S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #1
CyCy
Senior Member
 
CyCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default first day up report (OUCHIES!) ;)

had some family things going on and to be honest, I think I had a little bit of the willies, so I postponed a couple of weeks. but finally on monday, I joined the club and last night had my first practice.

well, it was interesting, I'll say that. a few extra pounds packed on added to my age (64), it was disconcerting to say the least. I expected more from myself but after a few minutes, I had to laugh at any expectations whatsoever.

I got out there and started rolling around. I find it interesting that I am such a beginner now! I mean I'm not and I know what to do, which is posture and stay over the skate and don't be too aggressive until balance returns. but it was hard. I found just stroking is not easy. I know HOW to stroke, how to move, but my balance isn't there yet. so even lifting one foot and extending is nearly impossible. but I was determined to keep trying. round and round.

after an hour of round and round, round and round, I found myself very tired. but did I listen to my body? of course not.

I did take a break but really, should have taken off my skates and come back the next day. instead I got right back out there and did something...I'll be damned if I can figure what but I did something, lost my balance, stumbled around, doing the not gonna fall tapdance until I collapsed on my keister, breaking the fall with my thumb of all things! ha! so today I have a sore wrist...jammed my thumb but good. I think the extra pounds saved me to be honest. padded that fall, no damage to the tailbone and that was fine.

after that I continued to roll around STILL, dope that I am. I felt I had to keep the muscles moving because I was concerned about them cramping up or hurting me later. I kept that up another five or ten minutes until I found myself sweating and really really tired. So I said to myself, "SELF tomorrow is another day" and stumbled off the floor, removed my skates from my poor beleaguered feet. (buying cosmetic pads today before getting over to the rink) I checked my trucks and they're not right....unevenly adjusted so tomorrow John at the rink is going to straighten that out for me. in this sport there's always a John to help. (thank you John)

this morning aside from the sore wrist, the rest of me is strangely okay. no soreness to speak of. no extreme tiredness. I think it's the situps. so after I finish this, I'll get in there and do my situps and later this morning, downstairs I will go, to work the treadmill and the eliptical and later today I'll get over to my rink and do another hour (or however long I can go...THIS TIME I'M LISTENING TO MY BODY) until I build up my stamina and my balance.

moral of the story: I WILL do this.

Last edited by CyCy; March 9th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

CyCy,
Your description reminded me of the prison warden that said: "The beatings will continue till the morale improves". Only you are the warden and the prisoner. OUCH!
__________________
Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #3
DanSchallock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 439
Default

Congrats on getting back out ther Cycy, and awesome attitude on being strong willed and believing in yourself and what you can do.
see it, and be it!
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #4
DerekR
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deerfield, IL
Posts: 68
Default

When I first got back on my skates after a long time off, it was a real effort working back to my old form. Which I'm still not there.

I will suggest you wear wrist guards at least. Wrists are the most common injury for adults.

-Derek
__________________
Custom Harlick with Roll-line Matrix
Semi-custom SP Teri with Snyder Imperial Lites
Riedell 297 with Snyder Imperial
DerekR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #5
shellysk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 137
Default Wrist Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekR View Post
When I first got back on my skates after a long time off, it was a real effort working back to my old form. Which I'm still not there.

I will suggest you wear wrist guards at least. Wrists are the most common injury for adults.

-Derek
I second that! Ask me how I know... But, congrats on getting out there and doing it. It sounds like you enjoyed yourself too, even though you were a bit frustrated. Keep up the good work, it will come back quickly!
__________________
Shelly - Milwaukee, WI
Reidell Gold Star/RollLine Giotto Plate & Wheel, MicroBearing
Custom Harlick/Snyder Advantage/Bones Super Elite/RollLine MicroBearing
shellysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #6
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!
 
slhallford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rancho Cordova, CA
Posts: 1,672
Default

Way to go! Good for you for getting out there and DOING it.

Wrists are very common to injure, unless you're me and it's all knee all the time.

S
__________________
Sarah
I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso
slhallford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #7
CyCy
Senior Member
 
CyCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
CyCy,
Your description reminded me of the prison warden that said: "The beatings will continue till the morale improves". Only you are the warden and the prisoner. OUCH!
Hi...ancient Jim, well...........I wouldn't go that far. I truly enjoyed the effort although not necessarily the results yet and not even necessarily how I did. But I give myself props for pushing it. (just not quite so hard the next time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
Congrats on getting back out ther Cycy, and awesome attitude on being strong willed and believing in yourself and what you can do.
see it, and be it!
-Dan
Hi Dan, and thank you. I am seeing it and I'm determined to do it. I KNOW what I can do if I put my mind to it. Even though I'm older what I want isn't beyond my reach: I want to be excellent again in forward figures, I want to work on my dance and be good at it. I realize my goals take a lot of practice, even under the best of circumstances. But what I lack in age, I can make up for in practice and concentration. Thank you so much for your kind words! They mean a lot!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekR View Post
When I first got back on my skates after a long time off, it was a real effort working back to my old form. Which I'm still not there.

I will suggest you wear wrist guards at least. Wrists are the most common injury for adults.

-Derek

Hi Derek! Thank you for the advice. Yes.....I wore wrist pads yesterday. I have a brace from my old carpal surgery and I used that and it actually helped immensely in helping me relieve the strain on my wrist. After two days, the pain is nearly gone. Also taking my time and not pushing myself beyond exhaustion. I'm older and my stamina isn't there yet. I'm not used to being on skates for more than an hour at a time. But that's okay. A journey starts with the first step. And I'm on my way! And you too! I'm very proud of anyone who is willing to do the work.

Besides...you know? it's never really the destination...it's the getting there that's all the fun.

(I love roller skating! watching other older people who are GOOD is absolutely inspiring! we have a lot of older skaters at my rink. I think the majority are older so I'm in good company)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellysk View Post
I second that! Ask me how I know... But, congrats on getting out there and doing it. It sounds like you enjoyed yourself too, even though you were a bit frustrated. Keep up the good work, it will come back quickly!

Hi Shelly! Yup, I got a little smarter yesterday evening. I had a pad for my ankle for breaking in my boot, an ace bandage for my wrist AND a brace. When I got there I went with the brace because it will hold my hand in position should I take a fall. The ace was just in case I TOOK the fall, which fortunately I didn't.

(how do you know?) ()

Thank you for the encouragement. What a terrific forum. I couldn't ask for more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
Way to go! Good for you for getting out there and DOING it.

Wrists are very common to injure, unless you're me and it's all knee all the time.

S
Thank you Sarah! Well...I sure got out there, that's for sure! And the support at the rink mirrors the support I get here. Yesterday, second day back and everyone says hello and even knows my name, which I'm ashamed to say I can't reciprocate yet. But I'm so happy. And they're all so encouraging and understanding. Everyone's been there. And most of them are practiciing for preregionals, which means they're under pressure but still take the time to be especially nice to me, which is so reassuring.

I got a TEENY TINY bit surer on my feet. Still stumbling around. Still not even close to not a menace to myself and others - I still trip and have to constantly check my balance but there were moments...........I almost could feel that old smooth feeling, going from one foot to the other. I think a few weeks and I'll at least be able to stand over and control my skates.

I'm going to keep my wrists protected from now on. I'm strong in the legs and butt (too well padded there) but my little wrists will be padded for at least a little while longer.

THANK YOU ALL! Your words means a lot. No practice until Saturday and Sunday and I may have to miss it because I have houseguests coming but I will be at the rink Monday first thing. (I will try to wake up early enough Saturday morning and scoot over there. I hate to miss any practice now while I'm trying to find my center.)

I'd like to keep this thread going as a journal of my progress week to week. Maybe someone else will find encouragement from these intense trials and tribulations!


Last edited by CyCy; March 10th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
emtdpf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 609
Default

Hi CyCy.... hows the floor? I know that they recoated it on Saturday......getting ready for Pre Regionals...........

I was going to come down last night, but...I had a different vehicle that doesn't travel so nicely on the highway.... maybe next Wednesday......

Looking forward to meeting you.
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #9
CyCy
Senior Member
 
CyCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdpf View Post
Hi CyCy.... hows the floor? I know that they recoated it on Saturday......getting ready for Pre Regionals...........

I was going to come down last night, but...I had a different vehicle that doesn't travel so nicely on the highway.... maybe next Wednesday......

Looking forward to meeting you.

Hi!

The floor is perfect...not tacky at all and very fast. It's just gorgeous. I left before the session. I figure a few more months and I'll be hanging out for session too. Looking forward to meeting you too!


Cynthia
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #10
shellysk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 137
Default How Do I Know?

Well CyCy,

I took a hard fall during dance practice at Nationals in 2009, completely tore the major ligament in my right wrist, partially tore every other tendon and ligament and cracked or broke every bone that can be broken in that wrist. It has taken 3 surgeries and 2 years of PT/OT to put things back together again. I had 2 surgeries right after 2009 Nationals to fix the major ligament and we waited to see if the rest would heal itself. It didn't, so I had another major surgery this past October (after Nationals and my daughter's wedding - I made her wedding dress). I just finished round 2 of PT/OT 3 weeks ago. My surgeon made me promise I would never again skate without wrist protection on my right hand, as he will not be able to put things back together if I take another bad fall without a wrist guard with a thumb spica on it.

Last night I learned another valuable lesson. When doing an initial takeoff on figure 3, you need to put all 4 wheels flat on the floor, not just the front 2!! Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way, and took my first fall since 2009. I hit the left wrist first, then the right, then my tush (with both legs up in the air) then my skates. I am pretty sore today, but I don't think I did any real damage. I am icing and hoping it feels better quickly, but if not in a few days I will be going back to the surgeon to make sure. Such a bummer!! I guess that is what I get for challenging up to the Premier Gold figure event!
__________________
Shelly - Milwaukee, WI
Reidell Gold Star/RollLine Giotto Plate & Wheel, MicroBearing
Custom Harlick/Snyder Advantage/Bones Super Elite/RollLine MicroBearing
shellysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #11
CyCy
Senior Member
 
CyCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellysk View Post
Well CyCy,

I took a hard fall during dance practice at Nationals in 2009, completely tore the major ligament in my right wrist, partially tore every other tendon and ligament and cracked or broke every bone that can be broken in that wrist. It has taken 3 surgeries and 2 years of PT/OT to put things back together again. I had 2 surgeries right after 2009 Nationals to fix the major ligament and we waited to see if the rest would heal itself. It didn't, so I had another major surgery this past October (after Nationals and my daughter's wedding - I made her wedding dress). I just finished round 2 of PT/OT 3 weeks ago. My surgeon made me promise I would never again skate without wrist protection on my right hand, as he will not be able to put things back together if I take another bad fall without a wrist guard with a thumb spica on it.

Last night I learned another valuable lesson. When doing an initial takeoff on figure 3, you need to put all 4 wheels flat on the floor, not just the front 2!! Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way, and took my first fall since 2009. I hit the left wrist first, then the right, then my tush (with both legs up in the air) then my skates. I am pretty sore today, but I don't think I did any real damage. I am icing and hoping it feels better quickly, but if not in a few days I will be going back to the surgeon to make sure. Such a bummer!! I guess that is what I get for challenging up to the Premier Gold figure event!

Shelly, oh Lord, I am SO sorry. This is a hellishly dangerous sport sometimes. Please please take care.

I know a little of what you speak. In 85 two weeks before regionals I took a fall casually playing with a dance move, a left mohawk during a crowded session. I twisted my ankle under me, fell on top of it and fractured the instep. Because I thought I'd make nationals that year, I stuffed it into my concrete hard Imperial and skated on. I couldn't walk but I was determined to skate. That instep has never been right again and now I have bad arthritis in it.

I promise you, I will think of you every time I step out on to the floor from now on until I have my balance. I am btw, by profession an artist, so hurting my right hand would just about break my heart.

I hope you feel better today and always. Big hug to you. Really big. Thank you for sharing this. You made an impression, that's for sure. (sigh)

Cynthia
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #12
shellysk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 137
Default Thanks

Hi CyCy,

It is feeling a bit better today, thankfully. Before that, I was never really afraid of falling, now it is my biggest fear. The fall was called by hitting a rhinestone off of someone's costume - stopped my wheels dead in their tracks. I did have the presence of mind to find it and take it before someone else hit it. It wasn't even a swarovski!! It took months before I could skate dance without thinking constantly of falling, but I did it anyhow. I get some flak from people about the wristguard, especially my former coach, but I don't care. I am not so vain that I will put the appearance before my personal safety and use of that hand in the future. I just made it look as pretty as possible! I swear, I got SO MANY compliments on it at Nationals.

Enjoy your skating, and be wise and safe. You can do both at the same time!
__________________
Shelly - Milwaukee, WI
Reidell Gold Star/RollLine Giotto Plate & Wheel, MicroBearing
Custom Harlick/Snyder Advantage/Bones Super Elite/RollLine MicroBearing
shellysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #13
CyCy
Senior Member
 
CyCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default DAY THREE

well, I've worn out my ankle and it's bloody mess. UGH.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm skating every single day for hours on end. I created a nasty blister first day, second day it got a little bigger and nastier. I haven't skated since Weds so the skin had dried out and scabbed over and today I guess I cracked it wide open and it began bleeding like there was no tomorrow, hurting like crazy and no amount of foam or anything else was helping. I ended up taking off the stocking and skating with a sock on, which is absolutely against my religion but felt somewhat better!

But the truth is pain in itself is exhausting and after about an hour and a half of boot on, boot off, skating (or whatever you want to call what I'm doing) in between I finally took off my skates and gave up for the day. Before leaving I asked Jason (fr the pro shop) if he could punch out the boot and bless his heart he did and put a little Lexol on it so it SHOULD be okay. Tomorrow is another day.

DAY THREE PROGRESS

Felt okay, pain in right foot is screwing me up, making it hard to get my bearings because it is causing me to not put all my weight down on that foot and distort myself so I'm skating even more peculiarly than I ordinarily would.

That said, after an hour or so, bleeding ankle or not, I still felt better on my skates. Now it's starting to happen that I can feel where I'm placing my weight inside the boot so I know where I am over my plate and my edges feel much better, stronger when I slalom. Someone at the rink actually said there are moments when I get my bearings and I look good, and that I look like I know what I am doing (or what I should be doing) so I guess I'm not doing badly...for me there are moments when I'm not tripping over myself and stumbling forward and falling sideways and actually feel there is hope!

So day three was good.

I came home and searched around for skating patterns online and found a couple of nice ones at Jalie in Canada. Ordered a skirt pattern and a dress pattern and feel pretty superduper (even though I'm actually going to have to SEW the damned things!).

ONWARD!


Oh...and Shelly...I'm wearing my hand brace. In fact, went out on the floor wand then ran right back and put it on. So THANK YOU~
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #14
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

CyCy,
Have you tried "Mole Skin"? When I get blisters, I cut a hole in the middle of a piece of mole skin and put the hole over the blister. That way you won't cover it with the mole skin, but the mole skin will protect the surrounding area and give a bit of height around the blister or open wound. Then put some cotton with an antibiotic ointment over the blister and then cover with another piece of mole skin. Don't skimp on the amount of mole skin you use.

Hey! It works for me...
__________________
Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #15
CyCy
Senior Member
 
CyCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default

Jim MOLESKIN!! Right! thanks for the idea. I'll pick some up tomorrow. I gotta do something. This is murder!
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #16
emtdpf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 609
Default

CyCy... are you going to be there Wed, just before the session Or for the session?

Myself and I guess a few of my friends from Schenectady are going to skate the session to check out the floor, and get the weirdies out before preregionals......

Just wondering... I will probably be there earlier as I only work in Windsor and get out at 5......

It would be nice to meet you finally.......
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #17
CyCy
Senior Member
 
CyCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default

Hi Don!

i'm Cynthia, btw.

can't make any promises in terms of how I'll feel tomorrow and how long I'll be there. today we'll see how the ankle holds up. I promise, we will meet very soon, if only because I intend to be there for preregionals and regionals in full rink rat mode, being a true hanger on-er and groupie type. (with grey hair.) (the worst kind)


best to you...
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #18
emtdpf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
Hi Don!

i'm Cynthia, btw.

can't make any promises in terms of how I'll feel tomorrow and how long I'll be there. today we'll see how the ankle holds up. I promise, we will meet very soon, if only because I intend to be there for preregionals and regionals in full rink rat mode, being a true hanger on-er and groupie type. (with grey hair.) (the worst kind)


best to you...
Always nice to have other people cheering at Pre/Regionals.........
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #19
CyCy
Senior Member
 
CyCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default DAY FOUR

I actually felt almost good. Still tripping along, still surprising myself with how much trouble I'm having with balance and feeling my center. Yet.........I could casually roll around the rink, slowly, talking, looking elsewhere, looking up, here there down...I was even able to fool around on the circles. Not one footed of course, but almost. Could feel the tracing, could almost....well...almost. Kept it short. Still doing only an hour plus or so. I think the struggling is what's so exhausting. That and of course, the tension of being so wary and aware of my shortcomings and difficulties.

Covered the bad ankle with a foam pad, a soft sock AND a stocking over it (didn't have time for moleskin search yesterday).

Boot felt better. Not great. I suspect these will end up being my figure boots and I'll start looking around for a nice soft dance boot because these are STIFF and they're not ever going to not be stiff. I'm surprised. Maybe in a year I'll feel differently. I'm not even thinking about how I'm going to deal with an Atlas with no toe stop. The thing is, toe stops mean nothing to me at this point.

Oh yeah, I fell again. This time forward, on my knee. (laughing) So I'm laying down and I rolled over and just lay there on my back looking at the roof and laughing. Ridiculous is how I felt. Not too much damage, only to my pride. Everyone there was mortified of course. One woman asked me if I knew why I fell. I didn't have a clue.

I think it may have been the fact that I'm starting to DO things I have to do to move along. I have never been overly cautious. I don't move that way, I like to move. I've always had this thing for the feeling of speed, not exactly, but that wind on you as you pick up speed. And doing backwards dances...like ( I think it's) the Southland Swing?. One of my all time favorite dances...that strong inner after stepping forward from the back swing lift. I have always loved doing that particular dance solo. I swear I will do it again. It was all I could do to NOT try to skate backwards yesterday. For all my nervousness, I feel sort of unafraid in a way now. (almost) I know what i have to feel I'm doing to do what I want to do, if you follow what I'm saying. (YES I HAD ON MY WRIST GUARD THANK YOU SHELLY!!) (and it felt good to have it there as I rather softly hit the deck!)

There is a knee scrape but nothing serious. No bruises, just a couple of raw scrapes. I iced it, just to be sure and took a couple of naproxins before I went to bed but no soreness or swelling today. Just knee scrapes like a knuckleheaded kid would have, except I'm no kid. All this flopping around is killing my beautiful white boots that don't crease for anything. I'm glad I'm an artist because I can touch up with acrylic paint and then polish. But it's sad to see them getting worn down on the toe.

battle wounds, is what I call em. fighting the good fight.


ONWARD!!!

PS. hoping to meet don later. hoping to meet all of you at some point or another!
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #20
emtdpf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
I actually felt almost good. Still tripping along, still surprising myself with how much trouble I'm having with balance and feeling my center. Yet.........I could casually roll around the rink, slowly, talking, looking elsewhere, looking up, here there down...I was even able to fool around on the circles. Not one footed of course, but almost. Could feel the tracing, could almost....well...almost. Kept it short. Still doing only an hour plus or so. I think the struggling is what's so exhausting. That and of course, the tension of being so wary and aware of my shortcomings and difficulties.

Covered the bad ankle with a foam pad, a soft sock AND a stocking over it (didn't have time for moleskin search yesterday).

Boot felt better. Not great. I suspect these will end up being my figure boots and I'll start looking around for a nice soft dance boot because these are STIFF and they're not ever going to not be stiff. I'm surprised. Maybe in a year I'll feel differently. I'm not even thinking about how I'm going to deal with an Atlas with no toe stop. The thing is, toe stops mean nothing to me at this point.

Oh yeah, I fell again. This time forward, on my knee. (laughing) So I'm laying down and I rolled over and just lay there on my back looking at the roof and laughing. Ridiculous is how I felt. Not too much damage, only to my pride. Everyone there was mortified of course. One woman asked me if I knew why I fell. I didn't have a clue.

I think it may have been the fact that I'm starting to DO things I have to do to move along. I have never been overly cautious. I don't move that way, I like to move. I've always had this thing for the feeling of speed, not exactly, but that wind on you as you pick up speed. And doing backwards dances...like ( I think it's) the Southland Swing?. One of my all time favorite dances...that strong inner after stepping forward from the back swing lift. I have always loved doing that particular dance solo. I swear I will do it again. It was all I could do to NOT try to skate backwards yesterday. For all my nervousness, I feel sort of unafraid in a way now. (almost) I know what i have to feel I'm doing to do what I want to do, if you follow what I'm saying. (YES I HAD ON MY WRIST GUARD THANK YOU SHELLY!!) (and it felt good to have it there as I rather softly hit the deck!)

There is a knee scrape but nothing serious. No bruises, just a couple of raw scrapes. I iced it, just to be sure and took a couple of naproxins before I went to bed but no soreness or swelling today. Just knee scrapes like a knuckleheaded kid would have, except I'm no kid. All this flopping around is killing my beautiful white boots that don't crease for anything. I'm glad I'm an artist because I can touch up with acrylic paint and then polish. But it's sad to see them getting worn down on the toe.

battle wounds, is what I call em. fighting the good fight.


ONWARD!!!

PS. hoping to meet don later. hoping to meet all of you at some point or another!
I will be there!..Also have a couple of people meeting me there for session from my rink.........hope that its a little busier than it has been.......gives me inspiration when other skaters from other rinks are there.

Sorry to hear that you are still falling........ but, keep practising, you'll be out there showing me how to do some of these dances......
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.