
zerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #9
mrkenmt

Post Artistic Inline

Would you believe that I learned about the artistic nature of inlines less then a week ago. I was searching for a toe stop for inline skates (something I kind of made about 15 years ago for myself --- I don't really like the heel skate at all). I then saw my first Pic skate. I want a pair but not for artistic reasons. I just have better stopping control with toe stops.
mrkenmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #10
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

How long on quad if any time did you have before you went to inlines? Anyone?

If you've been on quads or was taught on them, were you very young? If so how old? Just curious
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM   #11
Can't skate at all

My daughter has been on quads since she was about 8, and still does quad now (she's 17). But she has been doing inline as well for about 18 months now.

She found her quad skills transferred reasonably easily to inline, but there were some significant differences in technique. In fact, I would say (solely as an observer - I have no coaching or skating background) that her quad has benefitted. Inline seems to have to be more technically correct - there is no margin for sloppiness. If you don't land your jumps absolutely right, you are spread all over the floor! (Believe me, she has the bruises to prove it.)

So, now that she has improved her technique to make some of the trickier things work on inline, her quad has improved too.

She trains both disciplines in parallel - anything she's learning on one set of skates, she'll be learning on the others too. Spins are easiest for her on quad, jumps on inline.
Can't skate at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:33 PM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't skate at all View Post
My daughter has been on quads since she was about 8, and still does quad now (she's 17). But she has been doing inline as well for about 18 months now.

She found her quad skills transferred reasonably easily to inline, but there were some significant differences in technique. In fact, I would say (solely as an observer - I have no coaching or skating background) that her quad has benefitted. Inline seems to have to be more technically correct - there is no margin for sloppiness. If you don't land your jumps absolutely right, you are spread all over the floor! (Believe me, she has the bruises to prove it.)

So, now that she has improved her technique to make some of the trickier things work on inline, her quad has improved too.

She trains both disciplines in parallel - anything she's learning on one set of skates, she'll be learning on the others too. Spins are easiest for her on quad, jumps on inline.
thats great, is she a competitive skaters i see you mention that she jumps and has to be more techically correct.
Old January 24th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #13
Bill

Default in 1996-97

[QUOTE=zerio;76511]Hi List

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerio View Post
Hi List hi zerio

I wonder when was the first time you heard and was informed that online its also possible to do artistic figures.back in the mid 90's I was at my rinkSkate world in santa clara when a cool looking girl on inlines started doing jumps and spins I was skating on some rollerblade lightnings attempting some og what I sawthen went home and did some web surfing. the next time I( saw her I told her aboutaq.com:81/figureskating.html"] a list I found[/URL] that rated different elements on difficulty and had other things I told her about the list and she replied "oh I wrote that"

she was really cool and a few years later I videoed her doing the dreaded [="home.pacbell.net/sk8rbill/"]axle on inlines

Best
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #14
Wendy Hammond

Smile

My boys ice skating coach introduced Edward and Peter to pic skates when our ice rink closed for renovations about 2 1/2 years ago. They both loved it immediately.They have since changed to Snow Whites. Edward still ice skates - he finds ice easier than inline however for some reason his double axel and triple salchow are more secure on the inlines (he claims this is because it hurts much more if he falls). Spinning seems so easy on ice - quad skaters seem to find spinning on inlines easier than ice skaters, they manage to avoid the toe stop a lot better (any comments????)
Peter spends a lot of time trying out footwork - he loves heel spread-eagles etc
Wendy Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote